Mfw I realised that most of Sup Forums cares more about the "sound" than the actual songwriting

>mfw I realised that most of Sup Forums cares more about the "sound" than the actual songwriting

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AQpjakqe5VU
en.midimelody.ru/my-bloody-valentine/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If songwriting was all thar counted, ambient music wouldn't be worth shit and Loveless wouldn't be huge

instrumentals > lyrics

That's because most of people on here can't even play a guitar.

>lyrics being worth more than jack shit

No. Lyrics don't matter. You """deep""", """introspective""" types would love for them to matter but they don't. The only thing the lyrics are there for are to sound good and give the vocalist something to say that doesn't sound totally retarded and nonsensical.

different emphases for different genres

You do realize that ''songwriting'' has absolutely nothing to do with lyrics?

implying being able to play the guitar actually means shit

OP here, been playing for 9 years

feels good desu

>they actually think songwriting means lyrics

how the fuck did Sup Forums become so plebeian?

t. failed guitarist

That's what I'm telling you, these people have no clue about music, they are just consumers that use weird sounding music to look more cool.

Smartest person in thread except for those who just don't reply

I'm honestly dumbfounded , the average age of this board has to be like 16 or younger

>A songwriter is an individual who writes the lyrics, melodies and chord progressions for songs

this. for instance I care about the lyrics for, say, folk but shoegaze and ambient are more about the "sound." not every genre is meant to be listened to the same way.

>clutching at straws

embarrassing

wow you surrreeee are smart

not

stupid pseudointellectuals make me sick

Yeah, songwriting means writing a fucking song, not specifically writing lyrics as those anons implied.

lmao I'm classically trained in piano
Shove your shitty plebeian instrument up your ass

Yeah, but saying they have nothing to do with lyrics whatsoever is also wrong.

t. triggered failed guitarist

>classical piano
>contemporary music thread

wewlad

Only a pleb would disregard such an important instrument like a guitar just because it's more popular. What are you? 12?

I was that way until I started to make music myself

Songwriting means so much, and I didn't even realize

>not

Wow what a fucking comeback you remind me of my 13 year old niece lol

nobody said that you dumb pleb. songwriting is an entire song, you thought it only means lyrics. you should have just left this thread instead of digging a deeper hole

see

Sup Forums was a mistake

Learn to read:

>You do realize that ''songwriting'' has absolutely nothing to do with lyrics?

that user is also wrong, it doesn't mean you aren't wrong too

They have nothing to do with lyrics specifically

>first year music theory students circlejerk over songwriting
Adulthood is realizing that writing a coherent song is easy as fuck, creating an amazing atmosphere is much more difficult.

>frogposter

not worth replying

But you replied

fuck off pepe

>mucking around with gear until you stumble into a nice atmospheric sound is harder than writing good and memorable songs

t. someone who's never written a song

Writing a coherent song is easy. Writing a good song is harder

Songwriting and creating the atmosphere or whatever one calls it is important too. Although making the "sounds" so to speak is more fun than actual songwriting, at least in my opinion

ITT: pseudointellectual community college thick-framed-glasses wearing e-cig users who are mad that people don't appreciate their basic bitch easy as fuck """skill"""

you just described all of Sup Forums

It's true though. Any senior music student can write a bach piece, any graduate composition student could write a chopin piece, but very few people alive could write a satie piece.
I mean obviously both are very important, but don't pretend drone ambient is of less value then any kind of neoclassical metal shit.

>drone ambient
lmao

?

>drone ambient is of less value then any kind of neoclassical metal shit.
see

>but don't pretend drone ambient is of less value then any kind of neoclassical metal shit.
see

You don't honestly believe that writing a neoclassical metal song is difficult right? Like you don't really think that right?

tell me this isn't good and innovative songwriting

youtube.com/watch?v=AQpjakqe5VU

what the fuck kind of pseudo intellectual bullshit is this?

I quoted the post wrong see

It isn't in the slightest, that's their most basic bitch album, Fas and Si are a lot better.

