Why does this album / midwest emo in general make me feel so nostalgic for walking home alone through the suburbs after...

why does this album / midwest emo in general make me feel so nostalgic for walking home alone through the suburbs after a day of hanging out with friends as the setting sun casts an orange glow across the sky, while you think wistfully about the fact that when the summer comes to a close you'll go your separate ways for college, and those days of chilling with friends, self discovery, and high school romance will be gone.

i'm not even american.

because thats the exact feel its meant to invoke, probably because those musicians experienced things like that and wanted to capture it in their music.

Honestly, the reason it's nostalgic to me is because it sounds like a more musically mature and refined Analphabetapolothology. Just my opinion.

Tbh you hit the nail on the head user.

>Senior year of high school just finished
>Sitting around a bonfire with all my friends in the warm summer nights
>We're all bullshitting and reveling in the memories we shared
>All the good times
>All the bad
>Where we're all gonna go for college or what we're gonna do with our lives
>Getting drunk on cheap beer
>Walk home alone, decline a ride
>It's slightly chilly but otherwise the temperature is just perfect as you trundle through the suburbs, past familiar monuments that have stood since before your older brother went to your high school
>Instead of going home you go to the local park where you used to play soccer and football with your friends
>You sit on the swings, awash in the pale light of the moon
>You kick a little bit but you don't really have any desire to go up
>You go and lay down in the dewey, cold grass, feeling the soft kiss of moisture against the back of your neck, smelling the earthy tones of a field freshly cut
>You stare up at the moon and think of all the friends you'll never see again
>All those nights spent playing vidya games and those quiet moments in your sleeping bags when you talked about the future, and slowly you come to the realization that you're living the moments you spoke so softly about
>This is it
>You're growing up
>And all you have to describe it in perfect pitch and tone, better than you could in words, is a 1990's emo album written by American Football
>And you start to cry about all of this, soft, dopey tears
>It's midnight now, and you're alone at the park you passed so much time in, crying your eyes out about how you grew up, and what seemed like reality then is just fading memory now

That's what that album feels like to me, OP.

Damn man

fuck dont do this to me

nigga it's almost midnight, don't do this to me.

write lyrics or something.

jesus

God fucking damn dude you nailed the experience. Right down to the conversations you have with your buds after videogames and pizza are all done

mono no aware

cos this was exactly my life when I started listening to it.

>Tfw never had friends in HS
>Missed out on the good times

hey bro. university is better.

oh how very interesting except no

it's ok, user

>Tfw didn't go to uni, just turned into a 22 year old bag boy living at home

My best days are behind me lads

no way man. they're evidently yet to come

Grew up in northern Illinois, god drunk and high with best of friends. It is now 6 years from my high school graduation, two are all but gone from our town. Our stomping grounds are now up for others, our roads and parks are alone and cold this winter. I too, walked through new subdivisions, through the sprawl, lay on the grass with only cars passing, the moon above, and one night I head a bird fly closeby, and wondered what birds normally did at night?....
A small town, Belvidere, but now were are all across the US.
Bless you all my mutant friends, we are all so distantly cold, but all the same in the end.
All is blessed, chill in it.

This thread makes me feel sad and nostalgic.

Holy fuck.

This all happened. And it will happen more than once in your life. I joined the Army for 4 years and made the best closest friends I'll ever have, and we talked about all of this. And then we got out and moved back to wherever we're from and that's it. And then I move home and see my best friend from high school, the only person I've kept in contact with over the years and we hang out and reminisce and get drunk together talking about all the good times, and then he moved away. Him and his wife went to go start a job in another state and I'm alone again.
The most alone I've ever been...

fuck the rockford emo revival

get out there and get some stuff done m8 your best years are yet to come

god damn, this record makes me reflective like no other. love it so much, and just saw them live, they were fantastic. did you guys like their second LP? it's not the same but i really loved it

Good read. I went to a college that was like an hour away so my first year of college was mainly just me not being in high school anymore since I didn't care about college or my grades at the time. It wasn't until about over halfway through my freshman year that I realized I was slowly falling apart from my close group of friends and by my junior year I had completely stopped talking to most of them. It wasn't my choice. I wanted to hang out, but they wanted to stay in my little town outside the city.

This album hits me harder when I think about my junior and senior year in high school since the idea of going off to college barely crossed my mind until I was accepted and even then I didn't care or think ahead. I was blissfully ignorant of what was coming next in life. Life without anxiety was grand. I'm 28 now. Maybe I'm too detached from those times.

Tfw I never had a friend,
I'm not even joking.

It's something apparently lots of people associate with this album (going off for college, leaving your hometown behind), but it always struck a different chord in me.

To me American Football is an album about growing apart emotionally rather than physically moving away. It's about reflecting on your relationships in college and being emotionally burdened by the mistakes of your naive younger self. Your clique still invites you to gatherings every once in a while but the atmosphere has changed entirely; it feels like you are at the wake of your childhood. The carelessness, lightheartedness and youthful drama of past gatherings has transformed into sorrow, regret. Your friends put on a facade of complacency but they look expressionless into their cups worrying about their day-to-day life. You'd rather not be there, since it makes you acutely aware of your own disatisfaction with work and failing relationship. You'd rather stay home.

>tfw projecting your feelings onto your favourite LP

You probably had strong connections now gone in your earlier youth. IMO, this album is kinda trash, the "Degrassi" of music. It's nothing but emotive lamentations about subjects that ultimately won't be relevant later in life and probably also is an early indicator as to why American millenials are such man-children.
>inb4 fuck off boomer
I'm from '97. Still, people like this album for sentimental reasons, but it's pretty much only a means to sulk as a teen, or a veneer to observe when you yearn for a smaller reality that was familiar to you.

Used to listen to this every single night driving my moped home from my friends in town since they lived in the suburbs and me in the woods a few miles away. Now when I hear it I tear up everytime because it has so much memories in my life connected to it.

Aw fuck, this man.

But Analphabetapolothology is perfect

for real, the only thing that will keep you in that place is that attitude.

it's really difficult to convince yourself that things can change and get better if you haven't experienced that before, but just know that the longer you leave it without trying to make a change the worse it will get.,

if I were you I would do my best to get an office job, doesn't matter doing what, and all offices differ from each other substantially, but maybe you'll get lucky like me.

I just left an office job after 3 years, I can't count on both hands the amount of genuine outside of work friends i've made from it, and the amount of experiences I've had because of that job have changed who I am for the better massively

just try to get yourself to new places user, people and experiences don't come to you, you need to find them yourself.

also i'm 21, so you're doing just fine bud, you're not on a timer

>mfw realized that I'm too old for emo

I already listened to this shit when I was 16. Now I'm almost 22 and I haven't made much progress in my musical tastes

fuck man

This kind of music makes me want to be a white boy in the mid 2000's, why did I have to be born a spic?

Because you're a living meme incapable of critical and independent thought.

Spics come from Europe and who gives a shit really, lots of people participated in American rock and roll

Im 26 and still listen to that shit

Someone screen cap this