HBO's Rome

I just finished the first season, this show is absolutely fucking brilliant. As a Roman history geek I love how they don't treat the viewer like an idiot. I noticed it only has two seasons. Is season 2 a moneygrab or do they go through and show Octavian becoming Augustus?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gq0-IX4nro0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also, would happily be the boy apprentice to Titus Pullo who he fucks on the side, as per Roman tradition.

How the fuck you just now watching?!?
Anyway season 2 is no money grab. It was cancelled because it was too expensive to produce. And yes Octavian is mainly the focal point in season 2. And mark Antony and cleopatra.

Anyway one of my all time faves and really wish it had more episodes

Whoops forgot pic

Because I've run out of documentaries to watch, the good ones stopped being made around the time this was made. Also, I was poking around the game of thrones IMDB and found Mance played Caesar so I had to check it out.

Know any other similarly-accurate (in set at least) shows? As for movies I'll shill Amadeus until the day I die, for the amazing story if not the gorgeous and meticulous sets.

I like the part where Atia hears about Octavian and Caesar in the closet while Caesar is having a Julius Seizure, she's like "did you seduce him?" (in her uppity tone)

*awkward silence*

"You sly little fox, good for you, seducing a consul of rome!"

I never realized how much I wanted to have been born a Roman until then

Spartacus series on Netflix is surprisingly historically accurate. Well what they knew about him anyway. I watched all 4 seasons like in a week. It was originally on Starz I think. Can't believe I missed it.

Basically season 2 becomes a shit show because they found out they were being cancelled half way through making the season and so they condensed their plan ranging from 2-3 seasons into 1 season so there are a few very awkward time jumps

I love Spartacus, but you really shouldn't recommend it just because someone enjoys Rome - especially not if they're looking for realism.

This show gave me alot of feels, on how but this scene top it all up
youtube.com/watch?v=Gq0-IX4nro0
It's been an honor sir

>Moneygrab

No, the opposite. They ran out.

Well, I was going to explain how it's a little over the top and much quicker. Still an amazing show and I love both Rome and Spartacus. I literally thought I'd hate it after the first episode. But the characters were fucking amazing. Loved every minute of it.

Vorenus had a hard life

>whore wife and ungrateful daughter

I did try watching Spartacus. It felt too much like it was trying to be 300. I don't care about action sequences. Thags what I like about Rome so much; it only shows meaningful violence on an individual level. I don't give a shit about wide sweeping shots of a battlefield (i mean, unless you want to give me a docudrama about the punic wars so you can see how badly Hannibal fucked up every consul and dictator), I want character. And while Pullo and Lucius Vorenus have legendary "protagonist syndrome" (being supernaturally lucky and being *everywhere* important), at least Caesar freakin acknowledges it and is like "yo, these guys have the gods on their side, they are truly anomalies"

Anyway, is Turn any good?

watch it fag before someone spoils yyou

Why do all you cunts want the go ahead before you experience something for your self

Turn is fantastic, but Sup Forums hates it so it never gets talked about. If you like intrigue in pre-industrial settings, it's definitely worth marathoning. The only beef I have with it is the incredible layer of plot armor on a guy so ridiculously huge a dickbag there's no way nobody wouldn't have shanked him long before S3, much less given him a commission as an officer. Simcoe

Give it a Spartacus a shot past the first few episodes. They actually told the creator to "make it like 300" but after a few of the beginning weird episodes it is actually amazing and if you like characters them this is the show. Honestly the violence is only necessary because he was a gladiator. It is a really good show, but I guess that's just me. Like I said I thought it was like "dude omg 300" but it's so much more. Especially when Marcus Crassus shows up and all that. Great acting all around.

Mark Anthony dies, Cleaopatra dies, Octavian becomes princeps.
Here you have, the entire season spoiled.

>Vorenus had a hard life
wow thats so original from HBO doesnt sound like fucking game of thrones at all.
>everybody suffers but we still move on xDD
stop creating victims and give me less sad entertainment

Forgot to say after they said "make it like 300" he said fuck y'all after he tried and they eventually gave him full creative control. So all that shit gets toned down a little.

