Hey Sup Forums I want to watch Dune but I don't know where to start

Hey Sup Forums I want to watch Dune but I don't know where to start.

Do I watch the 1984 movie first, or the TV Mini-Series from 2000?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S1gC0Ff-VBk
youtube.com/watch?v=vb1_ALSLuLQ
ifdb.fanedit.org/dune-the-alternative-edition-redux/
youtube.com/watch?v=7whegFR6Lz0&index=8&list=PLAA2B93987C16DBB9
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dune: The Alternative Edition Redux

Read the books instead.

Also the tv series, while being more accurate, had a shittier main actor than the movie.

Read the fucking book. Trust me it's a solid investment

Books are for losers though

Books > Series > Movie > Westwood Games

Forgot to add the original TV series. Which is the worst of the lot.

>Read the books instead.
>Read the fucking book.
Fuck off nerds.

Can you tell me what exactly is this that I've been watching?

Hey OP, Iactually started playing the game because it was actually very decent.Even today Dune 2000 can hold it's own.

Dune is many things it's atmosphere, it's plot and plans within plans. You really have to be like cattle and get in the mood for Dune to really enjoy it.

I would recommend watching the 1984 movie or the series(if you don't want to play the game)

The movie was actually pretty good and somewhat close, and if you like the series enough go read the books.

The books are really really good and if you like the series and you read the books it will be all you need to read.

In fact /lit/ just had this image.

>We wuz justice an shiet

Honestly I didn't even know Dune had a game, I just wanted to watch the Movie or TV Series I remember from my childhood but when I looked it up I saw there was a whole franchise behind Dune.

Reading the books? Hell no.

Both the Miniseries and the original movie had many likable elements, but both were deeply flawed and not true to the book.

HBO should do a Dune series, sex it up a bit and make it darker.

Ok If you want to watch the movie that is closet to the books, the 1984 movie. If you want something slightly dune, slightly something else then the mini series.

This and only this. Fuck the miniseries and the original 84 Dune cuts.

Redux cut is best Dune.

Finished Dune (managed to get the leatherbound edition before it got stupidly expensive) and was considering Messiah. Never seen this image, but it sounds about right. Really loved the book, and happen to like the Lynch film.
OP, whatever you do, don't watch the miniseries unless you just want to laugh at it. The '84 movie, on the other hand, is massively underrated. Be sure to watch the alternative edition redux (very easy to hunt down) for the best experience.

>There are actually people that think God Emperor of Dune is a masterpiece...

We're posting on Sup Forums, user. We're already losers.

I think the mini series is what I'm looking for, I want the cool desert, giant worms and blue eyes.

>Can you tell me what exactly is this that I've been watching?
That's the David Lynch adaption.
It's stand alone and different to the books in many key aspects.
The westwood games use this as reference.

The closest adaption to the books is the original mini-series followed by the other mini-series, Children of Dune, which is the OPs image.

Both movies have it really. But if you want the modern one by all means go for it.

What is it that's different about the Redux cut?

I'm watching this one

I will check out the mini series next as it seems to be the one I saw as a kid, well more like a teen, but my english wasn't strong so I don't know much.

Lynch's film is visually creative and stunning but the plot elements are confusing if you aren't familiar with the source and he took liberties which were shit (weirding modules for example)

>Blocked in my country

youtube.com/watch?v=vb1_ALSLuLQ

I'm actually listening to the audio of it. I listen to it at work and when I jogging. It's nice.

That's the David Lynch movie
When you watch the children of dune series, ignore the movie. They're different and aren't related beyond being both dune adaptions.

Wasn't he feeding the antidote to the mentat in his food everyday? So that when he tried to escape or rebel the baron would let him die?

At least it looked nice.

Yep

>weirding modules
I thought that was one of the second most retarded choices in the film. A close third was all the whispered inner monologues, but chief among all was thinking that you could adapt the book in its entirety in one film and do it justice.

I mean, sure, I suppose you could just pick it up mid-stream and not explain anything at all, but you really lose out on Herbert's wonderful world-building going that route. Personally, I'm with on wanting to see a modern, high-budget adaptation.

I third that, but you'd need to get a decent director.
But where would you logically start from?
The foundations for the world building were definitely begun in Dune but didn't pick up or extrapolate until the other books and the awful prequels.

Lots of little changes that make up for it. Irulan's narration is thankfully restored to the cut. The extended prologue section about the guild and the bene gesserit is moved to the scene where Paul is studying on the computer (not in a shitty way, either). Extended edition scenes that mattered were kept and redundancies were removed. Inner monologue was partially cut unless it helped the plot or helped the scene in any way.
And the ending was changed to match the book (which is what Lynch originally wanted from what I've heard.)

Also some small cuts and revisions here and there. Here's a better list of changes:
ifdb.fanedit.org/dune-the-alternative-edition-redux/

>still no Harah

Dammit, one of the most essential characters to the characters development still not added.

