Why do Americans pretend to understand football rivalries?

Why do Americans pretend to understand football rivalries?

I went to America for 6 weeks and met a few guys who swear they hate Manchester city with a passion because they're life long united fans. Yet when I ask their opinion on Liverpool, they told me the respect for the club is there, but there isn't a rivalry.

Americans, why?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2014/04/17/fashion/soccer-particularly-englands-premier-league-growing-in-popularity-in-new-york-creative-circles.html?_r=0
youtube.com/watch?v=k0_qJ6DkRo8
youtube.com/watch?v=GsTxbOQ6_X0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>ywn get a fire cape

why do Americans watch a sport played half way across the world?
They have no connection to the teams, to the sport, to the players or to the city. If you really, really want to watch wogball, follow an American team. There's no need to cuck yourself out to the EPL

Why do snaggletooths pretend to understand Americans?

Only Mexicans and hipster faggots like povertyball.

"Why do...."

"Hipsters."

There's your answer. They think involving themselves in "European Football" makes them cultured and refined.

And yes, you have our permission to shit on them at every opportunity.

>hey think involving themselves in "European Football" makes them cultured and refined
This is the funniest part of it to me. Soccer is LITERALLY povertyball. In the actually well of countries that play it it's still considered lower class by a lot of them, with cricket, tennis, hockey and rugby union being the actually cultured sports.
It's ducking hilarious.

It's strange, I know. The hipster, Europhile soccer fan is under the impression that soccer in Europe is followed by the "cultured," when it's primarily people like this guy.

Article: nytimes.com/2014/04/17/fashion/soccer-particularly-englands-premier-league-growing-in-popularity-in-new-york-creative-circles.html?_r=0

Everyone in that pic looks lower class.

>you not lucky

>
In germany football is both a middle and lower class sport.

>Ameridoops

>caring about the rivalries of inbred english scum

pic related

unfortunately, lower class people can't afford the tickets

its just the shirts they happen to all be wearing which makes it seem that way

>if I got ugly on

Visibly upsetting

Classic Premier League football coverage of the North-East teams
Cameras are all focused on a few fat embarrassments instead of the normal fans; never happens down south

Is PK'ing a sport?

It's great to be open minded about sports and such, but you can't "force" fandom of a team in any sport. You're usually born into it or it happens in some other organic way (I can accept the American English soccer fan who was perhaps the child of English immigrants or something).

This is what everyone hates about these hipster faggots. They try to manufacture something that just isn't there.

This reads like the guy is looking to join a cult. I guess it makes sense he'd go with Liverpool since they're also known to come together in a large group and kill themselves.

>imply that the beauty of soccer is that there are a trillion teams and divisions and everyone supports the local squad
>literally everyone just cheers for the best team even when there's 500 teams in their city

I understand it and it sucks and is retarded.

they give no dooping crud

that was actually pretty good banter
based

lads ive had 3 tries at firecape and I just can't beat jad, what should I do?

Take PEDs

>lower class
anyone not of royalty in the UK is lower class, m8. I mean, they literally have to bow to the queen when she walks by. shieet

better than ameridoops having to pray to the flag and clap to jesus every morning

>types this while the town center mosque yodels for prayer

>strength potions

jokes on you hillary, most belgians only go to the mosque on friday morning

This. I just randomly decided to follow Chelsea because that's the closest town with the name of a team in it (just beating out a Manchester, kek), but it feels so hollow.

mlg

Inshallah brother

underated post

I'll never understand Americans who come "eh I want to be a Manchester fan, I don't know anything about futbol but whatever"

You don't pick a team like you pick a shampoo, or a car. The team picks you. You follow your local team period. If your local team isn't on bigger stages, you root for the big team which is closest, etc

Up to the top level, you root for your national teams.

who fucking cares, we'll all be dead in 70 years

>rugby
>cultured
pick one

Because college rivalries are better

Hearing other Americans talk about European football is painful. I pretend to not like the sport so I don't have to talk to them about United and Rooney.

This. How can you go: I want to be x team fan? No, man. You watch the sport. You watch it live, so go to local team matches. You get an erection for something either team does. You fall in love.
This does not happen right away, it takes some time. I remember watching Peñarol since I was 6, but it really wasnt until I was 12 when I actually felt they were the fucking best. Both team and fans. We were down 3-1 at half time against bitter rival, "clásico". We needed to win in order to stay in challenge for the 5th League Title in a row. Ended up winning 4-3 with a last minute header. FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE. Rematch a week later. Losing 2-0 at HT. "Clásico". Same scenario. Ended up winning 3-2 with last minute goal. We ended up lifhting the 5th. It was incredible, man.
This was 1997's league.

youtube.com/watch?v=k0_qJ6DkRo8

youtube.com/watch?v=GsTxbOQ6_X0

City's biggest rivals are county, don't care what anyone says.

their approach to football is the same as them building a fake venice, or fake pyramids, or to how they are of whatever nationality because of their heritage
pretty dooping sad stuff

No shit you wanker, see this is why you'll never understand the rivalies. You'll never understand what it's like being a dumb lower-class loser that loves his club with all his heart. The person that looks forward to each match to add a little light in their lives, to make up for a shitty week at their boring 9-5 with a cunt manager. Football is a working class game, hence why there's so much passion, hence why poor countries can do so well at the sport and why it's the beautiful game. It doesn't take much at all to play football, just a vaguely round object and something to represent goal sticks so of course it's lower class.

My corny rant is over, fuck you Americunt.

i dont mind when foreigners love our teams. the more the merrier, why cant they get to enjoy the sport? what annoys me is when they act like they hate our teams. like an american man u fan can hate liverpool even though they know nothing about the places or the rivalries and have never been. makes them look plastic as fuck

kek this is why i love my team beating lower league sides in the cups. you know it means so much to bob in the stapler factory who has been waiting for the big game all month, its all he has to live for. then you just go and tonk them 5-0

Well I think an American fan can hate Tottenham and Chelsea, they're just totally unlike able in any way shape or form.

Honestly as an american I support the Tottenham spurs because they showed me that football was fun to watch.

I remember always thinking there were 0-0 1-0 matches and it was boring, and I watched the spurs take on chelshit a few years ago and the match ended 3-2 and I was genuinely excited for the sport after that

I just enjoy sports in general. If you want to castrate me for that go ahead.

cringed

>mfw I realized I had wasted 616 days of my life.

Won't lie, it's hilarious but that's beside the point.