This show is borderline incomprehensible if you've never read the comic...

This show is borderline incomprehensible if you've never read the comic. Don't even bother trying to watch if you haven't.

you just dont "get it"

Just by watching the pilot I know more about the main character than reading the fucking comic book

>The pilot episode of a show that if it does well will last 5+ seasons doesn't give away what's going on immediately thus it's incomprehensible.
Sup Forums logic.

or its just bad

t. someone who's read the comic and is therefore biased

It really wasn't.
But okay.

I read the comic when it came out and only have a vague recollection of it. Will I comprehend it?

Read the comic numerous times.

This is very different. About the only things from the comic in the pilot are the characters and Genesis.

I actually like it. Based on the Pilot, they aren't going to follow the comic's plot at all and this will be a new story featuring the characters from the comic.

I can live with that.

Is it any good though? I mean, they can't talk about Martian niggers in it now can they?

I like the castings except for Jesse. I hated this soft spoken, Jesse. He sounded like a punk bitch and looked like a noodle.

The pacing was all over the place and the campiness is pretty damn high.

I liked the comic and think they really missed out on catching what made the characters great in this episode.

My friend who watched it with me was confused at the end of it all and while was left with questions wouldnt care to see them answer to watch episode 2

I liked it. I'm sure they can talk about the Martian Niggers if they want to. They're setting the sheriff up to be much like he is in the comics.

AMC isn't going to let them go full Ennis but they'll probably let the sheriff be as racist and paranoid as he was in the comics.

It was bad though.

What about Billy-Bob and his precious bloodline?

>they aren't going to follow the comic's plot at all and this will be a new story featuring the characters from the comic.
>I can live with that.

Not knowing the first season follows the prequel comic.

B-but apart from the characters, the setting, and the Voice of God power, there isn't anything in this show that even resembles the comic.

I even had to break out my Preacher: Gone to Texas volume to see if maybe I was forgetting something like the Airplane fight scene, Jesse stopping an abusive husband/father, Jesse getting arrested and meeting Cassidy in jail. . . etc.
I wasn't.

No duh, it flunks as an adaption of the comic.
Now that that's out of the way, how it is as a separate but "based on" expression of art is yet to be seen.
Hey, it's not like there's no chance we'll get a proper adaption some other time.

I will watch it tonite. If comicfags hate it, means it could actually be good.

It was very easy to follow, the fuck are you talking about 'incomprehensible'?

It wasn't, truthfully, all that good, but 'hard to follow' is not a criticism I can level.

>preacher is a broken man with mysterious tough past. Some kind of entity has entered him.

>Irish guy is a vampire on a mysterious mission

>black girl does jobs to get stuff. She gets in trouble

>the world's a shit hole

Theres not much to get. It's all straight forward for a first episode

well-done pilot. high production value.

fight scenes were kinda shaky but not too shaky. i'd give it a 9/10.

cast was great. everyone was convincing in their roles.

Downloading it now. Had the comic book on the back burner but never got to it even tho I know I should have.
Hope it's good, if anything it will make me finally read the comics.

>watch pilot
>3 separate weed smoking sequences

Who the fuck approved this?

was good

Tulip with the kids was great.

>be 10 yo
>parents aint at home
>lil brother to look after
>suddenly a car rushes in a backyard
>some chick just broke a person's jawbone by a corn
>blood everywhere
>lmao, definitely should make jokes about dead people and help her blowing up a fucking helicopter with handmade rocket launcher basically made out of paperthin aluminium
>women stronk

Most illogical scene I've seen so far, nevermidning terrible acting on Tulip side %%neverminding it's a complete miscast%%.

>Ipad in the church
>makes donkey kong noises
I know it's just a small detail, but this one pisses me off more than COMPUTER NOISES in movies.

>MFW I thought they went full 'Dark Tower' on us at the opening scene, but then I remember the comic.
Thank fuck!

It wasn't bad, the first episode was too short and didn't explain enough though.

Remember that diversity trumps actually staying true to the original work.
Just look at the Dark Tower disaster.

I've read the comic and I still won't watch it.

did you see none of the casting news or photos at all?

I'm not even against black Tulip, but couldn't they at least attempt to find the one which is not a shitty actress?

What's the deal with this thing?

>This show is borderline incomprehensible if you've never read the comic
>Fans of the comic won't watch it because ruined the original source

Hmmm....

Russian offician church of Satanic Communism, cyкa блядь.

DON'T DEAD OPEN INSIDE

As a reader of the comic book, I can tell you it's still pretty fucking shit and all over the place. Has even less to do with the comics then Walking Dead. Really poor adaptation.

