Will the upcoming Wheel of time series be better than Game of thrones?

Will the upcoming Wheel of time series be better than Game of thrones?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time#Books_in_the_series
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_CW
wot.wikia.com/wiki/Category:People
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's setting the bar quite low
But Wheel of Time is shit to begin with so I don't know

There is literally no chance of it being better. The ingredients aren't there - people are raging so much about /got/ because of missed opportunities, but you have to create those opportunities to miss them and Jordan never did that.

Jordan can't write characters for shit, everyone is two-dimensional and the series is basically DBZ - 90% filler and then an epikku combattu at the end. If anything a TV adaptation could improve things

>Is going to cheaper
>But is more of a fantasy series, and needs more digital effects
>Eventually suffers from the same as GoT suffers from right now, which is 1000 different characters and not enough time to focus on any of them.
But at least it has an ending.

Do we need a thread about this hypothetical show every single night?

>fantasy world where men with power are corrupted crazy fuckwits who have to be tamed and "castrated" by women
>women are the only ones allowed to swing magic but they sometimes keep brainwashed male fighters as pets to tank small combat situations
>main characters constantly emasculated by Nynaeve and Moiraine

I absolutely CANNOT wait for the shitstorm on Sup Forums

>stop posting about Television & Film, why don't you contribute by spamming memes and daily pastas?

>being this much a sperg
>tugs braid

>high fantasy
>not Tolkien

Yeah no it's going to be shit.

Dumb frogposter

This show is gonna suck. Three of the books in this series could be cut out, and you would never even notice.

Of course it's going to suck, doesn't make you less of a retarded memester

>hating memes
You need to go.

Are there at least some great moments?

of course there are but scattered in 12 fuckhuge books, it's the monkeys writing Shakespeare principle

It will be worse like the Shannara show

wheel of time more like fucking deltora quest

Fuck Wheel of Time, do Earthsea.

>It's a Caemlyn falls to the shadow because Mat didn't read a letter for 6 books episode.

Patrician taste. You're the only other person I know to have read these.

yes, a few diamonds in huge piles of shit that are the books, and those few diamonds are what the fandom cling on for dear life to.

I just hope the trollocs don't look too fake.

great moments? too many fäm

>Strike on Shayol Ghul
>Hundred Companions go mad and Break the World
>Telamon butchers his family, does suicide by drawing too much One Power, creates world tallest mountain as his graves and splinters the earth
>The Breaking of the World
>First Trolloc attack on Eamons Field
>Shador Logoth
>Green Man, Aginor, Belthamel, Battle of Tarwins Gap

then it slows a bit down, but doesn't get boring until book 7-10
b2, Great Hunt, Battle of Falme, charge of Children of the Light, damane's in battle, Duel in the Sky
b3; fleeing Grey Hounds, figuring Sammael rules Illian, encountering Aiel for first time, Storming the Stone of Tear, Fights versus Bel'al, Killing of Ishamael, book introduces Balefire
b4; Rand learning more about One Power, Shadow attack Tear, Aiel Waste, Rhuidean prophecies, Fights for Two Rivers, Asmodean + Lanfear fights... proclaimed as "He Who Comes With The Dawn", meanwhile Nynaeve versus Moghedien
b5; Second Aiel War begins, War in Cairhien, formation of Band of the Red Hand, Battle of Cairhien, Shaidos keep attacking Westlands, Battle for Caemlyn, fight versus Rahvin, death and undeath, Moiraine vs Lanfear
b6; White Tower civil war, founding of Black Tower, Kidnapping the Dragon, BATTLE OF DUMAIS WELLS, Bend the Knee or Die (1000 pages)
b7; Rand vs Sammael, Rebel Aes Sedai start moving against Tar Valon, searching for Bowl of Winds? Ebou Dar stuff, Mat vs Ghoulam?
b8; Dragon vs Seanchan
b9; Cleansing of Saidin
b10; everyone discusses Cleansing of Saidin
b11; Semirrhage appears, Aes Sedai politics, Rand depressed, Shaidos messing in south, Last Ride of Malkier begins
b12; Invasion of Borderlands begins? Rand on Dragonmount, Balefiring entire Castle? Mat vs Seanchan? Fights vs Shaidos?
b13; fullscale invasion of borderlands, nations start falling, trollocs pour south, Tower of Midnight, Half of the Light in the World
b14... 1000 pages of final battle between good and evil..

