"Rock is finally dead. The death of rock was not a natural death, it was murdered. But rock didn't die from old age...

"Rock is finally dead. The death of rock was not a natural death, it was murdered. But rock didn't die from old age, it died because people got to the point of not wanting to pay for it. No one appreciates the hard work that goes into making an album anymore, or the idea that artists deserve to be financially compensated for their efforts. File sharing and illegal downloading killed the industry. White, upper middle class suburban kids who grew up with this sense of entitlement, that they deserve to have access to something and not pay for it."

"It's very sad for new bands. My heart goes out to them. They just don't have the chance. If you play guitar, it's almost impossible. I believe the pinnacle of popular music was from 1958 until about 1983. Hundreds of amazing artists came along during that time. Since then, pretty much nothing. I believe Tame Impala, who my son turned me on to, are one of the only fresh, original bands to come along since 2000. The craft is gone. Where's the next 'Dark Side of the Moon'? The only artists who make it big today are Top 40 acts, and most of the touring bands are half old guys like me."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_XMU_3o5RRs
youtube.com/watch?v=IbiFkS4XwG8
youtube.com/watch?v=gw5-pGKpRHk
youtube.com/watch?v=2wAo-LAZlkc
youtube.com/watch?v=tjMYTRJxXOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-SAMaM4o9gs
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S69777351#p69779590
youtube.com/watch?v=u7isxoTIeYM
youtube.com/watch?v=d_RKO5ozLVo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i really hate his hair

youtube.com/watch?v=_XMU_3o5RRs
he a qt

It's one of the strangest hairstyles I've ever seen. He literally doesn't know what to do with it.

Why does he put 1983 as his arbitrary cutoff point? Exactly what happened that year?

>a jewish businessman who made a living from selling a gimmick carnival act thinks he knows what rock music is

they started to play black music on mtv

>1983=R.I.P. music goodbye...

Last time Kiss produced a hit single.

youtube.com/watch?v=IbiFkS4XwG8

youtube.com/watch?v=gw5-pGKpRHk

youtube.com/watch?v=2wAo-LAZlkc

youtube.com/watch?v=tjMYTRJxXOQ

Admittedly a pretty good carnival act in their day.

good

KISS is trash lmao

>cites Dressed to Kill as "good"

hi kissposter

youtube.com/watch?v=-SAMaM4o9gs

>Admittedly a pretty good carnival act in their day.
No different than billion other garage rock bands made by college buddies in the 70s.

delete your account.

1910 - music started
1920-50 - classical music
1960-70 - golden age of music for old singers
1980 - the age of rock rebels + goth/punk
1990 - height of hip hop, 2pac, need i say more?
2000 - music is still good
2001-06 - music is changing
2007 - phase of akon and some other **** that was forgetful
2008 - some crappy music is starting to appear
2009 - crappy music is spreading, fast
2010 - you gotta be kidding me, justin bieber? realllyyyyyyyyy?
2011 - R.I.P MUSIC

kiss is literally ass music

Room Service is one of the worst opening tracks to a classic rawk album I've ever heard. Paul Stanley's vocal performance in particular is fascinatingly bad.

Wait a bleeding second.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S69777351#p69779590

This is the samefag from the other day.

kiss is the kind of shit that senile old balding taxi drivers quickly losing their grip on reality think is great

This entire post gave me aids. The later section shits on the former.

>not recognizing 3 year old stale memes on sight

It's almost as if...the same posters always post in threads about a particular band/artist!

I guess the band didn't think Room Service was that good either because this says it was only ever played live 12 times.

Guess you just need to be in the right place at the right time. That and write catchy songs.

>I believe Tame Impala, who my son turned me on to, are one of the only fresh, original bands to come along since 2000.
Imagine being so pleb that you think LAME IMPALA is the only original contemporary band.

that's the only thing he was actually right about

Tame Impala are just pastiche dadrock though.

Gene Simmons is the guy who, once he's driving a Ferrari, forgets he used to ride a bicycle to work.

Nah, rock isn't dead, just his kind of rock.

>This entire post gave me aids. The later section shits on the former.
This entire post gave me aids. The later section shits on the former.

Well meme'd

Kiss are the ultimate apex and summit of dadrock since only fat 45 year old manbabbies like them.

>Tame Impala, who my son turned me on to, are one of the only fresh, original bands to come along since 2000
Coincidentally, his son's comics are also the last fresh, original comics Gene's read since 2000.

They had some good songs on the early albums, but they should have called it quits in 1980.

