Picking up the audio technica LP60 and some micca MB42s today

picking up the audio technica LP60 and some micca MB42s today.

looks like i will need a receiver as well.

anyone have recommendations for the best price/quality?

obviously looking for budget as my turntable and speakers are only $70 each

im pretty new to this

cheers, r

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/f0my7
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

dont do it

should i get a different turntable or speakers or something

pls

a turntable with no counterweight is in no way worth it

the lp60 will damage your records more than other turntables since its counterweight is not adjustable

ok i see, this has to do with the "weight" of the needle/cartridge pressing into the grooves of the record right?

do you have other recommendations in a similar price range?

get the cheapest reciever you can and try to get a turntable with a counterweight
I got a decent reciever with phono at goodwills for like $10 when I started getting equipment

i reccomment the uturn basic for around 170$ if you're low on cash

will i need a pre-amp?

just get the lp120 senpai

Check this out
imgur.com/a/f0my7
Basically, you need to have a pre-amp somewhere, either built in to your turntable, built in to reciever (it has inputs labeled phono) or a seperate pre-amp

also, r/vinyl has good guides for this stuff.
inb4 >reddit

buy used gear if you neex to, r vinyl is a good place to look for equipment advice on even though Sup Forums hates reddit

Okay I understand!

Pre-amp converts phono to line, and receiver lets you send the signal to the speaker.

WIth a turntable that has built in pre-amp, the signal can be sent directly to active/powered speakers.

So all I need is a turntable with pre-amp and then active speakers.

And I should go with a turntable that has counterweight so that i can adjust the pressure that the stylus presses against the record.

what's a good pressure setting? how do I determine that?

the weight is determined by the reccomended weight of the cartrige you are using, in your case the reccomended tracking force of the cartrige you are using will be written in the instructions sonce you are a vinyl newfag and you will be using the cartrige that comes with your turntable

thanks mane

when you assemble your turntable make sure not to put the counterweight backwards, since this will damage your records too. I once saw a dj with a backwards counterweight and i wanted to kms
also make sure you balance the tonearm properly, sometimes the instructions can be unclear

i kind of worded that wrong, what i meant to say is different cartriges have different reccomended tracking forces

will i need anything special to set the tracking force or does the counterweight have some sort of gauge?

no, usually the gauge is part of the counterweight and you set the gauge up when you balance the tonearm

first you adjust the counterweight on the tonearm until the tonearm floats parallel to the turntable
then you spin the gauge to indicate that this state in which the tonearm floats is tracking force 0
then you set the reccommended tracking force

awesome, makes sense guys thanks.

do you know what the least expensive option will be for a turntable with counterweight?

and how great a risk of damaging my records am i running if i opt for no counterweight?

Make sure to add something for cleaning the records to your shopping list, since dust makes them crackle.
i use an expensive record cleaning machine, but certain household items will do the job without damaging the records too much, just make sure to look up what's good for cleaning them (no fucking alcohol)

I have no experience with the lp60 but i know that some crosley turntables with no counterweights fuck up records (i think they use ceramic needles thougj)

if you're extremely eager to buy a turntable, i've heard that the lp60 isn't that bad and some people dont notice the record damage.
keep in mind that tbe lp60 is extremely frawned upon in audiophile circles

The lp60 isn't that bad, but it's poor design leads to unavoidable mistracking, mistracking damages LPs. If you don't mind them sounding distorted in the future, or you can afford to replace them with undamaged copies, then by all means go for it.

I WANNA BE
THE VERY BEST

the u turn orbit is always praised as a good beginner turntable, but it costs $180

Here's what I'm looking at, boys:

Fluance RT80 $200
>www.amazon.com/dp/B01F2B3FKI/ref=twister_B01KI5736U?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Micca PB42 powered speakers $120
>www.amazon.com/Micca-PB42X-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00NXAEPDC/

As for cables, I'm PRETTY sure that all I need will come with the turntable ... RCA line output directly to the powered speakers, right?

Any more advice, words of wisdom, anything from my more experienced Sup Forumsfags?

Yeah but audio technicas are at least not damaging right? Not always great quality without the counterweight (among other reasons) but it doesn't actually damage anything does it? If anything I feel like it's more too light than it is too heavy.

the lp60 won't ruin your records as much as people say, but over time it will. It played a bit too fast on some records and didn't sound amazing. I would start with a U-turn orbit if I were you, right now I'm using a pro-ject debut carbon and I'm liking it but I don't know if it's a great starter record player.

Why no alcohol
My friend does this

that thing has a built in preamp, so you can get that setup to work
i reccommend something to clean the records with (i use a cheap velvet brush to get the dust out) and some inner and outer protective sleeves

it eats away at some protective layer that sits on top of the grooves, and is said to degrade record quality because of this

of course, you wont notice this the first or second time, and your record will sound great

thank you guys for helping me through all this!

will probably post pictures when i get this shit set up, give it a week

What's a decent turntable with a counterweight that I can just press a button so that the needle automatically goes down? I get that it shouldn't be a big deal but I've already damaged a bunch of records with my needles in the past and if it's ever something that's even a risk then I want nothing to do with it.

i use a atlp5 which has a switch that makes the tonearm descend automatically, but i still need to locate the groove myself

wait how do you fuck this up..you don't ever manually put the stylus on the record, you raise the tonarm with the switch, move it towards the record so that it starts spinning, place the stylus above the record, then move the switch again so that the tonearm slowly lowers onto the record

maybe he has some shit turntable with no switch
i was once an edgelord who used to manually lower the needle because i thought it looked cool, even though i had a switch
broke my fuckin needle once and had to replace it early

Nah on mine I've just fucked up by either not having it raised (by accident) and it then falls on the record, or like in my friend's player where he has to do everything by hand since there's no button. I absolutely don't want one like my friend does
Thanks