Is it possible to just run an OS on a USB? Or do you have to install it to a computer?

Is it possible to just run an OS on a USB? Or do you have to install it to a computer?

Other urls found in this thread:

de.docs.kali.org/installation-de/kali-linux-live-usb-installation
docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-install
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

yes its possible

Yes you can do it. Just google "Booting from a USB drive". Since you're probably looking to run a linux distro, also google "How to make a linux boot flash drive"

That wasn't hard, was it?

I cant seem to prevent it from trying to install itself to my main partition when i select the bootable USB from my BIOS

My problem here

Change your boot configuration f

seriously dude there are so many doc's about how to do it for kali if you are not able to google that you dont need to install kali because you will not be able to do much with it

double dubz tell the truth

if you're trying to learn kali linux but can't understand how to use any of the myriad of tools available to install to a flash drive, don't bother learning kali linux

Every single one explains installing to a new partition, not running directly from usb

Already have it on flash drive

that is a lie

de.docs.kali.org/installation-de/kali-linux-live-usb-installation

docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-install

>ITT script kiddies front like they pro but can't read

I know you can do it using an external HD, so if you can make the computer think that the USB is a HD, it should work. But it will be slow as hell.

Isnt that just explaining how to put it on a bootable usb?

THIS this is what im trying to do im LITERALLY trying to make the computer run it DIRECTLY from the USB and leave zero foot prints on my actual hardrive

dude you install it on the usb then you put the usb stick in the computer and turn it on. when the kali start screen shows up you select kali live. if u are too stupid for that u are too stupid to use linux anyway

Pic related is my old laptop.
USB out the side is running a full install of Linux Mint 17.2 (is the exact version AFAIK)

Of course youll run into issues like storage bandwidth when opening even moderately resource intensive programs like Firefox or chrome.

Used a live CD (iso burnt to disc, spam f2/end for BIOS, boot override to disc) and installed to USB that way

It takes well over 1.5 hours for an 8gb install so be patient.

wow so dirty

Laptop is an Acer Aspire 5750g for anyone interested.

There is no HDD in it at all, everything that laptop is used for is on the USB.
Granted its not used much, I have my desktop PC for that.

You can just select live boot from the loading screen and run it like that. However it'll have storage limitations and performance won't be great.

I recommend running a virtual machine on your current machine if it's powerful. If you run dual monitors you can practically have a Windows machine on one and a Linux on the other seamlessly.

Pic related, my current setup

Was waiting for that.
I dont really have an excuse.
Just depressed as fuck and even getting out of bed for the picture makes me feel like crying

kali is shit tier anyway ^^

then grow some balls and get over it

You don't understand.
You're acting like I haven't already tried that
I'm depressed, not retarded.

Looks good; runs fast and has a lot of functionality if needed. I like it.

Thank you. Thats all i was looking for. Simple. Thanks very much user.
Also i don't trust VM, your windows is still running..

That really sucks user, why are you so sad?

then run it on linux

Are you fucking kidding me

user this is literally reading text from a screen, requiring no outside help at all and you still asked for it.
What the fuck.

If I had a real reason it wouldn't be depression and I'd just get over it.

Essentially, no reason. It just happens. I can't control it.

yea he wants to hack and cant even read

With the right parameters and sandboxing you can make it virtually non existent and have it there perfectly safe while running windows at the same time.

Kek, hey i was just nervous that if i clicked that shit I'd wipe

what do u want to hack?

Why are all computer experts this rude?

Again, not fucking reading.
Get a life faggot. Get some new eyes too

Because its obvious shit people ask help for.

im not rude if someone ask real questrons but if you are just too stupid to read something from a screen and cant even google the easiest things he deserves it

Seriously? You still remain anonymous? Im going to look into this because that would be more efficient. I didn't think that was a possibility with windows touching anything

Im not reading? You'ren't reading dumbass

take your VM sandbox that shit; run a VPN and a proxy and make sure sandbox is configured right and you're a ghost.

Because they have no other hobbies to their name so they have to be smug about it.
Tech has some of the worst people ever spawned, its slowly changing though since most of these fatties will be dead soon and normal people like us will be majority

by normal you mean stupid

Do i need to run the VPN and proxies on windows too or can i just run them on the linux window and be a ghost?
Im downloading VM right when i get home

No by normal i mean mannered. I don't get why manners is such a hard concept for nerds. Google that shit takes 2 seconds to get manners

why not both, double that shit.

you run it either with a virtual network card directly from the VM or you use proxychains

how about google how to run linux on a USB? Takes the same time

You're right. Im still happy with this thread so worth it

Really? Well shit wtf is the point of running it live. Literally thats the same masking process..

Using VM? Isn't that just as bad as running around doing shit as root user?

