Who was better and why?

Who was better and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6M4_Ommfvv0
youtube.com/watch?v=MbaC1fkJRTg
youtu.be/fQrCP4Pw_I4?t=205
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

equally good, equally vapid at times. both had sublime moments but sadly long periods of wankery.

eddie is more technical
randy have more feeling and melody so i'd go with him

Rhodes was way better. However Yngwie > Rhodes

This
Always
But I will say Eddie influenced ten times as many people
Like asking who was better. Mercury or cobain
Obvious answer is obvious
Unfortunately, the stupid beta is more influential

Rhodes! Such an effortless shredder for being 24, and I think his solos have MUCH more personality and feeling than Eddie's.

For as good as Yngwie is, I can't think of one song of his that really sticks in my head. It's like listening to someone warm up all the time.

Yeah I'll agree there Eddie has way more poularity and I'm sure has influenced far more players, but Rhodes was the better player.

Both great in studio, both sloppy as fuck in concert. Their unaccompanied solos were... not great.
Compare with Jimi's improv at Woodstock.

I saw Rhodes twice, and I'll disagree.

Personally I love his music. Deciples of hell, seventh sign, attack, world my sword, braveheart, all some of my favorites. The thing is though that people only know him for his technicality so his great songs like the ones mentioned tend to go unknown.

Yngwie is a shit musician. Yes, he can play fast, but it all sounds mechanical and soulless. If your only gimmick is playing fast, then you'd better go all in like Shawn Lane or not at all.

Pat Metheny ftw.

Rhodes was much better than eddie

Don't see how you can listen to far beyond the sun and call it souless, probably some of the most emotion I've ever heard construed in an instrumental

I like both but I like Randy more. Eddie has some great songs but he's more of a look "how many notes I can't play in such a short time!" while Rhoads focused more on songwriting and melody.

Checked but w some idiot shit
Far beyond the sun? Demon driver? Adagio? Baroque and roll? Trilogy suite no 5( personal fave) Jesus. Even his echo etude he does in one of his instructionals is amazing. YouTube all of it. If you wanna see the greateat neo classical shredder

As a child I worshipped him. And then I grew up and realized he was like a 3 trick pony. But I don't give a fuck. He plays so full of passion and his scales are just sonically perfect to me. I love that baroque era style shit though. Yngwie will always be my favorite ever.

Not arguing you there. Eddies peak was eruption or hot for teacher.
Where as Randall has too many to name. Some that stick out to me are dee and Mr Crowley. I wish I coulda been in one of his guitar classes before ozzy collected him. Legend wasted because ozzy was fucked up. Thanks ozzy you fucking useless twonk

By technical skill, I'll agree.

Yngwie's issue lies in that most of his non-instrumental songs follow the same formula.

Evh. Because he was alive long enough to do more. RR would have been better if he lived
/thread

This. I always wondered how Eddie would of fared if he was'nt in a party band like Van Halen. I heard his side project with Brian May and respect that much more!

I think you may be tainted by the rosy vision of nostalgia. That shit is bland and without any dynamic at all.

Ozzy helped us discover Rhodes. Have you heard Randy's stuff with Quiet Riot? Can't say I would of noticed it.

Listen to Adagio. And then go fuck yourself. I don't like satch. I feel the same way about him. He's a great musician. Respect his talent and work. Saw him, yngwie and vai in 03. But I just can't like his shit. Maybe you just don't like yngwie.

Ozzy gave him complete freedom do to whatever he wants. Had Ozzy never heard Randy's playing, Randy would still be teacher in Los Angeles and gone through many failed rock bands. Quiet Riot wasn't going anywhere.

I'd say overall Eddie has to be better, simply for his contribution to music being so much more significant than Randy. Randy's songs were well written and awesome, but I think Eddies longer-spanning career and the huge amount of guitarists (myself included) that he influenced gives him the edge. It's pretty hard to say any one person is "better" tho, especially in guitar

*Can

Just like Becker and nuno and all those dickholes in shit bands, we would've found em.
For example, do any of you know who Emmett Ray was? Obscurity reigns supreme in the guitar universe.
Mark knopfler? He deserved to be in a way better band than what they ended up accomplishing. Even Lindsey Buckingham, I believe, deserves to be in a better band

What I've learned from having debated like this a million times is that most people who call yngwies music soulless/just fast notes usually end up being more fans of slower pentatonic based stuff rather than classical based harmonic minor stuff. Gonna go ahead and guess you are a fan of vai?

