Post interesting facts about your language

The word for "portuguese" in my lanugage actually is "pero" which is the name of the first european explorer to enter Brazil

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-mid_central_unrounded_vowel
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarusian_Arabic_alphabet
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

sounds like you are a big fan of the guy

"ryssiä" means you fucked up, and it also means being russian

There are about 100 words left in France originating from gaulish, most of them are nature-related.

For example, alose (a fish), chêne (an oak), If (another tree), or even mouton (a sheep).

We say "ngordhi"(die) only when animals die(except bees),and "vdiq"(die) when humans or bees die.

"polando" means beautiful, pretty and Poland

Many of our weekdays are named after old gods
Tisdag (Tuesday) = Tyr's day
Onsdag (Wednesday) = Odin's day
Torsdag (Thursday) = Thor's day
Fredag (Friday) = Freyja's day

Tua língua é o português, curumim.

we have backwards interrogation and admiration marks.
I find them more natural to use when i'm reading tbqh.
! ¡ ¿?

I like these. Sometimes I'm a dumbass that forgets to raise my tone at the end of a question so the warning helps.

In German, nouns are capitalized.

well you're all familiar with english, so i'll talk about my specific dialect of english

in yorkshire, we still use a lot of old norse words (or slight corruptions)
for instance, the typical yorkshire greeting of "ey up" actually comes directly from old norse, and is closer to the swedish "sey upp" than the english "hey" like you might expect; in fact originally "ey up" meant "watch out" (which it still does in certain cases), rather than "hello" like it does today

there is of course lots of old norse in the english language, as that is one of its roots, but there are many more found in yorkshire that don't tend to appear in other dialects

this is all thanks to yorkshire's importance in danelaw england, and is not only evident in language but the genetic makeup of the region (it is the only area of england not r1b dominant, but instead l1)

Just like the Inuit have hundreds of different words for snow, Swedish has 74 different ways to name anal sex.

The strongest french canadian swear words pretty much all come from religous terms instead of sexuality like France's french or english

For exemple, saying "fuck" in public wont trigger any reaction from anybody, while saying "tabarnak" (tabernacle) most likely will get a minor reaction from bystanders

this is the same in english btw

tuesday means tīw's day
wednesday means wodan's day
thursday means thor's day
friday means frig's day

each being the angle equivalent of the same gods

Sacrebleu!

Most biblical names have literal meaning in Hebrew that probably only Israelis are aware of regardless of having a dictionary around.

Jacob -> Yaakov -> follow/ankle
Jesus -> Yeshua -> salvation
Daniel -> Daniel -> god judges me
Ariel -> Ariel -> lion of god
Jonathan -> Yonatan -> god given

fun fact: no french speaking nation use that word anymore

It sounds as exotic to me as it must sounds to you

English has this vowel which is supposedly somewhat rare
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-mid_central_unrounded_vowel

The word Perro means Portuguese in spanish.

Also means dog, but they both sound the same.

pero nhe'enga n'aîkuab gué!

We have this
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarusian_Arabic_alphabet

what the fuck

Bleruas
Yes

is it similar to guarani?

we have something very similiar in Polish
when animals die, we use the word "zdychać"
when humans die, we use the word "umierać"
"umierać" can be used for animals when you want to show empathy, though it's not uncommon for some people to always use it regardless of their emotions
"zdychać" used for people is obviously disrespectful