So, how close was it to the comics and what was different? Not that we actually got to see anything real.
Will they fallow the comic?

see

Hoping for something specific

its got the same characters thats about it Tbh

Well, that's a good start, no?

Shit gets real at last 10 minutes of a pilot, I didn't expect much from simple character overview. Looks like they are going to introduce Odin as a local villain for a first season, maybe ham-fucking, KKK and Nazi fetishism will bring more life in series.

just because it has characters named jesse/cassidy and tulip doesnt mean they are like their comic versions. so no

Looks more like it's gonna be the Agent Dudes. And Jessie himself, murdering the townsfolk one by one.

Comics Jessie
>I have the Voice now, time to punish God for all the shit he's done to all of us and fuck off from this shithole.

Series Jessie:
>I have the Voice now, so time to stay around this shithole and be the Best Preacher Ever, yaay!

Was the Saint in it?

Aaaaand I just download the comic and started reading it.
I liked the pilot, I want to watch more so that's good.

Not yet.

He doesn't even know he has it yet.

Jesse Custer is in mid 20-s, he hated god, hated townsfolk, hated being preacher, he was made to do so.
Tulip is blonde caucasian who is afraid of guns because her father was shot by deer hunters while taking shit in a forest.
No one hunts Cassidy because he's a vampire, he wears sunglasses because he has really creepy ghoul-style eyes. Probably the most accurately transfered character for now, but there is not much of him.
TV series seem to go in a completely opposite direction.

If you liked this, you'll hate the comic.

On a bottle of whiskey at the beginning.

There wasn't much to like, desu? The brief view of the characters seemed interesting basically.

This was the worst change. Maybe they'll do a 180 on it though?

>So, how close was it to the comics and what was different?

The circumstances under which the characters meet are fairly radically altered, as is the general day-to-day life of one of the major character (Cassidy, though I'm not sure I hate the change). The backstory of another major character (Tulip) I already knew from promo materials has been changed, she's no longer a sort-of criminal who's good with a gun, she's now like if MacGyver got bitten by a radioactive stripper. There seems to have been a radical change to the main character's background as well, though they're teasing the exact nature of it.

The events of the premiere bear very little resemblance to the first few issues of the comic, but you can see they're heading for some kind of ongoing state of affairs broadly similar to what the comic establishes.

I'm reserving judgement. It wasn't great, it wasn't terrible, there were parts I enjoyed and parts I didn't. I was a diehard fan of the comic during its initial run I'm old as fuck and the comics will always be there. Maybe this will be fun, all I'm looking for in a Preacher adaptation really.

>Tulip is blonde caucasian who is afraid of guns

Say what now? Not the blonde caucasian part, obv.

He doesn't know he has the voice yet

>Tulip is blonde caucasian who is afraid of guns because her father was shot by deer hunters while taking shit in a forest.

Tulip was definitely NOT afraid of guns when she enters the story.

>because he has really creepy ghoul-style eyes

You know you're some cunt for just blurting that out. Unironically: delete this.

Without a doubt better than the comic so far.
And that's single-handedly since I don't have to look at Dillion's art.

Eh. Dillon's art is bland, but safe. I'm a real pleb when it comes to this shit, the more representational, the better. At least his figures look human, unlike the walking carrots with pumpkin faces that Frank Miller gifts us with.

You really think that's much of a spoiler? They showed it in a first teaser.

Dillion's art is horrific. Not technically bad, but so incredibly uninspired.
All characters look the same, and I'm not even talking about the infamous frank-face. Posture, movement and body types are all the same crap. The page dynamics are non-existent. The inking looks like they are done by the intern.

Even Miller's worst pages have better artistic quality and page dynamic than the average Dillion.

I don't know anything about the comics but it the show just drops you into the world without any pretext for anything

I know NOT everything has to be explained but there is no sense of direction of what kind of series this will be

It's not a spoiler for the show, we see him without shades at all in the show. It's a massive fucking spoiler for the comic.

>Even Miller's worst pages have better artistic quality

Meh, again, I'm plebby as fuck on this. Miller draws people who don't look like people. The only way to tell women from men is that women in Millerland have lips and men don't. Dillon may be boring, but I'm never pulled out of the story by how fucking bizzare the characters look.

Dillon to me is like a less versatile Darick Robertson. Miller is just his own weird thing with these mis-shapen things that I'm meant to accept are people. But why fight.