hitting char limit here fäm

>autism

We have literally no idea what the hell you're referring to, bro. Zbimzbumz did the Heggay with the Mirifrax on the Jubjub and WASN'T THAT AWESOME?!?!

Like, sell it better. Specify. Describe.

upvoted

autism fantasy names I can look past. but looking past them, your post is empty

GoT can work on TV because a lot of it is just political intrigue and low fantasy stuff. They can save the budget for the few instances when monsters and magic actually show up. If they tried to do WoT like that it'd just look cheap as shit.

>1000 pages of final battle between good and evil
are you exaggerating or is there literally a fight that goes on that long?

read the books, I cannot remember everything about 14 large books...
let's say there is lot of stuff spread out through the books, even if b10 is lost cause, and 7-11 are bit worse than the others when it comes to moving the plot.

>tldr; a sheepherder from a random boring village begins quest to save the world from Shai'tan

there are quite many battles between people using physical weapons, and between channelers of magic and they kill each other quite lot.
each book has many moments of awesome, and less than awesome stuff, it is very big series

also sorry for my WoT autism, I usually manage it.

>not wanting to see Nynaeve get tamed by Lan's dick

no need for apologies, I appreciate your input.

certain book chapter in A Memory of Light is 190 pages long.
the 12th book was supposed to be called A Memory of Light, but it had to be split into THREE books because no one could print a book with over 2000 pages.
the final offensive of evil is spread over those three books, and the final big showndown happens in the last one.
basically the fight on the Fields of Merrilor takes about 400-500 pages, Fight on Slopes of Shayl Ghul 100-200 pages.

basically every characters from the 13 previous books who are still alive, come together for the big final fight between good vs evil, there are like half a hundred different POVs.

It's actually a war, not just one single fight. So many battles over a great deal of time, many fought at the same time in different places. It's a continent-spanning war with tons of battles and we actually don't even see most of them.

>basically every characters from the 13 previous books who are still alive, come together for the big final fight between good vs evil, there are like half a hundred different POVs.
that sounds kinda based. as well as a somewhat motivating reason to read the whole series.

is team evil just pure cartoon evil, or do they have some motive beyond "we're bad so we do bad things"? I don't mean meme-tier "you killed my father, prepare to die" necessarily

just so see how big the series is;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time#Books_in_the_series

WoT wipes the floor when it comes to sheer size.
it can be a good thing, there is lot of events, but there is lot of nothing happens stuff...

It SOUNDS good, but then you remember that Memory of Light wasn't actually written by Robert Jordan...

If they could make something as boring as GoT from 5 books work, they sure can do WoT as well.

basically, you have Creator (good god) vs Dark One (Shai'tan), who fight over the world
normal people worship the Creator, or the side of "Light", some people can be fanatics, most are just normal commoners
then there is the Dark One, who is chained outside reality, but through a minor "Bore", managed to spread his evil into the world. his secret followers hope to one day free the Evil into the world.
The champion of Light, is called the Dragon. His purpose is to combat the Dark One, and make sure he does not get free from his prison, so that he cannot destroy the world.

the series handles how the Dragon learns his powers and tries to figure out how to defeat the evil, whilst the followers of the Dark One do their best to kill the Dragon and his friends, so that on the day of Final Fight (Tarmon Gaidon), the Evil may win and take over the world.
The servants of the evil, Darkfriends, hope that the Shai'tan rewards them in the end. Many of them just hope to get glory and riches, others of them hope to become powerful.

