Why is Metal the most pretentious genre ever to exist...

Why is Metal the most pretentious genre ever to exist? Does it have to do with the technical skill of playing an instrument? Is it the lyrical techniques and storytelling?

I've never really looked at his chart but he has some good examples for each genre
>"? = Zappa, CAN, Capt. Beefheart"

Damn, I just realized he has The Residents and King Crimson in prog rock. gg jack black

It's not because of the technical skill of metal musicians, who on average are mediocre at best compared to classical and jazz virtuosos. It's more because of the autistic mindset and delusions of grandeur among its advocates.

Would you consider that mindset is encouraged by the artists themselves or the fans? I have a few friends and family members that ONLY listen to metal and classic rock, and they are pretty crass towards any genre I try to introduce them to. And what do you mean by delusions of grandeur?

Why is the current metal genereal thread a picture of a man shitting?
It's fucking annoying and I can't hide it in the catalogue.

Because apparently some artists in the genre just focus on being as disgusting as possible, which is probably why this thread exists.

4 u

Why does Country come before folk? Wasn't folk one of the first genres to popularize the use of the guitar?

Used to like metal a lot in highschool. Early 20s now and I barely listen to metal, lost interest I guess. Nowadays I'd rather youtube a random vaporwave mix. If I need a metal fix I'd just play some metalcore with clean vocals. Don't know but clean metalcore seems to be the only metal I can really get into these days in terms of metal.

I think pretentiousness is either from people that are in metal bands or continue to be "metalhead" into their adult years. Like anything else if you stick with one type of music too long you get pretentious. Metal is just most obvious imo.

I've seen vaporwave get really popular over this year with the average person, would you say you are interested in vaporwave getting popular enough to be in the top 40?

>folkrock----->new wave
?

Rock is a genre that was predominantly made by and for whites for a long time. America has a huge white population. You listen to the radio growing up, and rock, being apart of the culture becomes what you listen to, with MAYBE some pop here and there.

You take the supremacist attitude that one gets from rock, along with the close-mindedness after years of only listening to it, and combine that with the "rockist" attitude (only this genre is good, they actually play their instruments guiz!!! etc), and then you take everything about rock and make it harder, faster, maybe a little less accessible, have lyrics with "deeper, darker" topics, give off an image of evil, fantasy, etc and now you have the rockist attitude multiplied by ten.

Not only is it MUH ROCK IS BETTER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE, it's now MUH TECHNICALITY, MUH LYRICAL CONTENT, MUH SONGWRITING (overly long, bloated songs of course, but get praise because their length somehow makes them better), MUH INTELLIGENCE (metalheads were outcasted back in the day, and of course normies are just too stupid to get your deep, dark music.)

That's why you get this "pop music is crap!!! rap is dumb!!!! electronic requires no talent, you just push a button!!!!" when writing a good pop song, rapping well, and producing electronic music all require discernible talent. Metalheads are just elitists because it's the one thing they can claim to have superiority over Chad on, when their music isn't as impressive as they think it is.

t. stupid poptimist

rap and pop are shit tho.

t. marketing research guy

to continue on my point, I don't think I fleshed out the white thing enough. On the other side of radio was "black radio" RNB, soul, funk. Metalheads will probably give funk some credit, but I heard a rather intelligent metalhead say that Whitney Houston was "crap". I can understand not liking Whitney's songs, but she's an undeniable talent. It just goes to show metal fans tendency to be super exclusive, and totally rejecting any outside genres. Why do you think the genre is stagnating? They refuse to progress in any sense, take lessons from other genres (unless it's a "wacky" band like Mr. Bungle, who's fans aren't metalheads and moreso people who have came full circle and appreciate all types of musically in the a genuine sense, much like Patton himself, who has praised easy listening music)

>Dead Kennedys
>The Replacements
>Minutemen
>Sonic Youth
Some pretty good shit on that chart. Only thing missing is Minor Threat.

possibly because contemporary american folk (50s - 70s) is more similar to modern country music (00s-50s) than it is to classical english folk?

im not sure i dint make the chart

They can be. I won't deny it.

Far from it! I don't like a LOT of pop music, but a lot of pop music does it's just at being good to a wide audience.

>brit invasion ---> soul

what did he mean by this

folk rock + pop rock + hard rock = new wave

again, idk i didnt make it

early brit invasion revitalized the blues and small band music in america. rock and roll was kind of dying after the 50s in favor of pop and the brits kind of revived the interest.

>she's an undeniable talent
Not really, she makes average pop. This is satirizing the term 'talent'.

If you don't think Whitney Houston can sing you are basically a retard and all hope is lost for you

Haha, what a neofag.

She sings good so what. Her music is basic, isn't innovative or powerful.

nice argument dubs

>she sings good
>but she doesn't have talent

it's almost like you have trouble understanding what certain words mean.

Her singing is just an instrument in the music. The music overall is not impressive. Her singing alone is good, yes, but in the big history of music she's absolutely nothing special - you know this.

>She doesn't have talent
>but she sings good

So you're just going to avoid that I was "satirizing the term talent" while you simultaneously admitted she has talent orrrr?

>her voice is just an instrument
irrelevant
>music is overall not impressive
irrelevant
>her singing is good, yes
which is what I've been saying, she's a talented singer
>But in the big history of music she's absolutely nothing special
irrelevant

>Zappa
>Can
>Beefheart
>?

No it's because people who listen to metal are manchildren

I'm trying to say singing good is not real talent in music artistry. Or should not constitute real talent. The metalhead you first mentioned was likely talking about Whitney's general music, and he's right, it's crap.

>singing good is not real talent

lol

I actually do market reasearch, but the question still stands lmao

But the subject is the music made. I assumed you were trying to defend her musical worth on the basis of her singing alone.

She's what I would consider a Diva Vocalist, where she was surrounded by actual musicians to elevate her music to the level it is seen today. Sort of like how beyonce and rihanna are seen today, not actual musicians, but vocalists.

I think the pretentiousness in part comes with finding yourself appreciating and seeing artistry something someone else dismiss as trash or just noise. You feel like a special snowflake because you "get it"

This isn't something exclusive to metal as well, noise, avant-garde, most all genres that are part of a counter-culture, look at this board

I'd have included Op Ivy

It's funny because the doom metal and its variants are the most popular metal subgenre on Sup Forums and it's the least technical of them all

Checked