Why is Black Sabbath labeled as a metal band? I just listened to Paranoid and this is definetely isn't a metal record...

Why is Black Sabbath labeled as a metal band? I just listened to Paranoid and this is definetely isn't a metal record. Also, what other Black Sabbath albums should I check out if I'm not into metal music? Thanks

>and this is definetely isn't a metal record
What the fuck are you talking about?

Because they pretty much created metal. Metal didn't exist when that came out and it started a whole new genre.

its Heavy Metal retard

Their S/T, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Snowblind, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, and Sabotage are worth checking out. If you like what you hear check out their other stuff.

If you want some non-Ozzy Sabbath give Heaven an Hell a try.

>and this is definetely isn't a metal record
m8

the first four black sabbath albums are ground zero for metal- all other metal is derived eventually from sabbath. if you don't think the sabs are metal, you have a warped/incorrect understanding of what metal is.

OP's not wrong, it's not metal. It helped influence actual metal that came afterwords.

Just like I wouldn't call The Stooges Punk, they just paved the way for the genre to come to be.

You'd call the Ramones punk though, right? That's how Sabbath is.

Also, some doom metal bands are basically just tribute bands for Sabbath

Proto-metal is Deep Purple and the like, no? Because if Sabbath wasn't metal square one, what was?

carbon atoms

It's was a mix of everything in the 70s

Take Sabbath's sound and apply it to what Judas Priest and Motorhead were playing and there you have it

Judas Priest and Motorhead are also heavy metal, though. Black Sabbath was heavy metal as well.

I fucking hate when Sup Forums talks about metal.

Or music in general for that matter.

Black Sabbath are 100% pure unadulterated metal. The only album I could see anybody saying isn't very metal is Volume 4, but even that album has tracks like Snowblind which are 100% pure metal.

it's not really metal

it's more like heavy psych blues or proto metal than actual metal.

Master of Reality is more like actual metal desu. Children of the Grave, Lord of This World, Into The Void...

Reminder that Black Sabbath, the first metal band, attributes their entire career to the Beatles. So technically Paul McCartney invented metal

ITT: We post albums that are better than Paranoid

ok, you start

Trips dubs can't save you from being a moron, user.

t. never listened to captain beyond

>being a pedophile

That's not Scaruffi...

>
huh?

True desu,, you ever heard "She's So Heavy," that shit is fucking doom metal heaviness

Real metal starts with Judas Priest more than Sabbath, especially in terms of fast songs.

led zeppelin were a huge influence too

Correct. Geezer Butler had said that "For a while, pretty much all we did was follow Led Zeppelin."

Black Sabbath [Warner Bros., 1970]

All the worst excesses of the counterculture on a plastic platter--bullshit necromancy, drug-impaired reaction times, lengthy solos. They claim to oppose war, but if I don't believe in loving my enemies, then I don't believe in loving my allies either, and I've been worried that something like this would happen ever since I first saw a numerology column in an underground newspaper. C-

Paranoid [Warner Bros., 1970]

They do take heavy to undreamt-of extremes and I suppose I could learn to enjoy them as camp--the title cut is certainly screamworthy. Anyway, I always suspected that horror movies catharsized things I was too rational to care about in the first place. C-

Master of Reality [Warner Bros., 1971]

As an increasingly regretful spearhead of the great Grand Funk Railroad switch three years ago, in which the critics defined Grand Funk as a good old white boy blues band, even though I knew of no critics, myself included, who actually played the records. Grand Funk are American--dull. Black Sabbath are English--dull and decadent. I don't care how many rebels and incipient groovers are buying, I don't even care if the band actually believes their own Christian/liberal/Satanist muck--this is a dimwitted, amoral exploitation. D+

We Sold Our Souls For Rock and Roll [Warner Bros., 1976]

By concentrating on songs (of 17 cuts, 13 hail from the first three albums) and by omitting such pro-tempo-formula-virtuoso moves as "Rat Salad", this makes a fitting mock nostalgia document. Four cuts hail from the band's fourth LP, cleverly titled "Black Sabbath Vol. 4", which I never got around to putting on back in 1972. And you know what? I'm still not sure I've heard anything on it. C

[Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies, 1990s]

Metal came out of a bunch of concurrent late 60s musical movements, also to an extent some indigenous European music traditions being imparted onto rock.