Randy by a long way as he could actually play....Eddie is just a show pony

Eddie has definitely influenced more guitarist as Rhodes prime work was limited to two albums. It hurts to think about the stuff Rhodes could of done after he left Ozzy.

Don't really like Satch either, he's a little too cookie cutter bluesy for me. Vai is pretty OK though. Adagio is just a showcasing of harmonic minor noodling over keyboard soundscapes. You'd better check out Bright Size Life by Pat and then sincerely go hang yourself.

Nah, not really. If I would go for a speedy player I listen to Shawn Lane, Kiko Loureiro or someone with a little wider understanding of styles and scales than Yngwie.

Yeah, but even with talent the chance of being discovered and sold arn't that great. Ozzy was Rhodes best chance in what...82?

Shawn Lane... Yes.

Just gonna leave this here..

Jimmy Page

Those two fags are just guitarists. Midfle school kids can do what they did.

both were good for their time but are now overrated.

I like yngwie because he is my go to source when I want to hear some harmonic minor, for variety I usually listen to some symphony X (older albums when Michael Romeo still got to play interesting stuff) or some Luca Turilli

>Can play a million 64th notes a second
>Can't play a piece of music anyone in the world would actually want to listen to.

These dorks are all a bunch of fucking tools.

Romeo is one of my favs actually. He's got a much better feel for the neoclassical style than Yngwie, as he writes a lot of choral/multilayered shit and knows his chops to boot.

Jimmy page was easily the worst I've ever heard. Cc from poison was better
Now as a songwriter, page was amazing. He sucked dick at solos but he could write a mean acoustic riff.

Absolutely agreed

Firing up YouTube and wrapping a noose as we sleak

Edgy talentless music for closet homosexuals. Saged this thread

True, this is all just freakshow shit. Ooh look how fast he can can peel off those hammer-ons

Yay for useless skills.

I'll agree with you there, Romeo is a great musician and far better than yngwie. Symphony X was actually the Ford concert I ever went to back when they were on your for The Odyssey. Met him after the show and when he found out it was my first show he gave me a free shirt and CD and they all signed it, super nice guy.

Eddie Van Halen vs Randy Rhodes!?

WTF IS THIS 1982?

HOW MANY OF THESE MILLENNIAL METROSEXUALS WHO ROUTINELY LISTEN TO WHINNY EFFEMINATE VOCALIZED MUSIC DO YOU THINK EVEN KNOW WHO THESE TWO ARE!?

Nice, haven't seen them live yet myself. Whatcha think of their latest?

Whos your better influence, synfag

Randy Rhodes solos were better, more melodic and not a bunch of noise, but Van Halen song writing was really good

Wasn't too much a fan of it myself honestly. Not to sound cliche, but it seems they're leaning a bit more towards mainstream metal now. I should give it another chance and listen to it again though, maybe it'll grow on me.

Have you faggots ever heard of modern music. Fag Allen is dead as fuck. Today non-gay men listen to man music like Five Finger Death Punch when among men and smooth prog-pop like Imagine Dragon when spending time with bae.

The only people i know who ever liked randy rhodes smoked and drove trans-ams and had crappy mullets and crappier clothes and were always mopey and angry about their miserable lives.

EVH appealed to 7th-10th grade suburban white boys who wanted to get wild an crazayyy.

I don't know which sucked bigger dick, but neither appealed to me, as far as dicksuckers go.

Frank Zappa, Jimmy Page, or this guy....

Agree, but I like their new style as well. A bit more balls-to-the-wall, but done with intelligence. The only downside is that there's a lot of filler songs, their only recent album that was 10/10 for me was Paradise Lost.

This is by far the worst music related b8 I have ever seen on this site and I've lurked on Sup Forums

FUCKING OFF FAGGOT.......THIS IS MIDDLE AGE REMINISCING!!

rhodes, but both dont make it into the top 10

Jimmie Hendrix, one of the greatest, admitted that Randy was better than Eddie.

I enjoyed your retro-relative posted pic.

Yeah, paradise lost was a great album. Definitely a change from The Odyssey, and V, but I liked that it was a bit heavier. Iconoclast had some good stuff to, but definitely had a few filler songs.

Fag......Jimmy wrote almost every Zep song

>Jimmie Hendrix, one of the greatest
Setting your guitar on fire =/= playing. The only reason people like him is because he is black

Anyone who plays guitar knows Eddie is on a different level than Randy. Randy was a great player, but to compare him to EVH is a bit unfair. Ed's rythm, tone, chops, ability to write, etc are so far beyond what Randy ever accomplished. If Randy had lived...who knows.

