This isn't prog-rock. Why do you call it as such?

This isn't prog-rock. Why do you call it as such?

for some reason prog fans like to label a lot of things as prog. I've even seen Zappa called prog rock from time to time

Actually I call it shit and every PF album released afterward.

true
for example james labrie's solo albums on rym, even though they're basically a cross of linkin park and in flames are somehow "prog" too

>not liking Animals

i dont call it prog

what is it then

Whats not prog about it?

Would somebody actually give me a good example of an album that is pure progrock

prog doesnt always mean widdly guitars

There are different types of prog, it's not all the exact same sound.

Genre classification is soundnormative and perpetuates musisicm thus inherently being prejudiced against non-tonically binary musical compositions.

I dont, its one of their least prog records
psychedelic rock

It's prog for people who don't like prog.

Close to the edge

What would you call it oh wise one?

Is 2112 prog

it is a progression from the usual rock music, therefore its prog rock. like it or not its a fact. all experimental music is prog.

why is it psychedelic? genuine question, i've never understood by people call it that

It's psychedelic prog

but its so normal and pop rock friendly

It has far more in common with the "art rock" movement of the 70s than it does with prog rock or psychedelic rock.

It was straight-up weird for a majorly popular record upon its release. Remember, this was only 3 years after the beatles broke up and this also is the biggest-selling rock album of all time

It's psychedelic rock / art rock / space rock

Progressive refers to the progression in the structure of the music, not that.

you're thinking of progressive house, not progressive rock

but dsotm isnt experimental

yeah, its progressive as pop music, and pretty progressive as pop rock, but its not progressive rock still

Coheed and Cambria is labelled as prog. I'm not surprised this is as well.

Prog means nothing to plebs until they listen to actual prog, in which they write it off as being garbage.

Basically anything not written as verse-chorus is prog

Back in Black sold way more

Prog for people who like prog is horrible. The only good prog is the stuff that experiments with other genres that defy traditional prog.

ITCOTCK

Close by the river

Fragile by Yes and 2112 by Rush

Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd

You're right, it's art rock. The only prog floyd albums are Animals, WYWH and maybe Meddle and Atom Heart Mother.

It's post-prog if anything. Maybe a little neo-gospel-jazz as well, considering the choirs and saxophones.

Also On the Run is pure proto-noise

I don't want to hear what kind of retarded terms you'd come up with if someone showed you Henry Cow.

That's just called musique concrete you fucking retard

how could you label it then? psychdelic rock seems a bit... weird, considering the difference between it and atom heart

>Also On the Run is pure proto-noise
lmao