/trek/ - Star Trek general thread

>Latest news
Axanar lawsuit is 'going away' thanks to Justin Lin and JJ Abrams
io9.gizmodo.com/paramounts-lawsuit-against-axanar-productions-star-trek-1777959978

>Star Trek 2017
First look teaser and logo reveal: youtube.com/watch?v=xXpPweAooeE

>Star Trek Beyond
Trailer 1: youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw
Trailer 2: youtube.com/watch?v=bzD8H6o1awQ

>Other Star Trek Media
Star Trek Horizon: youtube.com/watch?v=l94v4YOqxOc
Star Trek Renegades: youtube.com/watch?v=eE2Wgop9VLM
Star Trek Absolution: youtube.com/watch?v=x55RpPAc5RM
Star Trek Continues:
youtube.com/watch?v=3G-ziTBAkbQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4mOpmIFTxkE
youtube.com/watch?v=dJf2ovQtI6w
youtube.com/watch?v=6PvgJI6cvh8
youtube.com/watch?v=KChYhXhj7vY
Prelude to Axanar: youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA
Star Trek Of Gods and Men: youtube.com/watch?v=kFqAME7dx58

>Star Trek Life Lessons
space.com/32900-star-trek-life-lessons.html

Please refrain from mean-spirited, hateful, or angry posting ITT. That isn't the Star Trek Way.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l4TC5wl0IzE
youtube.com/watch?v=ksR1ZCfpg3A
youtube.com/watch?v=Tvq3y8BhZ2s
cinemablend.com/new/3-Extra-Star-Trek-Beyond-Scenes-Were-Just-Screened-Fans-132447.html
redlet[REMOVE]termedia.com/plinkett/star-trek/star-trek-nemesis/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Can't wait.

am I the only one who actually likes the two recent films?

I liked the first one. Second one was meh

was it the plot holes? I was still really entertained by it. I might just be a pleb, but it did its job in that regard.

Not even a major Trek fan, but why the fuck did they do an alternate universe of the 1960's series? Why not something new like a captain fighting the Romulans during their brief shadowy war? Or storylines in-between the Shatner era and the Stewart era?

I've only seen bits of the Shatner series, but I did see all the movies. I saw a good chunk of Next Gen (usually the ones mentioned on recommend lists) and its movies, all of DS9 which I thought was great, only select episodes of Voyager, and halfway through Season 3 of Enterprise.

>Please refrain from mean-spirited, hateful, or angry posting ITT. That isn't the Star Trek Way.

for money

Nu-Trek is fun

I hope they don't fuck this one up

i think its too similar to the first one.

Are people REALLY that hung-up about the Shatner era?

I personally think DS9 was a stellar series because it actually had humans and aliens be racist fucks, there was a ton of complex gray characters, the Dominion was a terrifying anti-thesis to the Feds, and a lot of the themes echo with a post-9/11 environment. Like that episode where Fleet officers were engineering a mock campaign of fear so that the military would circumvent the bureaucracy; that shit ties directly with the War on Terror despite pre-dating it by a couple years.

Is Q a reoccurring character in picard?

How many alien being conveniently look just like humans to save money?

Q appeared in DS9 and Voyager. Sisko punched Q; something Picard never did. Q totally wanted to bone Janeway.

>Q totally wanted to bone Janeway
why did you have to remind me that stupid episode exists

get ready for CG aliens

Because I saw it 2 months ago and cringed hard.

Voyager could've been a god-tier series about a ship being stranded in an uncharted region and frictions between crewmates. Instead we got a bipolar captain and her moronic shipmates.

If you're Q, why do you have to ask before boning a human? Wave your hand and they want you.

And isn't it a sad kind of fedora-Q that stoops to boning Janeway? That's like a bestialist who picks the ugliest dog at the pound to, uh, pound.

Because TOS is the only series worth stealing from.

There are, believe it a not, a lot of old creatures that became fans of Star Trek during it's extensive syndication in the mid to late 70s.
These people are ancient, some actually in their 60s and beyond, and they are the very soft and very white underbelly of America from that era (see: modern day basement dweller with attached psychosomatic illness).

