Best thing Cronenberg's done since the 80's? Also best thing john cusack and julianne moore have ever done

Best thing Cronenberg's done since the 80's? Also best thing john cusack and julianne moore have ever done

I thought it was fucking horrible. I've seen everything he's done and can appreciate some of his newer, even less critically acclaimed stuff, but jesus christ I hated everything about this.

horrible in what way? The acting was great.

Map to the Stars is great except for that terrible fire CG.

I couldn't force myself to give a shit about anyone or anything that was going on. The acting was ok I guess, I didn't really pay attention to it.

Even if you didn't like History of Violence or Eastern Promises, no one can deny Viggo was cool as fuck in them.

>watch movie
>"didn't really pay attention to it"
>"I thought it was fucking horrible"

probably one of the most misunderstood masterpieces of recent memory

I like almost all his stuff except m butterfly, dangerous method and cosmopolis, and they aren't terrible, just not what I want out of a cronenberg flick. Maps to the stars was much more cronenbergy

I didn't say I didn't pay attention to it. I said I didn't pay attention to the quality of acting enough to criticize it you fucking dickhead.

I think the reason why I didn't like Maps to the Stars was because everyone in it was repulsive; and those who were not disgusting (Mia) were accused of being horrible. And for the same reason I think it was a pretty good story. I think if the goal was to depict how broken people of privilege can be it was highly successful. And I don't think they needed to be wealthy and famous to get that point across - they could have just as easily been normal people with regular lives and been pure scumbags too.

I was surprised at how slimy I felt while watching the film. And I think that is more praise than an expression of how I feel about the movie.

This. It's on another level. I watched it expecting something average after the shite reviews, but it has stuck with me. What, 2 years on? I still think about it quite a bit.

It was kind of like a satire, while simultaneously blending cerebral horror and thriller-like conventions.

>I didn't say I didn't pay attention
>I said I didn't pay attention

Is this really what Hollywood is like?

Julianne Moore was in Safe.

Flawed works like Maps to the Stars are good, but they're still flawed. Cosmopolis is way better. Better acting, better script, better execution. That said, Eastern Promises is gotyay even including his old stuff.

it made me wonder how much of it is based on cronenbergs experiences with actors, whether he chose actors because many actors are like julianne moore's character

How was it misunderstood?

I'm 16: The post

That's an interesting thought. Viggo Mortensen, though not being in the movie, is the complete opposite of the characters depicted in Maps to the Stars. Robert Pattinson sounds like someone who isn't afraid to call things he's worked on complete drivel (Twilight).

It wouldn't surprise me if all the actors in the movie are good people and channeled all their dislike of Hollywood with its lack of humanity at Croenberg's direction.

It's not terribly surprising that the people who devote their lives to reviewing Hollywood are also as useless as the shitty people in Hollywood. I haven't read any bad reviews of the movie but I wouldn't be surprised if, like you say, most of them don't fucking get it.

>It's not terribly surprising that the people who devote their lives to reviewing Hollywood are also as useless as the shitty people in Hollywood. I haven't read any bad reviews of the movie but I wouldn't be surprised if, like you say, most of them don't fucking get it.

There was this dark cloud brewing above everyone in the film. I just loved everything about the film. When someone asks what my favourites are, i generally say The Counselor, Spring Breakers and Maps, because they're constantly at the back of my mind and in their weird way, flawed masterpieces.

I wouldn't give a critic the steam off my piss these days. I have been so disgusted at the identity and social politics infecting the industry, as well as the critics acting as 'gatekeepers'.

So many films are dogpiled. If I listened to critics, I would never have seen BvS, OGF, Lost River and so on.

My point about the dark cloud was that there was this palpable tension throughout the film, while it seemed relatively flatlined the whole time. Impeccable direction imo.

are you even reading the thread? most of it is people complaining about things that were clearly intentional. is the only person who clearly got it. maybe not a masterpiece but damn close

literally im 19 and just got into film: the post

stick to more overt examples like mulholland drive or sunset boulevard, or maybe something more optimistic like magnolia

im sorry that cronenbergs more brutal take and all its stylistic subtleties isnt for you. you might "get it", but a lot of people don't seem to grasp the purpose of certain elements; the kid complaining about the terrible fire cgi makes me want to put my head through a desk

Glad it's getting more recognition. It was violently underrated on release, and it's a top 5 Cronenberg.
Many fans of him though, seem to be 'le horror buffs' that dropped the guy when he stopped that period of his work.

