Hello Sup Forums. I'm looking to buy my first gun. Possibly a shotgun or a rifle with a scope. Any suggestions?

Hello Sup Forums. I'm looking to buy my first gun. Possibly a shotgun or a rifle with a scope. Any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

livingstingy.blogspot.com/2014/04/are-intruders-or-home-invasion-that.html?m=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Price range is probably 600-800 or so.

Bump

not to be an asshole, you'll just get better advice and it's a slow enough board you can come back and look at more opinions instead of going off what people right now say

Didn't know we had a board for that. Thanks

What country? Shot guns are great for birds and clays, rifles are amazing for pigs, rabbits, foxes and so on. For shotgun I'd either go miroku or bertinsolli (the diamond deluxe is fucking amazing) for rifles it doesn't really matter can get a bolt action fairly cheap, scopes are what will destroy your bank account, then spotlights and what ever else you might want to add on.

USA (Cali).. So laws are going to be tight. I was thinking shotgun for the spread (I don't have great aim). But a scope might be nice for stealth... I don't hunt, it would be purely for self defense.

What is the primary purpose of the purchase?

Nice trips

"scope for stealth" "purely for self defense" Nevermind.

It'll be in my closet most of the time. Possibly for killing hippies and weeaboos

Get an AR-15, most versatile weapon imaginable.
I put a 12x scope on mine and use it for hunting.

Top kek.

most self defense or home defense is within 5 meters. If you look through a scope at 5 meters you won't see anything but fuck all. Get a handgun if you want self defense. Your ass ain't gonna be shooting commies and chinks 400 or more meters out in your back yard for self defense. Either someone breaks into your house and you go downstairs in your boxers scared shitless after hearing something weird, you piss someone off and they come banging on your door and won't leave and threaten bodily harm once they get in, or someone knocks you up side the head and says give me all your money in which you do and accept the loss of money and not your life.

Lmao right. At this point is was like I'm done

This, if you are looking for a nice pistol, get a Beretta 92

I'm thinking this or this. Thanks anons

The new Beretta M9A3 is amazing. Not that someone without class III would even make use of a threaded barrel but still. The rest of the options make up for it and it's down to $900 now from its original start price

M&P Sport 15. Traditional AR body. Get 5.56 if you can (556 does 223, but the reverse puts adverse pressure on the chamber after ~1000 rounds).

The reason I say AR is because you can swap uppers very easily, so the standard gives you 5.56/223, and you can get a .22 upper or whatever (6mm is pretty popular). You can also throw a heavier weight in the back, which will increase delay of your pull, but will eat up a ton of kick.

Best of all, relatively cheap, wildly versatile, plentiful accessories (CoD faghots take note) and very easy to disassemble and service.

Pic related.

Jesus...was chambered and then "cleared"(reloaded) prior to a mag drop and clear...look at the 3rd round in the mag and then really take this poster seriously....fuck...

i have a feeling /k/ browses Sup Forums as well and I like it.

wtf you even talking about? "cleared"(reloaded) you don't know if he just put two rounds there beside it or if he cleared with mag in loading another then was like oh yeah lets drop that mag then clear.

In terms of a secondary, Sig is best IMO. This one (P250) is illegal in CA and NY because modular drop out (can be chambered in 9mm, .38, .40, and .45), so go with P226.

If you go 92F be sure to get ALL STEEL PARTS.

Oh. Did not see this. Pic related should be relatively easy to get a permit for assuming you have a clean record.
I my shit is chambered unless I leave home.

You don't own guns that you use much huh? That gouge into the cooper jacket of the projectile is from the bolt - but you already knew that huh...

PMags are reeeally resilient, but I still pop out my rounds every couple months. Spring only needs a few minutes to decompress. I swear the polymer mags are tougher than steel.

Good eye on that jacket dent, yo. I need to reup on my target ammo.

And just for the newbs ITT:

>/k/ knows their shit
>pistols are incredibly hard to shoot accurately
>Scatter gun is best home defense weapon bar none
>Take your most comfortable range distance (20m, 50m, etc) and assume your combat accuracy is ⅓ of that.

That's the reflection from the light in the casing just like the other rounds and if your bolt is fucking up your casing you have an issue. Here's five rounds all been in chamber and when I clear it it extracts and ejects them and they're just like new.

well 5th rolled under but still. If your bolt and chamber are bending casings, you have an issue and it's not normal.

He is right though, in that those rounds have been jacked through a bunch of times.

Nice setup. You like those shorty mags? I never use optics, just the way pappy grewed me up, I guess. You should consider getting one of pic related. Best mod I have ever used.

Learn to shoot iron sights.
Find an Appleseed event near you, go to it.
For the rifle suggestion, Marlin Model 60.
For shotgun, Mossberg 500/Maverick 88.

Ask me how I know you don't know a lot about guns...

Oh of course, well ok then.

What is your full kit load out? I got the 223 + 5 mags, 9 + 2 mags, C3 gas mask, 3S soft + plates, tac hipster, tac minibag, crash pot, Peltor Sports, and a SAR crash pot. Salomon trail shoes and Columbia omni-wick + under armour. I occasionally run in all of it minus iron and mask...

it's an AR10 so 7.62 not 5.56 it isn't shorty mags

I dunno with 8 years active service from 2003-2011 and owning literally hundreds of different ones over time from buying/selling/trading and to this day shooting every day, why don't you tell me?