ITT: Guys with obvious daddy issues because their father used to play a Kiss Greatest Hits CD in the car while driving them to soccer practice

fuck you asshole

Rock died with the end of the protest movement in the early 70s senpai. The apex of rock was at Woodstock.

If rock being dead means that the Def Leppard/Bon Jovi/Poison brand of rock is dead (what Gene is really referring to), then I'll take it.

The Genie has it all wrong. Rock was never about the money. It wasn't even about the art. It's about having fun, street culture, and the youth movement. It isn't universal, it's dependent on the scene. Some bands (Nirvana, Minor Threat, Sublime, Oasis, etc) achieve a measure of universality, but the music is really about the time and place of which it is a product. Pretty much any artist that doesn't come out of a scene and tries to start at universal appeal is trash. Even the ones that get to the top (Nirvana, Oasis) usually become trash once they get there.

If illegal downloading killed music, why didn't it kill pop/rap/country? This is the dumbest logical fallacy I've ever heard.

>1910 - music started

Every time

Were you alive in 1909 to know that there was music then? Didn't think so.

>No one appreciates the hard work that goes into making an album anymore, or the idea that artists deserve to be financially compensated for their efforts.

This is just fucking baffling if you look at the level of quality of the KISS records and the lifestyle Simmons has enjoyed because of them.

If anything Simmons is a walking example of why you should pirate music and tank the industry,

>Pretty much any artist that doesn't come out of a scene and tries to start at universal appeal is trash

The record industry very early on figured out how to create faux, commercialized buttrock. In fact the Doobie Brothers were probably the first such band.

In The Heart of the Young [Atlantic, 1990]

The appalling pall that pop metal casts over 1990's abysmal Hot 100 is a triumph of mass narrowcasting. By carefully downplaying any accident of gender, socioeconomic standing, or subgeneration, it is in theory possible for any passive Caucasian under 25 to consume (in descending order of marginal differentiation) Heart or Jon Bon or Warrant or Cheap Trick or David fucking Cassidy. Winger are Whitesnake with the sexism muted and the facelifts down the road, their feigned vulnerability and youthcult rote masking their will to power. They may stay around a while, they may not. They're so bad they're not even completely terrible. C-

t. he's talking about how bands that try to start at universal appeal are trash

The point is, rock was never dependent on "making it"
As long as there are local scenes still thriving, rock is alive and well.

Kurt Cobain literally ended his own life when he realized that he was on the verge of turning into commercialized product.

Christgau makes me feel stupid.

yeah if you're playing stadiums, chances are you already sold out

REEEEEEE WHY ARE PEOPLE PLAYING DIFFERENT INSTRUMENTS OTHER THAN A DRUM SET AND A GUITAR.

I CAN'T INNOVATE, BUT IT'S NOT MY FAULT; THE POST.

IDK, but as you can see from that review, he was exposing the truth about buttrock well before any of Sup Forums was alive. The record industry was always trying to sell diluted, commercialized product made by watering down what the underground rock scene did. Dee Snider also had a lot to say about how the business works and their ability to hijack legitimate music movements for $$$.

I actually was.

Teenybopper pop is just...teenybopper pop. During the 70s-80s-90s-2000s, the record business decided arbitrarily on making pop centered around the guitar format, nowadays they're not. But the music hasn't changed. Def Leppard and Ratt had no more depth or substance than Taylor Swift.

I think Gene Simmons has forgotten how Kiss started in the underground 70s NYC rock scene which was focused a lot on that whole glam/androgynous look. That was so long ago he probably can't remember anymore about gigging in clubs and living on one sandwich a day. To hear him talk, you'd think he was riding around in a limousine and living in a solid gold mansion since 1973.

Yeah by the time you're riding around in a limousine, you're already a sellout.

That's funny and cute considering him and Paul Stanley have admitted they don't care about the music anymore and are only interested in peddling safe family entertainment/nostalgia at their concerts.

He's right though, Tame Impala are the most original and fresh guitar band since decades

Get off of Sup Forums, Kevin Parker.

Is this the same guy who said to leave politics out of entertainment or whatever?

yeah and then a record company came and turned them into rockstars which doesn't happen anymore, and that's what he's criticising. You are doomed to play in shitty little clubs in new york forever nowadays.

*a record company in combination with people who bought their albums

It doesn't exist.

But that's all rock was ever really about. He's confusing rock with rockstardom.

Simmons couldn't be more wrong, rock is more alive than ever thanks sites such as bandcamp. Old guy listens only shit that radio plays, and thinks that's all the "rock genre" has to offer.