>Cassidy is a badass who takes down a plane on his own
>Tulip is a badass who takes down a chopper on her own
>Jessie is a badass who takes down three hicks on his own

It's not like they need the Voice of God at all

So do you think it was grandma that killed Jesse's dad in the show or will they change that?

They amped up the badassery a little, but not by all that much. Except Tulip. In the comics:
>Jesse is insanely brilliant MMA fighter trained by his hick Evil Father Figure who killed his Dad
>Cassidy has super strength and reflexes and can absorb insane damage without sweating

Honestly, Cassidy was so OP in the comics that I really didn't buy Jesse winning the fight, at all. Just didn't seem plausible. I get what it was trying to do, but it didn't land.

>Television is a complex art medium.

The same people who think Twin Peaks is an endless labyrinth.

>It's not like they need the Voice of God at all

They never did? Jesse rarely uses the word to settle anything he can't do with his jackhammer fists, for him it's a last resort.

They cast a nigger to play Tulip? I'm dropping this show before I watch it.

>that one guy who really wants people to think he's smart

Well bro, I do. I do think you're smart. Very smart.

Shes on agents of shield and she was always the worst of the reoccuring cast.

>next episode airs June 5

Are they trying to sabotage their own show or what?

She can only do the passive-agressive thing, which is really isn't Tulip

Oh what the fuck man, I was bummed that I have to wait a week for another, but this shit...

Anyway, I don't know what you fucks are blabbering about, there was nothing you couldn't get in the pilot, it was all laid on the table like for retards. You would gone ape shit if you ever watched Lost. For me I never read Preacher and I'm not at all into the comics scene but I like the theme and settings so I gave it a try. As much as I like Gilgum I'm sad to say that I think that I probably will get tired of his character and gimmicks. The dude who plays Preacher doesn't really convince me of his acting abilities and the Tulip girl I like much more than that unsympathetic looking blonde from pictures I've seen.

The whole show could've been more raw and brutal for my taste and I wouldn't be mad at all if it had less realistic and more cartoony feel to it.

Should have burned 200 people and got the power that way, would have been more of an impact. But now we gonna be a good preacher and stay and do the best we can!

He didn't really win though. There was no way he was still going to beat Cass without using the word.

Its not that it's a last resort. He clearly doesn't need it and forgets he can even do it.

Yeah that too

>He didn't really win though. There was no way he was still going to beat Cass without using the word.

It's been a while since I read it, but didn't Jesse use the word to make Cassidy STRONGER in the final fight, by telling him to fight him with everything he had?

bump

Yes, he doesn't use the word for the entire fight, previously he used the word to tell Cassidy YOU'LL FIGHT LIKE HELL WHEN THE TIME COMES.

And Jesse did indeed kick his ass without it after which he sucker punched Jesse in the chest and let the Sun kill him

I still give Cassidy that fight. When Custer tells him to fight like hell when the time comes I cried. Most emotional scene from a comic imo.

My 80 year old grandmother had trouble understanding it too. But just the Supernatural aspects. Can you imagine explaining to your grandmother how geniuses came about?

Explaining smartphones or right click on a mouse seems harder.

i dug the show despite it's flaws. i also don't mind that it deviates from the source material. i mean, i've already read the comic, why do i want to experience it all over again? just because it's in a different format? eh. i'm all for alterations/deviations of source material, especially, as in this case, the source was no real literary treat. i mean, i dug the comic, but let's not pretend it's Faulkner or anything.

the show also hits my Banshee, grindhouse quota. it's no great show but i really liked the gonzo action and violence. hoping they'll ramp up the nudity but since it's on AMC, i doubt it.

i'm interested. whats the show called?

They're doing Salvation early on, so Jesse's ''gonna be the best preacher ever'' will be most certainly about him saving Annville from Odin. It just so happens that Odin and Arseface live in the same town as Jesse in the amc adaptation.

So you want everything that was in the comics to copied straight to the screen? Thats pretty stupid

The point was to show that strength does not mean skill. Remember that Cassidy only lands ONE punch on Jesse, and that's enough to cripple him.

Just watching a Q&A from March. Apparently the whole season is in the first town? Even tho they where all but 3 issues from the comic in it? Huh

>The point was to show that strength does not mean skill.

Hence "I get what it was trying to do".

I'll be interested to see where it goes, but the huuuuuuge amount of deviation from the source plotlines doesn't inspire me with a huge deal of confidence.

6/10 opener

Odin and Arseface are in said town too somehow.

>So you want everything that was in the comics
There's a huge spectrum between ''everything'' and ''barely anything'' you know. Would it be asking too much if people wanted the adaptation to actually follow the plot of the comic and not just mish mash elements here and there?