Star Trek

Why do the Klingons use cloaking devices?

It makes perfect sense for the Romulans, since their entire gimmick is being sneaky and unfair, but even ignoring how Klingons are all about honor, since they're also all about strength, their ships should logically just be gigantic warships, shouldn't they?

Instead, it's acknowledged that Birds of Prey are basically just slapped-together pieces of shit, and that the Enterprise outguns a Bird of Prey massively.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4_P3CV2eHhw
youtube.com/watch?v=l94v4YOqxOc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They address it. "Nothing is more honorable than victory."

Is a soldier dishonorable for using camouflage?

it's like that, in SPACE!

TOS Klingons & Romulans were really the opposite of their TNG incarnations.

Wasn't Star Trek III's Bird of Prey originally meant to be a stolen Romulan ship?

That got changed in production, but the design stayed and it became a Klingon design?

>"You should hear it in the original Klingon"

What did he mean by this?

taH pagh taHbe'?

Klingon battleships outclass all federation vessels. Birds of Prey are Frigates.

the real question is why the fuck would hamlet still be relevant

It's been 400 years since it was published. Why not another 250?

to Klingons?

do you only read/watch things exclusively created by your ancestors culture?

Yes
>WE WUZ WRITERS, YOU PETAQ

>guy discovers that his father was murdered and goes on revenge quest, ultimately dying in honorable combat
What's not to love?

Klingons and Romulans have been beating the shit out of each other for god knows how long.

Makes sense that one of them would steal the others technology.

>Why do the Klingons use cloaking devices?
They didn't until formed an alliance with the romulans in the 23rd century.

Christopher Plumber is based af

youtube.com/watch?v=4_P3CV2eHhw

Why would the Romulans give the Klingons cloaking technology when they guard it so jealously from the federation?

Did they just fuck up?

Klingons stole it using their advanced Tribble-based intelligence network

A trade in exchange for warp.

You're saying that the Romulans migrated from Vulcan with sub-light ships?

>and then the Vulcans developped warp easily

I'm not that dude, but I finally understand now. The Klingons probably meant that Hamlet was very similar to one of their legends or perhaps even better, so much that it added to their anxiety about losing their racial pride and cultural identity. The conversation veered into SJW-like accusations of the Federation being a humans-only club overshadowing their own hypocrisy about cultural appropriation, for they appropriated Hamlet.

>Shanxbeard: fucking Klingon bitches from beyond the grave

They used psychic gestalt fold tech by combining their minds and "jumping" from point to point. It was extremely inefficient, dangerous, and it cost them seven ships when they accidentally bootstrapped themselves too close to a black hole. They needed warp technology from the get-go and trading for it with the Klingons was the quickest way to get it.

Hard to say

D7s tended to get beat down by Enterprise in TOS

The modded one in this film did seem to scare Kirk when they first saw it, though, so perhaps the top of the line Klingon warship might be better than the top of the line Fed one.

This sounds dangerously like bookshit.

It's appropriate, predators use stealth.

What does bloodwine taste like?

I imagine wine with blood in it.

It is, but since no one else has ever bothered to give an explanation, it's all we have to go on. Unlike Star Wars, no one's ever done a canon wipe in Star Trek so all those books are still legit until shown otherwise. Abrams's reboot gives the opportunity to establish what actually happened, but we'll see if anyone even bothers to explore that should there be another series.

Star Trek, like any franchise that has gone on for too long and had too many cooks in the kitchen utterly falls to pieces when you try to apply logic to it. Obviously the bird of prey in Star Trek III is supposed to be a romulan ship, it looks like a progression from the TOS warbird in the same way that the enterprise refit was a progression.

It's the same kind of nonsense as the federation still using excelsior and miranda class ships in the TNG era. Everyone knows that the only reason they are in the show is because they already had those models built for the previous star trek movies so they could save money by using them instead of making new ships. But the fandom had come up with convoluted reasons as to why the miranda class and it's pointless, obviously kit-based modified sister ships are still bumming around nearly 100 years later. Obvious kit-bash models like the constellation are another example of laziness.

