Here are the English/British leaders Americans learn about in school. Are we missing anyone important?

Here are the English/British leaders Americans learn about in school. Are we missing anyone important?
>Richard the Lionheart
>John (only because of the Magna Carta)
>Henry VIII
>Mary
>Elizabeth
>George III
>Victoria
>Winston Churchill

>Richard the Lionheart
Actually he was French.

>Not learning about James VI

Most important you're missing that come to mind:

William the conqueror
Oliver Cromwell
Duke of Wellington
Disraeli
Gladstone

Maggie T

Attlee is more important than Churchill

OP here. Forgot William the Conqueror, that was dumb of me, but the others we don't.

King Alfred the Great.

The only king we call great. Civilised and forged unity across a large swathe of England in the face of Scandi threats. A true hero, and easily our most important pre-Norman monarch

>Le let all the pakis in man

Unfortunately we didn't even learn about the last 3 at school here which is a shame as they're all interesting

But you learn about Oliver Cromwell? That's weird.

>no Viscount Palmerston
wtf i hate americans now

>Pitt the younger

that's like saying it's weird Americans learn about Lincoln

Didn't Oliver Cromwell's work all get erased one generation later when the monarchy returned? At least Abraham Lincoln's work remained.

How important is Edward of Woodstock/Black Prince?

You don't learn about Cromwell? That's completely mental.

>Actually he was French.
Yes, born in that famous French city of Oxford.

James VI/I - the literal worst king Britain has ever had. There's a reason he's ignored.

The English Civil War gets zero mention outside of college classes.

We learned all about him in History. How was he a bad monarch?

> King James Bible

> Beginnings of British Union

> United the country after Mary's Catholic idiocy.

He's probably one of the best you've had

The question you have to ask is: why did he feel the need for a new bible?

The man was losing grip due to the said religious turmoil in the country.

British union? The Scots hated the idea, the English hated the idea. He forced it on the two nations because he lacked any other redeeming qualities.

He was good at languages and writing... wow.

Well the KJV is one of the most influential books in the English language, so I wouldn't shrug it off.

I think you're ignoring his contributions towards helping stabilize England, especially after the Marian persecutions.

And regardless of their thoughts at the time, The Union worked out to be a wonderful thing. There would be no British identity without it.

You haven't got a scooby.

in muh american school we had a solid 2-3 full pages on brits suppressing irish because muh catholic fear (my state is majority irish diaspora and catholics btw). do brits ever learn that much about the irish?

Look it up, son.

True. Britain worked out well in the end, but due to no input by him.

I have, everyone not stupid enough to take the word of some men he fired as set in stone acknowledge him as a great king.

Weird, in my state we learned that two brits led the conquest of ireland, then both wanted to leave because the Irish were so uncivilized. All this taught in one paragraph, Irish never mentioned again until a sentence on immigrants.

I was taught the names of at least 10 British leaders during highschool, can brits say the same or do you guys not even care about america pre world wars

Spastic.

We had a segment on The Troubles in High School History.

Fairly sure your Founders and Lincoln would be touched on. You guys weren't very influential before the late 19th century though due to your isolationist policies desu.

in grade 12 british literature we had to memorize the monarchs from henry vii to liz ii

not necessarily all of them in order, but i remember a hellish section on the final where you had to match the writer to the monarch of their time

He brought Britain to financial ruin through mismanagement and frivolous spending - the man gave away. Parliament hated him, so he disbanded it three times. He was not a good king.

Nice, cogent argument, dipshit.

hijacking thread real quick for brit input

looking for something to read, will read first brit book recommended by brit (inb4 harry potter)

if no (you) happens I'll just read french book tbqh

not a thing
the empire is completely ignored too

fifty shades of grey

>no Alfred the Great
Anglo-Saxon England best England, N*rmans fuck off reeeee

:^|

If my number ends with a number you shall ignore him and read Empire: how Britain made the modern world by Niall Ferguson

Ferguson is crap

His father was Henry II, Henry the II's mother was Matilda, Matilda's Mother was also called Matilda after she changed her name from Edith, she was a member of the original English Royal House. This makes Richard 1/8 english

1/8th english
1/2 aquitinian
1/16 dutch
1/16 norman
1/4 anjou

One of my ancestors was one of the knights who first helped conquer ireland with William Strongbow

>1/2 aquitinian
>1/16 norman
>1/4 anjou
So basically 13/16 French

>William the conqueror
He asked for British/English leaders, not people who led England/Britain.

He was many things but is still revered in both England and France.

Alfred the Great. One of the most important figures in England's early history.

>The only king we call great.

Well there's Cnut the Great, but let's not talk about that.

Learning about European, African, and Native American cultures was one of my favorite parts of AP US History in all honesty.

>I only know one king, it's James I and I don't like him the post

Kennath MacAlpin
Constantine I
Donald II
David I
Robert the Bruce

will do

how do brits keep track of family lines? in america almost every document pre-Ellis island is lost, do you guys just have family archives or something

Chronicles , accounts and pipe rolls from the time mostly tell you, we do have a very big family book though and a very rare surname

I learned about cromwell and the english civil war in high school and I think maybe elementary school

I have it on my bookshelf but haven't gotten around to it yet.

How so?

Ninth grade world history 2bh

It's called the war of the 3 kingdoms.

Will add this picture to the collection.

Please make one of Pepe Cameron fucking Wojack the pig

I lack the necessary skills.