some Darkfriends operate on village level and do minor nasty stuff, or report to superiors, who report to their superiors, etc.
the final boss level Darkriends are called the Forsaken, who are powerful magicians/channelers from an ancient era, and are far more powerful than any currently living channeler.
The Forsaken hope that the Dark One gives them power to rule over mankind, if they help Dark One to escape his imprisonment. To do this, they need to defeat the Dragon.
Then you have trollocs (orcs) and their commanders, Myrddraals (Nazgul? but in thousands) who control the evil armies that are sent to kill humans, enslave them and hurt the good guys.

honestly, there is too much to describe all the various evils/baddies of WoT in one post before I hit char limit again...

you can honestly cut 40% of the WoT content and not lose anything important

>*tugs braid furiously whilst drinking tea in a small room whilst describing the ornaments and the details of dresses*

yeah, I hate the women's dresses, but random political ramblings do add, IMO, to the worldbuilding.
people think GoT has lot of scheming, wait until they see Tar Valon's local Aes Sedai politics...
Game of Thrones "loans" from WoT stuff called "Daes Dae'mar" (Game of Houses), and it is said in the books that Daes Dae'mar is merely a copy of Aes Seda politicking.

I'm beginning to see why this was greenlighted and they decided to make a TV show of it.

yet, the mainchar is a male, who faces constant manipulation attempts from women.
having half a dozen women constantly trying to push him to do this or that almost makes him go mad at one point.

and as the plot advances, we get also male channelers to balance the female channelers.
but still, most of the world of WoT is very matriarchal. (which is why it is called fantasy :^) )

>That's setting the bar quite low

Fuck off

>Game of Thrones "loans" from WoT stuff called "Daes Dae'mar"
Both game of thrones and wot borrowed that from history
Also wot politiking is fucking terrible there is no subtlety, no betrayal and any character who might be an interesting enemy is flagged from books away as such.
Take verin; excellent black ajah antag possibilities, forced into it etc etc, and then she just exposition dumps and hands over a list with all the spies on it.

well, some Cairrhien and Tairen nobles betray Rand at various points, then there is the Black Ajah, random Tar Valon politics, random Salidar/rebel Aes Sedai politics...

but you are right, the world is more divided into good vs evil than ASOIAF.

is some "grey", like Children of the Light, Tar Valon, and Seanchan (from Rand POV), but even then they are no truly "evil".

>Betray rand
>Absolutely nothing of any consequence ever really occurs because the main characters powers is literally plot armour

>Children of light
>Grey
No, they're good but misguided, then their leader gets kill and they're bad and led by a darkfriend who rapes people, then that leader gets killed and they're back to being good
>Tar Valon
Everyone who was bad was eventually "revealed" to be black ajah or manipulated by one
>Seanchan
Again, everyone who was explictly evil was manipulated by darkfriends, once they're out of the way they stop doing bad things and come and help

The only fun bit is the future section that implies that everyone gets invaded anyway

He's not lying. GoT is only praised because most other 'fantasy' is even more generic, and the few things that aren't are so weird they wouldn't be adapted for a mainstream audience like this.

well yeah, it is epic fantasy, good vs evil, not some grey noble house feuding like Martins
plot armour is strong, nothing surprising, but various characters still die (Moiraine, Egwene, Gawyn, Birgitte). However the show might be better, if they maybe kill some important chars earlier, and move their plot lines to some others in later seasons. (do they need everyone who is in book aMoL in the show end too?)

But still, there at least is some opposition to Rand, not everyone is full of joy over the prospect of a new Dragon coming. Good people too oppose the Dragon and the Dragonsworn, for good reasons. (Last Aiel War, all previous Dragonsworn wars, male channelers always going mad)

Only time will tell how the Good vs Evil fantasy succeeds in television format.

It is "we're bad so we do bad things." There is one mildly interesting bad guy. The continent everything happens on has prophecies pointing out things the savior of the world has to do. About halfway through the series, a huge contingent from another continent lands on the main continent. They have generally the same prophecies but with one huge difference. The savior of the world needs to kneel to the empress of this other continent.