These people would legitimately die over the series; argue for hours on end how some laughably child-like "god" from some insignificant stand-alone episode was emblematic of some cold war entity.

But more importantly is Shatner and Nimoy's 6 movie series that all of the original fans from that era adored. Those movies made a lot of money and are still in the conscious minds of people in their mid-30s and older.

So they'd naturally reboot that old series because of the amount of people from that era who will hand over fist spend money for and to hopefully grab Millenials who never saw the series' from the 90's.

As a trek fan i'm somewhat meh on them, but purely as their own thing, they are fine, big action-y sci-fi summer movies and thats fine.

TV ought to be where trek should shine, and maybe they'll get a movie to flesh out a few things with a bigger budget, but not until it's established. Hopefully executives can understand the core audience arnt retarded and are perfectly capable of having simultaneous separate properties.

I tried watching TOS but the acting and plot is nauseating.

I grew up on Shatner with TJ Hooker, Rescue 911, and Boston Legal. I was unfamiliar with his Trek role until HS when I saw the movies. I really enjoyed Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock.

I even think Spock should've played the lead in the 60's series. Spock being the half-human half-alien captain of a ship largely crewed by humans is more interesting than cowboy Kirk. He'd have to learn how to embrace both sides of his heritage while his officers like McCoy and Scotty would rein in his logical approach with human sympathies.

hi Sup Forums. how's summer so far?

>I grew up on Shatner with TJ Hooker, Rescue 911, and Boston Legal.
>I grew up with Boston Legal (2004)

What about the generation of fans who grew up on Next Gen, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise? Those came out between 1987 to 2005. That's 2 generations of viewers and more recent in memory than the 60's show. These demographics are between their 20's and 40's so they have far more disposable income and vested interest in Trek than the old-timers.

TOS commands the biggest nostalgia boner, and it's the easiest to reinvent

Born in 1990. I saw TJ Hooker reruns on Universal HD back in 2010 and Rescue 911 on The Hallmark Channel in the 2000's. I was 14 when Boston Legal came.

Those are some very nice uniforms

>summer
Not that guy, but you realize the term "summer" no longer has any context here given the 18+ / influx of people over the past 5 years (see Sup Forums).
He is right, the acting from Shatner is pretty bad at times. Only Bones and Spock are generally good throughout.
My father wasn't even born until a year after the original series aired. I wasn't even born until the 6th TOS Movie. All I remember from my childhood are TNG reruns and Voyager.
Nostalgia boner maybe for people in their late 30s and beyond.

And you haven't watched Star Trek (TOS) before the age of 14? Well whatever, I remember asking my nanny to check the TV-program for TNG i.e. I was watching the shit before I went to school and learned how to read.

Personally I agree with . First one was significantly better than I'd hoped for and imo is in the top third of Trek films generally. Second wasn't terrible, but fell into the trap of multiple villains and yet more Earth-peril. Honestly, a direct threat to the safety of Earth just doesn't have any spice or kick anymore. It's like fully half the movies. It looks like they're steering clear of that for the next one, which is a relief.

>He is right, the acting from Shatner is pretty bad at times
The show still have like 20 strong episodes.

You see, I really liked Bones and Spock's adversarial debates in the movies and parts of the show I watched. It makes more sense to omit Kirk and have Spock interact with his doctor whose also his chief confidant. Scotty also acts as the unofficial 3rd member of their trio because he's a mix between scientific rationale as an engineer and an enthusiastic dude.

No comfiest Star Trek: New Voyages?
youtube.com/watch?v=l4TC5wl0IzE

Even when I was 5 watching early seasons of DS9 I hated the Bajorans for their sanctimonious hokey spirituality and thought the Cardassians were cool. Sisko was like the first black person I had ever seen too.

I never got around to it until I was in high school because a buddy suggested it. I was more interested in pro-wrestling and monster trucks back then.

My 1st Trek series was DS9 which I watched alongside Babylon 5. Then I saw Next Gen, TOS, Voyager, and finally Enterprise.

I saw reruns of Spenser: For Hire on TNT so I was already familiar with Avery Brooks. I was pissed they made him shave his beard in Season 1 of DS9.

