Olympics - Anybody Watching?

I noticed there wasn’t an olympics thread on Sup Forums and was wondering if anybody is even watching?

I’m not, as the tv coverage (at least here in ‘Murrica) has gotten progressively worse since the 1976 Montreal games (the last good one) with the last couple of olympics barely showing any actual sporting events at all, just recaps of who won immediately followed by another irrelevant interview with who-the-fuck-cares or a pointless “local color” segment.

I actually forgot the olympics were running and when I checked NBC’s tv schedule today, I saw there was literally _nothing_ olympic related being broadcast all day long on their main channel…

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Władysław_Kozakiewicz
newsday.com/sports/olympics/nbc-to-air-rio-olympics-opening-ceremony-on-one-hour-delay-1.12118612
rio2016.com/en/football-schedule-and-results/day-3
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Probably because it starts friday

Doesn't start until tomorrow. And yes, I will be watching Alex Morgan kick balls in to a net. New Zealand is fucked.

what's going on in the pic

Yeah I agree with you, used to be into watching the Olympics too until the Australian coverage became "let's watch Australians be shit at sport" Rather than focussing on the world's best.

i dont even know when it starts
i will probably watch the 100m, maybe the big swim races
thats it

>what's going on in the pic

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Władysław_Kozakiewicz

In Poland, the Bras d'honneur became known as "Kozakiewicz's gesture" (gest Kozakiewicza).[2] Kozakiewicz made the gesture on 30 July 1980 to Russian spectators in the stadium during the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow.

The crowd supporting Soviet jumper Konstantin Volkov booed, hissed, jeered, and whistled during Kozakiewicz's performance. Having just secured his gold medal position, Kozakiewicz made the gesture in defiance to the Soviet crowd. He later confirmed his dominance over the competition by breaking the world record, clearing at 5.78 meters.

The photos of this incident circled the globe, with the exception of the Soviet Union and its satellites, although the event was broadcast live on TV in many countries of the Bloc. While international observers varied in their reaction[citation needed] to the incident, Kozakiewicz's act received much support in Polish society, which resented Soviet control over Eastern Europe (Poland was in the midst of labor strikes that led to the creation of the labor union Solidarity less than two months later). After the 1980 Olympics ended, the Soviet ambassador to Poland demanded that Kozakiewicz be stripped of his medal over his "insult to the Soviet people".[3]

The official response of the Polish government was that Kozakiewicz's arm gesture had been an involuntary muscle spasm caused by his exertion.

I will when it starts OP, sure. Like i do every Olympics.

>no watching womens volleyball with spee
London olympics were fucking great.

id rather watch the zika death march

>After the 1980 Olympics ended, the Soviet ambassador to Poland demanded that Kozakiewicz be stripped of his medal over his "insult to the Soviet people".[3]
>The official response of the Polish government was that Kozakiewicz's arm gesture had been an involuntary muscle spasm caused by his exertion.
BANTZ

My body is ready

nbc is the fucking worst. They are just in it for the money and doesnt give fuck about the other shit if they cant capitalize on it.

>advertising for the olympics for 18months
>televise the opening ceremonies on tape delay when the east coast is the same time zone as rio
>not showing most of the events on tv

what are you talking about the first events are tommorrow

NBC probably wont air them until after the opening ceremony tho. They have to delay until athletes place so they know which countries not to show.

>Thu, Aug 04
>6:30PM Olympic Zone
>7:00PM Rio Olympics Preview
>8:00PM American Ninja Warrior

>Fri, Aug 05
>6:30PM Olympics 2016 Primetime

USA NBC ladies and gents

yeah I want to see if phelps wins more golds. And maybe the USA basketball dominate everyone

newsday.com/sports/olympics/nbc-to-air-rio-olympics-opening-ceremony-on-one-hour-delay-1.12118612

its on one hour delay. also reading all this shit that nbc

>The idea, NBC Sports Group chairman Mark Lazarus said, is to “curate” the show to better inform viewers about all the goings-on, as well as to avoid having viewers miss anything during commercial breaks.

>Last week Bloomberg reported that NBC tried an even bolder Opening Ceremony maneuver, lobbying to push the United States toward the end of the “Parade of Nations” as a way to hold onto American viewers longer.

If you're insisting the first events start tomorrow, it's more like a 48 hour delay. ;^)

I hope you are discounting womens soccer.

>rio2016.com/en/football-schedule-and-results/day-3

because the events start at 1pm tommorrow

>nbc is the fucking worst.

I’ve always felt the best way to televise the Olympics is for the IOC to sell the tv rights by individual events, instead of winner-take-all.

This way all the major networks would be carrying various sporting events and each would be in competition with each other to get eyes on the screen, thus insuring that all events would actually be shown both live and during prime time when people are likely to watch, instead of having “lesser” events being pawned off to 3:00am on a Wednesday, while viewers are bombarded with gymnastics and swimming over and over again.

>lobbying to push the United States toward the end of the “Parade of Nations” as a way to hold onto American viewers

I thought it was alphabetical, with the U.S. coming in towards the end anyways?

no its by the countries language
>In Portuguese, “Estados Unidos” comes long before the English version, “United States.”

I hope you aren't discounting The Meredith Vieira Show and Steve Harvey, because it's what you will be watching a 1:00PM tomorrow on NBC.

Ahh, ok.

Either way, NBC isn't going to show jack shit when it comes to actual sporting events unless the U.S. is guaranteed to dominate the event, instead filling the time with interviews and "special segments" about everything other then sports.

This has been standard operating procedure with American tv networks for decades and while I used to watch CBC Windsor to avoid the bullshit, (Detroiter here) the Canucks have become infected with the same retarded mentality and are now just as shitty.

I can't fucking stand gymnastics either and it's all they show so they can tape cute crying girls

>implying this is the year 2016 where I can watch streams

but I have a job where I am working at the time.

well its just cable new stations are getting more biased and more biased

Does anyone know any good places to find vintage footage of the Olympics? I'm looking for footage of my dad who participated in the 1972 Münich games. Maybe some tips on countries that had good coverage of that year?