Sup magic fags, new player here. Quick question...

Sup magic fags, new player here. Quick question, I just realized I had these two cards from some boosters and was wondering if these strat would work. If I had Tree of Perdition on the field, could I play Ruthless Disposal during my main phase to target ToP and give it -13/-13, then during my battle phase, tap ToP and give my opponent -13 life and win the game? Ruthless Disposal does say the two target creatures get -13/-13 until the end of the turn, not that it immediately dies, so I was wondering if this would work?

I meant give my opponent 0 life btw, not -13

Nope. State-based death upon 0 toughness.

It had been a while since I played but as far as I know once a card hits 0 defense it is destroyed

This right here. There is no time for you to activate and resolve Tree's ability before it dies from having 0 toughness.

So I guess I would need to give my tree of perdition +1/+1 somehow, then use Ruthless Disposal to bring him down to 1 HP, then pretty much win the game?

Bingo. This.

Correct. Game state would be checked at the resolution of disposal and the perdition would die before you could activate the ability. If you activated the ability before disposal resolves, they would be at 13.

yeah
in other words the combo useless.
you already have to sack a creature and discard a card to play ruthless disposal, and that will only bring him down to 1 hp, assuming u also have tree of perdition on the field, have buffed it by 1 toughness and have an additional means to deal 1 damage.

My deck is blue/black, nice gonna order some of those. Until then I have a few of these

use triskaidekaphobia
that's the combo, ruthless disposal would require 3 to 4 cards

>triskaidekaphobia
Oh shit holy fuck, that card was meant for Ruthless disposal it looks like.

My usual wincon with the deck with ToP is either Diminish/Tree of Perdition/Piranha Marsh, or Tree of Perdition/Triskaidekaphobia. Throw in some Assault Formations for insurance and you've got a goofy-fun deck.

No,

I meant for Tree of Perdition* fuck

of course it was

Combo goes like this:

0) Start with Tree of Perdition, Child of Thorns, and Blood Artist on the battlefield
1) Sac Child of Thorns targeting the Tree. Blood Artist's ability will trigger. Put these abilities on the stack so that the Child's ability will resolve first.* (*I believe these abilities will be put on the stack at the same time and thus this works, but I'm not 100% sure.)
2) Let the Child's ability resolve. The Tree is now a 1/14.
3) In response to Blood Artist's ability (which is still on the stack), cast Tragic Slip targeting Tree of Perdition.
4) Let Tragic Slip resolve. Tree of Perdition is now a 0/1. (Technically it's a -12/1, but that's not important right now.)
5) Activate Tree of Perdition's ability (in response to Blood Artist's ability, which is still on the stack) targeting your opponent.
6) Let the Tree's ability resolve. Your opponent's life total is now 1.
7) Let Blood Artist's ability resolve. Your opponent loses 1 life and the game

I wouldn't say that makes it useless, in a black/red deck this could be incredibly useful.

It's getting too complicated to be used in actual play, unless you're playing Commander, where silly combos are all over the place.

Now you're looking at a four-card combo (the tree, the buff, the disposal, the ping), where each card individually is not that great. How would you build a deck around that and expect to survive long enough to pull it off?

But yeah, it'd be pretty fun in Commander.

I'm planning on buying a booster box, I just feel like doing it once and probably never again, would you guys recommend an Eldritch Moon booster box or Shadows over Innistrad?

Wouldn't work, it's been answered why, but there are loads and loads of cards that put +1/+1 tokens on cards so you could likely get your opponent down to 1 life fairly easy. But let's be honest, if you can make all of that happen you're likely already winning hard and about to finish your opponent, so I don't really see a reason for this whole strategy.

My immediate recommendation is to NOT buy a booster box and buy singles instead.

However, if you insist, I'd go for Eldritch Moon. Personal preference, mostly, but I do love me some Emrakul.

why don't you just cast quicken on the ruthless disposal you nerd

isdisniggaserious
Quickening Ruthless Disposal does nothing.
Congratulations! Now you can give your Tree -13/-13 at INSTANT SPEED! ...which still immediately kills it before you can even place it's ability on the stack, you fucking mongoloid.

you need an instant speed effect to put the tree's life total to 0. Try Mirror Entity. Play a B/W beatdown deck with mirror entity as a mana sink to pump your crew, and add in a couple trees for random combo finish. boom, fun deck.

OP here, I originally bought the Shallow Graves intro deck, blue/black, I have the hang of the mechanics and phases down now, but this deck does seem a little complicated for a faggot scrub like me, you guys think i'd be better off learning with a red/green or red/white deck? I like bears

Again, way too complex. You're using up a shitload of deck slots for something with so many requirements that it'll never happen in normal play.

quicken ruthless disposal with tree ability on the stack shitter

You still have to follow the action of ruthless. The combo I said can be done by turn 4 and allows for the buff, action and ping to win.

No, you activate tree, then with the ability on the stack quicken and then ruthless. Tree dies, ability resolves, checks last known toughness info, which was 0. dead.

I really like shadows, but since they are in the same set you can't go wrong with either.

Ruthless disposal wouldn't affect a player life points

Buying lots of current pre-made decks isn't a terrible idea to get the hang of various playstyles/colors.

It's not like LoL or some shit where people hyperspecialize in a single role (how people stand high level play in that game I'll never understand). Just because you like UB doesn't mean you should only play UB forever. Also if you like bears, look into green.

This. I like wolves so I made a green deck that's just wolves. There are endless possibilities with deck building in magic.

Use the Ruthless on a +1/+1 buffed tree of perdition you duck yard