And yeah, the Bajorans were kinda cunty and I liked the fact that the series addressed religion and cultural sensitivities because the earlier Treks sorta glossed over that stuff. Realistically, you're gonna have aliens who are as fanatical as evangelicals in the Bible Belt.

As far as action blockbusters go, those movies were very well done.

By the end of Voyager, Starfleet vessels were more advanced and powerful than everyone elses in the quadrant.

Yeah they have the quantum slipstream drive and other shit that Voyager acquired.

How the fuck can the Romulans even compare to the Feds after that?

You are 100% right. And that's why, as a Trek fan, I never discount it as nothing more than important for the franchise but at times generally entertaining, if not having a hand full of some of the best Trek episodes.
Yeah, Scotty was very solid and consistent in the original series and I often forget this when arguing with someone who claims TOS is the pinnacle of Trek.
Unlike Chekhov's ridiculously campy Russian or Sulu, he had his moments and he kept to the idea of Scotty as a legitimate man of science with a penchant for the thing a (True) Scotsman would appreciate.

I don't know but they had an alliance with them. So they sort of have to share their technology. This stuff could lead to some interesting plots.

>I was more interested in pro-wrestling and monster trucks back then.

>tfw no McFadden nudes

Thin, tall, pale, flat assed red heads are my thing.

Star Trek 09 was exactly what it needed to be, but most people were hoping that it would be a launching point into something a bit different and interesting to really set Star Trek back on a good path. Into Darkness kind of showed that Abrams didn't really have any plan and that they kind of just got lucky with that first movie which makes a lot of people worried about new trek

>halfway through Season 3 of Enterprise

Oh what I'd give to experience that for the first time again, fun

The Naked Now
Dr. Beverly Crusher needs a man and is testing the limits of Picard's cold abstinence.
youtube.com/watch?v=ksR1ZCfpg3A

Why does Abrams have anything to do with Star Trek? He directed the two worst movies now he is doing other stuff. Why the fuck does he have a say?

The Alliance dissolved after the Dominion War was over. Nemesis confirms that the Feds and Romulans resumed their chilly relations in the beginning of the film.

And the Feds would NEVER willingly share vital tech like quantum slipstream because it would make the Romulans even more dangerous.

Scotty was my personal favorite because Doohan's parents were from County Down like my grandpappy. Scotty kept it real and wasn't as hokey as Kirk was in being a badass.

How is it that First Contact's mix of CG + Model work retains a greater looking battle sequence than anything 20 fucking years later.

The part where she enters the battle is especially magnificent with the lighting, beautifully done.

First was OK but gets worse every time you watch it. Or think about it.

Second was complete garbage.

I'm enjoying Shran and Archer. Those 2 are bro as fuck despite butting heads.

Holly wood is run by nepotism. His competence doesn't have anything to do with it.

ie. blame the jews

"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."

Why is she so casual about being pounded by the Chairdonian Ambassador right in front of the Captain?

>Captain’s Log

>Of all the footage that was shown to us, it was a clip from what I can only presume is the opening of the film that truly has me optimistic about Star Trek Beyond. Unlike the first two movies, it harkens back to the classic opening of the television series: Kirk recording his captain’s log.

>The clip began with the Enterprise softly gliding through space, with the voice of Chris Pine’s Captain James T. Kirk opening his log entry revealing that it is Star Date 2263.45, and that the crew is celebrating the third year of their five year mission. Unfortunately, this time floating through space is taking its toll on everyone, as it’s particularly hard to figure out "where one day ends and another begins" – illustrated with Kirk going into his closet and seeing nothing but a row of yellow uniforms.

>After watching Kirk go through his morning routine, he and a mug of coffee make their way out to the deck of the Enterprise, where everyone is already hard at work in their various positions. Kirk’s voice-over notes the importance of making the ship feel like home as the camera pans over Sulu (John Cho), who has a photo of his young daughter taped to the control panel in front of him.

Being high on all of the new CG tricks that the industry over uses.
See lighting tricks, unnecessary dithering, blurring when fore- or background elements are in perfect clarity.. basically trying too hard to mesmerize without keeping to the logic of physics and viewer's vantage point.

