How smart is Sup Forums?

How smart is Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand's_box_paradox
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

2/3

Any other answer means the person is either trolling or retarded.

1/2 you stupid fuck

50%.
66.6% implies you're going into another box and pulling from there, not the same box.

50%

Either its the silver or its the other gold

coming from the only person with a degree here. 1/2 if i need to explain you are too stupid to access the internet.

1/6

1/2

2/3 would be the answer if you pulled a silver ball, but because you pulled a golden ball the eliminates the double silver box, making it 50/50

I don't think this is right. If you pull a gold on the first pull that means you didn't pick the box with 2 silvers, and of the two boxes that have gold, only one would have a gold ball left after the first pull so it's 1/2, right?

Jesus Christ you people are retarded.

If you pull a gold ball, that means the all silver box is eliminated.
So there are 2 boxes left and 3 balls. 2 of the balls are gold and 1 is silver.

2 gold balls out of 3

2/3

Pic Related

It's not a two silver balls box so there's three balls left. Two of them are golden : 2/3

You can't know which one is the double gold ball and which one is the one gold one silver. Anyways, the answer is 1/2.

The answer is not 1/2, it is indeed 2/3.

The reason is that, given your first choice being gold, it is more likely that you chose the box with two golds and thus more likely that the next draw will also be a gold.

Learn to explain dispassionately.

ITT: 2/3 smart people and 50% retards

This is called the Bertrand Box Paradox and the answer is 2/3

Here is a simple explanation using coins instead of balls.

idiot.... it says out of the SAME BOX you pulled from.... so if the silver box is eliminated.... you either pulled from the double gold box, or the split box. Either way... pulling form the SAME BOX you pulled from is a 50% chance....IDIOT

>Learn to explain dispassionately.

This is Sup Forums not a lecture hall.

Pic related is wrong for the problem as stated. In order for that to be right, the problem has to be stated as follows:

There are a hundred rooms which each contain three boxes, and within each room, the boxes are G-G, G-S, and S-S. A person goes into each room and picks a random box and pulls a ball out of it. Eliminate all the rooms where a person picked a silver ball. With the remaining rooms, the person picks the other ball out of the box. On average, how many of those people chose a gold ball as their second pick?

>you either pulled from the double gold box, or the split box.

Twice as likely to be the all gold box, retard.

2/3

You're just a moron. Read the solutions in this thread or google Bertrand's Box Paradox.

this and only this. 2/3 people are getting a similar problem mixed up. Obviously cannot think for themselves.

Even on Sup Forums we can improve!

No it's not twice as likely to be the double-gold box, because it already happened. Probability only concerns things that might happen, not things that have happened.
This is like asking, I just flipped a coin and it came up heads. What's the probability that it actually came up tails?

>What is conditional probability

The fact that you randomly picked a gold ball as the first ball means that you are twice as likely tpo have the all gold box, because there are 2 ways to pick a gold ball as the first ball from this box and only 1 way to pick a gold ball as the first ball from the gold/silver box.

Stay in school, kid.

Answer is 2/3

Attention wanabe smartasses. If you would take the time to read the fucking question, you would know that OP asks the probability that you'll pull another Gold Ball from THE SAME BOX.

If you happend to stick your hand into the one Gold one Silver box, then you'll pull up a Silver Ball. But you couldn't possibly know that. So the probability is 50%

If you happened to stick your hand into the Double Gold Ball box, then you'll pull a Gold Ball. Once again, the probability is 50%.

50%
how fucking retarded can you be

Jeez, you guys are retards. Read the fucking solutions.

It's 2/3

50%

You've already pulled a gold ball, which can happen from one of two boxes.

The only question is whether you pulled from the box with two gold balls or just the one.

literally 50/50

This user gets it

It's only a "paradox" because it's underspecified. You need to know the method by which it's known that I've picked a gold ball, and the only way in which it can come up as 2/3 is if the problem really means,
>There are a hundred rooms which each contain three boxes, and within each room, the boxes are G-G, G-S, and S-S. A person goes into each room and picks a random box and pulls a ball out of it. Eliminate all the rooms where a person picked a silver ball. With the remaining rooms, the person picks the other ball out of the box. On average, how many of those people chose a gold ball as their second pick?
But as stated, having chosen either the G-S or G-G boxes is already known. Hence why I asked,
>I just flipped a coin and it came up heads. What's the probability that it actually came up tails?
You might say, there's a 50% chance that my coin COULD HAVE come up tails, but the probability that it actually came up tails is 0%. Since the problem as phrased takes for granted that I already have chosen a gold ball, it doesn't really matter that it was more likely for me to have chosen a gold ball at some point in the past.
With the deranged way people talk about this, we should be incorporating the Drake equation, as in, "what's the probability that we ended up a solar system that contains heavy metals such as gold and silver?" At which point the probability of choosing a gold ball edges on zero, since we need to include the prior of being in a solar system that accreted near a supernova.

Answer is 2/3

The key is that your have to pick from the same box. If you could choose either boxes it's 50/50. Because you have already chosen a box it's 1/3 as there's only 1 box containing 2 gold balls.

No this is wrong.

50/50

Haha retard