Do you know what google is? You fucking stupid prick.

you run it live so u leave no traces on a computer that you dont own (for example a company PC) and its easier to take a USB stick with you then your whole laptop

Wouldn't this method prevent you from saving anything?

since you got a USB device that can read and write no. you are just limited to the USB storage. but if u run a live CD yes you cant save then

dont get 18 it sucks you cant play steam games only like 4 games work stick with 17 and you can just use the install usb for such things why do you need kali on a usb drive? you dont need to install thats the thing you can run it as is off flash drive... derp

Oh thats cool! I didn't know that. A 32GB drive is like $20 so that doesn't seem like a bad idea

if your working with wine id install it to a drive other wise no reason for a install if your honestly hacking why leave a trail ? or even have a hard drive in the lap top at that one kind of Sup Forumstarted

Kek

but consider that a usb drive is very limited in terms of speed what do u want to do with it?

if your honestly hacking why use kali....? Tails is much better if u dont want to leave trails

i dont mind testing every new flavor of linux that pops up i got the free time

If he only runs it off the USB i don't think any data would go into the hard drive of his actual PC

so what are you useing it for everything it dose can be done off flash and saved to your hard drive you just open it and save yes unless your full retard you can save your data

no if u run kali from USB you just load everything you need into RAM

People still use tails?
Kali does all the work for you when it comes to anonyminity. All the apps are ready to go and very user friendly

And RAM dumps itself so i dont think he would be leaving a trail

thats not right m8

THANK YOU SIR
for a moment i thought i was the only one here understanding this ..

yes that was what i mean ^^

so why would he want to install this again i dont understand

that depends on what you want to do with kali
if u want to crack passwords you need much ressources from your computer a OS on a USB stick would slow you down too much.

Exactly, he doesnt have to put data in his hard drive so it's not unsafe for him to use a PC with a hard drive

ty but this 698672192
is a good point.. nice to see smart people on Sup Forums
oh god what did i just say

dont you put data ON a HD..?

It's not as if managing partitions is hard to do. I guess the only thing that takes a little getting used to is learning something other than that archaic letter drive method Microsoft can't move past.

All you have to know for this:
>how to identify drives
>how to define the file structure
>where your bootloader goes and how it works (learn the basics of GRUB)

If you get those down, every GUI partitioning tool is extremely simple to understand.

i bet you will faint when you see this post but guess what.... you can even boot off the CD and it will use your RAM as a temp HDD. amazing hey!

jesus OP, that has to be the dumbest question i mean what rock are you living on? certainly not Earth.

That's easy as fuck. You have no business with Kali if this baffles you.

Why would it slow you down? All the USB is just for memory. The RAM is all the power

it would boot in any pc it would be a flash drive of linux with your own install to run on any pc any where thats kind of cool but the install usb dose this with out your own personal files

its a cool idea but no real up side other then saveing your files to the flash drive and caring it with you thats the only up side and you can brake write protection on the flash drive your useing to install and just save it on the flsh drive simply remove it and plug it back in it now sees it as a drive it can write too

>BIOS
Are you stuck in the past?

cd not usb someones not reading and also this was stated

Nah i already was managing partitions and all that junk, but i figured it'd be better to not use my hard drive

We get tired of explaining shit that's been plastered all over the net. It's like asking what the recipe is for macaroni and cheese when there are literally thousands of them already up.

to get it to install on the usb flash drive alone you have to remove the hard drive so it only sees that space still can fail becuse grub wont see your flash drive as internal hard drive

first of all you dont crack passwords with RAM and since you must load all the programs from the USB into your RAM and you save it on the USB after that. cracking pw hashes is about 20x faster on a installed OS i tested it

its faster with my 2TB rainbowtable

Using the hard drive just sketches me out too much, id rather just use the USB and have shit speeds

if you have a hard drive to trash thats grate user i just dont do anything id have to worrier about

whatthefuck

its a fact fagot the usb install drive works becuse your grub you have installed is choosing it to boot you cant install on a flash and take it to a new pc and have it read that as a installed drive the only thing that works is the install usb drive it self that works fine as it and can install programs off the free ram

take a screen shot show me your home folder off your usb flash drive with your name on it and your files only takes a sec Sup Forumsro

Check out my dubs!

most BIOS systems will let you boot straight to the USB device. if it has the bootable config inside the USB that is... :P

Are you retarded?

you dont get what i mean eh? yes if u use a 2TB rainbowtable its fast but you have to load the 2TB into your RAM and that takes longer if it goes through a USB drive.

Why trash? cracking PW Hashes is not illegal

you can install kali on a USB drive and take it to any PC you want. You go into BIOS and select boot from USB. Then the GRUB loader loads and you select the Kali Live image without installing anything on that PC

yes but hes saying install kali ON the usb drive and have the install there fully and have this work on any other pc that boots off usb i dont think it works that way you cant install on a usb stick then just move from pc to pc freely its using the grub from your install hince if you install to a usb stick and remove it grub shouldent be there

>cracking PW Hashes is not illegal
Is it only illegal if you save it?