Robert Jordan also tries to throw in a meager amount of political intrigue and form relationships between different countries but it all falls flat. At the end of the day, the introductory paragraph on its wikipedia page should read "The Wheel of Time is a fantasy series about an obvious good fighting against an obvious bad."

I love the series due to Stockholm Syndrome but I'm really hoping the TV show adds some much needed depth to it all.

anyone with WoT images? I don't have enough prepared for all the shitposting wars to time

WoT was garbage. We can only hope that it isn't faithful to the source material.

>It's a damane episode

It's on CW. What do you think?

There is so much that could go wrong - shit casting (with added diversity for the PC Police), gurrl powerrr scenes ramped up to eleven, addition of even more pointless, meandering plot lines, cutting ANYTHING from Based Matt's chapters... The list could go on forever.

The best case scenario - very unlikely - would be a showrunner who loves the books but loves common sense more. This means cutting a lot of overdrawn, meandering plotlines *cough* Faile kidnapped by the Shaido *cough*, making female characters much less insufferable, removing tertiary characters where it makes sense and so on.

Plus they need to figure out how to show the magic well, otherwise the entire thing falls apart.

No easy thing, that's for sure.

source?

also
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_CW
if wikipedia is to be trusted, we will get maximum dose of girl power and feminism...
as long as they do not butcher the fight scenes, I will survive...

>nearly all of the cunty women are tamed by the power of the dick
>the purpose of literal femnazi faction of magicians are made redundant in the last 1/4 of the story
>a nation that enslaves female magicians as brainwashed weapons

Yeah, nah

Borderlands, white
Central nations, whitish
Southern state, Mediterranean-Latino looks
Seafolk, getting darker
Seanchan, Blacks a lot (royal dynasty is black)
Seanchan Empire basically reaches from northern pole to southern pole, they should have every version of skin tanning represented

as long as they keep Two Rivers, Andor, Cairhien and Borderlands white, and Aiels as tall but not black... they cannot go too wrong with PoC...
Asians come from Shara

they do not need more gurrrlll powerr, the whole fantasy setting reeks of it, Aes Seda, Village Council, female rulers, matriarchal societies, Aiel Wise Ones, the Kin, suldamane and damanes... Amyrlin...
the amount of MALE rulers is quite minimal... Rand? Perrin, some borderlands?, former king of Illian, Children of Light?
Heck, aren't there even more female Forsaken than male ones?

the only non-feminist thing will be that Dragon Reborn is the strongest channeler and a male, which still might upset some feminists.

I haven't read the books, but from what I've been hearing there are large portions of filler where the characters are wandering around doing jack shit so hopefully they can cut all that out

bretty gud

also, will there be an outrage because the most devilish, sadistic and brutal Forsaken, Semirrhage, is black?

edgy

>from what I've been hearing there are large portions of filler where the characters are wandering around doing jack shit

So it's just like Game of Thrones.

I wonder if they'll have the brains and the balls to revise Sanderson's books and research Jordan's notes instead.

I refuse to believe that Androl and Hinderstrap were Jordan's creations - they are glaringly against the tone of the previous books.

The most powerful ruler in the entire series is also black so it evens out

Best underrated character that doesn't need a whole lot of character development.

Androl is a minor char from the last book, who gives a fuck
IF the show ever gets as far as aMoL, they can do whatever the fuck they want with Androl
the char exists because Brandon wanted to have a chance to write about the magic/One Power, he loves that. It was good, but didn't really affect the book a lot.

yeah, but seen only first in book 8-9?
there will be outrage because they dare to start from a common bland Medieval looking white village where they have English sounding names.

Gareths dick calming Siuan down finally after all those books was one of the better scenes in the books when it came to relationship drama

worth suffering through book 10

also he is like the only char with balls enough to argue with Egwene, who has no clue about military stuff yet attempts to micromanage the army and command it, even though he has one of the best general who could do much better

A battle so metal that the winners get PTSD from how gruesome it was and end up going insane.

Probably not, it'll probably be TV-14 trash like Shannara.

