Yo Sup Forums any tech people out there? What would i benefit more from. I have an i5 4670 and a GTX 970...

Yo Sup Forums any tech people out there? What would i benefit more from. I have an i5 4670 and a GTX 970. Should i buy an i7 6700K or a GTX 1070?

Other urls found in this thread:

videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce GTX 970
videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce GTX 1070
tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,4572-6.html
tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,4585-3.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

buy a fuck yourself
faggot

No you dumb fuck.

With Nvidia, it goes like this:
First (or first two, with the 1000 series) number is the series, second two numbers (7xx 8xx etc) are the model.

The models across different series have VERY similar performance. Compare a 670 to a 770 and then a 770 to a 970, mainly youll see efficiency increases, and FPS increases of about 15-20 per series increase.

When the first number (x70 x90) or first two if its a 10xx series, is higher, it is more efficient, when the second number is higher, it is more powerful (more or less).

It is negligible to upgrade from any series without increasing the model as well. A 970 to a 1070 isnt a big increase in performance, however a 970 to a 1080 would be.

the i5 to i7 is somewhat worth it, but not really.

Source: I have an
i5-2500k @ 4.2 ghz
EVGA SC 770 4GB GDDR

And it is similarly as powerful as your "i5 4670 and a GTX 970" rig.

That is, assuming no OC.

Your current set up is kind of nice, i wouldnt buy anything new until the newer stuff is significantly better. If you really want to upgrade tho, go for the GPU. You probably arent even using your current CPU to the max, but a better GPU is always handy.

1080 it is then.

If you can afford it, getting a 1080 is definitely a good idea.

Getting the i7 would be the best future proof upgrade you can get. Not only that but the 970 is is still quite the formidable gpu and it can still make most games at 1080p. As a matter of fact your cpu most likely bottlenecks your gpu in some cases. So I would recommend a 6700k. But that's just my opinion take it with salt

What on earth are you on about?

Go do the comparisons yourself.

The series is efficiency changes really, not much performance.

Go compare a 770 to a 970, theyre about the same lol.

Getting a better CPU is definitely not a bad idea, but even a 4670K probably isn't a bottleneck. Currently games don't utilize CPU that much so getting a better GPU instead will be a far better improvement than an better CPU. As far as i5 and i7 go, there's no point in getting an i7 unless you really NEED hyperthreading (which in gaming you dont).

OP, what do you use your PC for anyway?

4670*

This is so bullshit that you obviously have no fucking idea what you are saying.

WTF 970 to 1070 is over 50% faster in 2K you dumb fuck.

OP said the i5 4670. So he can't oc so that takes ALOT of performance. So I still recommend the i7

keep the CPU and just change the GPU if needed ... not much difference from 980 and 1080. You can overclock the CPU if needed but the i5 shouldnt cap with the 1080 GPU.

Autism

more?

Yea I typed K out of habit, I have the 4670K myself. but still, I don't believe the CPU especially a 4670 will bottleneck anytime soon.

You fucking idiot again. I have a 980ti and will be looking to upgrade to 1080. It's almost 30% faster, not +30 frames but +30%. Fucking newfangled summerfag

Go to GPUBoss right now, Hell even go to Newegg

Compare the specs, right now go and do it. The clock rates are usually different, GPixel rates are a noticeable increase, but really the perforamnce isnt much of a change.

Look it up you pleb.

How can this many faggots own nvidia cards and not know this shit. My 770 is easily comparible to a 970. Easily.

Its 15% more efficient, and 18% faster, look it up

That combination will run just about everything out there at 60 FPS with max settings. Unless you plan to use VR or 4k, don't bother upgrading for another few years.

>GPUboss

>GPixel

Are you baiting right now? GPUboss is utter shit. And pixel fill rates haven't been important for quite some time now.

Thats my point dumbfuck, that an increased GPixel is the only noticeable change and that doesnt do shit.

You are an idiot. Look at the fucking chart. You're suck an idiot that it amazes me how you remember to breathe. For example 970 is 25 frames, 1080 is more than double that.

Idiot. Utter fucking autism idiot.

wrong my friend.

videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce GTX 970

videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce GTX 1070

You can shove that bullshit sites benchmarks up your ass. Check out some proper sites like tomshardware etc. the idiot autism is strong in you my manlet fat fuck.

>PCGamer benchmarks

As I even said in the fucking post you wastes of IQ didnt read, a 970 to 1070 is more of an increase, however a 970 to 1080 is a bigger jump.

They broke the trend for one series lol. You guys must not be in the market at all. Nvidia from 400-900 had the same pattern. A 570 is equivalent to a 670 except a 670 is more efficient.

the 670 is definitely better than the 570, but marginally. A 770 is better than a 670, marginally, a 770 is much better than a 570.

But upgrading one series doesnt do shit.

You guys must be the dumbasses who SLI because benchmarks show its good, then you realize only (on avg) 30% of your other GPU is used.