Why? Springs only wear out when they are used - aka compressed and uncompressed.
Leave your mags loaded, just turn then on their sides every month or two and keep them dry.

My first gun was a mosin nagant m91\30. There cheap to own and cheap to shoot. Great gun. Military surplus. There usually $150-$200 and ammo is pennys.

Oooooh. Fucking sweet! I should pay better attention. Is it heavy as balls?
Good advice. Will do.

A "Class III" is a dealer license for NFA items, aka the suppressor you were talking about for the threaded barrel.
To own a suppressor you need a NFA tax stamp - $200 and 6-9 months wait on the ATF.
Also, threaded barrels except more things than just suppressors - muzzle compensators, cleaning traps.
This is how I know you don't know a lot about guns, regardless of your service record. Most servicemen I have found tend to be like you - overconfident in their knowledge while lacking in it.
Ex-firearms dealer - got out of it because tired of the ATFs bullshit.

Accept*

Let's dispense with the dick measuring guise. We all can learn from each other.

I want to encourage each and every an0n ITT to think about ALL of their weapons: body and mind. Are you all exercising every day? Meditating every day? Picking up litter and talking to your neighbors? Weapons come and go; it is the man operating them that really matters.

Says the person who's never owned a Jennings/Raven/Bryco firearm.

Loooool. Got me there. I did have the Columbine KelTec 9mm for awhile. Fun fun, but broke down after ~1000 rounds.

i think a shotgun is better for hunting rabbits and foxes. I mean, rabbits die easy, and slug shell will kill a fox easy.

X95 Tavor

They didn't use a Keltec. They used a Intratec Tec-9 and a Hipoint Carbine 9mm, and a couple of shotguns.

Yep. My bad. That's the one.

GET YOUR FUCKING FINGER OFF THAT FUCKING TRIGGER YOU CUNT

if theres a burglar in my home and i have a firearm, should i put ear plugs in before i discharge my weapon? or is ear damage a movie myth? i know earmuffs are required at most firing ranges so it seems legit. though i dont think id have the time to put these things on if my life was in immediate danger.

what do you say Sup Forums?

My God no. Just fucking no.
A shotgun slug is way, WAY fucking overkill on a fox. They are considered varmints, like coyote or prairie dogs.
For foxes, #1 or BB shot size, and an improved cylinder choke or modified choke on a 22-24" barrel will kill them at 30 yards.

Shotgun would be much less than your budget $300-350 for a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Get 12 gauge don't let anyone convince you to get a smaller gauge - plenty of ammo options for home defense.

For a pistol get a springfield xdm in 45 unless you are a man let then get a 9mm. Should $600-650.

For a rifle get an AR one from Winfield should get about $700-800. Make sure it's chambered for 5.56 and not just .223 a 5.56 will chamber the other but not the other way around.

Not a myth at all. Reactive earpro is my personal choice, but in the heat of the moment just lay the fuckers out.

+P+ hollow points hit just as hard brah.

should the ear damage be concerning? or is it a mild ringing for a lil while that eventually goes away? im sure it depends on the size of the room and material the room is made out of.

Hollow points are not allowed in some states but 45 is legal everywhere. You also have some.penetration issues with followings since they expand on contact and that contact may not be with flesh at first.

Also the frequency. In my ignorant youth I did not use earpro as often as I should have, and now I am paying the price.

A few shots inside the house won't permanently damage your hearing, and you'll waste valuable time putting on hearing pro - plus you'll need your ears to hear things going on before the shooting and after it in case of more than 1 intruder.
Also like to point out, unless you live in a very high crime area, the likelihood of you ever having a home invasion is pretty small - like as in winning the lottery small or being hit by lightning small.
Disregarding the anti-gun narrative in this - livingstingy.blogspot.com/2014/04/are-intruders-or-home-invasion-that.html?m=1
Most (65%) of home invasions the victim knows the invader. Only 1 in 4 home invasions have a person present when it occurs.
So, couple of things to prevent it - security system sign (or service), good solid external doors, good locking windows, and don't associate with scummy people - doing these things cuts down your chances a whole lot.

well, if it's your first gun, and you have 800, you could buy a ruger 10/22 rifle and a pistol of some sort.. 22lr firearms are the best way to go for new shooters imo.. they are the most fun for plinking / training / practice, and the least costly to shoot when you're going through many hundreds of rounds and honing your marksmanship skills. i'd also recommend a ruger 22/45 22lr pistol.

however if you want an intermediate cartridge platform, an AR is a good way to go.. you can get a pretty good gas-impingment AR-15 for around $800. go with a semi-auto, rather than a shotgun... shotguns are not much fun at all imo.. tho they are versatile for hunting.

if you want a bolt action rifle, with a full power cartridge, get something chambered in .308 winchester / 7.62x51 .. it's a very common and versatile cartridge, and can be used to hunt any game in N america. my fav rifle is a .308 bolt action, despite owning many semi-autos.. it's a ruger gunsite scout... which goes for around $850 if you get a good price from your local gun store.

No shit dude you can only wack it to sexy chrome 1911s for so long.

Lol no. 12 gauge with 00 buck has more muzzle energy than any pistol loaded with +P+ ammo.
Also good luck finding an off the shelf pistol that is made to handle those pressures. That usually takes some modification for most guns to handle those extra hot loads reliably without wear.

High speed low drag oper8or over here.

Lol