Getting a new PC. what are some things I should put on it when the thermal paste and hard drive comes in tomorrow?

Getting a new PC. what are some things I should put on it when the thermal paste and hard drive comes in tomorrow?

pic related. its the case for the tower.

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxmint.com/rel_rebecca_mate_whatsnew.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

CP

thats on my external, so no.

Mint.

Magnets, keeps it protected from hacking

Is this Mate?

5-1/4" floppy drive.

RAM...you need at least 12k. definitely go with a 56k modem.

>Is this Mate?
Yes, pic is old but Linux Mint 17.1 MATE Edition comes with two window managers installed and configured by default.
linuxmint.com/rel_rebecca_mate_whatsnew.php

For gaming, i5 processor and at least 8 GB RAM. A graphics card with 2-3 GB vram is recommended. You can basically run anything with that, but it's expensive

Obviously you will need windows if you are AAA gaming but Mint is easy to install as dual boot with windows, that's what I do as Linux and driver support is not good enough yet, hopefully one day.

Get a 6670 1gb ddr3 it[s superrino good irt runs all games at ultra on my pc

I know.
AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core processor,
MSI Radeon R7 250 DirectX with 2gb of vram and
8gigs of solid. I built it so I wont have to buy another rig for atleast 10 years.

>6670 1gb ddr3 it[s superrino
Totally man. I mean, its not like im in college for computer sciences.

I will likely start with windows on my computer and check out mint on my current device (laptop) and if I like it, will make the switch.

I will make a suggestion. Look into mini itx. If it doesbt fit your needs dont worry about it but if youre just playing shit games and dont fall for the xfire/nvidia xfire meme it might be a cheap alternative.

lol that'll be capable of running games at low-medium for the next 2-3 years and then it'll probably die out unless you change your GPU,but your CPU is also trash so you'll have to change that into a Zen/i5/i7 and with that change the motherboard as well. Hell,there's NO way those parts can even last 10 years even if you use the computer as a facebook machine. So no,not 10 years,2-3 years as a gaming computer,5-6 years as a facebook machine.

>I will likely start with windows on my computer and check out mint on my current device (laptop) and if I like it, will make the switch.
You can d/load Mint or most Linux distros as an ISO file and burn to DVD and run Linux from the disk without installing it, good way to see if you like it although it can run a bit slow from DVD.

Im gonna say thats some elitism going on.. Friend has the same rig ((bought essentially the same computer) and he's had it for ~4 year of hardcore gaming and it still looks new. only thing I'll want to change about it is over to water cooling as summers here get facking hot, and my AC unit is shit.

Depends. How much thermal paste did you order?

seriosuly

i5 6600k
Gtx 1070/1080
16gb of DDR4 RAM (bc rams cheap as fuck)

two pack of the tubes. dont plan on putting an inch of paste between the CPU and the cooler.

This. Why do people even bother buying AMD CPUs anymore other than the price? They haven't had a decent one in years. AMD GPU I can understand, but the GTX 970 offers more bang for buck and it's gimped by .5gb of vram

either that, or Im missing out on a level of gaming where you hae to run 4-5 high end games on ultra settings 24/7. one or the other.

Right, but like, thermal paste is for conducting heat. You can actually drop like two or three degrees if you put a thin coating on the entire case.

Intel CPUs are more expensive, but they dominate AMD in performance and longevity. Nvidia and AMD GPUs offer about the same price for performance. AMD GPUs basically melt and need a nuclear reactor to power them. Nvidia GPUs run much cooler, need slightly less power, and offer a much bigger performance margin. AMD needs to up their game again.