Cultural appropriation is a meme. Musicians are free to do whatever they want

Cultural appropriation is a meme. Musicians are free to do whatever they want

Other urls found in this thread:

bossip.com/1035394/fancy-racist-a-gallery-of-iggy-azaleas-most-controversial-tweets/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

"""""musician"""""

Musicians are free to do whatever they want and people are free to criticise them however they want.

not a musician,but definately an artist

>Cultural appropriation is a meme. Musicians are free to do whatever they want
true but i have every right to call them a racist and not buy their music :)

>Anyone is free to hurt other people

Iggy Azalea is literally the definition of cultural appropriation. The bad kind

The only time I hear about "cultural appropriation" is you guys complaining about it.

Always assumed the problem was that she became far more successful than the black artists she sounds similar to, which is less a problem with her and more a problem (for want of a better word) with the industry/public at large.

bossip.com/1035394/fancy-racist-a-gallery-of-iggy-azaleas-most-controversial-tweets/

She has no respect for anyone but herself. She's mocking the culture she's appropriating which makes it even worse. All white Australians are like this.

There's s difference between doing it with respect and appreciation and just doing it to cash in without any knowledge of the culture.

>All white Australians are like this
Nice job mocking a culture

in america, it is okay to be racist so long as you are not white
>whites say something about others
>'woah dude not cool'
>I say something about jews or blacks
>'haha funny man!'

It's not a shot at their culture, more a shot at the priviledge of white australians. They just don't understand race relations in America

Yeah, nah, you yanks are just soft cunts. Good thing you've come to your senses and will be building a wall.

>ausfailian knowledge of american politics

A wall won't be built. Trump is not going to get the funding from congress for it.

That's why Mexico is gonna pay for it.

what people need to realise is that "cultural appropriation" isn't inherently a bad thing. there is tasteful and informed cultural appropriation based out of a genuine appreciation of a culture - think talking heads or paul simon, and there is tasteless and disrespectful cultural appropriation

and then there's circus clowns like iggy azalea

good1

>implying rap music isn't inherently clownish and worthy of condescending mockery

You must be white

I think black people should stop culturally appropriating computers and making beats on software that whites made.

As soon as whites stop appropriating Arab culture and stop using algebra. So those computers are actually Arab inventions

No, the modern computer was invented by Charles Babbage, but now you've made my point for me.

Cultural appropriation is stupid and leads to endless "yeah, but" arguments.

that's common sense.

And you're probably a guilt ridden brainwashed cuck that thinks pic related is just and true.

Inventions and technology aren't really culture. Rapping wasn't a black American invention people had been doing similar for ages. It became a major cultural thing largely because it wasn't regarded as valid culture by many.

I would prefer if white people got in touch with their own myriad cultures, rather than just ape the customs and jump on the trends of foreigners, but of course they can do whatever they want. Simply emulating black people musically, like whites have been doing since probably shortly after the end of slavery in the most popular music does nothing positive for us though, except in the short-run when we have some sick choons. Kind of hard to resolve the white guilt problem when "the media" is constantly telling you the culture of your people's former slaves is superior, and that emulating an out-group, not embracing and building upon your heritage, is the way to success.
It's a topic people take seriously in mainstream media.

Artists have the right to appropriate cultures, I have the right to call them racists.

I never thought of Iggy's music as cultural appropriation.

I see it more as the logical conclusion of a society where white girls (Actually, girls of ANY race) are desperate to get in on "ratchet" culture for whatever reason. For some reason it's fine when proplr of color perpetuate their own stereotypes, but when it speaks to a white person and they want to do it to, it's suddenly problematic and has to be discussed. Like, what? Her music is the same type of female hip-hop that's polluted the radio since Nikki Minaj became a thing. Even if your issue is with her putting on a "black" affect and pretending to be someone she isn't, where was this attitude when Lorde failed to mention growing up in one of New Zealand's most wealthy neighborhoods when claiming she didn't come from money and wasn't proud of her address? Hell, Drake made a banger about starting from the bottom when he grew up in a Canadian suburb and made bank on a tween drama and he's the number one hip hop artist in the world right now.

Cultural appropriation is tribalist garbage SJWs try to pull because they don't like when white people want to play with their toys. The concept of a melting pot and sharing in each other's experiences and inventions isn't a thought to people who believe this kind of shit.

okay, since inventions and technology aren't "culture" to you, how about this

Blacks stop appropriating white culture and speaking english.

>white culture

Don't make me laugh user

>no argument
>just says some bullshit

I get your trying to bait but try a bit harder.

dude stop
you're such garbage

my trying to bait what?

Think you will find blacks were often forced in to 'appropriating' that aspect of white culture and punished for speaking their own languages. Ignoring the fact that lots of whites don't speak English.

Okay, that was the past. Gtfo of America and learn a new language if you don't like it.

The white man can only keep you down for so long user. Something's gotta give at some point.

America doesn't have an official language

Eat a dick. English is the language of the oppressors, so learn a new one or quit jabbering about cultural appropriation.

Cultural appropriation exists, but it's not a bad thing in most cases. It can be tacky like Iggy but it's not her fault she became a millionaire off of dumbfucks. Black people that argue against cultural appropriation act like they can't be successful because of it and somehow we're stealing so they can't get any, even though the biggest pop stars of all time, and arguably the biggest, was a black man.

You're not getting held back, you're just a loser. I'm sorry.

>You're not getting held back, you're just a loser. I'm sorry.

