Why wasn't it more successful? Was it really just because of the black princess?

Why wasn't it more successful? Was it really just because of the black princess?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yFz1Gg2GnZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=uQBy6jqbmlU
youtube.com/watch?v=TbQm5doF_Uc
youtube.com/watch?v=PhHoCnRg1Yw
youtu.be/yZAY-78zhmw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

WE WUZ PRINCESSES AND SHIT

It was legitimately sub-par but like every movie these days, if it's shitty and stars anybody who isn't white, it must have been racism that got it killed in the box office and not shitty execution.

It's because traditional animation is dead.

This movie made me want to fuck frogs desu

It didn't get the advertising of a CGI Disney movie.

Facilier is easily the best Disney villain since Scar though

It really wasn't and had great themes and songs.

Top tier Disney animation.

Americans underestimate the amount of racism abroad. Movies with non-white leads will never do as well as they would with white leads overseas.

Funny how liberal coons complain about cultural appropriation but when this coon wears an european royal dress culturally appropriated from white europeans then it's not a big deal anymore all of a sudden

Also the concept of a princess itself is european in nature and tribal apefreakan chimps never knew it in the first place until whites introduced it to them

>Why wasn't it more successful?

Because they let Randy Newman do the music instead of Alan Menken.

>white """"""""""people""""""""""
>culture

smdh

>Whites are objectively more attractive than non-whites
>People recognize this fact
>U RAYCIS

Sure thing D'Sheenquah now go munch on another watermelon and watch some more wurrrlstar

I read once (and it kind of made sense to me) that the choice of title helped this movie bomb, because it alienated the male demography.
Same reason why most of Disney movies nowadays choose to have adjectives for titles, like Tangled, Frozen or Gigantic.

His song and the way he was dragged to hell were based.

Fuck off back to Sup Forums.

Because a negro princess is completely unfucking believable, even for Disney.

confirmed-did not see the movie

You responded to a serious post with that shit. You should be ashamed of yourself.

youtube.com/watch?v=yFz1Gg2GnZQ

Because there's legitimately no market desire for traditional animation anymore. When was the last time they sold wooden rocking horses or trains in a store? Kids've grown up with something newer, and want that, if only because they're used to it. It's only once hey're older and jaded that they can look back and say hey maybe The Secret of NIMH has a little more artistic value than Planes 2.

Yes black women are ugly as fuck nobody wants to look at their hideous asses even in the cartoons.

and you should put down the fried chicken, Tyrone

I don't think the problem was 2D animation per se, I think the problem was Disney doing the same thing over and over again and people getting bored.

youtube.com/watch?v=uQBy6jqbmlU
This looks pretty flat and sedate.

youtube.com/watch?v=TbQm5doF_Uc
This is much more dynamic.

youtube.com/watch?v=PhHoCnRg1Yw
This is 2D animation, but it's dynamic.

Disney's stuff just got boring because they hit a wall with what they were able to do with 2D animation.

It really wasn't bad. I liked it. The animation was good, the music was great, and it was one of those simple little Disney stories with a good message. Work hard, but enjoy life.

Why are you racist Sup Forums? Why don't you like Louisiana culture?

This, although I suspect some anti-SJW backlash played a role as well.

this desu

liberal cuck detected

Did they have SJW back then?

Its a fact that most people don't like jigs, not just users of a shitty forum

I didn't ever remember this movie had songs.
it was a pretty bad movie, and i'm a 2d hand drawn shill forever.

Confirmed for not seeing it.

It was better than:
-Pocahontas
-Snowhite
-Frozen

And probably other ones.

>have a black princess
>appropriate for period and setting
>didn't make her ridiculously powerful
>villain also black
>love interest black, no interracial romance
>anti-sjw backlash

are you fucking retarded
do you think this movie is sjw because there is a black person in it

>opinions are now facts

Not to mention that the whole SJW thing wasn't even on most people's radars in 2009. It hadn't blown up to what it is now.

What about anime. People still watch anime.

Was pocahauntus successful ?

wait pepe is black?

WTF I hate memes now

It's small potatoes in America.

Facilier was pretty based though.

It was pretty good, I re-watched it a couple of times. It has a great villain song.

youtu.be/yZAY-78zhmw

dumb frogposter

fuck yeah, his song was pretty good. Wish the final more upbeat segment was a bit longer, but it was entertaining to watch.

I really enjoyed Princess and the Frog. I hate that all Disney has really done since is CGI shit

Never seen it. Guess I'm a racist.

>anything
>better than frozen

ill fucking end you

Unfortunately this

>It was legitimately sub-par
how so?

>>love interest black, no interracial romance
Did you watch the movie? The interest was an poo in the loo.

alt right is basically just white affirmative action

>better than Snow White

jesus christ, Sup Forums

>Also the concept of a princess itself is european in nature
You're just as bad as the Afro-centrists

I would say it is because most people cant relate to the characters

Personally I know I never watched it because of the title and the fact that it was constantly pushed by the media as the black princess movie.

social rejects watch anime, and normies only watch sexy and violent anime because cartoon network isn't giving them stuff like it.

This famalam. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Very good soundtrack, if not super memorable. Beautiful animation (I miss traditional hand drawn Disney so much it hurts), and, to me, great characters. One of the best villains in a long time.

The character got me interested in Loas and shit. One night I went to sleep after reading a lot about Haitian Vodou and had a really spooky dream where Baron Samedi spoke in voodoo shit while tribal drums played around him. I woke up feeling stiff and sweating. The fucking drums still kept playing for like a second or two.

Movies by Ghibli, Makoto Shinkai and Mamoru Oshii are watched by "normal" people.