Klingons think we wuz Shakespeare n shiiyet

Also, "only Nixon can go to China" is an old Vulcan proverb

Klingons apparently traded D7 cruisers for it. TOS special effects crew were too lazy to make unique battle cruisers models for Romulans you see, so they really needed to make that trade.

"Klingon Honor" especially doesn't hold up if you try to compare all the examples of it instead of looking at movies/episodes that bring it up in isolation.

Everyone has a different idea of what it means and they're often contradictory.

No reason prize ships can't be a thing in space.

And regarding using old ships, they are still perfectly usable patrolling Federation space, running down outlaws and pirates, etc. You wouldn't throw them against the Klingons or Dominion, but I can see them keeping some ruffians with shuttles and photon torpedoes off the backs of merchants, even if they're a century out of date.

for the longest time i thought they just got the animal drunk until it died of alcohol poisoning and bled it for "wine", the more it drank the better the quality. then it turns out its just another fermentation process.

Write a letter to Bryan Fuller and your wildest dreams can become canon.

Tribbles are sworn enemies of the Klingon empire.

Oh cool, thanks for that obscure trivia, I never knew.

>the real question is why the fuck would hamlet still be relevant

Up until we destroyed our education system 60 years ago, college graduates could quote Homer and Virgil.

Not only that but if you go a little further back they could hold conversations in Latin. Look at Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

A time traveling trader stole Hamlet from Earth and sold it to the Klingons. It was technically published earlier in Klingon History than human history, as he traveled back further in time before selling it. A Klingon author claimed the work as his own, stating it was about an attempted coup within the Empire.

How's quoting really basic trope-users or conversing in dead languages (which NOBODY knows how to pronounce accurately) useful? Did the Classical ancients whom you worship study dead and useless things? The cargo cult era of education is over and there's nothing white men can do about it.

When someone far more educated than you begins to speak to their friend in a language they are absolutely certain no one else can understand right in front of you, you will understand. It is a form of elitism designed to make you feel stupid. That is all.

How come the Federation can't develop cloaking for their ships. I've watched TNG, and some of TOS but all I can remember is something about a treaty or something saying they wouldn't do it. But why would it be unethical for the federation to develop something their enemies use freely?

Books aren't canon to ST. They're ST's EU. Hence there being two Trek wikis. One of Live Action canon and one of licensed works like books. ST canon is the live action stuff only.

Treaty with Romulus prevents the Feds developing cloaking technologies. If they do the Romulans can get legit tear up the treaty and go to war with them.

Bird of Preys are Romulan.

Top bait

We wuz Shakespeare.

jesus christ that nose

Is user's 'every species is a different kind of jew' theory confirmed?

Why would the Romulans guard cloaking technology from the Federation? The Feds have cloaks they just don't use them due to a treaty.

Is it even possible to ferment blood?

And as they drink it by the barrel they must be processing elephants or something equally large for it.

What the fuck was even up with the Klingons, their planet, and that moon jizzing all over itself?

Goddamn JJ and his lack of lore. He did the same shit with TFA.

What even happened with their moon in the ops movie? I remember it about to blow up or something which is why the Klingons and Feds started getting close.

Overmining IIRC

The shit that makes the ships go into warp

So it simply ran out, that was the major shattering event that caused them to change their confrontational ways?

You would think that they would have hundreds of Dilithium mines through their empire.

No, they over mined the moon of their home world so severely that it exploded, devastating the home world in a way that they couldn't reverse by themselves while still on a war footing

Which doesn't help your case any when nothing in live action has ever bothered to address the question. In the absence of any other evidence, the books win out until shown otherwise.

Chair's broken again

Star Trek VI is overrated.

True bur given the Trek live action writers & producers as far as I know never acknowledge the licensed material authors or stories in anyway and by most accounts don't follow or read them in anyway, I think you can discount all the books even when they haven't been contradicted by the live action stuff.

That being said the Abrams Trek writers are on record saying the comics about NuTrek are (or at least the early ones were) canon to their movies.

