Is Oscar Peterson objectively the best jazz pianist?

Is Oscar Peterson objectively the best jazz pianist?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ec-FrnaU0rs
youtube.com/watch?v=KxadblDT6zI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No. He is very good though. In my opinion other contenders include:
Art Tatum
Bill Evans
Bud Powell
Cecil Taylor
Chick Corea
Herbie Hancock
Keith Jarrett
Paul Bley
Thelonious Monk

Monk > other faggots

What are the criteria?

Nooooo.

Yeeeeah.

Oscar Peterson is probably the most accessible Jazz pianist, yet one of the most technically skilled pianists at the same time. From him, one may find an easy way to appreciating Jazz in general
youtu.be/ec-FrnaU0rs

fatts is better

Meh, his music has always bored me. Cecil Taylor is my favorite.

You don't know shit about jazz lol. You're only spouting out that you like Cecil Taylor because he's relatively less known and plays more "out there" stylistically.

>Oh yeah fuck charlie Parker I only listen to Eric dolphy

Fuck off you contrarian faggot piece of shit

All these people saying NOT Herbie when they should be saying 'Herbie'.

>Paul Bley over Carla Bley
>no Andrew Hill

Embarrassing

You don't have to know shit about it to enjoy it. Free jazz is pretty darn interesting to those with avant tastes

Herbie has one of the best soloing vocabularies ever

But the best pure pianist is OBVIOUSLY art tatum, there's no other answer. You could solo like herbie if you listened and transcribed his recordings enough but you need superhuman abilities to even play the sheet music of this
youtube.com/watch?v=KxadblDT6zI

That is gorgeous. I need to stop focusing on 60s era jazz and get into this stuff.

...Damn this is nice.
Maybe not Herbie nice but I really do enjoy it.

>Those with avant tastes

You seriously have to be trolling at this point. I appreciate free jazz as much as the next guy but the topic of the thread wasn't "who's your favorite?" It was "who's the best?" Now I can't really say who's best because they all have such nuanced playing and varying levels of technical ability and different vibes.

And sure you don't /have/ to know about it to enjoy it but it makes it a lot more fun. Maybe I prefer listening to more musical stuff because I can find inspiration in it whereas I have little interest in playing free improv.

But you literally just sound pretentious in saying you have avant tastes and you think Oscar Peterson is fucking BORING. Like I literally don't understand how you could say he's boring. He's probably the opposite. He's fucking killing. Listen to the normal shit then maybe move onto your precious post avant jazz core because I guarantee you'll have a better appreciation of free improv with knowledge and experience with straight up jazz.

>Herbie Hancock described Tatum's unique tone as "majestic" and devoted some time to unlocking this sound and to noting Tatum's harmonic arsenal.[34] Yet much of Tatum's keyboard vocabulary remains unassimilated by today's crop of players.
Glad yall checked it out, within his set of recordings are some of the most majestic and original harmonic/melodic ideas in jazz

>Herbie can't even do it.

Holy fuck the guy must be amazing....

shots fired

Meh, his music has always bored me. Kenny G is my favorite.