Malazan series following the Bridgeburners POV would be better than either by a long shot.

But there are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time.

Androl was Jordans creation that was introduced before TGS

>Actually thinks Wheel of Time isn't a male power fantasy
>Ignores how most of the female villains are basically sexually attractive women who all end up getting their comeuppance, usually involving slavery
>Ignores that even the "Good" women (who are written in horribly unsympathetic POV chapters which make them ridiculously annoying to read) get humbled by the men constantly in the books.

I'm male and support trolling extreme feminists, and even I can see how fucking sexist Robert Jordan was against women. Grow eyes.

Then again, it'd be nice to actually see a show unafraid to have some villainesses with tits in it.

People like Game of Thrones because of the politics. Wheel of Time is just autistic DnD magic fantasy homebrew so no it won't be as popular, fall off to oblivion and abandoned after 1 season

>People like Game of Thrones because of the politics

does it cut out all the sex, rape and violence because "muh feminism" if so then no it cant beat got season 1-2-3

the anime is decent desu

>it's a Mat gets raped until he likes it episode

Yes, the politics, and Tyrion's quips and the 'controversial' plot twists which the Wheel of Time lack

Who will be cast for the main roles?

Say what you will about WoT being a high fantasy classic "good vs evil" story, at least Rand is a nice deconstruction of the chosen one... man, that guy goes through some shit. Honorary mentions to Mat as well

It's not lacking anything. Maybe the plot twists are just too subtle and fast paced for you to comprehend. Every scene with the "Grey Fox" is like that.

>man, that guy goes through some shit

Yeah, I'd go fucking mad too if I had three women hounding after me.

To be honest, Elayne is a spoiled brat. Min I would tap with the force of a 1000 suns though. But totally not worth the non stop shit he has to endure, especially due to his so called allies

I'd have said fuck off to all of them, including Lanfear.

better yet, how many actors will they have to find to fill 1000-2000 different named character roles?

wot.wikia.com/wiki/Category:People

>including Lanfear
Because that worked wonders for Rand

It's not like she actually liked him or loved him to begin with. She was only ever after power and wanted to keep Rand under her thumb.

Yes but that doesn't mean the normies who are what made GoT successful are going to have the attention span or the IQ to get those 'subtle' twists

Was she a ladder climbing sociopath only interested in power? Certainly. Would I tell one of the most powerful mages of all time to fuck of,without having a proper education myself/plan/backup. Unlikely

>tfw there are still show watchers that think Jon is Neds kid

>implying Ned isn't Jon's kid and Jon isn't Bran's kid

>that pic
>A scene like that never happened
>mfw

Season 1 was legit great television in all aspects

is there any Aes Sedai who does not tamed by a man?

>Nynaeve calms down thanks to Lan
>Siuan calms down thanks to Bryne
>Moiraine falls for Thom

In a world of stronk womyn matriarchy, strong males keep taming girls left and right?

>Borderlands, white

But that'd be wrong. The Saldaeans are described as Mongolians, and the Domani are described as "copper skinned" they're more like pre-islam Arabs.

Tear is like Spain with elements of Indochina (Bamboo and the hats that peasants wear), Altara is like Italy.

The Aiel are also distinctly white, tanned, but with white colorings, light eyes and red and blonde hair mostly.

Keille Shaogi is my waifu.

>it's a Nynaeve saves everyone for the 10'th time episode

okay, Jordan really went weird with skin colours
using amount of sunshine cannot then be used to explain variations of skin colour, unless the map is rotated in a way which puts Doman somewhat more south...
I never noticed Faile looking "Mongolian"?
sure, the Borderland traditions might involve cavalry warfare and strong winters, but I assumed they were white tanned.

>"Saldaeans have bold, prominent noses and slightly upturned, almond-shaped eyes. While as ferocious in battle as any of the Border nations, their equestrian skills are undoubtedly superior; no other nation in Randland can match Saldaea for her famed and effective use of light cavalry. Saldaean soldiers often carry serpentine swords. Saldaean men usually have long mustaches. "