Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in God?

Why/not?

No, Sup Forums exists

I would seal my lips around that asshole and make her shit in my mouth.

No. It's almost impossible to be intelligent and study philosophy and still end up religious. Religion is for the uneducated or the campartmentalized mind.

I pity people who believe in ghosts in the clouds and monsters under the bed.

I know this is a bait but still.

>Religion is for the uneducated

Study successful educated people

It really makes

Yet some of the smartest people in history were the same way and then became religious at a later age

How is that bait?

Just because you disagree doesn't mean its bait. He's right, the majority of philosophers are non-religious. Especially those who specialize in philosophy of religion.

It is extremely rare to be both intelligent and well-versed in logic/philosophy, and believe in God.

only science and nature exist.

there's no one whose magical.

i like to believe we move on somewhere and are reunited with lost ones, but I'm not some preaching bible basher.

there was a man named jesus as much as there was a man named spartacus, a woman mamed cleopatra.

anyone who needs the bible and the """"word of God"""""" for a moral compass should be institualized.

Not a huge fan of organized religion but I think there's something bigger than us

>i'm sooooo intelligent
>campartmentalized

I do not believe in a benevolent god. Either there is no god, or he is evil for not making all muslim children stillborn.

Because it's copy pasta. Stale copy pasta.

because, proven facts seem more appealing than having faith in something that has no true backround besides hearsay

true there probably is something bigger than us but it would have to be beyond our world, too many planets and solar systems to believe only earth matters

If dubs there is no god

Check em

I have a hard time believing in fictional characters.

guess there is

>its bait because I don't agree with it

ok

not bait

oh boy
chek'd

A belief system that betrays facts for tradition and faith. Something that's just an evolved form of a system developed from the beginning of our civilizations. Those answers can't be the correct ones, and science is constantly moving in this direction. Where's the physical evidence?

I don't believe in the pink unicorn either.

He killed baby's fuck that nigger

yes but its nothing like they tell you.

What an autistic thing to say. I'm becoming a Neurologist and I believe in God.

No, based on personal observations and experiences.

I went to bible school. Had baptism, communion, confirmation. Shit childhood wit alcoholic dad, mom who literally fucks around with "white magic". Could've died 3 times now. Age 7 went flying through dashboard in car accident cause dad was drunk. Age like 8 babysitters son had a pillow over me and I could not breath in horrible pain. Age 18 robbed at gunpoint. I'm no angel. I do degenerate shit. But you can't tell me that's part of gods plan. Little kids who die in fires. Homes destroyed in places like Haiti or Lousiana. A father killed buying milk. A mother who struggles to feed her 3 kids after the father left, one kid came out retarded, and a son who is in and out of juvy. No one 'is destined' to deserve shit. Its natural selection. Survival of the fittest. Everything happens for a reason. Magic is just science we don't understand yet.

which one and why that one in particular?

God exists. It isnt something separate from us. The sum of all consciousness is god. When you learn to accept that we are manifestations of something much larger you'll understand what God is

I used to not believe in God, but then somebody on Sup Forums posted a pic of that girl from Neverending Story, and made some really cogent points about the folly of atheism. Now I've accepted Jesus Christ into my heart. I once was lost, but now I'm found!

>The sum of all consciousness is god
>we are manifestations of something much larger
You're contradicting yourself here, no?

Don't bother trying to pick apart vague spirituality.

Because I just don't.

Post the pic

why do newfags care if their mother dies in her sleep?

?

no, cuz i'm still a virgin

google image harlequin fetus

Religion is for the uneducated. Example: Africa, all religious as fuck and stupid like a 6 year old with down syndrome.

Also most scientist are atheist. So we have a clear line between the smartest who arent religious and the dumbest who are.

There is no proof of a god. None. As for those educated people who do believe in a diety, what classes did they take proving the existence of a god? Philosophy? Fail....

more of this girl?

What did he do before humans created him

Some may think that the individual who spend his or her life memorizing shit out of a book just to be able to spew it out on command isn't actually very smart

Well, if I look at the same perspective you look from, there is no proof that there is no god.

β€œIs God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

-Epicurus

No. If God existed then there would be no point in praying to him because he "has a plan" for everyone and praying wouldn't change things. However if praying did change things then that means God isn't perfect, and therefore not God.

Additionally, a thought popularized by Karl Marx, religion is a way to keep the lower class down. This works because you teach them that they don't need to try and improve their lives now because they'll have it all taken care of in the next life, so they all believe that "it'll all work out in the end."

I cannot believe in a being something that has no evidence and expects unconditional trust.

No, because my family has never been religious.