I'm not saying that Jimmi was the best. All I'm saying is that Jimmie was good enough at guitar to realize that Randy was better than Eddie.

I'm a guitarist, and nothing Eddie ever did was really impressive, eruption is nothing more than some beginner two hand tapping. Randy may not have played anything any more technical, but he was the far better writer and made use of scales much better.

What's the joke of this picture?

>"I'm a guitarist, and nothing Eddie ever did was really impressive" - You're not making any sense here. This is like saying I don't like peanut butter now go make me a PB&J bitch.

If i ever had listened to that garbage i would perforate my own ear drums out of protest.

If i ever had to lower myself to the niggerdom necessary to calling a gf "bae", I would stab skewers through my eyeballs into my brain, killing me instantly.

fyi.

>durr too many note too complicated to listen to

Simpleton detected.

While, true, this is... true.

10 points to the man in the funny hat.

You implied that any guitarist would see that Eddie was " on a whole other level" when compared to Rhodes. I was pointing out that I am a guitarist, and have never been impressed by eddie, what's not to get?

I think Slash is better than all guitarists named in this thread.

Randy was good, very good. I agree, he was very good at using scales for soloing. But nothing he recorded comes close to Ed's rythm playing.

Why would someone aspire to play rythm? That's like aspiring to be a rally drivers copilot...

You must be a very good player yourself.

Hitleroonie

Eddie cause without him we wouldn't have the 5150. However, I'd pick none of these as Jason Becker is superior.

Bait detected. I'm out.

Got an endorsement contract from my playing so I'd like to think I'm decent, and you?

There's no joke. That girl who is circled is dead, as she is not looking at the camera. During this time, it was acceptable to take photographs with dead people

>not a photoshop

Not bait, legitimate point

>Why would someone aspire to play rythm? That's like aspiring to be a rally drivers copilot...

Rhythm is what drives the music.

Without rhythm, you are just making noise.

Well it's an unfair comparison because one is dead and the other is well and alive. But to make this fair we could compare their first two albums.

Jump vs Crazy Train
Eruption vs Mr Crowley

Love EVH, but I'd have to go with Randy.

Another thing that should be noted is that they both come from different styles, which, again, makes them incomparable. It's like comparing a jazz guitarist with a blues guitarist.

almost all rock and metal suck anyways so who cares

Comparing album to album (and I'm including the two Quiet Riot albums Randy did), Rhoads was improving a lot faster in the same time period, while EVH was more consistent.

Going off the first 4 Van Halen albums stacked against 2 Quiet Riots and 2 Ozzy, I'd give it to Eddie, but had he not died, Randy could very well have surpassed him.

Jimi was dead before he would have had any idea who Van Halen and Rhoads were.

>That girl who is circled is dead, as she is not looking at the camera.
Sound logic.

>almost all rock and metal suck anyways so who cares

Stop listening to shitty radio bands then.

Eddie is still alive. No evidence that he is not, in fact, immortal.

Therefore, Eddie > Rhodes

Rhodes is kill. Rhodes was weak.

Perhaps you don't know much about cameras. At that time, taking a picture was not instantaneous like it is now. You would have to sit still for several minutes for proper exposure. Notice how clear she comes out, because she wasn't moving, because she's dead.

EVH is better than Rhodes. I love Rhodes, but EVH just did it man.

The way those guys can play, you'd think they might have considered making music.

"Better" is a subjective word. If you look at something objective, such as debut album sales (Blizzard of Oz vs Van Halen I), then EVH takes it.

kek

>"Better" is a subjective word. If you look at something objective, such as debut album sales (Blizzard of Oz vs Van Halen I), then EVH takes it.

>using album sales as a guideline

Songs about love/feelings/overall happy vibe will always outsell songs that deal with "darker" topics, no matter the artist/talent.

I personally feel that Rhoads had a better command of the technical solo, and more interesting songwrting, but Eddie had the flash and the "party vibe" people gravitate towards.

Examples:

>a song about wanting to fuck (Hot For Teacher)
youtube.com/watch?v=6M4_Ommfvv0

vs

>a song about crossing the Sea Of Suffering (S.A.T.O.)
youtube.com/watch?v=MbaC1fkJRTg

kek, they impaled her but jamming a spike up her ass into her skull to keep her standing straight and wired her jaw shit and riveted hands to her arms and

lol

Seems like a sensible conclusion.

kekity jones

Btw, Yngwie doesn't even know his scales: youtu.be/fQrCP4Pw_I4?t=205

Harmonic minor is not a relative key of phrygian...