kotikielenseura.fi/virittaja/hakemistot/jutut/1990_278.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_grammar#Nouns
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dobry#Declension_2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Germany confirmed for Slavic

>his language is degenerate and conforms to feminist/tranny agenda

your language is incomplete
no crai

British-Finnish eternal language alliance when?

I bought a Hungarian salami today and it tasted fucking nothing. What the fuck, man? What gives?

somalis already stole the taste

Magyar cigany

>Basque
That seems like one hell of a language.

> his language uses the same word for "he" and "she"

Fixed the map :^)

will your flag ever stop posting about how hard your language is?

My grandfather's native language was litereally Hungarian and he didn't even bother teaching it to me, since he knew it's useless cluter

There are a few words in Italian and Spanish that change gender with number, other languages I don't know.

>20 noun classes
what

I'm learning portugese and what do you mean by this

>using separate pronouns for people and objects

not everything in the world is about SJWs faggot

this

>"ah yes gendered languages are racist because they offend non binary gender identities and gender fluid people :)"

who are you quoting

>animate/inanimate
Wonder how their culture influenced them to have this happen

Only SJW's get triggered like this tbqh

>triggered XD

Somalian. Plurals almost never coincide in gender with singulars.

Alberto Barbosa's language is Bantu because he wuz kangs n shiet. :DDD

(Stupid jokes apart, gender in Portuguese is the same as in most other Romance languages - masculine+neuter at one side and feminine at the other.)

t. furry tired of being oppressed with human pronouns.

How come germaniggs are so diverse

What's common/neuter then? Is it that "a/an" translates to en/ett but there are literally no rules on when to use one or the other?

Damn nigga you triggered

>Elsass-Lothringen is blue

Kek

t. triggered

m/f/n (3) is the original indo-european system preserved in German and nynorsk
f was lost in Swedish and Danish and is about to disappear in bokmålsnorsk, so there is only en/et (2), like the 3-gender Latin system was reduced to 2 in Romance languages
Then English, which is basically a German-based French creole, did away with all genders and stayed with "the".

He's joking.
Portuguese is a retard version of Spanish. The language that hasn't developed consistent logical rules and full of annoying nasal voice.

Progressive erosion of endings blurring the distinction between genders.

But spanish have "Lo" for neuter though.

Interesting and informative post, do you know what the deal is with Basques and the active/inactive? Do any other languages do this?

isnt that just a femnist meme? they created "hen" here as a neutral

No, we just don't use personal pronouns in spoken Finnish.

>MFW I speak heteronormative cissexist transphobic language

Common = masculine+feminine as a single gender, while neuter keeps itself distinct.

What's wrong with noun genders?

"Lo" and "Ello" is neutral, using to refer abstract noun or something like that

I don't speak Basque, but I've heard they have a thing called "ergative case", which changes the subject according to whether a transitive or intransitive verb is used.

In other words, for the sentences "the dog is running" and "the dog is eating a cookie", there are two different words for "dog".

To clarify:

han=he

hon=she

hen=gender neutral, feels extremely strange to use in normal conversation

t. r/thedonald/

t. /r/the_meltdown

No really, is not the same sayin "la mejor", "el mejor" or "lo mejor". "Lo" implies something neuter, indefinite or abstract.

That's cool, I wonder if there was something culturally that brought that about in their language

I was just joking. But by what you're saying, is "hän" falling into disuse?

We use "lo" (neutral article) but we have no neutral nouns like German or Polish. "Lo" is only used in a few abstract cases, like "lo peor" (the worst), "lo inteligente" (the smart thing), "lo primero" (foremost), etc

Stop bullying romance languages
It's very important for them that a the gender of a bridge is female and bread is male.

> English
> no gender
This thread again...

Bridges are boys you filthy mongol!

Polish actually has two masculine genders in singular form, besides feminine and neuter.

It weeds out faggots quite easily, because these shy are afraid of using feminine form in public. We can also discriminate them at the linguistic level, even without having to use pronouns.

Where in English you can use their name, and say "Jack is fat" – you don't include their gender.
In Polish the phrase would be "Jack jest gruby" (masculine) or "Jack jest gruba" (feminine).
"Are you stupid?" -> "Głupi jesteś?" vs. "Głupia jesteś?"

>not realising female and male souls inhabit all physical things
Finns dont have soul

Wow...I've spoken Swedish for 23 years and I've never realised there were rules for when to use en or ett.

Hän is a made up word for written Finnish. It was never used in the first place in spoken Finnish.

it's pretty close to not having it

m8 we say "la persona" and "la humanidad"

If you want to imply English does actually have grammatical gender, could you show it?

>hän-liitepartikkelin itäisyys ilmenee selvänä. Esiintymistä on itämurteisia 77 %, ja jos näihin lisätään kaakkoishämäläiset, prosenttinen osuus nousee 94:ään. Partikkelin puuttuminen lounaismurteista ja lounaisista välimurteista selittää välillisesti sen puuttumisen myös 1500-ja 1600-luvun kirjasuomesta.
kotikielenseura.fi/virittaja/hakemistot/jutut/1990_278.pdf
Aktshtually "hän" most likely from after-pronouns used in eastern and south-eastern dialects that were picked up by agricola and used in written finnish which then were adopted in official spoken finnish across the country along with "se". When they adopted it from swedish han/hon nobody knows though.
So you're partially right. It wasn't part of all finnish dialects but agricola didn't invent it on the spot either.