>becoming
Being a Freshman in college and watching neurosurgeon videos on Youtube doesn't give you any credibility in neurology

Assuming Christianity here:

You don't realize what it means if God were to prevent all evil. It means the end of the world. It means the second coming, the rapture, and the apocalypse. It means casting all the unbelievers into the pit of fire.

God isnt going to just sit back and let humans do all kinds of fucked up shit and then keep cleaning up the mess. When God fixes the world, it's gonna get fixed HARD.

So the answer is that He is obviously able, and He is willing, He just hasn't done it yet.

>

I don't need to believe because it keeps happening whether I believe it or not.

It's not a belief powered energy structure.

i am not that religious but i do believe there is some 'being' that created us i see religion as something that creates fear in people to stay organized and that fear is backed by a lot of things to give that fear a little realism, well these are just my opinions

So God would rather put a thumb up his ass and sit on it, than help the world?

Sounds like someone I want to believe in!

>there was a man named jesus as much as there was a man named spartacus
Actually, this is bullshit.
Jesus most likely didn't exist. The only "evidence" of jesus' existence is in the altered documents of the historians at the time. None of them mention a "jesus" but some rather vague statement of the christ.
One of the historians were murdered before the entry was made.

Sauce?

You don't understand the nature of prayer and what prayer really is in the context of Christianity. It's not a vending machine where you insert prayer and receive candy.

God exists outside of time. There's no "changing the future". He sees it all. The past, present, and future all just "are".

Basically, you're constraining God by time as if He's just floating along in time with us, flipping switches as we ask for things.

Education to Become a Neurologist in the United States
Four years of pre-medical education in a college or university
Four years of medical school resulting in an M.D. or D.O. degree (doctor of medicine or doctor of osteopathy degree)
One year internship in either internal medicine or medicine/surgery
At least 3 years of specialty training in an accredited neurology residency program
>WHere'd you study user?
>Protip
No neurologist would inaccurately use the word autistic like you did.

there are tombs of a lot of prophets if there were other prophets than there would also be jesus or Hazrat Eesa according to muslim history

What did "god" do before we created him?

>e it yet.
If god doesn't make a perfect world even though he is omnipotent then he is malevolent.

>flipping switches as we ask for things
>He sees it all
I'm so glad these things were in the Bible and not half assed arguments religious people made, oh wait.

If it truly were perfect he wouldn't need to "flip switches." You're basically saying God has a lot of blueprints around and will implement them as we ask for them, but if it were perfect he wouldn't need multiple options to choose from, since it would be perfect form the start.

Am a good guy, in shape and pretty chill. Still virgin. Am 21. Yeah God totally exists.

Like I said, you don't understand.

If God decided to stop all evil today, it would mean you being cast into the pit of fire.

So yes He's willing. And He will end all evil. And of course he's able. He just hasn't done it yet. How can we ever understand God's timeline? Maybe He's waiting so that as many people can be saved as possible. Maybe by allowing all the evil in the world to exist, he's also allowing more people to become saved and get to heaven.

Either way, God isnt just going to sit there and flip switches to stop all evil from happening. Humans have the free will to make choices, and Satan has his influence over the world. God doesn't do things imperfectly, so when he fixes evil in the world, it means destroying Satan, casting all the unsaved into the pit of fire, and remaking the world. Aka the book of revelations. You should actually be glad that God hasn't done it yet user.

Once we crack the human brain and learn to transfer all of it's belongings into a machine, you will no longer have to believe in God.

Hence, why I ALSO am becoming a Neurologist.

I believe in gods. Perhaps an arche. Because i want to.

I agree with this, but it's not from Epicurus. Epicurus lived before the Christians, and the greek gods aren't so powerful, so he can't talk about them here.

Immature drivel. Something fucked up happened, when fucked up things happen the natural system makes sure it's good and if it doesn't it goes to hell.
Praying for anything aside from your own mental condition is kind of idiotic, it's challenging the pure perfectness of nature with your own sin tainted judgements.

God is so beyond caring about individuals. You think God cares, it doesn't even pay attention it just has a righteous law that it fucks you over for not abiding by, everything aside that is real basic cause and effect. And the 11th commandment is thou shalt not fuck with raw C Poppa.

The writing's on the wall.

>The sum of all consciousness is god. When you learn to accept that we are manifestations of something much larger you'll understand what God is
I've gotta argue semantics and point out that all consciousness is ATTACHED to God.

I don't have suace 'cause it comes from more than onesource and more than a while ago.

Mythicists' arguments are fairly plausible, Ehrman says. According to them, Jesus was never mentioned in any Roman sources and there is no archeological evidence that Jesus ever existed. Even Christian sources are problematic – the Gospels come long after Jesus' death, written by people who never saw the man.
But i challenge you to find evidence of his existence.

