Please explain American tipping etiquette

Please explain American tipping etiquette.

I've just arrived in the US for a business trip and I'm quite confused about this. I went to a restaurant today and had a meal for about $14, so I paid $16. Is this appropriate?

Also, do you tip at cafes? Not like Starbucks but slightly fancier ones.

And can I get a receipt where the tip is included? I need to collect my receipts to get my expenses refunded, but it seems like whatever I spend on tipping will be lost because it's not on the receipt.

Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States#State_law
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>tipping etiquette

Just be a jew and don't give them squat, especially if you are not coming back. Stop propping a broken system.

Oh good, I was actually gonna make a thread about tipping

I just started working as a busboy (person who takes plates and cleans tables in a restaurant) in a pizza buffet in Texas.

Why the fuck are people tipping me? I got a whole $15 fucking dollars from a party Sunday. WHY THE FUCK ARE PEOPLE TIPPING A PERSON WHO LITERALLY PICKS UP PLATES OF PIZZA CRUSTS FUCK

out of pity

Same way you got those dubs too you damn leaf

Tipping is an acknowledgement of service provided. If you have a shitty waiter or waitress that doesn't pay attention to your table (never refills your drinks, etc.) then tipping low is the right move.

Waiting tables is payment, THEN *extra* payment based on merit.

I don't tip shithead faggots 30%, but servers that are attentive and polite get handsome tips.

Depends on state:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States#State_law
If minimum wage is the same as non-tipped job, then obviously you shouldn't have to. I have no idea if whiny California faggots expect more money on top of their $10/hr minimum though.

Usually 20% of bill total meal cost generally means you enjoyed the service. I tip 25% of the total bill honestly, just because I've been in their shoes. If someone is absolute shit to you then don't feel bad.

Sometimes tips are 'automatically included' in your bill. Look for a "Gratuity" or "Service Charge" on your receipt. If it's there, no need to tip.

uh you tip everyone who does anything for you anything.

I tried to use the bathroom in a club and there was a fucking attendant in there-- which means they were going to charge me to piss. god damn I hate tipping

And when you post on a board while in America its proper to send a PayPal tip to all your (You)'s

>14 on a 16 dollar tab
>Is this appropriate?
That's alright, it's about what I would've done. Usually it's 15% if service was ok, 20% if your waiter/waitress was good, and 30% if you're dropping your phone number on the receipt to try and smash your server later on.
>Also, do you tip at cafes?
I've never done it, but I also only ever get coffee at the gas station.
>And can I get a receipt where the tip is included?
If you're paying in card at a place that takes tips, you generally will.

Places that you'll tip otherwise:
>Cabs
>Barbershops
>Fancy as fuck bathrooms with attendants
>Pizza delivery drivers
>Bartenders
Listen to this guy. Don't treat the tip as something that you HAVE to give, but if the server does their job well, makes you feel welcome, is friendly, and doesn't fuck things up, then you should tip. I actually always tip, but if someone sucks then they get 10 cents or something like that just to say "hey, fuck you too, buddy" to them.

>i have no idea if whiny California faggots
Hehe, we do.
Honestly feel a little bad making the money I do sometimes.
People in california are generous too.

Lmao I will stiff / tip low if I go there. Sorry, but the servers here (I worked at a busy place) make sometimes 3x as much as anyone getting paid minimum wage. I'm in Georgia.

Genuinely amazing to me desu.

This is for you, oops:

>$2

No that's not sufficient at all, unless the server was really shitty. Decent-good services is a $10 minimum, excellent can be worth as much as $20. Don't go back to that restaurant for your own good.

Imagine how rich the Queen would be if America was still a part of the British Empire. 315 million Americans would tip her everytime she visited.

Tipping should be a a choice and a sign of appreciation. They only way people in the hospitality industry earn their wages is mostly through tips because the owner can underpay his staff.

Fun fact: tipping used to be considered un democratic bribery in the US (it was thought that rich people would be able to bribe businesses for better service that regular people couldn't afford). Then restaurant profits tanked because of prohibition, so waiters started asking for tips to make up for their now lower wages.

I never tip ever and anyone that does is a sucker.

Whenever I go to the US I just make sure to never go back to the same restaurant in case some plate slave chimps out and spits in my food or something.

Oops, I'm a retard and posted earlier it was the depression.
Great, thank you.

Not worried, you won't.
And if you do, enjoy looking like a cheapskate cunt in front of whomever you're with.
But we're getting hyper-hypothetical here.