Ive been watching Vikings and the show is very illuminating...

Ive been watching Vikings and the show is very illuminating. I had no idea that medieval Scandinavia had Chinese princesses, black men, acceptance of Islam, lesbians, and armies of women.

Other urls found in this thread:

static.ylilauta.org/files/s3/orig/wey4j2uo/2017-01-08-0520-27.mp4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

All of that shit aplenty on this route

What are you trying to imply?

You see? Vikings were super tolerant and progressive back then, such as nowadays Sweden.

Not even medieval but nordic iron age.

Also you forgot magic, matrix fighting scenes, vikings being , flying longships and scandis being smarter and more civilised than mainland europe which they were literally powerful enough to conquer if they wanted to but didn't because reasons.

how do you feel about the few vikings speaking finnish on the show

>queen viking is slav

AHAHAHAHAHAHHA

i really REALLY hate this fucking show, its like they took Marvel Thor and tried to make him seem historically accurate

>Tfw so much of a shithole not even vikings wanna raid us

>Lagertha
>Slav

what

the actress

It's a rocking show, one of the few I'm still watching, although i was afraid it will turn into a Scandinavian soap opera but thank god it didn't happen. the action is still there

>Katheryn Winnick

couldn't have said it better myself

I swear to god I'll kill the writers of this show one day.
It's an insult to Norway and all Scandinavian countries.

>Ive been watching Vikings and the show is very illuminating. I had no idea that medieval Scandinavia had Chinese princesses, black men, acceptance of Islam, lesbians, and armies of women.
Do you understand that you're watching fiction? This is a TV show, not a portal into the past you get to watch history through.

why? Norwegians love oil drilling anyway

what does that have to do with this piece of shit show?

This, and more. I hope pic related's film adaption will give a much more historically accurate, and more importantly good and entertaining viking story than this terribly disappointing tv series.

This show is an insult

Not him but during first season there's that episode where Ragnar & Co. tries to get the king to pay ransom for the king's captured brother. When the fake ransom arrives there's a guy shouting in Finnish on the background.
>Nyt se tulee! Nyt se tulee! (now it comes)

What's so bad about it?

does Sup Forums hate this noise too?
static.ylilauta.org/files/s3/orig/wey4j2uo/2017-01-08-0520-27.mp4

not accurate

>Roede Orm

THE COMFIEST OF BOOKS

what's not accurate?

Idiot.

Marvel Thor was the king of Norway 872-912

>complaining about a show that has a seer that predicts and spoils the entire show anyways

Haraldr Hárfagri hardly is like Thor at all t.b.h.

the men are not acting like cuck girlymen like he expects

TOPKEK

Where is it possible to find books on the Nordic religion? What is the name of the religion of the gods thor, odin, and so forth?

poetic eddas

It's only referenced to as norse mythology. They worshipped a variety of gods and would refer to their religion as believing in those gods.

Even preserve those gods? Or is it just something historical?

it's a religion centered around the worship of a few black-skinned fertility gods with large penises. some important ones are Somål, Congund, Nigerke

>a MOVIE about my culture/country is not historically accurate
STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES

In modern times it's called Asatru

Watch Last Kingdom
It's not perfect but it's miles better than vikings

>Chinese princesses
Probably not but who really knows
>black men
Extremely few. The logistics were laughable
>acceptance of Islam
They were a minority religion in Europe and they knew it. To be able to trade with people you can't begin murdering people who believes in another god than you. They weren't abject barbarians.
>lesbians
As we all know gay people didn't exist until very recently
>Armies of women
Not likely, not likely shieldmaidens was a common thing, though women have fought alongside their men and the sagas revere them.

I will have to learn that language. Has other advantages. Gods bless the google translator

really? I was thinking about watching this

>hey kids. you're dad's dead. snakes ate him. go fuck shit up in England. bye!

The Last Kingdom >>> Vikings

This

It's very historically accurate

I wish they removed the story and made a historical record of the vik.

>It's very historically accurate

Well I dunno about that but probably more so than Vikings.

Are they the holy texts then? All the stories about ice giants and shit are from poems?