>As the voice-over speaks to the stress that the mission has put on the ship, we get a glimpse into the engineering department, where we see Scotty (Simon Pegg) and Keenser (Deep Roy) futzing around. The footage then follows through the halls of the Enterprise, watching young uniformed male and female crewmates catching eyes. As the scene spills into montage, Kirk notes that this is a pretty natural thing, but it has its up-sides - cut to two young crewmembers kissing in a room - and down-sides - cut to an alien crewmember kicking out a half dressed Chekov (Anton Yelchin).

>Cutting back to the deck, we see Kirk getting comfortable in his captain’s chair, but the voice-over admits that the day-to-day has become episodic, and that repetition and boredom has led to questioning exactly what it is that they’re doing on the mission. The clip ends as the Enterprise sails towards what’s been reported to be the Starbase Yorktown.

>This Star Trek Beyond clip did a fantastic job setting a tone for the movie it’s in front of, and it’s exactly the tone that you want from Star Trek. While Captain Kirk may be getting a bit restless, it still featured a sense of needed optimism that will hopefully be featured throughout the rest of the film.

Context?

She is the most classy hoe on trek ever phams and you all know it. She is the kinda hard to get chick but Picard never even tried to get the only the tip of his dick wet. it's a fucking shame. she really needed a proper dicking. That one highland episode where her grandma or similar died just shows all her lust she has deep within her all the time.

>Kirk And Bones Have A Moment

>Kirk and Leonard ‘Bones’ McCoy (Karl Urban) were among the first two future crew members of the Enterprise to meet each other in the J.J. Abrams Star Trek universe, and the second clip shown from Star Trek Beyond capitalized on that bond. We learned from the Fan Event that Bones will actually be paired with Zachary Quinto’s Spock for a large portion of the film, while Kirk will be with Chekov, but the movie still found a moment for the old friends.

>The scene started with Kirk looking glum at the bar and drinking alone, an odd shaped bottle of dark liquid next to his arm. Bones comes in apologizing for being late, providing an excuse about Keenser being sick and leaking corrosive liquids. Making his way to the opposite side of the bar, the doctor questions the captain about what he’s drinking – which Kirk reveals is leftover Saurian Brandy (a callback to many episodes of the various television shows). Bones objects to this, warning that his friend is going to go blind, and instead whips out a bottle of 30 year scotch. McCoy admits that he stole it out of Chekov’s locker, and the friends muse about the surprise that it wasn’t vodka.

New Star Trek: Beyond trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=Tvq3y8BhZ2s

This isn't too bad for a fanmade thing.

>The Alliance dissolved after the Dominion War was over. Nemesis confirms that the Feds and Romulans resumed their chilly relations in the beginning of the film.
>And the Feds would NEVER willingly share vital tech like quantum slipstream because it would make the Romulans even more dangerous.

Yeah, okay. Right, I guess I erased Nemesis from my memory. Still the asymmetry of the situation is interesting and the Romulans are good at spying.

>It turns out that the third year of the five year mission isn’t the only big anniversary happening on the ship, as Bones recalls that Kirk’s birthday is coming up. This is kind of a sore subject for the captain; however, as fans will remember that in this universe he was born on the same day that his father was killed in a battle with Nero. In conversation, Bones approaches this subject rather bluntly, which gives Kirk opportunity to retort, "Did they teach you about bedside manner?" The clink glasses and drink – both simultaneously wincing and commenting on how good it is.

>Refusing to let the subject go, Bones inquires if his friend his going to call his mom on the day – which gives Kirk pause, given that he is now one year older than his father ever was. As heard in the trailer, he then muses on his dad’s legacy in Star Fleet, noting that he had noble intentions within the organization while Kirk had just joined on a dare. Bones responds that the captain has just spent his entire life looking up to George Kirk, and that now he needs to be his own man. He then raises a glass, saying, "To perfect eyesight and a full head of hair." As they once again drink, the captain asks the doctor to keep his birthday under wraps – to which Bones responds, "You know me, Mr. Sensitive."

>Knowing that Star Trek Beyond will separate these two characters for a considerable amount of screentime, it’s nice to see them have this moment here, and it’s an entertaining scene. Chris Pine and Karl Urban have always had good chemistry together, and Simon Pegg’s script has the right amount of humor to keep some lightness in a serious conversation.