Disney killed it on purpose with sub-par marketing and setting(really what kid cares about Louisiana and Voodoo?) so they could focus on pig disgusting 3D and fire all those useless 2D Animators.
Personally I liked it but I can see why it's not as well received as something like Brave or Tangled.

Black people didnt see it because while they had the first black princess, of course they then chose to do the first interracial relationship as well.

Its horseshit. The royalty should have been African !!!

You should read On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers, it's great and has pirates AND vodun/voodoo.

>its a Sup Forums fishes for replies again episode

People rarely pay $12 to watch an hour and a half of anime. Anime got big in the US largely because its free.

The real answer is that is came out two weeks before Avatar.

it just felt like they were pushing an agenda. i had no problem watching things like the fresh prince or the cosby show when i was a kiddo, and i liked other disney princess movies, but i have almost no interest in seeing this. hamfisted 'diversity' shoved into places you don't expect to see it is just not appealing.

Doesn't it take place in New Orleans?

Thanks famalingdingdong I'll check it.

Did you watch the movie? It really isn't anything like what you're describing.

For me, the plot was forgettable, the villain was cool but had no real motivation and didn't do much, for all the praise of being the black princess she was actually a frog for the majority of the movie, side characters/comic relief sucked ass/distracted from most scenes, and it didn't actually focus on the interesting aspects of New Orleans black culture and instead went for deep south swamp people tropes. Also fuck that retard fly and his forced drama

so? they didn't have to make something that took place in new orleans. this way it just feels like black people killed 2d disney feature films.

even if you're right, the characters are also ugly.

They also don't have to make something that takes place in colonial era America or Africa or a fairy tale or China. This is a bizarre argument.

>They didn't have to make anything so it's hamfisted

I don't have to make a sandwich but that doesn't mean me doing so is hamfisted

heh

It wasn't CGI or resembled a Dreamworks film.

Which sucks since PATF was the last really good Disney movie that actually felt like a Disney movie through-and-through.

A combination of
>black princess
>2d animation we everyone was getting used to CG/3D animation becoming the standard
>underwhelmed reviews
>setting didn't seem very intersting to many people
>pretty much a sub-par movie

Not sure how it was marketed in the US, but i literally did not even know it existed until it showed up in the Donald Duck christmas special one year. Then i never heard anything about it again til it started showing up in shitposts on Sup Forums.

And shit i live in Sweden, people here love Disney and Niggers yet i've never heard anyone mentioning this movie ever.

You're welcome, it's a bit fantasy because Loa and magic actually works in it but it's still cool in the end.

>It was legitimately sub-par

It was slightly better than half the renaissance era movies, and was a lot better than Tangled, Frozen, or the one with the twink and the robot.

pocahontas is about the relationship between whites and native americans and is a part of white popular culture. and historical chinese stuff is relatively appealing to white people so it didn't feel forced. the princess and the frog is literally a traditional european fairytale only with black people instead, and seemed more like an exercise in virtue signalling than any kind of genuine attempt to tell a good story.

>The fucking drums still kept playing for like a second or two.

Prolly your heart, sometimes you can ear the blood flowing through your ears as it pumps

This, but not only that. Americans like the IDEA of diversity so they can congratulate themselves on being a party to it. But there's no follow-through. While the political left might orgasm at the thought of a black disney princess or an all-female ghostbusters, they themselves probably aren't going to patronize it because of the acknowledgement that it's purely a gimmick to virtue signal. And when it fails (as it always has and will), they get to blame the racism of everyone else.

Every second of this character was agonizing.

You have shit-taste.

The correct answer

How would Avatar affect this movie just because it was coming out 2 weeks later?

Sounds like the wrong answer.

Because turbonormies (aka most of every movie's audience) only go see one or two movies a month, so they knew Avatar was coming up and didn't give a shit about the rest

>Turbonormies
>once or twice a month

try twice a year

Hype

Not during summer.
Count three movies pers summer (at most) and a movie arround holiday season.

This is the only Disney Princess movie I have not seen and, yes, it is for the sole fact that it has a nigger main character. I vote with my wallet and I will not support such degeneracy.

>little mermaid
>under water
>Aladdin
>far away kingdom
>Tarzan
>uncharted jungle
>this
>New Orleans

Seriously?
i went during Mardi Gras this year and it was really fuckin fun

Pretty much this. It was a decent movie with a 10/10 villain.

Nailed it. Mediocre movie with a totally based villain.

>waaaaaah people with different political opinions are disrupting my safe space! Go back to Sup Forums so I don't have to hear things I disagree with! No political opinions differing from mine whatsoever are allowed on Sup Forums!

>we need black protags because blacks can't identify with white characters
>WHAT!!? white's aren't identifying with black protags?!? those evil racist bastards!
getting tired of these liberal double think episode repeats

>Because turbonormies (aka most of every movie's audience) only go see one or two movies a month
nigga wut, if anything those arent the normies.

Little movie called avatar.

Plus, you can call me racist if it helps you sleep better at night, a black princess isn't going to relate to Disney's demographics, aka whitey

But the movie was great. The prince was shit. The supporting characters were decent. The resolution to the plot was meh. The villain was 10/10.

Also
>all these weenies screaming "go back to /pol" when someone has a dissenting opinion in their hug box

Didn't realize I was on reddit, fucking faggots

I bothered to see it in theaters. It's just really mediocre so I'm not surprised it wasn't successful. The best thing about the whole movie was Keith David.

Combination of Avatar, Black princess not going to sell to most (lets be real this is a factor.), and because Disney hated it and didnt advertise it so they can kill off 2D animation forever.

Songs and villain were great.

...>>>Princess and the Frog>>>>..Planes>buffalo shit>any anime>Frozen

>Black "Princess"
>White Prince
Actually I'm now shocked that Sup Forums doesn't love it because of the love of WM/BF

It did fine, 267mil box office, better than Despicable me.