I like the new stuff but he was at the top of his game with the Brood and Videodrome.

Well it's not only the fact that they are wealthy, it's the fact that they work in an environment where almost everybody is fake or acts fake, but also it's a story about parenthood and how fucked up and crazy this kid is, but putting it behind layers of denial like all that family does.
John Cusak is fucking scary because he has mastered his crazyness so much that he thinks he can help others, but when he feels his anger coming in, he looks at people like they are fucking aliens that need to be treated.
Those people have lost their mind or on the verge of losing it.
When the mother sets herself on fire, she's really trying to escape this madness.
And Cusack feels so many emotions after that, that he just can't do anything else than just lying there and trying to process it like a demented computer.

It's also about shut the fuck up faggot.

rad

literally pic related: the movie

>the terrible fire cgi makes me want to put my head through a desk
Please do.

Sincerely, an user that gets that the CGI is intentionally bad

No surprise that you didn't get it...

No, if this is some reference I didn't get it. My mistake I suppose, but I'm not sure.

You got to remember where you are.

speaking of top 5 Cronenberg?

the fly
dead ringers
videodrome
maps to the stars
naked lunch

I get it. You're just a faggot. You offer no real insight on this film or the works of Cronenberg. You just think you're special because you get it. Nobody wants you. You don't belong, not here, and not within circles that can actually discuss film in any meaningful way.

I can't make a top 5, man. Cronenberg is my favorite director.
Eastern promises is really the only one that i like a little less than the others. Something in the story just doesn't speak to me, it seems like he just passed next to his subject. It's a really good movie, don't misunderstand me. But for me, it doesn't really feel like a Cronenberg movie.

10/10

Oh look here, just an other guy doing the faggot meme. You must be so clever, calling me a faggot in a Cronenberg thread.

The Brood
Videodrome
Cosmopolis
The Fly
Crash

Wow, you're a bisexual faggot.

I'm mad about hollywood even though i'm a consistently funded arthouse director who gets praise for whatever I do The Movie. Full of anger and contempt with no real message, I even watched it twice because I thought I missed something but it's just pure unhindered anger in movie form.

Films don't need to have a message. And it seems that the inherent absurdist humour of the whole thing was too subtle for your sensibilities.

scary close to mine and you've got my lowercase style too lol

videodrome
maps to the stars
eastern promises
dead ringers
naked lunch

I didn't say they have to, but i don't personally like films that are full of anger without a message

More like lack of style. Only the non-cool kids write that way

A cock fucking your mouth seems too subtle for your sensibilities.

not everything needs to be stylized for no reason mr inarritu

I didn't identify all this said anger in the film.

Adorable

It seems the inherent absurdist humor of my post went over your head and then came back to fuck you in the ass.

Well, what can I answer? There's no reason to actually bother. You're a pleb and an autist. Thanks for the capeshit crowd, gook

really? old actress mother starts celebrating the death of a child because it gets her a part and you don't see a touch of cynicism in that?

How is she doing as an actress? Was her performance an improvement over her earlier roles?

I'm a fan of Cronenberg. Didn't I make that clear? You just really suck and you're a homosexual butt pirate.

Cynicism =/= equal

The great thing about the film is that Cronenberg doesn't maintain contempt for the characters. They're all flawed, shitty people, but we see that they're like wounded birds. Cusack and Moore aside.

I see cynicism, and that's quite a distance from a angry filmmaker. And there, as is many other parts, I see the successful dark comedy that Cronenberg and the screenplay make use of.

fuck. I mean anger, not equal.

>they're like wounded birds
Who writes like this? Homosexuals.

Here's your reply.

It's not funny though, at all. She just dies in the end, so it's not like we actually learn anything about her. It's fine if you see fondness in it, or humour, I can see it being interpreted that way, but to all i can see is a film about how shitty hollywood is and all it ends up saying is that, unlike a lot of his other films which are more humorous.

No, no, user. That was actually pretty gay. It was the birds part. If you said "wounded animals" or something it would've been considerably less faggy.

There is an inherent absurdist humor to the metaphorical wounded birds which populate Cronenberg's cinematic canvas. If I had to pick a top five, by God I couldn't. He is my favorite of favorites, and I refuse to equate cynicism with equality.