>pseudo intellectual
Neoclassical metal uses a lot of notes, but the haromonies use really basic chords typically. They rarely even use 7ths for gods sake.

>He can't bend notes

>classically trained pianist appreciates songwriting the same way a failed metal guitarist does
Classically trained pianist here, sad desu

I can't believe I actually read all your dumb opinions. Everyone here thinks they're right, when in fact not one of them has ever written a great song lyrically, or a great song sonically. And to both is the real trick, it's about balance you nitwits. I visualize fedora sporting thirty year olds having a screaming match with teenagers when I read these posts. Go do something with your lives, it's Christmas for fuck's sake. Turn over a new leaf and listen to Nickelback, the greatest band of all time.

Well no shit both are equally important, people don't argue on Sup Forums to be reasonable, they argue because it's entertaining.

>Classical
>Not jazz training

Ultra pleb

I think there's truth to this. I've been listening to Blonde on repeat again and the songwriting is great but the atmosphere is sort of everything. Although, without the good songwriting you would just have an incomplete song with a good atmosphere. However, that is better than having good songs with no atmosphere, at least in the context of a record.

We love in an era of recorded music, the sound matters more than the actual music.

>the sound matters more than the actual music.
Lol, I think I agree but what does that even mean?

Sup Forums is relentless with the cringey threads as of late.
Totally this.

I can play the piano and experiment with prepared guitars.

This must be Christmas

>implying appreciation of the "sound" isn't an abstract appreciation for songwriting

what did you mean by this??

>pleb instrument

Finished music school on guitar.
>tfw when people say "being able to play guitar" means playing 5 chords over and over and after some time using the pentatonic scale
>tfw trying to learn some Albeniz guitar transcriptions and people say i cant play when they here me practice

FUCKING NORRMIEEEES

loveless is a well-composed album though

>Adulthood is realizing that writing a coherent song is easy as fuck
Do it, right now.

this, it wouldn't be shit if the songs weren't well written

Duh Death Grips is a prime example

The sound is the music you flaming idiot

no

Lol no one's being pseudo intellectual. Actually if anything those of you who are pretending to know about songwriting, and equating it to lyrics, but don't know jack shit are being pseudointellectual.

Yeah this is true. Sound design is way harder than melody writing.

This is like the only good response in this thread in addition to the "different emphasis for different genres" one.

Music is a combination of organized sounds. creating an atmosphere is songwriting as much as melodies and music are, it's just a different process of songwriting.

Loveless has great composition

No it's not. Music, at least in the way commonly referred (ie notes and rhythms, etc) to in these threads and most books on music is only part of what created the sound. The instrumention/presentation is what I'm referring to when I say the sound.

>songwriting
>hmmm yes i think i'll put the chorus in a place where it usually wouldn't be

Not really

Production has nothing to do with music

Now just a mo

>Loveless has great composition
no it doesn't

imagine listening to an acoustic version of "to here knows when". how boring would that be?

I can't listen to songwriting

When people refer to songwriting, they are talking about lyrics. That's why when artists are credited with having written the song they are credited for writing the lyrics. The definition of song revolves around having spoken or sung words to accompany the backing music.

Frankly I agree with you about how writing the music should be considered writing the song but unfortunately that's not how it works officially.

Also lyrics/words are the least important part of music so this system doesn't really make sense.

now we are being snobs over instruments
JESUS YOU ALL ARE SO FUCKING RETARDED

Loveless is incredible, but the compositions aren't.

it would be pretty good
check out these mbv midis en.midimelody.ru/my-bloody-valentine/
aside from the awkward pitch-bending the songs sound good even as midis, because they're well-composed! who would have thought
the reason loveless is so successful compared to the hundreds of shoegaze bands that copied it is because of the strong composition lying underneath

But can you play Led Zeppelin songs?

The notation is well-written and they sound even better with the mind-altering effects they toy with, but song structure is almost non-existent. They still play to their strengths though which is what makes Loveless so brilliant.

i disagree man, listening to these midis they still get across perfectly that restless lovesick feeling that loveless conveys. the effects serve to compliment that and turn it into a masterpiece, but the songs can stand on their own