You can't have morality without religion

>you can't have morality without religion

Will someone please explain this meme to me? Isn't this disproven by the existence of ANYONE who is good and doesn't believe in god?

Case in point, me. I donate to charity, volunteer, never murdered, never stolen, etc. How can you explain this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthyphro_dilemma
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pokemon go thread

Kek

Relevant:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthyphro_dilemma

Without a god to set rules, your man made morality is purely imaginary. So in a way, you can't have morality (that means anything) without religion

only 1700 stardust? what'd you spend it all on

>implying religion isn't man-made

You're going to have to learn to accept certain implications in order to have real conversations.

And to reject factually unsubstantiated assertions.

>the current year
>still preoccupied with objective morality

>2020
>2424
I did this twice in a row.
That makes my statements true by default.

My Arcanine. Some on Arbok

Are you implying people eho haven't heard of god, or who believe in a dufferent god, are incapable of doing good deeds?

Fuck off you manchild, stop derailing my thread with your bullshit.

>believes in God
>calls me a child
Almighty kek

You still would have culture that would dictate social, legal and therefore moral norms.

Even within the same religions, sects have different moral codes.

The problem with morality is that it's a question of ethics, and with ethics, anybody can make up their own ideals and to them they are correct. Your idea of "good" will differ from someone else's. Unless you're going to try to make an argument out of who's moral values are more correct - whether those values are based off of personal or religious ideas - this thread is pointless.

I caught this at a church

>eho haven't heard of god

explain? never heard of society like that, also let say to satanist some things are not evil, to pagans sacrificing (humans) was normal, and they still did good deeds, maybe without "God" science wouldn't mind experimenting on humans, now that is bad, but later it would be normal

Why only 1 candy left?

Religeon doesnt actually provide people with morality, but its provides reality to it. Morality doesnt mean anything, its just a feeling until religeon adds cosmic rules and guarenteed justice to the equation. You dont need religeon to live a good life but it helps. I say that as an athiest by the way

You guys are retards. The idea is that morality is rooted in our culture due to religion.

Used all to evolve

The fact that there is a sense of morality can be used as an argument for God. Atheists say moral actions comes from empathy; theist say it is from God

Thank you lord Arceus

Implying that God/Religion is necessary for morals to exist is a flawed idea right out of the gate. You have to have built empathy and a sense of personal morals to at least some degree to even acknowledge that the morals taught by God or whatever religion you belong to are indeed good at all. If you had 0 morals already, you wouldn't give a flying fuck what "good" morals your religion taught.

Anything can be used as an argument for anything if you're dumb enough.

People that don't believe in god arent good since they go against god

1: circular reasoning works because
GOTO 1

Haven't heard if God, or don't believe in him, it amounts to the same thing. Still can and do good things. Do you deny that?

I'm OP you retard, I don't believe in god. This board should have ID's.

IDs*
Name one word which is pluralised by adding an apostrophe and an S to the end, and I will straight up give you £1k.

No Church In The Wild

JAY Z & Kanye West

Buy for CA$1.29

Subscribe

Start Free Radio

Subscribe to Google Play Music and listen to this song and millions of other songs. First month free.

Lyrics

Human beings in a mob
What's a mob to a king?
What's a king to a god?
What's a god to a non-believer?
Who don't believe in anything?

We make it out alive
All right, all right
No church in the wild

Tears on the mausoleum floor
Blood stains the coliseum doors
Lies on the lips of a priest
Thanksgiving disguised as a feast
Rollin' in the Rolls-Royce Corniche
Only the doctors got this, I'm hidin' from police
Cocaine seats
All white like I got the whole thing bleached
Drug dealer chic
I'm wonderin' if a thug's prayers reach
Is Pious pious 'cause God loves pious?
Socrates asks, "Whose bias do y'all seek?"
All for Plato, screech
I'm out chere' ballin', I know y'all hear my sneaks
Jesus was a carpenter, Yeezy, laid beats
Hova flow the Holy Ghost, get the hell up out your seats, preach

Religious people who assert that only those who believe in God can do good are total morons.

Doing good requires empathy - nothing more or less. You do not need to build a complicated argument for/against religion.

I'm an atheist. My personal moral code is 'primo non nocere' - first, do no harm.

I have seen devout Christians, lie, beat their kids and steal. I have seen Moslems spit on a girl for not wearing the hijab. These people lack empathy not religion.

There is no true meaning in life. It's all empty unless we face that fact, and create meaning ourselves. Because morality is something purely human, so therefore it's imagery yet at the same time it isn't.

>pic related
Also, ID is not a word, it's an initialism.

I didn't make the claim that "ID" was a word. What are you getting at here?

Not that user, but. What? Are you telling me that
"This board should have ID is"
isn't a real sentence, dude?

Are you really this dense? You implied that if the usage of x with one word is wrong, I would be unable to find another word where the usage of x is valid.

That is what you inferred. I implied no such thing.

That is not a real sentence.

Yes, you did.

How could you possibly know what was going through my mind when I typed that? Are you implying that you have some special power?

I implied no such thing, you inferred it.

I didn't infer it. I simply asked if you were implying it. Were you?
You're losing, user.

Are we really arguing about this? Just admit that religion is not necessary for morality to exist, that's what the thread is about.

I wouldnt say morality is IMPOSSIBLE without god, but many of our morals are. If you look closley, Its not that without "God" there is no morals, but without "context" there is no morals

You first have to define "moral" : A rule governing right or wrong. It is a code of conduct. It is also ALWWAYS a construct. It has no existance outside of the context where it was created

Religions have morals: sex before marriage is a sin.

But take this moral outside of a religous context where there is a belief in god, and it is nothing. However, take another moral such as "killing is wrong" Outside of a religous context where there is no god, and this may still apply if the members of a comunity agree that it should not be done.

I never contested that point. I fucking agree with you user.
Remember, this is Sup Forums. We argue about anything and everything.

You are a mental gymnastic OLYMPIAN, user! Be proud! Have a gold snowflake.