Therefore it can be said that metal was intrinsically born out of European music styles, indeed there was not a real American metal movement before the Reagan years.

>By concentrating on songs (of 17 cuts, 13 hail from the first three albums) and by omitting such pro-tempo-formula-virtuoso moves as "Rat Salad", this makes a fitting mock nostalgia document

I can kind of see his point--after MOR, they started going down the Exile on Main Street route where the album works as one big "song" instead of a collection of songs. I do suspect most casual listeners will prefer the first three Sabbath albums.

Priest didn't really have fast songs until Sin After Sin.

No that is the quintessential and defining metal album.

Not sure what the fuck you think metal is, but wow you must be retarded.

This is true. Sad Wings of Destiny generally sticks to the slow 70s boogie rock style but at certain points (especially "Tyrant") picks up the tempo a bit. Though of course Motorhead can easily be considered the true fathers of speed metal.

It doesn't sound like a metal record because you've been lied to your entire life about what is metal.

Worship Vol. 4

Paranoid will definitely sound odd to Millenials who were raised on the idea that metal sounds like A7X or Hatebreed.

Europeans always liked their dark, brooding Gothic shit--for example, Edgar Allan Poe in his time attracted little attention here, but the French loved him.

metalheads are literally the most oblivious, ignorant morons when it comes to judging what is and isn't a part of 'their' genre

the obvious issue is that they will all assert that sabbath's 'war pigs' is a metal song, yet play them faith no more's cover of it and it somehow becomes 'just hard rock'. go listen to both versions now if you want to really understand how utterly ridiculous metalheads are

it's the same reason you should never trust them on stuff like alice in chains - pretty much every song they ever recorded that turned up the distortion was a metal song, but there are plenty of flaming retards who will sit there arguing that they were 'grunge' (a nonexistent genre) or 'alt rock' (which they incorporated elements of, but were still a metal band at their core)

the truth is the lines between hard rock and metal are so blurred that it makes sense to call sabbath the first just because of how noticeably and consistently heavy their sound was, but given that the same people who demand you do that would also insist you don't refer to a whole slew of supposed hard and alternative rock albums as metal, you may as well just say whatever the fuck you want because it all amounts to meaningless posturing either way

In the general sense, metal=guitar music with riffs/solos/distortion, unlike hard rock which typically features power chords with no distortion, and often no solo.

And sometimes both, for example Led Zeppelin IV has both metal (Black Dog) and hard rock (Rock and Roll) on the same album.

metallica's black album is another good bullshitter litmus test. it's not a very good album but if anyone ever tries to tell you it's not metal you should punch them in the fucking throat

TBA is definitely metal, albeit shorter and less technical than their 80s material. The defining characteristics of metal I mentioned in are all present there.

Easiest test--if Christgau gives a rock album a C or D, it's probably metal. If he gives it a B or A, it's probably hard rock. :^)

It's kind of intuitive. The ability to distinguish hard rock from metal isn't always clear, however upon listening to the two, you can generally tell which is which.

>it's not a very good album

shit tier opinion

Take away the distortion and metal sounds almost just like surf rock.

It's not compared to the 80s albums but Metallica didn't really start to hemorrhage fans until Load/Reload.

Load and Reload oddly are very similar to Judas Priest's Turbo and Ram It Down a decade earlier, in that they were a group of songs all recorded at the same time, but split into two albums, the first containing the more and the second the less commercial tracks. And of course in both cases, they lost a lot of the core metal audience.

Not better, not worse, but just as good.

I think Metallica were kind of dumbfounded and clueless as the 1991-93 tour ended and grunge had taken everything over. The problem was that they waited too long with Load, which should have come out in 1994, not 96 as grunge was nearing the end of the road.

Reload even worse because the songs were so overproduced as to be impossible to play live.

it's not particularly creative, most of the songs are at least a minute or 2 too long and there's a few filler songs on top of that, the lyrics suck and because of the production it's harder to ignore than their thrash days, also it's when hetfield's vocals started to become really corny. but yes the riffs and melodies to the good songs are iconic, memorable and catchy, and it's nowhere near as awful as the metal community would like you to believe.

it's a 3 star album that teenagers who know nothing about music think is a 5 star album and autists in /metal/ think is a 1 star album. it IS NOT very good.