So they were timelords confirmed'

SHIELD WALL

Why is she so perfect, bros?

Its on the history channel though. Why is America such a joke?

Based on a series of novels by Bernard Cornwall. Quite a fun read

At the beginning it seemed like a humble show about Vikings depicting their raids on England and France. As it became more popular the number of womyn warriors and more historically inaccurate but politically correct things started to occur.

I hate how the show has made half of all viking warriors women just because they found one woman buried in a battlefield excavation. Literally WE WUZ WARRIORS TOO AN SHIT

Siggy was hotter tbqh.

>As we all know gay people didn't exist until very recently
Oh fuck that's funny. More like they weren't hiding/people started caring is the reason they're out in full force. Those gender fluid motherfuckers though, that is problem of today.

He was being sarcastic.

>As we all know gay people didn't exist until very recently
Too bad it is a proven fact that scandi pirates had extreme disdain for homosexuality.

I only watched the first season of Vikings. Even then I could smell the "muh strong women" meme.

Last Kingdom is miles ahead, even if it gets cheesy from time to time

Haven't watched it but...

>Chinese princesses
You mean the Sami? They're basically asian
>armies of women
Well, there were shieldmaidens

>black men, acceptance of Islam, lesbians
Yeh, that's dumb

Second series of The Last Kingdom is out soon, and instead of 8 episodes it'll be 10.

>/ss/ rape
MUH DICK

It is

Guthram converted to Christianity because of Alfred and the battle tactics are accurate as well and the Danes would enslave Saxon women and children

It's also accurate in that it portrayed Alfred as a man of intellect rather than as a warrior (which is how he's often portrayed in English statues, paintings, etc)

The only unrealistic part is the long sword fight between the protagonist and his best friend
Most sword fights only lasted a few seconds like the one between the protagonist and the big Dane with the tattooed face

He wrote the Sharpe series of books too.

The Saxons using rectangular shields too, when they'd use round ones like the Danes. I'm sure there's other shit but it's an enjoyable enough show.

As an avid reader of the Sharpe series since I was 14 I found the show very underwhelming. 50 people trying to be 15,000 just didn't really do it for me. The later ones in India were good though

I think his book Agincourt would make a really good one off series though. If it was big budget like GoT

>50 people trying to be 15,000 just didn't really do it for me. The later ones in India were good though

Budget constraints will do that unfortunately, and you'd be one of the few people I've heard who prefer the later episodes set in India. Toby Stephens is good though.

The Bayeux Tapestry shows the Saxons using shields like the ones portrayed in The Last Kingdom

I mean realistically the reason that I liked the Indian ones more was that they had a higher production value and I assume the Indians were cheaper so they could have more of them running around.

Pretty sure I've read all the books. And I guess that one of the things that annoyed me was the way that the cannon shots were treated in the show and the TV style violence. Richard was a fucking animal... The reason that he could beat better fighters was that he was a fucking nightmare. Sean Bean isn't particularly big so that was lost. Also he looked like fucking captain Kirk fighting a Alien sometimes.

I doubt they would be using them at the time of Alfred the Great.

That statue is a very inaccurate portrayal that was made in 1899 which makes it about 800 years newer than the Bayeux Tapestry

Alfred the Great was not a warrior at all in fact he was of diminutive stature and did not engage in combat however he made up for this with intelligence and diplomatic skill

He's a warrior in all our hearts.

Last Kingdom's protagonist is cringey as fuck.

Even if the show was terribly bad, I'd watch because of her

Very true, but he does somehow grow on you after a while. Thankfully the supporting cast is good.

The scene where Lagertha literally castrates a guy was too much and when I decided to drop the show.

A show can take a few artistic licences but they went overboard with MUH STRONK INDEPENDENT WOMYN WARRIORS

He's a lot better in the books. Not an edgelord

And he's way better when he's older. More tough and fucked

No. Last season a chinese girl showed up. I think she was captured in China and was sold by slave traders until ending in Scandinavia

>He's a lot better in the books. Not an edgelord

So I've heard. I should read the books tbqh.