Likewise

>mfw "tribalist garbage"
The real "white privilege" is the ability to disdain nature

You as a general term, chill.

>WE WUZ VIKINGS N SHIT

I would fuck her in the ass if you know what I mean ;)

Confirmed for shit tier major. Do you know how computers work retard? They rely on mathematical notions developed by Arabs

Drake meant starting from the bottom of the rap game with that song just so you know

Which makes you a sensitive cuck

It's time for you all to go back to tumblr or reddit or just kill yourselves. Whatever is easiest I guess.

Hillary lost the election. The Remain campaign lost the referendum. What will it take for you to realize the general public will not accept your ideology as the norm not matter how many times you cry "racism" or "sexism" Fuck yourselves.

Hi Sup Forums

Obama won twice in a row

Why do SJWs push collectivism so much when it's only reinforcing race-hatred and bigotry?

Look at Sup Forums and look at Tumblr, these places feed each other endlessly. There's no stop to it. It's driving me fucking insane, and it's all because of broad, bogus shit like "cultural appropriation".

No

Nice argument.

Cuck

t. Prisoner DNA

people have been complaining about "cultural appropriation" for a long time, but what is the actual problem?

it's the natural effect of globalization, which is pushed by the same people who whine about cultural appropriation

Prove it

This is actually true, and it's boggling my mind.

It's patently obvious these people just want an ideologically homogeneous world rather than an actual, properly "diverse" one.

The people I most hear whine about cultural appropriation are the people who don't believe it exists, or matters.

Sargon Of Akkad? Is that you?

hardly. stefani's bindi/harajuku girls, redskins, iggy, halloween costumes, native american headdresses in photo shoots, etc. and the countless other examples of people freaking out over "cultural appropriation" massively outweigh the whining of those who say it doesn't exist.

Then they should stop appropriating culture?

culture is artificially defined in a world of globalization. appropriation/assimilation is inevitable with the extent of acculturation we have today

Who the fuck uses emojis on Sup Forums?

"""she"""

>Musicians

>Say I never struggled, wasn't hungry, yeah I doubt it

>not a musician,but definately an artist
>artist
more like asstist, amirite :^)?

:^)

Is there a logical reason to give a shit about your culture being appropriated?

People like to find ways to have power over others and shame outgroups. Being upset about "cultural appropriation" is a manifestation of that. Since it's encouraged by authority figures, it proliferates.

They never bring up the fact that these are the same groups who were living a neo or paleolithic lifestyle only a few generations ago and their entire lives are dominated by aspect of the host culture they claim is appropriating their culture.

I don't know what you mean. Can you please go into greater detail?

>Hillary lost the election
As if this fucking matters. Half of the liberals hate her anyway.

>Emojis
Really? People call them this?
Sad

:^(

There's nothing wrong with appropriation per se as long as you respect the people and culture you're appropriating. But trying to cash in, caricaturizijg, and misappropriating is what's wrong.

People are too sensitive. If your culture can't stand up to that, it shouldn't exist.

Do idiots actually think every culture in the world hasn't been formed by a combination of many other, older cultures?

>Sensitive about others being sensitive
Wew lad
>If your culture can't stand up to that, it shouldn't exist.
Well too fucking bad :^)

Awfully ironic considering you're so upset at people calling out appropriation

Yes. People are actually that fucking stupid.

I'm not upset, I'm just remarking on how stupid and weak it is. People like you always strawman perspectives because you have nothing else. The word cultural appropriation and the concept wasn't even in the societal lexicon less than 10 years ago.

So what if it wasn't? New ideas are incorporated and introduced on the daily and it will keep happening well into the future.

It was tho

Doesn't mean anyone has to go along with it. It's a stupid concept, completely ignores that all cultures are an amalgamation of other cultures and that the cultures who most often complain about this are almost entirely composed of the majority culture.

People still have never heard the term, it's very new outside of social science academia, at least how seriously people take it.

Do you not realize people can participate in both and still be critical?

You can't complain that people are "stealing" your culture when your own culture is almost entirely someone else's.

Did you not understand or do you need to reread and/or gain some reading comprehension?

who gives a shit about any of it lol

The post your quoting is not one I disagree with, are you sure you picked the right one? I think the whole concept of cultural appropriation is bullshit. All cultures appropriate from others.

emoticons*

Yeah, people who expect celebrities to agree with them politically and morally are retarded, plain and simple. Political correctness has no place in artistic expression.

>Endorsed by lil Wayne before signing or releasing a full length album
>Toured with Lil Wayne with just a mixtape to his name
>Started his very early career by doing a song in an episode for Degrassi

Nigga the fuck is you saying for real?

Yep I choose the right one.
All cultures definitely do not, ideas, technology, language (culture) can and is exchanged, but not disrespected.

>the privilege of white australians

there's nothing privileged about alcoholism and having a borderline retarded iq user

Cultures have been borrowing from each other for aeons. Most of our Western world is the product of appropriating a variety of cultures. Thus if individuals are interested in exploring cultures outside of their own, they should be free to do so; and critised if they do so in bad taste and aim to mock rather than celebrate.
Iggy is just a product of Hollywood music executives looking for a passable, bankable "pop" star that appeals to the kiddies. Nothing more nothing less.

this is literally a non problem
people should be free to "appropriate" any culture they want and others should be free to give them shit and ostracize them for it(without causing physical harm) if they want. as long as it's not sanctioned by the state, it's all fine.

Ding ding ding
We have a winner.