Read the book.

Yeah, nothing's perfect. Still, it's nice seeing Paul take Irulan for his wife at the end before the credits. Way better than rain.

Sweet, definitely need to check this out.
Didn't even know it existed

You could do something that would be the best of both worlds. You could have the miniseries eliminate all but essential exposition and have a hot-shit company-sponsored website that they hype at the end of the episodes that goes in-depth with interactive multi-media, sort of like a really amped up wiki, for people to learn more if they want to. Make it a really immersive Encyclopedia Galactica sort of thing that "unlocks" more entries for viewing as the show goes on.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

The Frank Herbert novels were unreadable. I don't understand all of the wank surrounding them. The Brian Herbert ones are actually interesting and entertaining.

Somebody's gotta do it. Dino De Laurentiis did his damnedest to fuck this movie, and it was really nice to see somebody go about unfucking it.

Read the goddamn books.
We're doing you a favor.

This is either b8 or you're a retarded duck.

Brian's work is generic and boring.
He fucked alot of his dad's work simply because he felt he needed to usurp the mantle instead of forging his own path. It's pitiful and people that prefer brian to frank are mongoloids that should've been aborted.

Not at all. Brian Herbert wrote about all of the cool stuff that happens in the Dune universe. The whole saga of the Butlerian Jihad was great.

Reading about how the universe actually was when the machines ruled, and how they were overthrown in the Jihad was way cooler than the allusions to it in Frank's novels. I mean. I guess I respect the originals in the sense that they created the Dune universe, but they were just so fucking boring. Go ahead and hate Brian's novels, though. I don't need you to enjoy them.

It had good ideas but nothing more.
The execution was poor.
It started well enough but devolved into generic wankery that contradicted his fathers work at every turn.
>House IX
>Titans
>How the feud between harkonnen and atreidies developed
>the mentat school
>manion
>serena

*shrug*

That's kind of how I feel about the originals. Really fertile universe for creating interesting stories, but they just kind of fell flat. I don't know what it was, man. The prose? I barely made it thought the first one. I started the second one then gave up.

Didn't it turn out that fucking Thufir was the True Kwisatz Haderach, and they cloned him and most of the original cast to save everyone or some shit like that?

Brian made the Star Wars EU at its worst look feasible.

It's the way he went about it and the fact he thought generic garbage was better to include than using his imagination is what makes him a scrub. Then again, it was a collaboration between him and that other guy, so maybe the generic shit was the other guy.

You've confused Duncan Idaho with Thufir Hawatt.
But yes, Duncan is the true Kwisatz.

Time from the movie to the mini series is equidistant to the time from the mini series to now.

Fuck me.

I don't think I know what you mean by "generic." Name things in Brian's novels that were generic.

The best part of Brian's prequels IMO is Norma and her plotline. That little shit was the most endearing character but again it became generic crap.

I don't follow the Brian books and don't plan to.

Also just found out that Kevin J Anderson was helping Brian along, which explains why the Brian series is about as retarded as the EU. He was responsible for quite a few books in that mess.

evil AIs

This is a perfect cast, but you can switch Duke Leto I with Viggo Mortensen, and who the fuck are Chani, Paul and Feyd? Seriously, 3 literal-fucking-who ugly nobodies. Switch them with oxygen, that'd be a better use.

>machines rising against humans that take them for granted

So generic a black writer tried to sue James Cameron, the Twilight Zone, and the Wachowskis because even she had a similar idea.

The Atreidies plotline (both from the prequels during the Jihad and the series when Leto is a child and involved in the IX crap)
The Ixian plotline.
The Corrino plotline which involved the spacing guild.
The Mentat plotline, specifically Gilbertus and the legless chump.
The ending of the Spacing Guild plotline.
The Titan plotline.
The Ibis plotline.

Heck the majority of it is generic. There's no build-up and it's all predictable.

First, the originals has the concept of evil AI's. A large part of their society was built around not allowing AI's to come back. So the evil AI thing applies to the originals as well.

Second, what makes evil AI's "generic" exactly? Just lay down a definition of "generic" for me. Do you mean to say, "it's been done before?"

Paul is the immortal kid from Misfits. He's way too much of a smartass to play Paul.
Also Gleeson is way too likable and heterosexual to play the Baron Harkonnen in any convincing way. He was a gross faggot in pretty much any adaptation.

The casting is generally great otherwise.

Who is your Bene Gesserit waifu?

>First, the originals has the concept of evil AI's. A large part of their society was built around not allowing AI's to come back. So the evil AI thing applies to the originals as well.

But that's wrong. Machines that simulate human thought doesn't automatically translate into generic evil AIs. The Jihad was clearly about overreliance on machines to make choices for humanity. That's what fits the most with the themes constantly explored in all the books.

