Jazz expert here, this is the best jazz record of all time

Jazz expert here, this is the best jazz record of all time.

Seconded

Meh, I always found his playing boring. Cecil Taylor is my favourite.

water is wet

It's just noise.

>jazz expert
are you sure because thats what someone who just got into jazz and whose listened to the 5 jazz albums total would say.

nice try

THIS

That's not A Love Supreme

Its amazing not gonna lie. I guess i prefer Spiritual Unity or Ascension a little bit tho

Then how do you explain...

THIS?

>I listen to SO much jazz lmao
It's pretty great, but I gotta go with Karma.

OP is a phony. I'm a true jazz expert and Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass made the best jazz record of all time.

Good lord I never really reflected on the range of Herbie's work but good lord he did everything.

>A Love Supreme is an obvious choice therefore it's bad

My personal favourite Coltrane is Live in Seattle but that's a stupid choice for best album of all time

It's a bad choice because his hard bop works are superior.

I have opened your eyes to the wonders of Herbie.

You are in for a wild ride.

Want a Herbie spotify playlist?

Coltrane and Ole are great albums, but ALS is just so historic and influential that it's up there with the best

I will take a listen, any more recs?

what kind of recs?

gimme your top 5 jazz albums

super jazz expert here, this is the best jazz record of all time

I think you've got it confused with this

Peter Brötzmann, Machine Gun
Don Cherry, "Mu" First Part
Anthony Davis, Lady of the Mirrors
The Jazz Composer's Orchestra, self-titled
Charles Mingus, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

memeing aside this is one of my favorite albums of all time

I listen to it all the time

cheers user i'll buy you a drink sometime

made me kek

thank you my friend

Jazz expert here. If this isn't at the top of your jazz list, WELL THEN YOU DON'T HAVE A JAZZ LIST M O T H A F U C K A

finally someone on Sup Forums with taste and historical awareness of jazz

shame you actually like Karma

kekd again!

you're both right

god yes give it to me

>I listen to SO much jazz lmao
Thinking A Love Supreme is the best jazz album of all time isn't really much of an indication of how much jazz one listens to. The reason so many newcomers get recommended it is because so many jazz fans, academic scholars, critics and players hold it in very high regard.
Also, if you can't understand why it's held in such esteem (even if it doesn't wind up being your favourite), you should seriously consider sitting down and listening to it again with your full attention.

>unconventional opinions indicate better taste and historical awareness

Hipster's Razor strikes again!

nah, better taste and historical awareness would lead someone to investigate Coltrane's late 50s early 60s playing, which is some of the farthest out and most expressive music ever recorded, while a shallow understanding of jazz would attract one to his free stuff, which is inferior to contemporary free jazz.

(ironically, the stuff you're dismissing is much more accessible, the free stuff is what hipsters prefer)

another kek

I'm not dismissing it. I love his hard bop stuff, and the first album of his I ever listened to what his very first on Prestige. Out of this World is an incredible piece. I just think when we're talking about the best album of anything, quality isn't a good metric (otherwise we'd have thousands of albums tied for no 1). Influence and importance is the only way of getting a ranking

i got head while listening to Mu once
don cherry is my boy and ed blackwell is so underrated