But go look at the Memory Beta wiki where this stuff is catalogued. The licensed materials especially the books contradict each other all the time. There's no kind of continuity maintainance like the old Star Wars EU had. There's like 3 different origins for the Borg, multiple depictions of early Romulus which contradict each other, etc.

Unbelievable that know one here is old enough to understand that ST6:TUC is a metaphor for the ending of the Cold War. The Klingons are supposed to represent the Soviets, that Shakespeare claim was a throwback to when the Soviets claimed that Russians invented literally everything including the works of Shakespeare. In TOS this was used for comic effect by having Chekov make similar absurd Russian orig claims, note his reaction to Chang's statement.

>star trek breads: autists arguing with autists

What are the best fan made trek? Just rewatched renegades which qas pretty good. Waiting for axanar

Have you tried Star Trek Horizon?

youtube.com/watch?v=l94v4YOqxOc

Nope. Watching now thanks

As originally conceived, the Klingon variant of the Bird-of-Prey was actually a Romulan ship; the script of Star Trek III at first called for the film's main villains to be Romulans using a Romulan Bird-of-Prey, as had been typical of Bird-of-Prey use in Star Trek: The Original Series. In other early drafts of the movie's script, the Bird-of-Prey was suggested as having been stolen, by the ship's Klingon commander, from the Romulans. Later script revisions dropped the ship's connection to the Romulans but the craft's designation as a Bird-of-Prey remained unchanged.

Interesting.

>saying the comics about NuTrek are (or at least the early ones were) canon to their movies.

God damn I enjoyed prelude to Anaxar, probably the first fan film I enjoyed.

Started watching this. I dont expect much from the acting of fan films but this is probably the worst acting I've seen in any fan film...ah well have a few interesting plot points to keep me going

If you count parodies Star Wreck was enjoyable

>even the comic has lens-flares

slight chuckle

Klingon ships are, in general, better armed than most Federation ships. While they may or may not be as tough as the TOS ships, it's pretty safe to say they pack more of a punch.

Klingons are predators, predators use stealth. They also have big cruisers too.

Not to mention that most of the old ships probably have been retrofitted as fuck by the TNG era.

The Federation doesn't seem like an organization that wastes a lot of stuff. Except for lives.

>Klingons think we wuz Shakespeare n shiiyet
>Also, "only Nixon can go to China" is an old Vulcan proverb
Shakespeare being Klingon is an out-of universe joke (true to them, funny to us) but Nixon being Vulcan is an in-universe joke (Spock was joking)

I suspect It's as varied as normal wine, Worf likes his 'very young and very sweet' but Martok mentions vintages a few times

>abrams enterprise

Normies get off my board

why was shakespeare killing all those people?

nixon should have just given hitler and china the breathing room they asked for.

They problably got somekind of "federation's classics" at school and this guy, well, he read shakespeare before dropping the school.

A civ that has replicators don't need to keep old ships. Just replicate new ones. If the Feds used replicators and transporters to their full potential, you will have millions of Enterprise E clones buttfucking the entire galaxy.

>I need an old priest and a young priest

Wouldn't you need an enormous replicator to do that? Even if you're just building it in segments? The Enterprise D was a damn small city in space. Not to mention the fact that certain elements can't be replicated.

I dunno, people still read Plato, Omer and Aristotle.

They don't have movies, TV or holodecks, probably lots of reading though.

Ships still have to be put together, and replicators don't create resources out of thin air

You also don't build flagships that take 800-1000 people to run to do jobs that a ship run by 30 people can do

Decommissioning perfectly capable ships that can be kept up to date with upgrades is grossly wasteful.

The Akira, Saber and Steamrunner classes were the replacements for the old stuff like the Excelsior, Miranda and Oberth classes anyway as the aged ships basically got steadily wiped out by the Borg and Dominion.

Двaчyю бpoтиш)))

I love how Brunt perpetually looks like he shit his pants.

Kek

Well, it's important to ask yourself why things work the way they work on a star ship.

But why does God need a starship?

To get to the other side.

The real questions are "why did tragedy befall shakespeare?" and "why did Spock compare Kirk to a president?" if you ask me.

They're Vikings. You get honor from daring raids with inferior weaponry using crafty tactics.