How many of you guys even had the chance of seeing players like Zidane, Ronaldo, Gerrard, Shevchenko, Maldini etc...

How many of you guys even had the chance of seeing players like Zidane, Ronaldo, Gerrard, Shevchenko, Maldini etc. on TV?

Everyone here writes shit like "How old are you faggot - 11? Have you ever seen him play?" and I'm thinking to myself - I'm 25, been playing/watching football for 19 years but there was literally no chance of seeing these players on TV if your parents weren't rich / couldn't afford pay-TV.

Exceptions were of course champions league finals, world cups and euros but other than that kids were only TALKING about them, no one here saw them live on tv.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3gylDN7pWzU
youtube.com/watch?v=kHXfHFNlJ_w
m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ted_pvCDAo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Gerrard
M8 including slippy man with the other legends is just a bad joke

I'm 25 too. Watched them in CL. Watched Serie A with the pirated satellite my father had.

ok, then just forget him

I watched highlight shows and reruns on free tv as a kid

Im 30

Im 22 and i remember all those, ronaldo, zidane, batistuta, beckham, roberto carlos, barthez, etc.

The ones i dont remember are redondo, baggio, matthaus..those that were more from the early 90s.

worthy digits there

what do you mean though, in paprikaland we had pretty good coverage of all the big leagues since ~99-00, CL a lot sooner.
Actually, it was a lot better, because one channel had a contract for all the good leagues, nowadays they are split up between (((competitors))) and you have to pay extra to watch all the games. No wonder streaming is on the rise

well the question wasn't "do you remember these players?", just wanted to know if you had the chance of seeing them on TV

yo, bundesliga pur jeden sonntag um 9:30 morgens ging damals klar, aber war halt nur bundesliga

It's the same today, nobody watches Messi outside of the CL, WCs and EL Classico unless you're a spic.

That's because people have got better things to do than watch Barcelona vs Eibar

Ive seen it all at least In CL. I've seen a lot more of the ones that played in la liga obviously.

My father always had all the Madrid matches bought. The best series that I remember was the one vs United during the galacticos era,in which Ronaldo scored a hat tirck at old traford

Spotted the Walloon

Eurosport showed the highlights of the European leagues

i was 8 by that time and i saw them sometimes on eurosport if i remember right
i mean like every single champions league match was broadcasted there

This, based CL and international cups

But Mohammed, Barcelona vs Eibar has more to offer than any EPLeL match.

Spot-on. Broken english, pirated satellite or Serie A?

In bongland they used to show a Serie A game every sunday afternoon on channel 4, so got to grow up with all the greats.

Thank you for posting this.

I've seen a few live.

only time I've ever seen any of them is through Sup Forums webm/gif threads, except for Zidane. I was 14 when he headbutted that guy at the WC

I saw the whole 96/97 season of Ronaldo and I still remember how I felt watching that, then those who played in Spain obviously too. Watching Eplel games before ¿2002? was almost impossible and you could only watch what your satellite channel decided to offer that almost always was Serie A (thanks god).

I've been watching whatever international tournaments were on TV since 1998. Also my family had a subscription to RAI so I would watch Serie A/ whatever games were on when possible.

I'm 73 and have only seen that one guy, Donovan Mcnabb or something

I started watching international football around the 97/98 season. I used to only watch Serie A and Barcelona/Real Madrid games. Sometimes Ajax and Bayern too.

They all played in Italy and I'm 26 so yeah

> Zidane
> Ronaldo
> Shevchenko
> Maldini
> GERRARD

Is it something like "Can you find the mistake in less than 10 seconds?" or what?

Well, I'm old enough to remember Roger Milla in the 1990 World cup.

Gerrard doesn't deserve to be along Zidane, Maldini and Ronaldo but he's more deserving than Shevchenko.

If you think that you are also answering the question if you have ever seen this players on TV and the answer is no

You are probably thinking of Shevchenko while he was playing for Chelsea, when he was shit. But as a Inter fan I can assure you that every single time he gets the ball you where scared as hell (and sadly most of the time you were right to be scared)

>if your parents weren't rich / couldn't afford pay-TV.
they've been showing at least one cl match a week on german free tv for ages

I was luck because when i was a kid growing up in the 90's, the state channel would broadcast one gamer per week from the premier league. Sometimes it was an Arsenal - Man United, other times it was an Aston Villa - Crystal Palace.
Also, i live next to the spanish border so i could watch all spanish national channels perfectly, so i remember very well Barcelona with Figo, Ronaldo, managed by Van Gaal, the Super Depor, the first Galacticos, the Valencia managed by Benitez with the goat Aimar.
Only when i was in my early teens, did the fucking Sport Tv appeared and bought the broadcast rights from everything. Since i was the only in my household that enjoyed watching football, my parents did pay for the channel.

