Hey Californians, how realistic is the town of Sandy Shores? What is it based on, anyway?

Hey Californians, how realistic is the town of Sandy Shores? What is it based on, anyway?

I've never played gta but I'm pretty sure that place is based on the Salton Sea.

It used to be a huge resort area in the 1950s. It was basically a miniature ocean in the desert where you could swim and ride boats and fish for saltwater fish.

It just became more and more salty over time, so much so that almost nothing can live there. During the winter some tilapia colonize the entire lak, but in the summer it gets so hot that almost all of them die at the same time. The suriviors wait in small pockets until the winter when they can recolonize.

This results in the entire Salton Sea smelling like a rotting corpse.

As a bonus, most of the shore of the lake is actually not sand but layers and layers of dead barnacle shells.

All the resort towns are now ghostly skeletons of their old forms.

Judging by its name and layout, Sandy Shores is based on the town of Desert Shores in California. Sandy Shores also has similarities to the surrounding towns of North Shore, Lancaster, Bombay Beach, Mecca, Barstow and Salton City.

Oh man, that actually sounds kind of cool, like the sort of place you might want to visit for the same reasons you'd visit Chernobyl.

The whole sea was created by accident back in the 1910s when a few engineers accidentally flooded the Colorado River into the low desert, which made a lake.
Oh yeah the Salton Sea is really cool, you should totally visit.
Also, most of the pollution came from farms that would dump all their fertilizers and pesticides in the lake (or it would be runoff water), not just salt.

Similar reasons as visiting Chernobyl, sure. But keep in mind that Chernobyl has a very spooky aura and is intimidating (at least to non-Ukrainians). These towns are rotted meth-infested pieces of shit. Some are completely abandoned while others are still inhabited by some of the worst people in the country. Sandy Shores is very accurate. Near perfect, actually.

I fucking hate the entirety of the Inland Empire. The rich areas of GTA and the people who live there are more exaggerated, but are still relatively accurate.
>t. southern californian

Whoops. Read the second line first, then the first line.

For what do Mount Chiliad and Paletto Bay stand for ?

>I fucking hate the entirety of the Inland Empire.

I sort of agree, but I did like the beginning and the culmination with the spooky smiling thing

never played the game so I can only comment on the aesthetics.
It definitely looks like a town you would see driving about an hour inland from San Bernardino or Riverside.

>Oh yeah the Salton Sea is really cool, you should totally visit.
No it's fucking not.
Although there is a massive outcrop of obsidian near there that's cool. Not worth the trip though.

>Mt. Chiliad
Mt. Shasta. Both are roughly the same shape
>Paleto Bay
Back to the coast. The bridge is 100% the Bixby Creek Bridge in Big Sur, CA.
Pic related, the red circle

I mean in real life. I got like 80% finished with GTAV then built a new PC so I never finished it because I have to start over.

isn't there a former military base nearby that's a giant squatters town?

I know, you tizzy, I just couldn't let an opportunity to make a purposefully retarded joke pass me by

>I fucking hate the entirety of the Inland Empire.
Wow rude.

Go snowboarding at Big Bear and chill out

Probably.
Route 66 is worth a trip in the southwest if you like those abandoned ghost-town vibes.

Yo, nothing personal but I've seen about 80% of California and the inland empire is as bad as it gets. There are some nice suburban parts, but the cities and the desert should be avoided like the fucking plague.

I should also include the other locations.
Blue - Mt. Shasta
Red - Sandy Shores area. There are tons of old, decrepit wooden buildings everywhere around here. These little "towns" exist for a while until you get to central Arizona (direction of arrows). There are still buildings from the gold rush days that are somehow still around. Other buildings have roofs blown off because someone accidentally blew up their meth lab. Then you get a little civilization then New Mexico is full of nothing.

meant slab city

palm springs is there, should have put that in the game
>waiting for a flight
>notice everybody around me is over 70
>flight 263 to palm springs is now boarding
>everybody gets up

Every fucking year as a kid I would have to go to Palm Springs with my grandparents. Nothing but fags, old people, shitty art, and ridiculous temperatures. That place was originally meant to be a golf-resort town but for some reason dudes love shoving cock in each others' asses there. It's poor man's Vegas

I love watching youtube videos of things like that
One day I shall travel out there