Is this guy trying to scam me?

Is this guy trying to scam me?

So I was selling my broken Toshiba laptop on Craigslist (the motherboard is faulty) for $200. This guy offers me $180 and I accept. He tells me he's gooing to mail me a check and then the next day says his PA (personal assistant?) mailed me the wrong amount. He then tells me to take my cut (the $180) and give him the rest back when I give him the laptop. sure enough a check comes in the mail for $1,950 and I deposit $180 into my bank account and have the rest in cash to give back to him. It's been a week since we last communicated and he hasn't responded to any of my texts. Is this some kind of scam? Why the hell would he be letting me have all this money and not even call me back?

yea a scam.
u gonna deposit check. it will clear initially cause they all clear initially. u give him moneys, then like a week or 2 later the check will bounce and now ur scammed.

It's a scam. Check may "clear" by the bank by the bank that issued it will call it back. It will be taken from your account. Report the fraud to your bank and put the money back in.

Not sure if I got all the deets exact but it works about the same regardless.

Op come on. You must be young.
You got scammed. That check you took to your bank is going to come back fraudulent. So 1950 will be taken out of your account. You need to take the cash back to the bank

Yes the money will bounce.

How fucking stupid are you user. Hand dude laptop, he hands you cash. Craigslist is literally as simple as that.

Report to bank, report to police, report to your parents that they raised a fucking stupid kid.

Can I bypass this by withdrawing $180, then depositing $180?

Last part made me lol

No you fucking idiot because the bank that originally issued the $1950 check is going to want the money back

kek

No. Tell the cops. He can go to jail for this. Since he wants to meet its possible for him to be arrested.

There is no way you make money here. Don't try. Get pics of arrest and post.

Ok

Holy shit no. Op are you 18?
The check that you cashed will come back, which if you have money in your account they will take out the 1950. If you don't have that much it will go negative.

Ok, I still got the rest of the money on me.

i would personally never accept checks as payment they are unreliable and scam magnets you pay in cash or you are not paying

He wont meet idiot he will want it mailed back.
And dont bother calling cops they dont give a shit.
Source, bank fag here been to court to testify in similar shit, always gets dropped

Take all the proof you have and report to police and to your bank

So I just give the bank the rest of the money back and then I'm all good?

Not true at all, this is an easy case for the police

Yes. Let them know what's going on.

K

Hahaha okay bud. The guy doesnt live in his town i promise. He would never meet. And he will end up asking for a green dot card with the money on it. Cops do not care one bit there is no money in this for them. I see these checks and these stories every single week and nothing ever happens. There is no way to catch them.

I know someone that works in fraud / loss prevention. They like to know when this shit happens.

Take back to bank tell them what you have now realized and you will be good happens all the time.
Do you bank at a major bank or local?

OP here: thanks user's for saving my skin here. I'm going to the bank today to give them the rest of the money back and let them know what is going on. Just glad I didn't blow that money.

I bank with Capital One. The cute bank teller even seemed interested in me when I cashed the check. Now I have to go back embarrassed.

and from now on make it clear no payments by check just to be sure

no payments by any other means either. virtually everything other than cash can be used to scam you. paypal, etc is all terrible.

In the future if you have to ask if it is a scam.... it is.

Withdraw all your money from your account and close your account now!
That's how you come out ahead.
The scammer will have to pay the bank back 1950 as you are out of the picture.

I was going to say you seem young and i doubt you have 2 grand in your account, maybe you do. But there is a good chance she should have caught it too, a good teller can look at it and immediately tell its fake. So dont feel bad at least you have a chance to talk to her again.
Just dont be a panicked little bitch, all of this really is no big deal at all

For real? Can I really do that to come out ahead?

Retard. Don't do this. You can find yourself in hot water. Especially because you knew this would happen.

Lolol the worst advice, normal thread i would let it slide but op is naive so knock it off. Dont let him fuck up his future for your lulz. The bank will come after op and when he goes to open a bank account for the next 10 years he probably wont be able to

I did it once. If he bounces the check and you no longer have an account with that bank it's not your fault or problem.
The bank will go after him not you.

No. Don't try anything funny. It's fraud.

yes do not do this it will only end bad for you

Op this guy is lying to you.
You are liable for all checks deposited into your account. Its drawn off a fake business more than likely.

I'm not even trying to troll or lulz. Legitimately I did this once. The bank will call you, tell them you sold him a laptop off craigslist for 2,000 and your pissed he shorted you 50 bucks.
It's not your fault that scam man wrote a bad check it's his.

Not true. The bank owes the first bank the money and OP will owe his bank money. Also he attempted fraud.

Yeah youre an idiot.

you are an idiot i hope you actually try this and wind up in jail

I can't believe I got jew'd here. From now on only cash or sex off craigslist.

I must have been lucky. Someone tried this on me for a $50 dollar chair, cut me a check for $500, said it was a mistake and to give him $450 in money order. I just cashed it and closed my account. Never heard about it again.
What if you take the check to scammers bank and just cash it?

It will be off a account from another state not at a major bank. So you could travel but the accounts are usually closed. Either fake account numbers or old business accounts where they stole routing and account numbers and print their own checks.

Gotcha
OP don't take my advice, contact your bank

Your way does work. But they will eventually put a lien on you, atleast for 2k they will. Which is fine if you work cash jobs but otherwise they will garnish wages when your direct deposit goes in.
But you werent wrong by saying there isnt much you can do

If I were to judge based on the "sophistication" of this scam, I'd say you got most likely nigger'd or redneck'd there, not jew'd.