Season 2 got a little bit more silly IMO. Season 3 is when it goes off the rails.

Rome is older than Game of Thrones.

Literally history haha. It's like saying the titanic sunk *spoiler alert*

S1 of this show is one of the very few 10/10s in existence.

>b-but Game of Reddit!!

Wrong thread.

Mark Antony's death was really sad. I felt so bad.

Season two is great, its just not as good at one.

You get more based Antony, Verinus goes through some character archs, while Pollo more or less slowly matures. Octavius gets replaced, its kind of weird at first, but w/e.

I wish they'd do a sequel with the same actors but set in Constantinople. Like Pollo accidentally starting the Nike riots, maybe the guy who played Antony would be Justinian.

It was perfect though. Every character was expertly written and acted.

Implying anyone who would actually want to watch this show doesn't know their history already?

Is that Karl fooking Tanner? Because if it is I might have to check it out.

Victims? Vorenus has the *best* life. If he only enjoyed it half as much as Pullo he'd be so happy.

>from a shitty house on the aventine hill, basically the immigrant/ghetto district
>becomes first spear in Julius Caesar' personal legion
>had the opportunity to fuck Cleopatra but he's so conservative he didn't take it
>becomes a senator at the end of the season

So who gives a shit if his family was shitty? Its not a big deal for him to divorce her based on infidelity or just not liking them anymore. Who will stop him? He's probably the most upstanding and respectable character in the series, and ends up a senator. He can do as he likes.

There are so many fantastic stories to be told about the Byzantines. Their court intrigue makes Rome and Game of thrones look like glasnost. My personal favorite is the fate of Emperor Maurice.

>You will never have the kind of friendship that Vorenus and Pullo had

>I love how they don't treat the viewer like an idiot.

except that they do, whenever it means they can stick more cliffnotes roman history in. the show is absurdly lurid and based more on the pop cultural understanding of what Roman society was like than the likely reality, but then that's why you like it, isn't it?

Lol there's always this guy.

>you will never help your drunken friend home
>you will never teach him what a g-spot is
>you will never slay gauls and Egyptians with him
>you will never get to make up with him after bashing his slave's head in on a column
>you will never toss him you extra pilum in the thick of battle
>you will never phalanx next to your mancrush
>you will never give up a night with the queen of egypt, descendant of Alexander the great, and all around nympho-minx so your buddy can impregnate her and literally cuck Caesar
>you will never hold your tongues and silently know that the Pharoah is really your nephew

Why live

Not being a historian doesn't mean treating the viewer like an idiot in terms of not being able to tell what's going on.

nutted but he still suckin

>Julius seizure
Hahahahaha

>mfw I watched this with my parents
>mfw Atia's bitchiness got me hard as marble
>mfw there is boy sex later on

REAL HARDCUNT

That's an interesting play on the scene as well because I'm pretty sure the story goes that Caesar sodomized Octavian, but the show put their own spin on it.

Vorenus looks sort of like Lawrence Olivier

This and Deadwood got buttfucked so hard by HBO. This is a brilliant series that undeservingly got canceled.

Shame that silly jewish cult came and ruined it all by brainwashing the plebs.
Still the true gods always pull through, hidden in plain sight.

Spartacus skyrockets in quality after the first few episodes. It transitions from a 300 rip-off to being a weird high school drama about the new kid trying to incite a massacre against the principal and his family.

They lost the plot about halfway through season 2, what should have been a spectacular finish fizzles out. Still good though.

Mary Beard's current one on BBC isn't totally shit.

Your thinking of Spartacus

I think they planned the show to have 5 seasons, it would end with the rise of Jesus Christ... But they knew it will be cancelled after the 2nd one, so the ending feels a bit cramped

You can make an analogy to anything to make it sound dumber than it actually is.

i like that bitch

I found her insufferable. The one time anyone says anything against her (When Octavian calls her out on her bullshit) Marc Antony nearly kills them. Or Tymon.