What fantasy books are actually worth reading?

What fantasy books are actually worth reading?

Steve Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen

incredibly long but probably the only fantasy series i've read that approaches being actual high-quality literature

>reading

Gene Wolfe's Book Of The New Sun series.

i've heard this is good but still haven't gotten around to reading it because i started reading DFW

fuck me right

David Foster Wallace?

And don't worry man there's plenty of time. Finish whatever you got in two weeks or a month and then pick something else up.

yeah, David Foster Wallace. I read Infinite Jest and now i'm working on the Pale King.

LotR is worth reading for the prose and writing alone. You'll never see mastery of the English language like that again.

if you like the lotr movies you should start with harry potter or david eddings or cs lewis

/lit/>>>>

The first three A song of ice and fire books are actually extremely good. The next two, not so much.

It falls off in quality after the first couple of books though.

wtf? I suggest you look up one of millions of articles on why his prose is nothing special.

I concur user

what are you talking about? the first book is easily the worst.

This or his Latro in the Mist series, awesome books.

Hyperion and its sequel are pretty good, but I'd stop there unless you want a bad taste in your mouth.

I enjoyed The Feast of St. Dionysus

Does it get any better after the first book? The endless magic made it seem more suitable for 12-15 year olds.

More like the best

read the density of magic doesn't really stop but the story it tells is on a much larger scale than the first book would have you believe

if you're not hooked by the second book you probably just won't like the series though

overall 3 and 8 are the best

Gets better with the second as it helps you to understand the first, then things degenerate into a massive clusterfuck.

I disagree, Erikson's prose is developing over the course of the series to the better imo. So the tempo gets a bit slower around book 6-7 as a result. And it feels like he is on verge of to slow in book 9 but fixes that in book 10. But he is really unmatched in character building within the fantasy /SciFi genres.

>Latro in the Mist series

Goddamn this is so good. Recommending hard. The unreliable narration, the fantasy, everything about it is fantastic.

The Wizard of Earthsea series is pretty good, shame about the terrible movie adaptation.

First Law by Joe Abercrombie. Gory, fun, and I notice new details every time I reread them.

First book is weird because it originally was a movie script. And of course the fact that Erikson wanted to give the finger to other fantasy authors makes book 1 very different then the rest.

literally none. spending 20 hours of your life reading children's books is incredibly pathetic. at least watching a 2 hour movie is only being fucking pathetic for 1/10 the time

It's technically Young Adult but Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island is still great.

>wanted to give the finger to other fantasy authors makes book 1 very different then the rest.

What did he do that was that different?

But posting on telvision meme board on Sup Forums is 100x more pathetic then reading a book, even fucking Goosebumps books is more intellectually stimulating then this shithole is.

In Author's note section of the newer editions of GOTM he explains that during the time he was so feed up with that all fantasy series book 1-2 was always so dumbed down and only contained character description, magic system explanation and main antagonist setup. So he basically just throws you right in the middle of thing and doesn't explain anything. And now in hindsight he apologies a bit for this as it makes the first book kind of high threshold to get over for some people.

>ctrl+F
>discworld
>0 results

The lord of the Rings and the Bible

the lack of pointless exposition is one of my favorite things about Erikson's style

Mine too, but you have to admit that you were confused about a lot of things in GotM. Warrens took like several books before you start to understand.

I agree and I'm the guy who wrote it

yes, but i don't mind at all.