I'm planning on getting a new computer. Very soon. Hopefully...

I'm planning on getting a new computer. Very soon. Hopefully. - I'm torn apart between ordering all the parts and putting it together myself or getting something else to do it - if they can do it at a price that is lower than ordering all the parts and assembling it myself.

I wouldn't mind ordering all the parts and putting it together myself. It's more so a money issue. However I can't help but feel like I'm cheated out of the experience a little bit. I mean saying "well I got it for a cheaper price but I could've done it myself" or even "I'll just disassemble it and then re-assemble it myself" seems different. That and basically my plan is to ask manufacturers if they can assemble it like $500 or at least $100 less than ordering the parts and doing it myself. It's almost like I'm worried I can actually get it for $500 less. So don't have a reason to spend more on parts and put it together. Also buying anonymously vs. being in a file. I may never get another opportunity to do this again. In the foreseeable future. Indefinitely.

However I am poorfag so saving money is also important. Even a little bit. I know that doesn't seem like a big deal. But. Keeps adding up. I am poor.

I had an old computer from like 2002 and didn't replace that with a little laptop thing until like 2012. I thought that technology had advanced enough that it really would be more than I need - like a lot were saying. But it really wasn't enough. I still think if I got a quad core - or more - if it existed - laptop that I'd probably be alright. But already thought I'd be alright when I got my laptop. I can't afford to experiment anymore. So I decided to go for the best real computer i could get. So.

I have decided to give up the laptop form factor in favor of getting a real computer for more power. I'm coming home.

I'm coming home.

tl;dr I'm planning on getting a new computer.

I'd like some advice and discussion.

A simple vote for making it myself or having something else do it is fine.
But I wanted the discussion to potentially be deeper than a poll. So I omitted it.

So yeah. Put it together for more? Have something else put it together for less? Go for a quad-core laptop or something? Something else?

Just asking.

I also hate cis guys, OP.

building your own is satisfying.
money is nice.

the real point here is why the fuck would someone be able to buy all the parts AND apply skilled labor (putting it together for you) for CHEAPER than you could do it without the labor? do you have any reason to believe you could find the same exact computer cheaper prebuilt? have you looked at prebuilt computers and compared the cost of their parts to what you could manage to do yourself?

honestly, in my experience, its ALWAYS cheaper to do labor yourself than let others do it for you, unless you happen to be a complete fucktard and break things in the process of trying to build them.

Wut

Why would you pay someone else to do it? It's like a 2h job at most, if you're a bit slow..

>Wut
>
>Why would you pay someone else to do it? It's like a 2h job at most, if you're a bit slow..

wut.

it's not paying someone else to do it. i would basically pay to have the parts cheaper.

>building your own is satisfying.
>money is nice.
>
>the real point here is why the fuck would someone be able to buy all the parts AND apply skilled labor (putting it together for you) for CHEAPER than you could do it without the labor? do you have any reason to believe you could find the same exact computer cheaper prebuilt? have you looked at prebuilt computers and compared the cost of their parts to what you could manage to do yourself?
>
>honestly, in my experience, its ALWAYS cheaper to do labor yourself than let others do it for you, unless you happen to be a complete fucktard and break things in the process of trying to build them.

yeah.
yeah.

well they said they can make it fit your budget and they probably get discounts on instead of paying the retail price to do it. well it's not prebuilt it's custom built but yeah. yeah. there isn't a need to do that because i already have the exact things i want in mind. some do custom parts with what you specify. it's the main thing they do.

not in this case since you can name your budget so i could probably get it for cheaper. the thing is - if i decide to make a computer either way - i don't want to bother asking and waste their time. so that's kind of what we're doing here now. also well most people are "a complete fucktard" because not everyone is an expert in computers...

i'm not concerned about that at all. i'm fairly confident i know how everything works enough to do it myself. i also have dealt with some small computer upgrades here in there. extremely minor things like upgrading the hard drive, upgrading the ram. so i know building is more difficult. of course i'm most concerned about putting in the cpu socket correctly and applying the thermal paste and heat sink properly etc.. in addition to wiring, everything else, etc.. but i think i've researched it enough to do it. so. again. it's mainly money.

again. i feel like after all this time. it's a little bit like a "right of passage", as it were".

this is random - but this is a random board so - you know it's like in star wars when darth vader was like "i see you've constructed a new lightsaber". like it's a "right of passage" or something. not like. "no i didn't construct it i had someone do it so i could get the parts for cheaper". "but i could if i wanted to". or something...

>I also hate cis guys, OP.

I don't hate cis guys, user. But as long as you're happy...

the end

i appreciate the response

thank you

im not an expert, but im somewhat knowledgable. i feel comfortable building a computer. i wouldnt try to restore a '57 chevy, because if i did, i'd be a complete fucktard because i know nothing about cars. the fact that i can replace a battery in a car doesnt mean i can put a car together. if you know how to build it, it will be cheaper to build it. especially if the people you're in touch with/considering having build your shit "specialize" in putting the parts you want together in the way you want them, you're paying for their labor. until you see a quote from them that proves it'd be cheaper for you, im gonna stick with this thought.

My name is Fauntleroy the faggot

Well you can choose to buy the part yourself, paying the quantity 1 price, or buy it put together by someone else, who gets the parts wholesale purchased in bulk, so their parts cost was a lot less, but you gotta pay their labor cost.

Wrong thread, SHIT!