What's the best album you listened to for the first time this year, that wasn't released this year?

What's the best album you listened to for the first time this year, that wasn't released this year?
Pic related got into my top 5 of all time pretty quickly

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DIZ-HimfmXk
youtu.be/19rhIRDs7hw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

easily top 3 for me

alifib my larder

difficult question
a few jazz albums come to mind, mainly Mingus's work
Terry Riley's debut
Opus Avantra
I finally got around to listening to village green preservation society, bretty good
I really can't name just one

Twin Fantasy

Joanna Newsom - Ys

Listened almost exclusively to 2016 music this year, but Kate Bush's Hounds of Love is my answer. Hell of a pop album.

I've been getting into country a lot this year. This obscure old album got a reissue this year that i'm really digging.

youtube.com/watch?v=DIZ-HimfmXk

What the fuck, I've just shown my
friend this album for the first time and after we listened he went away for 10 minutes, I checked Sup Forums I was convinced this post was him. Came back and asked him and he said it wasn't him. I'm spooked

This album gets posted all the time here so not really that surprising. It's pretty much Sup Forumscore.

This dude was awesome
youtu.be/19rhIRDs7hw

Why does Scaruffi rate this so highly? It's just boring easy-listening soft-prog lounge muzak?

P L E B
L
E
B

Not really at all.

>Sun Kil Moon - Benji

Knew absolutely nothing about it beforehand, was completely and utterly blown away by it.

I've been "saving" the Beatles solo work. But this one is dope as fuck.

someone said it was a fantastic album, so I listened to the first track on spotify.
I was very impressed and then bought it at a local music shop and listened to the rest
absolute god tier

Listened to this to get up on this Frank Ocean hype.

This is now my favorite black person album.

A friend got me turned onto these guys earlier this year, and I like old rock.

>It's just boring easy-listening soft-prog lounge muzak?
Only in the first half. Shit goes next level in the second half. Fits the idea portrayed on the album cover (top half is banal beach scene, bottom half is beautiful underwater stuff) and his personal life at the time (pre-accident vs post-accident.) I do find it frustrating that the second half of the album's so much better than the first, but it does make for a unique listen that works on a thematic level.

this record has eluded my grasp until now, becoming holy grail tier in my mind. it didn't disappoint, surprisingly.

The number one would have to be Cold River Songs by Bodychoke, that and Lulu are the only two albums I first heard this year that I've rated 9+

The 8-8.5's of the year are Newfoundland, Satori, Cry, Mundus Subterraneus, Rollercoaster, The Raven, World of Echo and Beaster

There were a fuckload of 7.5's but this was probably one of the best
That said, I raise or lower ratings on subsequent listens if my opinion changes so plenty of albums I first heard in earlier years have risen in rating

Julia Holter - Loud City Song
one of my favorite albums now

This album does appear to feel like it's grating as fuck, and thus kind of a tough listen. But once you get past that, you truly do get what is imo one of the best post-punk records out there. Groovy, visceral, abrasive, and technical all at once.

I love the four albums from Sabbath after the first two. Those are the ones where they truly are a metal band, and I personally feel that they have aged far better than the rest of their discography because of what they offer as heavy, groovy riff centric masterpieces.

Sea Song is great though.

But user Little Red Riding Hood Hit the Road is the best song on the album.

I'M A THIEF OF FYEEEEEER

This guy, definitely.