This. The characters were obnoxious and whiny and needy, every one of them aside from maybe the driver. It's hard to care about a story that's made up of only irredeemably disgusting characters. And maybe that was the point, that most people in Hollywood are just repulsive people, and maybe if you didn't already know that it would be a riveting exposé, but really it's just fucked up morons acting like fucked up morons and we're supposed to give a shit because they're famous; if I wanted that I'd read a celebrity gossip column, not watch a film.

The problem is the people who would want to watch it mostly know what it's trying to say and the people who could be affected by what it's trying to say have no interest in watching it. So it's just a bunch of people who you have no reason to care about ruining themselves and each other because they're cunts. A swing and a miss.

Cosmopolis was better.

Cosmopolis would indeed be even better than MTTS, but that last session of the film with Giamatti really weakens the whole package, and makes it for me a 7/10.
The main thing is: Cronenberg is on full master-mode in his career right now.

I can tolerate an unpleasantly cynical film, but what made me give up on Maps to the Stars was just how sloppy it was in terms of filmmaking, especially compared to Cosmopolis, which was almost surgical in execution. Maybe there was a point to that, but for me it made a whole lot less watchable.

>last session
You write like a homosexual.

Do you feel it's a light or strong 7? Up your ass, that is. Really though, great insight. That last session truly does deflate the package.

I advise to not reply to the desperate shitposter

Holy fuck you're a massive faggot.

Hard to tell which one you're referring to.

This is some of the saddest shit I've ever seen on here.

Not all of those posts are by the same person, you know? People think you're a faggot.

Well, it was a decent thread before captain autismo came into the scene

Neutral party here. First and only post in the thread is this one You're both autistic faggots. Stop posturing on an Anonymous imageboard and rethink your lives.

It was never a good thread.

How the fuck can people love this movie? I don't understand the adoration some people claim to have for it. I think it's possibly the worst movie Cronenberg has made and that includes that movie he made about car racing. Everything about its satire just felt so stale and safe and sterilized. It wasn't nearly trashy or dangerous enough to be an interesting commentary on anything. It seemed like a toned down version of The Canyons which is actually a great film and should be the one that is seen as underrated, not this total misfire. And this is from someone who thinks Cosmopolis is one of the best post-2000 Cronenberg movies so don't give me that "you just like the body horror" bullshit.

It's garbage and pretending otherwise without any valid reasons doesn't make you appear patrician.

Very neutral. My comment was my first post on the thread, a conclusion from entering and reading it. Why do people think when those things happen it's just two guys? Usually, it's one shitposter and everybody confronting, trying to reason him.

It's not 'garbage', and there's no pretending in recognizing its quality as one of the best films in Cronenberg's career. Anyone that really is familiar with him, which you claim to be, would be able to see that.

Please explain to me what is so great about it. I am genuinely curious as to the thoughts the movie's admirers have on it. I've only seen it the once and I went in with huge expectations so it's possible the film was tainted by that but I don't really think so. Please tell me what you love so much about it so that I might have a different lens to view it through when I check it out again which I have been considering recently.

Don't expect much from that guy. He's the same person who wrote this:
Pretty much retarded.

>Brood
>Good

Post-Videodrome Cronenberg shits on Pre-Videodrome Cronenberg

Of the pre-Videodrome Cronenberg Shivers is his best

>The "please explain" guy
Low class bait.

Do rewatch it, for sure. I've had at least three experiences with Cronenberg films when I, on the rewatch, was able to have a way better grasp of his intentions and the quality of his filmmaking.

Was this before or after you came?

I agree, sometimes, you're just not ready to interpret a film. Has to take time.
This one gets better everytime i rewatch it. Not the only Cronenberg in that case though.

I want to fuck ms. Moore

Samefag

No.

Retard, go shitpost elsewhere

I would love Cronenberg to do a Crash 2.0 pretty much the same, but with different actors. Julianne Moore could be great in the role of Rosana Arquette.

Add these:

Why can't we have a comfy Cronenberg thread...like The Thing threads?

Maybe this time Elia Koteas can fuck you.

Because you're a faggot who sucks at everything.

You have to hope that some autists won't start trying to derail The Thing or Alien threads. That's their '''fun''', to shitpost and annoy everyone. That's the kind of vermin welcomed here with the latest blockbusters and GOT

Dude, your faggy writing style is too distinct. It's obvious you're samefagging.

None of the posters is particularly special but let's dance