That was explained in . Anyone can be a zillionaire music star nowadays, the problem is he can't figure out why the 1980s method of becoming a zillionaire music star doesn't work in almost 2017.

You can't deny it, name me another band then

Can you be any more jewish than that?

Christgau hits the nail on the head as often as he completely misses it imo. This is an example of him hitting it.

How dare you compare Def Leppard to Poison?

Kanye is the nearest thing I can think of to a modern day rock star and he's never touched a guitar. DESU, being a "rock star" is a concept rather than a particular format of music.

/thread

Did AC/DC ever have any songs like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=u7isxoTIeYM

Thank God they didn't. Paul Stanley is such a closet case it's not funny.

Aren't all cock rock singers metrosexual if not outright gay?

He's been married a few times and has kids.

I don't like Kiss and this rant does sound like a "back in my day" cliche but he isn't completely wrong. It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll and it's even longer now than it used to be.

There is no denying that mainstream music has become more formulaic than it used to be. Many bands that received mainstream success 20-50 years ago wouldn't do it today.

That being said, I think music is as creative as ever. It's just that creative music is less likely to become mainstream and lead to wealth and success like it used to do.

>There is no denying that mainstream music has become more formulaic than it used to be

>mainstream music is more formulaic than it used to be
>more formulaic
This is a troll, right?

"I Was Made For Loving You" is obnoxious as fuck, probably their worst hit.

Kurt Cobain was also on a fuck ton of heroin and was depressed out of his fucking mind

dont u mean MURDERED? ?? ? ? ? ?? ? ?

Mainstream rawk in 1985 was just as much generic commercialized bullshit as anything out today. The good stuff was always underground and you had to listen to college radio to get it, not MTV.

Let's imagine Sup Forums existed in 1985. Do you think we'd be talking about Def Leppard, Ratt, and Night Ranger? As if.

lmao
He killed himself because he was a mentally unstable junkie. I guarantee that he never complained about receiving fat paychecks.

Hey, just read some Christgau columns from 1985. He didn't exactly talk about Def Leppard, Ratt, and Night Ranger either. Nobody with any serious interest in music ever gave a shit about anything on an MTV countdown.

I suppose I won't like many more Kiss songs then.

They had some good songs but that's not one of them. Also I agree with that other user how Gene Simmons put 1983 as his "cutoff" based on the coincidence that their last hit single (Lick It Up) happened that year.

Yeh, as I said, when Kiss were in their prime, the music industry just happened to favor guitar music as their vehicle of choice for sugar coated 12 year old girl pop, today they're not.

>that their last hit single (Lick It Up) happened that year
nah, they still managed to successfully hop on the power ballad train in 1989
youtube.com/watch?v=d_RKO5ozLVo

Not really. Most of their later career singles didn't last long and were quickly forgotten. LIU is about the most recent song that stayed in the live setlist. If you listen to later Kiss albums, you can tell they were reaching hard for another big stadium shoutalong tune like Rock and Roll All Nite or Lick It Up, but were never able to pull it off again.

Strutter is p good t b h f a m

Read some interviews. Gene and Paul consistently have said over the years that their post-70s albums were shit except for Creatures of the Night and Lick It Up, both of which produced a hit single or two.

Lemme give you an example. Metallica were groundbreaking and innovative only in the early years when they were basically underground. By the time you got to TBA, they were already a sellout band for soccer moms and tween girls.

>Let's imagine Sup Forums existed in 1985. Do you think we'd be talking about Def Leppard, Ratt, and Night Ranger? As if.

No, we would not.

On that topic, how did they manage to fix a radio to a dirtbike without you being able to see it? And if the technology exists, why didn't they put it on the bicycle?

Err, doesn't Maroon 5 kind of disprove the notion that mainstream guitar bands are dead?

Maroon 5 _are_ the 2000s/2010s Poison sadly enough. The funny thing is they started out as an alternative band and then sold out in a horrible way.

Well, yeah. Kiss are the kind of band that always relied on a couple of big, dumb, simple arena rock tunes to fill out their setlists and the post-1983 albums just didn't have them.

"Animals" is the worst thing I've ever heard with the possible exception of Five For Fighting--1000 Years.

pop and pop rock music has always been mostly not good, the only difference is youve had 40 years to explore the 70s and 0 years to explore today's music. Obviously you can point out more good songs from many years ago since youve had time to find them

>I'm the dude who sells KISS pinball machines and KISS caskets and the problem with music today is that I'm being robbed of hypothetical money

kill the rich