Literally how?
Did you not have basic grammar in school?

But there aren't in Swedish.

"en" when common gender, "ett" when neuter gender.
It's connected to adjectives and pronouns. If you have a neuter adjective, you know it'll be "ett".

That is literally kindergarten tier insults Poland

>his """language""" has pronoun genders

>South Tyrol is red
wtf

>he can't use different genders to offend lgbt people

how do you live?

> Sachsen and Schwaben are dark blue
Really makes you think.

Except that Sachsen speak German just as Sud Tirol does.

> Sachsen speaks German
You should ask /deutsch/ what they think about this.

Of course a retarded wouldn't understand this.
This is a top tier language.
All words have a strong detail to it, so you know exactly what you are saying.
Plus, you don't sound like a faggot when speaking portuguese. Spanish sounds like you have a stick up your ass and that you're screeching like a fag.

Is Saxon German really all that different from standard Hochdeutsch? I mean, it can't possibly be worse than Swiss German or even Bavarian German.

Kinda...

Standard German:
Eines Tages haben sich der Nordwind und die Sonne gezankt, wer von den beiden denn nun der Stärkere ist, als ein Wanderer mit einem warmen Mantel an, vorbeikam.

Saxon German sounds something like this (if written in a Standard-like spelling):
Ehnas Taches hamsch to Nohtwint ont te Sonne kezunkt, wah von beten tenn nuh to Stahkre is, els e Wantro mit nem vommen Mantl an, vohpehkam.

Does norwegian really have 3 genders?

Nynorsk has three (M/F/N), Bokmål has two (C/N like Danish).

Norwegian makes no sense, so nynorsk and bokmål are about how people write, right? What about how people speak?

It's tricky. Proper Norwegian has three genders.
But modern spoken Norwegian is losing feminine.
But there are still parts present too, but only in certain syntax

But if we are gonna mark Ireland as two genders, we should mark Norway as three, as the map is clearly about traditional language, and not as it is today.

Bokmål and nynorsk are how people write, yeah.
Most norwegian dialects is closer to nynorsk than bokmål, but most write bokmål, and are influenced by the degenerate language in their writing.
But even bokmål can have both 2 or 3 genders depending on how you count, and something in between as well.

Ok, that makes more sense, takk.

Why does duolingo give us bokmal if nynorsk is most common?

Most write bokmål, and are able to speak it
Knowing nynorsk could be useful for understanding spoken norwegian though.

we also have two additional masculine genders in plural:
>There are three main genders: masculine, feminine and neuter. Masculine nouns are also divided into animate and inanimate (this distinction being relevant in the singular), and personal and non-personal (this distinction being relevant in the plural). All personal nouns are also animate; some nouns with inanimate meaning (such as papieros "cigarette"; especially many loanwords relating to information technologies, e.g. komputer, walkman, blog) are treated grammatically as animate.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_grammar#Nouns

>English
>genderless
ummmmm ships and countries are female sweetie

only to old people

what about bodies of water?
the sea, for example, she be a harsh mistress

...not sure. I've only heard seas/oceans referred to as female by stereotypical sailor characters in fiction, so imma go with no but don't quote me on that.

you should use a more contemporary example if you want to catch the bright young minds here

like this: japanese cartoons are female

but does it change adjectives or pronouns? that's the important part. if you have one adjective, how many different forms can it get depending on what noun you use? the definition of gender is that it affects other words in the sentence, the shape of the noun itself has nothing to do with gender

Using "she" to affectionately refer to objects like ships and abstractions like countries doesn't make Modern English have genders. In order to have genders, a language must assign its nouns to certain abstract categories, and mark them by grammatical means.

This gets obvious if you compare Modern English (genderless language) with Old English (a gendered language):
this Moon = thes Mona; "thes" shows Mona is masculine
this Sun = theos Sunne; "theos" means the same as "thes", but it's used with feminine words like Sunne.
this child = this child; "this" is the equivalent for neuter words like "child".

(inb4 orthography slightly altered for the sake of example.)

Ok man, I get it, sheesh. I was just shitposting anyways, you didn't have to do all this

>I was just shitposting anyways
Ah, sorry. I thought you were serious - there are people who unironically think English has genders due to stuff like this.

I think that the answer is no, although I would have to make some declesion tables and check it eee... I'm too lazy. But the fact is still relevant - you have to add different case ending to animate/inanimate masculine nouns in singular and also to personal/non-personal masculine nouns in plural. If you inflect an animate masculine noun in singular using "inanimate" affixes, then your declesion is simply incorrect.

S-sorry I made you post all that, Brazil-senpai~

I hope you didn't have anything better you could've been doing while you typed all that out...

You met Brazilian the Linguist

It does: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dobry#Declension_2

In general, non-personal plural and inanimate masculine get the identical accusative and nominative, while the animate masculine and personal plural get different endings. (Latin does something similar)

Don't worry, I like talking about this kind of stuff.

Languages in Papua New Guinea and Australia have all kinds of wacky genders like that.

>Animate/inanimate

The only one that makes sense

Kinda...

A huge part of the gender system is using it productively - so for example, you can grab a masculine word like "bambino" (Italian, "boy"), make it feminine ("bambina", girl) and get a new word. However, this is hard to apply when your genders are animate vs. inanimate.