Guys I have a genius idea for No Man's Sky and I want your help to bring it to fruition

Guys I have a genius idea for No Man's Sky and I want your help to bring it to fruition.

This is going to be a huge project, so normies, newfags, and baitfags leave.

Here's the idea: I am going to make a Galactic Map. Using data from myself, you, and other players we will build a map of the current known galaxies in NMS starting with the starter galaxy.

Here's how it will work. Players will upload a System, list how many plantes it has, if it has any notable features or resources. Then they will have to list all the star systems that are within 1 jump of that system. Once it's filled out they'll click upload and the information is added to a data log on a server. The server then matches that information with current stored data in order to see if it can match any of the systems together, like trying to connect pieces of a puzzle. Once it's done analyzing the data it allows users to view it.

Think along the lines of the playermade EVE tools for viewing traderoutes or mining data. It'll be like Destinylfg for NMS.

Right now the main goal is to help people find rare minerals that they need to build equipment. However, I hope to grow it into something huge that let's people find out where they are in the galaxy and where Atlas locations or Black Holes are so they can plan and build their own routes.

I was a programmer in the past, but never a scriptwriter so I don't know much about HTML. Can anyone think of the best way to go about building this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AxYqLnwW36o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I can but I'm not going to tell you

bump

You're wasting your talent on a shitty game, just go make a better game.

Kek

On a serious note, when I wrote programs they were all client-side applications. So I have never had to deal with programming automations for a server-client interaction.

Also, the PC and PS4 maps/apps will be different due to both using a different server.

This

I thought it was procedurally generated for each player, is it not?

Is this game any good?

As much as this is a cool idea, it's a waste on this game. Played for about 8 hours, hated it and uninstalled

cant u just debug their code, find the function used to generate star systems, CRT pushing every x;y;z possible, or whatever parameter it needs to use and map it yourself?

No. The whole galaxy has already been generated. The planets and resources are the same no matter who is playing. This is how players are able to name plantes and systems and people can go in and visit those places.

Yes, it's amazing especially if you like Space Sims.

why?

No, because you won't know what is on each planet nor will you know if Atlas is there or not. Not to mention players rename systems and planters, so making a map from an offline copy would screw up navigation for online players.

I'm not If you don't mind, could you give me a crash course on what NMS is? I know absolutely nothing about the game aside from the image you posted.

This

my friend discovered how to dupe

how please?

This

>Next galaxy
>You can farm X here
>Next galaxy
>same shit
>Next galaxy
>Same shit
>Next galaxy
>Same shit
>Next galaxy
>Same shit
>Next galaxy
>Same shit
>Next galaxy
>Same shit

Thanks for the bait thread OP you faggot. Don't you have the same barren planets to farm for hours?

Look into how Minecraft map building works. Same principle should apply. You have the data and seed for the engine to generate a planet, now you need something to store it visually.

Having said that, this "game" is terrible and planets don't even have biomes. I also haven't found any weather or anything interesting yet. Ooooh a monument that teaches me a word? Who gives a fuck. Why am I moving at the speed of slow? Why is my ship drunk? Why can't I store any significant resources I find?

This whole game is a poorly made universe with some shitty grinding elements tacked on as an afterthought. Once you alt tab out of the game, time freezes. Go on, do that to ANY multiplayer game and see if that happens. It doesn't. The engine does NOT support multiplayer, meaning they can't just patch it in later either.

It's a single player game, your saves are stored locally. You can manipulate your saves.

but this is a single player game lol

thanks

Okay.
Basically it's a space sim. Think of something like Elite Dangerous, Freelancer, or Star Citizen. Except NMS is much much MUCH larger.

NMS has 18 quintillion planets spread out across a currently unknown amount of galaxies. Each of which are fully explore able with no walls or any barrier at all. Every player starts off at a random spot in the Euclid galaxy, which is the starter galaxy. The main story goal is to get to the center of that galaxy. However, there's a side goal that involves finding out more about that mysterious diamond on the cover art. It's called Atlas and it is separated into many pieces across the universe. You can choose to find them and earn stuff for your quest or not. As you may have guessed getting to the center of the galaxy allows travel to another galaxy.

Gameplaywise it's not complex. Think Mine craft with more Destinylike gameplay. Currently there is no building, however the devs plan on adding the ability to build stations in the future.

It's really hard to put everything in this game into a post, bit it's massive.

>>Next galaxy
>>Galaxy
Damn, that's one hell of a hyperdrive you've got there. Where did you get it? Mine only let's me jump a few systems.

Since he's too much of a fag to tell you.

You can put items on your ships inventory, such as Atlas Stones. Then you fly around and get killed in space. Thenot you reload your save before you died and fly to your death marker to claim your duplicated items.

>Basically it's a space sim.

No, it isn't. There's no gravity, worlds don't have physics and every world is inhabited with life. All the animals and plants are just randomly generated drivel that in most cases doesn't look like something that'd actually function. Most planets are just hilly terrain with a color swap.

It's a space sim in the sense that Spore was a space sim.

That's the end of the game. You watch a 3 minute screensaver and crash onto a planet in a new galaxy.

Why bother when you can just create a ship that can hold a ton of items and then fill it with the most expensive thing you can find.

>I was a programmer in the past, but never a scriptwriter so I don't know much about HTML.

>HTML for scripting

You were never a programmer.

As for the idea it's nigh impossible. I don't think you understand how enormous the universe it and how much server space it would take to store it all.

>thinking HTML is a programming language
Opinion discarded

Your friend discovered? You mean he watched the same video everyone else did? Fucking gullible faggot. youtube.com/watch?v=AxYqLnwW36o

>create a ship
Damn you're right.

Next time I log on to the game I need to build me a new one. What ship did you build? I'm going for a capital ship. Something like an Orca. Or maybe a Moros

> Information is added to a data log on the server
Get real you clearly don't know shit about programming and could never accomplish something like this

>I was a programmer in the pas
you were learning programming at school, else you would know what you explained is stupid.

OP isn't wasting any talent. he has none, that idea proves it

this, even worse, because you have the code that generates the galaxy in your client you can use it to generate more data in your own application

hell you could do what the old trainers did and inject your dll into the game, then you could fucking extract the exact position of you in that galaxy and just upload that. much easier to pinpoint all players

>This is going to be a huge project, so normies, newfags, and baitfags leave.

aren't you the unique little snowflake...
where do you smurfs keep coming from?