*didn't

>there are embryos here that have never seen prime Ronaldinho destroy all comers for 2 seasons
>there are embryos here that never watched Kaka tear up all of Europe's anus for 2-3 years
>there are embryos who forgot that the Barcelona of the early 00s was AC Milan

>tfw 32 yo old
>still wasting time on lebanese cartoon boards

time to off myself 2bh

I watched Roberto Baggio miss his penalty shot in '94

>not rooting for the Dynamo when they rode the Champions League back in '99

I've seen Ronaldo, Figo, probably Zidane (I don't entirely remember), Ronaldinho, Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo... all playing live, that means at the stadium, with my own eyes

and I'm only 19

>Gerrard

He retired in 2015, pretty much everyone here has seen him play on tv.

Gerrard was brilliant for 12 years, one fuckup at the end of his career doesn't change that.

DELETE THIS

Brilliant for english standard for sure but you can easily find at least 20 players that were better than him in the last 20 years

>that delicious Ponytail
>that meme Buddhism
>that USA WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SPORT atmosphere

>there are spermatozoa that don't remember mexican loli ehhhh puta song

youtube.com/watch?v=3gylDN7pWzU

watched some of them at the stadium too, but mostly I watched them like I do now, at a friend's bar cause I don't have money to pay for all the serie a matches

nice man

>This thread.

YOu have to be pretty damn young not to have seen any of them playing live, or on TV. I can safely assumed that a good number of us here were born between '87 and '93 and remember being soccer literate by the time these players were at their professional peaks

t. someone who got Ronaldo's meme haircut back in 2002 after huezil won the world cup

I mostly remember from the early 2000s, the likes of Fat Ronaldo, Zidane, van Nistelrooy, Maldini, good times

I'm 29 this year. In the early 90s, I remember that you could watch some games of the italian and spanish leagues in broadcast TV. My parents got cable in the mid 90s so I pretty much saw all of them on TV.

>tfw 31

>He doesn't remember Klinsmann being a diving cunt for Tottenham

I have seen playing live at the stadium those players
Baggio
Del Piero
Zidane
fat Ronaldo (saw him score)
Ketsbaia
Gullit
Pastore
Klose
Kakà
Ibrahimovic
and so on

iktfb

Well 25 years of going to SJP and I have players like Xavi, Zidane, Ronaldo, Shearer obviously and every premier league great and all the down to dave the plumber from harrogate town. From Xavi to Dave the plumber its never pretty bei g a newcastle fan.

Best players I've seen live at a match are Robben, Oliver Kahn and Henrik Larsson at Scotland matches and one Celtic game v Liverpool in the UEFA Cup(Emile Heskey scored in this game)

>one

your english is fine

oh and my dad also pirated DirecTV back in the day lol, we'd watch like random second division German soccer and shit

Okay then like 3? Not sure how you thought you had a point here

In the US they've been showing CL games for over ten years at least, and the World Cup was always a surprisingly big deal, I still remember when we hosted in 1994 and everyone watching the final.

There are some satellite and cable channels that I remember used to show the occasional Italian game on weekends, and then the EPL has been on different networks here going back about ten years, though they don't show many games and sometimes they air at weird times; like right now the EPL is on weekends on NBC's networks but the games are on in the morning.

The Spanish language networks always showed a lot of Liga MX games too. I remember knowing who Chivas and Leon were when I was a little gringo from up north.

ITT: 10 year olds

A lot of Serie A stuff nice
I wanna read more stories

They used to show the Champions League on TV in the early 00s over here

Was pretty nice watching the matches right after school

>I'm 25, been playing/watching football for 19 years but there was literally no chance of seeing these players on TV if your parents weren't rich / couldn't afford pay-TV.
we had seria a here since 98-99 I think, and it was free, what the fuck germoney. then around 2002 premier league started getting popular and everyone shifted there. primera was always there I think

I'm 30. I even got to watch Romario play. Let me tell you something, strikers and defenders used to be better from mid 90s till mid 2000s.

In my childhood we had Batistuta, Ronaldo, Shevschenko, Rivaldo, Del Piero, Vieri, Bierhoff, prime Bergkamp. Etc.

Then there were all the world class defenders such as Stam, Nesta, Cannavaro, Hierro, Tony Adams, Sol Campbell, Maldini, Desailly, Thuram etc.

On an individual basis football is not as entertaining as back then. There's too much focus on tactic to the detriment of individual skills. But then again, I may be getting old.

My grandpa had some italian channels on pay-per-view and we watched the Serie A when it was at its Golden Age. I lived with him btw.