>The Destruction Of The Enterprise

>After two dialogue-heavy scenes, the Star Trek Beyond footage wasn’t ready to let fans go without a bigger taste of what the film has in store action-wise. It’s previewed in the trailer, but we got to watch an extended version of the sequence where the Enterprise is destroyed in a destructive hail of ships attacking as an unstoppable swarm.

>The footage began with no real context for exactly what’s going on in the scene – but that really just succeeds in making it all the freakier. The crew on the Enterprise is completely baffled by what is attacking them or how to defend themselves, so Kirk calls for Sulu to warp them out of the situation – but this proves to be a failed maneuver, as the drive can’t be engaged. Outside the ships continue to absolutely pummel the famous star vessel, and everyone from the front deck to engineering is in full-blown panic.

>""
You are doing it wrong.

>As the footage cut more into montage mode (likely because the sequence hasn’t been entirely completed just yet), we got to watch sequences of Krall (Idris Elba) boarding the Enterprise, Kirk calling for everyone to abandon ship, the engines being completely blown off, and Scotty narrowly escaping a face-to-face meet with Star Trek Beyond’s central villain. The crashing Enterprise winds up finding itself caught in the gravity of a nearby planet, and Chekov assists others getting to their pods before launching himself. We see Sulu get away in a pod by himself, but midflight we see him get slammed by part of the swarm.

>Because we hadn’t seen them spend any time together in the clips to that point, the footage concluded with a scene of Kirk and Spock coming together, with Kirk saying, "We make a good team," and his friend retorting, "I believe we do."

>After the controversial first trailer for Star Trek Beyond that was released all the way back in December, I have to admit to being a bit wary about the blockbuster. This footage helped push me in the complete opposite direction. It was fun, thrilling, and managed to squeeze in some good character work in a short amount of time. Of course, it should be recognized that this footage was obviously put together to make the movie look as good as possible and build buzz, but I also can’t say that it didn’t do just that.

cinemablend.com/new/3-Extra-Star-Trek-Beyond-Scenes-Were-Just-Screened-Fans-132447.html

Why does Nemesis get so much flak? It wasn't perfect but I thought Tom Hardy as Shinzon was interesting.

When does Enterprise get good?

Season 3

>teleports two lifesigns just because they're touching eachother
i don't remember it working like that in the series

It's literally a prequel in quality for all JJ films afterwards. I wouldn't wonder when he just looked the last movie to pick up the feel of how trek works.

It sort of changed the cannon of the Romulans too drastically and the finale was the same as in IX.
All memeing aside I think the RLM review is spot-on
redlet[REMOVE]termedia.com/plinkett/star-trek/star-trek-nemesis/

But I agree, Hardy is great as always. Even while being under-weight and abusing drugs.

First day on tv, sugartits?

>TV is showing star trek series at night, give it a shot
>they aged quite badly and boring
Is there a good point to start tv series? the borgs look interesting, which TV shows/season is it?

Hmm, I can sorta see what you mean.

The premise was interesting. A clone of Picard being used by the Romulans and the whole Voice vs Echo debate was cool.

However, I hated how the Remans looked because they were uninspired vampire knockoffs, the Scimitar was an uber-wank, and the B4 deus ex machina was lame. If Data had actually died, they would've gotten my respect.

Besides Shinzon, I think the Reman coup was interesting. An oppressed race of slave labor and cannon fodder assassinating the entire Romulan Senate is DS9-level intrigue. I'm surprised they didn't explore more about the Remans. I personally thought they were collaborating with the Dominion to undermine the Romulan Star Empire in another attempt to fuck over the Alpha Quadrant powers.

You know, after Nemesis and the supernova that annihilated Romulus, I wonder what the political fallout was like? A major galactic power lost billions of its people and the capital. Not to mention a good amount of its officers, bureaucrats, scientists, etc. Wouldn't other powers want to take advantage of this and the Feds are in the middle to ensure there isn't anarchy?

So basically the New Trek

>Makes an obvious jab at the canonical series with "I can't be like my dad, I need to be my own thing lmao please like me"
>Makes an even more obvious jab by complaining about the episodic nature of the various tv series.

True kino, bravo.

