Thoughts on Facebook's microphone permissions through the chat app? A thread on Reddit gathered 1...

Thoughts on Facebook's microphone permissions through the chat app? A thread on Reddit gathered 1,700+ comments with similar experiences of people who had conversations about specific subjects only to have relevant advertising appear in their news feeds the next day without having any connection to them via Facebook. (Which has since been deleted btw)

I brought up risperdal in a conversation and for the next month kept getting risperdal lawsuit settlement adds. Ive never taken the drug nor have any likes or interests in anything remotely close to it..

>inb4 tinfoil hat

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/C4oIe1K.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That's a good idea, thanks.

Have you had similar experiences?

Risperdal. That's pretty mental.
On a side note. Everything Facebook is Facebook. They spy you while using their free features ? Color me surprised.

Facebook and Google are the two major ad conglomerates, they'll try anything in order to put out ads that you're likely to be interested in. Yes, they do record audio and much more. I'd link an article i read once about how some apps also emit a sound from your phone (inaudible to people) so that devices can listen in to it and link up multiple devices to one person, creating a much deeper understanding of a single person, but i lost it. You could probably look that one up though.

>reasons not to use facebook. i havent had an account for 8 years now

I thought this was basic knowledge....most apps are always listening to your convo.

Paranoid faggot, it needs your mic permission for videochats/audio notes
And you belive in ppl of reddit? Kys

You think they have an office full of people listening carefully to your conversations figuring out what can they advertise to you? Omg, how can you be that stupid?

It requires mic permission to even install the app I think. You have to manually take it off later.

It's probably automated for keywords you dumb fuck.

Sounds interesting..

Just need 1siri

Voice recognition software is a thing, look at siri

Are you stupid? No wait, you're just bait.

> ofc they don't have people listening, it's all automated.

Just to clear things up for people who actually think there's a room full of people listening in on you.

You can't be this dumb

They require those permissions, so you can take a picture or record inside the app, so you don't have to use your camera app (or recorder) first, then pick them inside the Facebook app.

Obviously that shit requires permissions. They're not spying on you, retard.

>implying they wouldn't

When have you ever heard Facebook officially, clearly, without a doubt say that they are NOT spying on you? It would behoove any company that is receiving such controversies as such to deny the fact IF they weren't doing it. But they have not.

Thanks. Same for the apps that needs calls info permition.

Checkem

No, but spying is against the rules in basically every country, unless you give them permission (not application permissions). The only kind of spying Facebook does, is when you write a new status. Then they turn on your microphone and listen for keywords for their ads. ONLY when writing a status.

i.imgur.com/C4oIe1K.jpg

Itt: people who think they got edgy dark secrets that need protecting but really they just got cuck ads

Wow thanks for the info.
Even if they did use that, it works like shit, you have to speak loud and clear, clase to the mic to get the chance of a legit recognition.
Also, how many subjects do you go throught in a conversation? How many "keywords" do you say? Almost everything that comes out of your mouth could be related to something you could be advertised of. It wouldnt work for shit.
Did you ever tried speaking to that "ok Google" shit? It doesnt work fine, even if you have the mic in your mouth.
Talkin fast, using abreviations, slang, taking at the same time, backgroung noise, etc

No guys, nobody hears at you convos not even a software

Im pretty sure it must be illegal tho

You're not just using an app, you're signing up for a service. Have you gone through the whole end user agreement? Please tell me where it says they'll only listen in on you when you post a status update.
That to me seems completely stupid. There's nothing to gain from just listening in during a short, small segment of time, when the app is much more able to listen whenever to gain a better understanding of what to show you with ads.

That's what you stupid children get using a pure shit site to run your mouths about yourself and give yourself participation ribbons while endlessly obsessing over what other losers like you are splattering on shitbook, all the while being retarded enough to not know or not care that you're giving away every last bit of knowledge about yourself.

Dumbfuck millennials.

Install D-Vasive and let me know when the microphone turns on, when you're using Facebook. Mine doesn't enable (not even when typing a status), but it enables as soon as I start videoing, recording voice, etc. with any other application (or record a video directly on Facebook).

Let me know how D-Vasive notifies you about enabling your microphone, because it sure as hell doesn't for me (and I've used D-Vasive for a few months now).

It doesn't have to work 100% to be efficient. And there are so many ways to rank keywords that as long as it can catch a few of them it will prove useful to the ad market. For example, if a word is significant (like "risperdal" in the OP) then it will be ranked as more relevant to the person, thus increasing ads related to it. There could also be keywords that are trending that would bring up related ads to that word.

Just think of how Facebook can tailor your newsfeed based on what you click, write, search , and what your friends do. Why would it be so hard for a multi-billion dollar company to be developing ways to incorporate speech as an additional way to tailor more things to you?