Actually to expand on this, you miss a whole book of character development with him as a child to Ragnar and have it replaced with him wearing black and being edgy.

In the books he still has his sword folded over 1000 times, serpent breath, but this is actually a historical thing that Cornwall highlights rather than the edgy shit you see in the show.

He's a fucking beast man. There's going to be so much the show won't cover because it would make him look like a bad guy or weak, like him being mentored by the character that was in charge of the boat, they replaced him with Leorfic in the show. But he's basically weak as piss and then becomes a fucking nightmare by being slightly bigger and a hard cunt.

Also him killing priests and that sort of thing I doubt will be shown. I also doubt they'll show Steappa being as fucking hardcore as he was. He could fuck old mate up 1v1 but Uhtred is better at leading men and generally being on par with the Danes because he was raised by them

Then that still makes sense in context and isn't really anything to complain about

Isn't there already an old film of that book? Are they making a new one?

>medieval

A powerful Viking chieftain and naval commander, Björn and his brother Hastein conducted many (mostly successful) raids in France in a continuation of the tradition initiated by their (legendary) father Ragnar Lodbrok. In 860, Björn led a large Viking raid into the Mediterranean. After raiding down the Iberian coast and fighting their way through Gibraltar, Björn and Hastein pillaged the south of France, where his fleet over-wintered, before landing in Italy where they captured the coastal city of Pisa. They proceeded inland to the town of Luni, which they believed to be Rome at the time, but were unable to breach the town walls. To gain entry a tricky plan was devised: Hastein sent messengers to the bishop to say that, being deathly ill, he had a deathbed conversion and wished to receive Christian sacraments and/or to be buried on consecrated ground within their church. He was brought into the chapel with a small honor guard, then surprised the dismayed clerics by leaping from his stretcher. The Viking party then hacked its way to the town gates, which were promptly opened letting the rest of the army in. Flush with this victory and others around the Mediterranean (including in Sicily and North Africa) Björn returned to the Straits of Gibraltar only to find the Saracen navy from Al-Andalus waiting for him. In the desperate battle that followed, Björn lost 40 ships, largely to a form of Greek fire launched from Saracen catapults. The remainder of his fleet managed to return to Scandinavia, however, where he lived out his life as a rich man.

Ragnar already did that trick in the show

Hviti viking, Hrafn Flygurr and other icelandic movies were the ones I first learned about Vikings.

So nothing of this shit really reaches to me, I'd rather not watch the TV adaptation of Bernard Cornwell saga because it's filled with God awful acting.

And now their descendants allow their land to be invaded by "blacks" and "refugees"

im loving this
it feels so real and gritty. especially the first fight of the show

ive started watching vikings and it feels overly glamorised

It's a canadian show. What did you expect?

*Canadian-Irish

The joke works better when you don't overcomplicate it Seamus O'Semantics

>Are they making a new one?
Sounds like it. Not much news since 2014, but they seemed serious to me.

didnt know, havent watched it. Show sux nigger balls

The religion is called asatro or some variation thereof. The most obvious source is the eddas by Snorri. Additionally I know that Gesta Danorum contains a good deal as well (though this was written by a bishop so it's slightly biased)

Thats why they putted a chinese then

>black men, acceptance of Islam, lesbians,
When did this happen? I dropped the show after season 3. I already heard about the Chinese princess tho

>lesbos
Lagertha got herself a gf and created a feminist lesbos village. The existence of shield maidens and homossexuality is a fact, only cuchristians are mad with this shit, but a feminist village?! Hahaha, no.
>black men
This was when they raided a caliphate, nothing wrong with this, legit tbqfh, spain was mudslime property at that time and they were Alberto Barbosas
>acceptance of Islam
Floki didnt wanted to murder the people praying, and his bitch adopted a moorish girl... And in the caliphate the people were passive trading cunts, instead of angry violent muslims with a numerous army. I mean, why did they murdered in cold blood all those cuchristians in the church, but they spared the group of muslims that was praying? It sounds like the directors are soft cunts, afraid of creating pissed of muslims and giving a bad impression of them to the public