>Is there a good point to start tv series? the borgs look interesting, which TV shows/season is it?
Don't know but I doubt there is any way to figure it out.

Probably some manner of Captain's Yacht. Far too small for a proper starship.

>You know, after Nemesis and the supernova that annihilated Romulus, I wonder what the political fallout was like? A major galactic power lost billions of its people and the capital. Not to mention a good amount of its officers, bureaucrats, scientists, etc. Wouldn't other powers want to take advantage of this and the Feds are in the middle to ensure there isn't anarchy?
Is this in a novel? But yes, it makes a great plot.

No, but it's common sense on a geopolitical scale. Any student of history would tell you that when a major power suffers destabilization, all sorts of chaos ensues in the power vacuum. It's what happened to Byzantium when Constantinople got sacked in 1204.

I know in Next Gen's finale, they mentioned that the Klingons conquered the Romulans in that alternate timeline. The Klingons would be salivating at the thought of their hated rivals being weakened and ripe for the plucking after the supernova. The Feds would be concerned and want to rein in their ally, but that would cause a fuckton of tension.

Mate I mean the super-nova.
>Any student of history would tell you
I am actually working on my PhD in history right now. Well I should do that to be precise.

If you want to find out, go play Star Trek Online.

It's the closest thing to post-Nemesis canon that CBS has given a passing blessing to.

The Coup was interesting but they didn't explore it they used it as a vehicle in plot.

>have somewhat of a Democracy for thousands of years
>senate gets killed
>killer becomes head of state

Funny coincidence between JJ1 and Nemesis is that Shinzon and Remans were miners and a Romulan mining ship destroyed Vulcan.

There were also more and more action based sequences like the offroad tour they took at the beginning or Datas space walk or that forced closeness of Picard and Shinzon when the latter died. Pulling himself through the blade to Picard saying
>now we are one

Watch the pilot and then you can skip to the episode "Q Who" which introduces the Borg. After that, watch "The Measure of a Man" then move on to season 3.

But once you get hooked, I recommend that you go back to the beginning and watch every single episode, skipping nothing.

The supernova was a major plot point in the 2009 Abbrams Trek film. It's why the Abbrams movies are set in an alternate timeline because Romulus got destroyed by a supernova which Spock was unable to prevent.

Wait, what? Wasn't that Vulcan?

>when Constantinople got sacked in 1204.

Nevermind I remember. Still getting confused with this alternative timeline shit. It's going to be interesting to see whether they will "leave" Romulus destroyed in the new show.

Ah, I've heard a lot about that game.

Why don't they just make a show about post-Nemesis? It's set 50 years after the supernova and it deals with the political landscape.

You could hardly call the Romulan Senate a democracy. They were a plutocracy in the guise of a representative body that ran a police state over the populace. No surprise that Shinzon and the Remans managed to take control because they had military force and the people were cowed to accept an usurper than face anarchy.

Honestly, the coup would've been fascinating if it had been assisted by outside forces. I loved The Undiscovered Country film and it would've been interesting if Section 31 had given covert aid to the Remans so that the Romulans would suffer a massive setback. The Romulans were the only adversaries post-Dominion War that could match the Feds.

Romulus was destroyed in the TOS-TNG-DS9-VOY universe.

Vulcan was destroyed in the ENT-JJ universe.

Constantinople was sacked in 1204 by Venetians and Crusaders which caused breakaway provinces and successor states to form. 1453 was when the Ottomans extinguished the Eastern Roman Empire.

lol star track fucking sucks it's like starwars for nerds #dealwithit

>Vulcan was destroyed in the ENT-JJ universe.
Y'know, if I were a Vulcan in the Abbrams timeline, I'd be very wary of the Federation and other races. There's only a couple thousand Vulcans left and the home planet was destroyed. Wouldn't that cause a lot of bitter feelings amongst the survivors and even have them reject Logic?

I think they're better than most of the Trek movies.

Friendly reminder Dukat did nothing wrong

but romulus is going to get destroyed in both since it was destroyed by supernova+red matter

>Better than Wrath of Khan or First Contact
No way. Both Abbrams movie rely a lot on flash but no substance.

*nods approvingly*

>foreigner
Didn't know precise meaning of sacked