General retardedness
>The creation and then loss of Null-ships
>IX being ruled by a cyborg even though it's stated they're a Theocracy
>The Bene Gesserit civil war and eventual usurpation by someone that simply seeks revenge
>The soon to be second war against AI machines because the Corrino princess who's air-headed listens to Erasmus
>The entire Zensunni plot and Selim Wormrider plotline

Fey'd, Rabban and Irulan are horrible but otherwise that's the perfect cast IMO.

Man. I'm getting really tired of you saying "generic."

>evil AI (there're only 2 true AI)
>keep humans as slaves and cattle
>Erasmus literally has a ranch in his yard that is filled with human cattle he uses to dissect and experiment on
>No rebellions

>Serena appears
>Erasmus becomes infatuated
>Drops her kid off a balcony
>Suddenly rebellion

Alia

Read the fucking books

What is this? Why are you typing this? This doesn't answer the question.

The plot points and hooks are overused and predictable.
Franks books were not.
Add to this the fact Brian contradicts already established lore and adds shit never referenced anywhere else even when it has every right to be, makes it terrible and generic as a whole.

Ghanima all the way, especially CoD Miniseries Ghanima.

Yeah, the whole "messiah" thing was really fucking innovative.

I'm pointing out how stupid the logic behind the Jihads beginnings are. You'd need another entire book to show the build-up of it instead of a few chapters.

The innovation was how he went about it and the way it fit into the greater lore.

What're Brian's innovations?

I guess we don't agree on what caused the Jihad. Saying that the deal with Serena is what caused the Jihad is like saying that the Confederacy firing on Fort Sumter is what caused the American Civil War.

Humanity was enslaved. They go over that in rather vivid detail. It wasn't just a few chapters. Like the scenes with the humans building that monument to... what's his name? One of the titans. I forget which.

Neither
They're both shit

Just read the original book
You can read the second and third if you want that's up to you
I would recommend not reading past that
But if you do, under no circumstances read the books his son has written

Hiring Kevin J. Anderson, legendary author of such gems as The Young Jedi Knights series, tree X-Files books, Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I., and a shitty space opera series.

Agamemnon. Vorian's daddy and the progenitor of the AI and Atreides line.

That's what set the Jihad off.
It was building up for sure, but to have it sparked off by a kid being dropped from a balcony when they're doing so many more horrible and inhumane things is stupid.

I don't know what his "innovations" are. But I'm also not the one having an autism-meltdown about it either.

Is this a meltdown? I thought we were discussing the differences between a father and sons creative ability.

I don't know. It didn't bother me. Shooting Archduke Ferdinand sparked World War I. So that's just how shit goes down in the world sometimes.

You hate Brian's novels because they're "generic." I think the points you've made are pedantic, and I'm exaggerating what I think of your opinion for comedic impact.

I never said I hated them. I like them and disagree, "autisticly", that Brian's works are better than his fathers.

Go back to comedy school, then.

Just jumping in here. I don't think they're generic.
I think they're fucking awful due to bad writing, shitty ideas, and a sheer disrespect for the source material.
I mean look at this disappointing curly headed little shitstain of a son he has. I slogged through one shitty book of his and Kevin's (likely mostly Kevin's) and never picked it back up.

Anybody with sense out there: don't even bother. Stop at God Emperor or Chapterhouse if you're really into it but for the love of God stop there.

You're not the one who called his stories "generic garbage?"

"generic wankery"
or that people who like Brian are "mongoloids that should've been aborted?"
If so then I apologize for misrepresenting you.

No.

>read the books instead
There has never been a movie where this has been more true.

I haven't read any of Brian's novels in over a decade. But I still think about Erasmus sometimes and it still disturbs me.

IDK, man. I just like Brian Herbert.

Well, at least somebody managed to.

Why the fuck can't we get an HBO Dune series? I mean they did Game of Thrones... only seems right for Dune to be next.

This hilariously bad Dune thread was about to expire

Pls no

Chani should be darker skinned desu

>All of this hate for the miniseries

Sure, the first one has really poor production values and the guy who plays Paul isn't very charismatic but the did the best they could and it's still pretty god. Whereas Children of Dune is fucking GOAT
>dat soundtrack youtube.com/watch?v=7whegFR6Lz0&index=8&list=PLAA2B93987C16DBB9
>dat qt Irulan
>dat cinematography
>dat james mcavoy

read the books, then watch the david lynch movie for ginger sting in a speedo

No she shouldn't. Most Fremen spend essentially their entire lives either in stillsuits or caves and on top of that she had red hair and her father was an off-worlder. She probably looks more like a ginger than an Arab.

>There are people on this board RIGHT NOW who genuinely didn't like Alec Newman as Paul

wtf familia

He's just kinda there m90. He has no presence and looks way too old to be playing Paul.