Metallica's downfall came when Bob Rock convinced James that he could actually sing, and also he started writing songs about his feels instead of nuclear war or getting fried in the electric chair.

I think you mean Volume 4. Snow blond is a song on that album

Ridiculously stupid post. Good job.

>it's a 3 star album that teenagers who know nothing about music think is a 5 star album and autists in /metal/ think is a 1 star album. it IS NOT very good

And that's exactly the reception that TBA got in 1991.

>millions of autists bought the album because they were casuals who didn't listen to metal, but thought the songs were badass
>the core metal fans of course considered it shit and a massive sellout

Bob Rock also was responsible for trashing James's voice by making him sing in an unnatural key. He had a perfect metal voice up until blowing it out during the 92 tour.

This is a Sup Forums tier thread. You should all be ashamed.

They had a kind of hard time adapting to the times anyway because metalfags are the type of people who hate any kind of change and expected Metallica to keep remaking MOP forever.

IDK, Black Sabbath went through a bunch of career evolutions over the years. The IRS albums were nothing like Paranoid.

Still, most people only consider the band's 1970-75 output as relevant in the sense that it changed the direction of rock. The later albums rode on fads but did not create them.

Kill em All and Ride the Lightning are better than MoP

Remember, this was back when led zeppelin was considered "metal". 70s metal is still in that mix with hard rock.

>i'm so offended everyone isn't circlejerking over my favorite nu-male beta cuck waifu artist

fucking kill yourself

I like metal, but the problem I see with it as a genre is that it seems like pushing the boundaries of it is just trying to sound as brutal as possible. Now were at the point where people don't even consider Sabbath metal, because theres bands out there creating Drop A tuned walls of sounds with vocals so harsh and unintelligible that it makes Black Sabbath sound soft.

I think OP's confused by the huge shift in metal's production values and the later incorporation of punk influences.

First two records are literally the same style as led zeppelin's records. But third one went in a tad bit different direction with fourth and fifth literally ending up in "metal" territory. So you're right, you can brand them heavy metal if you wish but i wouldnt, its hard rock and thats all there is to it.

Their best album.

Worst of the first six and most "metal" of the six

why is ozzy wearing a dress?

Dio's albums are still really good. Check out Live Evil.

70's Young Thug basically

why is Ozzy the only qt there?

hes retarted

theyre definitely metal for 1970. though for late 70's and early 80's certainly not

GENERALS GATHERED IN THEIR MASSES

FUCKING WITCHES IN THEIR ASSES

One of my friends tried to argue to me that heavy metal doesn't count as metal anymore and while I wanted to call him retarded, the only metal I really listen to is black metal blackgaze and sludge so his knowledge of the genre is vaster than mine

Still, that isn't a commonly accepted opinion right? It sounds as dumb as saying fifties rock and roll isn't rock music

you're friend is stupid but you're a faggot for liking blackgaze

Volume 4 is the worst of the first six.

You guys are just fucking taking the bait holy shit.

that's not the one with 14 minutes of aimless jamming

That's because metal heads try so hard to act like they don't care about image, but at the end of the day it's some of the phoniest shit in some cases. Don't get me wrong I love a lot of metal, but a lot of metal heads are just insufferable cunt know it alls

motorhead was cocaine-jacked biker blues

Yeah and it's the same problem with hip hop as well. The genre is so convoluted with shits who have no artistic integrity. It's laughable really

>you will never hear Thrill of It All again for the first time

ENGINEERS DIRECT CONSTRUCTION

I was born in 1976, so I was 15 when TBA came out. While those who were seeking out heavier music already dug Metallica, TBA really got a lot more teenagers interested in Metallica and metal in general - this of course brought pushback from those who had liked Metallica "before it was popular".

Why is Cryptopsy labeled as a metal band? I just listened to None So Vile and this definitely isn't a metal record. Also, what other Cryptopsy albums should I check out if I'm not into metal music? Thanks