I started watching football in 1996, but at the time we could only watch the NT and the local league because international football was expensive. In the early 00's it became more common.

>most of the posters here didn't even see players like sheva play

kek no wonder this board is so fucking shit

these posters have reasons for that

serie a was always on free to air here. until foxtel happened, then free to air football disappeared.

28 yo

saw all the 90s Serie A greats on free TV (channel 4)

then saw the 00s La Liga and Premier League greats on Sky

anything before the 94 World Cup I don't remember

not everyone lives in Australia, you know

Good 'ol days

Soccer fans here in US used to be almost a secret society back when the CL/EPL was only on digital cable/DirecTV. Quality of play was also unsurprisingly better back then too

Now it's infested with tryhard hipsters who care more about looking cool than being cool desu

I'm 27. Kids of my generation were able to see an awful lot of Italian football growing up in Britian watching Gazzetta Football Italia on Channel 4.

If you were a football mad kid like me, you'd be watching this faggot sipping coffee in some Italian Piazza every weekend, going through the headlines in the Italian papers before showing highlights from literally every Serie A game. They sometimes even showed games live.

Italian football and Italy itself was the pinnacle of greatness in my mind for many years as a consequence of that show.

I remember watching Serie A back in late 90s after WC98

I've watched them all, which is why I know Zidane is some other level of overrated, it's ridiculous
Funny thing I was a huge fanboy of his back then

Come back because I'm about to buy a ticket tot he usa

This third world country got UCL on basic cable for ages.

And until six years ago, La Liga was on local tv.

The local channel does extensive coverage of Euros/Copa America/WCs, so you would have to hate football altogether to not watch the likes of Del Piero, Raul, Ronaldo before fat set in, etc.

I will be honest with you, my first memories of football (that i can remember clearly) were Robinho doing step-overs to beat Corinthians in the 2002 league final and Ronaldinho scoring that goal over Seaman in the World Cup. I'm 23.
So no, i could not watch them in their prime, but i watched them all in their decline

We've had one free UCL game a week and all world cup and euro games for free for as long as I can remember so yes.

There used to be Serie A on as well but that's likely long before the time you're talking about
Some fox spic cable channel also broadcast the bundes and the argie league

youtube.com/watch?v=kHXfHFNlJ_w

>he didnt watch based football italia every week
>he didnt have a batigol fiorentina jersey

25 years old. watched serie a on a channel called canal+, through pirated satelite tv. you bought a card and entered codes in one of the menus, codes were avaible on an open site lmao.

ronaldo is what really got me into italian football. fucking magic. didn't, and still don't, have a team. it just had a ton of ridiculously stacked teams. top tier match every week.

I remember watching live:

George Weah's ridiculous solo goal v Verona

Buffon at 17yo making his debut subbing an injured keeper

Recoba stealing the show from Ronaldo on both their debuts for Inter

Baggio playing for Bologna/Brescia/other random small teams and winning games single handed

dude meme players lmao

32 here also.

Also City fan, so I remember Lee Peacock, Martin Phillips and Nigel Clough.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ted_pvCDAo

INTER #10 Ronaldo >>>

If you're 25 you've seen all of these guys playing in two or more international tournaments, which I doubt weren't on national tv in Germany. Also before pay tv took over mid 00s CL and Uefa cup matches often found their way on national tv too (and by then internet streaming was a thing anyway, also rich friends).
I don't remember watching much Gerrard, but the other four were a pretty common sight on tv for me, and I never had pay tv.

If I ignore Gerrerd I have seen them all.

Maldini clearly had to gain some Ballon d'or, while RONNIE was one of the top 5 ever.

Other european league (other than EPLEL) was only aired in Malaysia around 2010s, so no.

Not that I gave a fuck tho. Literally 2 guys knew Maldini and people only remembered Shev during his disastrous spell at chelsea

Maldini should have won '94 Ballon D'Or.

>Exceptions were of course champions league finals, world cups and euros

And I wouldn't say that "I saw Shev play in his prime" if I just saw/remember those 5 games at the 2006 world cup, you know.. I can't ignore the other 400 matches he played in

I'm 22 and I've seen Alessandro Del Piero play in person, all be it he was playing for Sydney FC but he scored a thunderbolt of a goal.

I'm 26 and remember all those, Football Italia on Channel 4 was class back in the day.

>he grew up poor

Fucking KEKERS

ignore him^

I want more stories guys

These guys were every hipsters favorite team in the 90s.

>there are people on this board that don't remember Zidane playing because they were too young

They were more football on regular tv back then than there is now actually (in France anyway).

Comrade.

>retired