Hi, Sup Forums. I'm starting studying computer science in october at the university in my home city...

Hi, Sup Forums. I'm starting studying computer science in october at the university in my home city. I'm pretty excited and as I got a new laptop I wanted to install some software that would help me in the future. I already have codeblocks, notepad++, dreamweaver. Anyone can recomand something else that will come in usefull?

>recomand something else that will come in usefull?
>recomand
>usefull

Firefox.
It has a spell-checker built in.
Still won't help your grammar, though.

Packet tracer for the basic internet setup, and wireshark for stealing information

if you're a noob, i'd recommend dual booting linux just to learn the difference between application software and os software. you will have to learn that shit anyways, so why not be a level above everyone else when you finally get to your harder classes (comp arch, operating systems, etc). thats what i did

Download IDEs for all the languages you will be using

already have a dual boot with windows 8.1 and ubuntu

I study computer science at university here in the UK, I'd recommend staying away from dreamweaver, you're going to need to learn how to code properly, so use notepad++ or sublime text, I prefer sublime text, it's free, looks better imo and there's some nice features to it.

You'll probably be learning java so get Eclipse installed, use it, play with it so you know what you're doing.

You could always head over to processing org and download that, it's a program that you can use that strips java down, so you can learn the basics, learn the fuck out of that, there's some good content on their website to get you going.

For a web server we used Xampp, has sql, filezilla etc so that you can use your pc/laptop w.e as a local server, get that installed, get familiar with it, helpful tool.

Learn some sql and php for web, will prove helpful with Xampp and you'll no doubt be learning it anyhow.

Maybe jgrasp its simple and easy to use

depends on the language you are learning
for html, java script, and css i use sublime script

Dont get too excited

I'm writing my bachelor's thesis in computer scince at the moment.

Computer science is cancer. You have been warned. Also consider deleting system32

Personally I think IntelliJ is superior to Eclipse

Do you mind saying which uni?

I'll check IntelliJ out then.

Manchester Met

u think you can steal info with wireshark, u think all traffic is plain text ? it's all encrypted bro

Learn C so you have a decent background.
Then learn an OOP language.
Ignore web programming bullshit until you're got the former down.

A different career. If you're going into university and to are looking for generic programs you are fundamentally unfit for any job I've ever done and should give up now.

By the way, if you did actually plan to do tech, a degree is worthless. By the time you go through college your knowledge is outdated and you think you're with more than you are because "muh dugree!" Save your student loan debt payments. When I do interviews and I see any kind of degree listed on the resume I throw it in the trash.

Try getting yourself stacked with tech certs (CCNA, MCSE, etc.) and find a job related to the cert.

u might want Visual Studio for C, C++, C# (basically for C family), we learned in it in my college (console app, windows form apps)

What uni are you from

I'm hopefully going to UEA in September

>Dreamweaver

Tip #1: uninstall Dreamweaver.

Tip #2: you're wasting your time preparing for the classes. Once you're in the classes they will provide you with everything you need. They will literally hold your hand through every step besides the actual programming part.

Try and find out what you're actually going to learn instead of installing tools you might not use. You may find that they will ask you to use particular tools. In most cases I was able to copy any executables I needed from others in the class.

>Attends a uni class
>Uses windows files
stay pleb tier kek

My favs are Visual Studio, just because of my job, and for most of my personal work I use VSCode because it has fairly good coverage in terms of language extensions, meaning it's a good all-arounder. Also it's fast and very hackable.

Definitely download and get acquainted with Git.

What software you need would depend entirely on your syllabus, though.