So he is useless.

religion just started as stories to instill morals into the young that just got blown out of proportion

The only reason to believe in God/Allah/Yahweh are a couple old books written by some Greeks conned by some illiterate desert nomads. These books tell stories no different than any other creation myths with acts that are as believable as those attributed to Zeus and Odin. Doesn't seem like a good enough reason to believe in an unfalsifiable afterlife. I have as much evidence for Eris and Sithrak the Bind Gibberer as I do for the God of Abraham.

He did make a perfect world. Humans fucked it up because He wanted us to have free will instead of being automatons.

You're arguing that a perfect God means the entire world would be perfect forever and nothing bad would ever happen. That's stupid. user was trying to claim there's a logical inconsistency with prayer, saying that either God has a plan and everything is predetermined so prayer is useless, or prayer actually changes what God was planning or doing so that means he doesn't have a perfect plan. I'm saying that framing it that way is a misunderstanding of the nature of what prayer is, as well as constraining God by our conception of time.

Atheists have a gross misunderstanding of what prayer is. Like I said, prayer isn't like a vending machine where you insert a prayer and Jesus just gives you something.

>anyone who needs the bible and the """"word of God"""""" for a moral compass should be institualized.
How did the word of god get so infamous as to necessitate a worldwide religious cover up?

> if there were other prophets than there would also be jesus
This is just jumping to conclusions.
What is the earliest built tomb of these prophets?
Also, never trust a religiousfag with the history books.

If an ass like that exists
I do now

>tips fedora

>Humans have the free will to make choices
Then why do people hate gays so much? I mean, it's free will user.
aLSO SAUCE FOR ALL THIS.

>I don't believe in God because of all these plot holes
>No, you just don't understand God.
>But what about A, B, and C?
>YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HIM

Arguing with religious people is like trying to run in the swimming pool, frustrating, slow moving, and you look silly.
Much easier to get out and go on with your life.

I have OCD with intrusive thought regarding god etc. By giving up religion made my life so much better. I don't live in constant guilt anymore.

This is false. The gospels can be traced back to within the lifetimes of the people who were alive at the time Jesus lived. Reputable historians like Josephus and Tacitus refer to Jesus.

You can deny the deity of Jesus, but to say he didn't even exist is pure retardedness

This.

Man, how can someone so loving and caring wish my eternal damnation for having sex outside of marriage, and not stoning every gay person I've ever come across, or for working on Sunday.

"Maybe by allowing all the evil in the world to exist, he's also allowing more people to become saved and get to heaven." -DenseMotherFucker

I wonder what happens to all those Africans or children who do not know his name, our lord, God. Do they go to Heaven... or eternal damnation for never hearing the Word?

Man, people are sure getting saved alright.

Go study Nietzsche.

Pre-med counts as becoming. LOTS of people are still in pre-med at 24. Also you take something called an mcat, take an interview to get IN med then after the 4 years you do something called residency. My dad is a lawyer and has said the word nigger before, does that mean he's not a lawyer?

God is malevolent. The idea that He is all loving is just a way to sell it.

I believe in something because life and the universe is just too fucking absurd otherwise

Then why are we getting punished for his mistake?
It's like me saying to my kids "you can be anything you want son." Then watching him grow up to suck dicks and wear skirts and punishing him for all eternity for not behaving the way i want. It's redundant to give something free will and then punishing it for not behaving according to your own will.

The Burden of Proof is on you for trying to give me an answer with no proof. YOU are trying to convince ME.

Sauce: the Bible and the study of it.

If you constrain God by our perception of time, and restrict God to literally being a space wizard sitting around pulling strings to steer the universe, you have a faulty understanding of the Judeo-Christian concept of God.

>philosophy
>intelligent
Philosophy's a deader field than Liberal Arts or "Communications with an emphasis in NOTHING." Clearly someone saying studying Philosophy is intelligent is in denial of the grave mistake they've made.

Now if you had said Psychology, I could've at least understood you. Some psychologists believe that God is nothing more than a coping mechanism for those in turmoil or those uneducated in the higher processes of the brain (Though I'm fairly certain our Lord and Savior Descartes disagreed).

Right judgement. Wrong conclusion.

Well said.

I don't. What has a god ever done for me? There is no proof. and just god wouldn't allow the misery that goes on in our world, so even if a god or gods exist, they aren't worthy of worship anyway.

Ahh, of course! "The Bible says that the Bible is right, so it must be!" 0/10.

>The proof of God is this book
>The validity of the book comes from this book
>The validity of that comes from this book also
>All these miracles described in the books
>Suddenly miracles stop happening once video recording begins
>No experiments you can do
>Because "God" is beyond our understanding
It's basically "believe in this because it says so," and "He's testing your faith."
Bullshit that has no actual backing.

What plot hole?