You guys dont seem to understand efficiency.

its not 50% increase in performance tho - more like 35% at best. why are you so mad? go jerk off to my little pony you will feel better

Just to add on, typically, a one series increase is about a 15-25% performance/efficiency increase.

Just like how SLI and Crossfire are known for having around 30% efficiency (unless we're talking Titans, which are made to be SLI'd), yet idiots still buy multiple 770s pretending its better than one 980

You have fantasies so grand normal people probably don't even talk to your dumb ass. What you just said was mostly correct except it was not.

hes actually spot on sperglord

I like how you genuinely thought that one series change would result in 50% performance increase.

Where's the money in that? NVidia goes bankrupt after listening to this fuckhead user.

Look it up you micropeenboy. This is how the market has been. If you honestly think that your 970-1070 is more than 50% of an increase, how the fuck would that profit for NVidia?

OP honestly please just go to
So I dont have to argue with idiots about GPU efficiency. Seriously.

See? This guy fucking gets it.

tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,4572-6.html

There you have a proper site you fucking sperglords. Show me a fucking benchmark where anything you idiots just said works? You can't can you? Fucking dumbasses.

>implying a benchmark accurately reflects the performance of a GPU alone.

Youre fucking dumb dude.

Nah, the 6700k won't be that crazy of a performance boost for gaming, and the 1070 isn't worth it unless you find someone to buy your old 970

Upgrading from an i5 to an i7 for gaming is retarded.

Spend your money on a gpu upgrade.

Even with an upgrade from 970 to 1070 its not worth the money.

Lol. You are so fucking out there I wish we didn't live on this same planet. They use the same system to test everything. Why the fuck do you care about anything else Than ACTUAL performance? You're so fucking stupid it's funny.

A sane man here. As he said.

jokes on you i aint clickin dat shit nigga

The only real answers here

Hey dumbfuck, youre posting 1080s, not 1070s.

Hes actually spot on.

a 1080, just like a 980, is pretty much two 1070s, just like how a 980 is pretty much two 970s.

980 to 1080 is the trendkiller. But if you knew anything about GPUs, you'd know that theyre made specially different than teh rest of the series.

>actual performance
>uses a benchmark to compare a 1080 to a 970
>is surprised the 1080 is stronger by high margin

are you dumb?

It's all explained in the site , please follow the link and educate yourself you fucking fat fuck.

Oh btw lemme add that
this post is correct as to why youre autistic

I dont think you realize the grave youre digging yourself in rn

Buy a GTX 1060 since it is as powerful as a 980 and is cheaper than a 970

Bullshit again.

tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,4585-3.html

These guys don't care about the actual performance of the card as they're autistic. Check the links, there's a definite jump from 970 to 1070 especially if you game on a higher res monitor.

>tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,4585-3.html
>970 doesnt show up on the benchmarks.

With higher monitors, totally. But even then, do you honestly think its worth the money for such an upgrade? Its no more than 50%

Money? Is that a factor here? I thought we were talking about performance? Cheap ass motherfuckers can go fuck themselves. And I bet you can safely say the 970 is slower than 980 gtx, even the charts already blow your bullshit out of the water with the 980 gtx vs. 1070

what do you want to use it for? if it's just gaming then there's no point in upgrading unless you're trying to push 2k-4k resolutions or multi monitor displays.

If you're rendering then it's an either/or toss-up.
If you're manipulating large amounts of data you want the CPU.

Basically, wtf are you doing with it?

I never said 970 to 980, I said 970 o 770.

Dude are you fucking stupid? Dont you know the 980 is almost 2 970s? Do you think thats a trend you dumbass? That a 970 is 2 960s?

Oh my god we have an amateur here.

No. You are fucking idiotic. It's not a trend in when you look the new cards. If you want to compare a 770 which is ancient to 970 which is also old and useless, then do it. However your two anything shit is bullshit. You are so fucking out of PC shit you should just kys

I want to play counter strike at a higher frame rate

980 and 970 have basically the same die.

What about going from a 960 to a 1060?

960 has 2gb ram while 1060 has 6. That must be a significant upgrade right?

One of these idiots will tell you 1060 is 2x 960. That idiot should go and fuck themselves.

best options:

buy another 970

sell your 970 and buy two 980ti's used. inb4 you can't buy used it'll die, i buy used gpu's all the time.

to all the sli and cf haters, don't knock it until you try it. been running 2 290x's for a while now and shit is cash.

Single gpu is always preferred to sli. I had an sli rig years ago, maybe the drivers have gone better but atleast a few years ago the support was bad as fuck.

>my setup

Go for i7

>triple dubs

probably depends mostly on what games you play, the witcher 3 is maxed out and fluid as fuck on my setup. same for insanely modded skyrim. yeah drivers have come a long way but when you can take a game from 25-40 fps and go to damn near 60 fps all the time it's worth dealing with any frame timing issues to me.

ITT wannabetechlords
Gaming - get the 1070.
Not Gaming - get the i7.
Disclaimer: getting the i7 will require a new motherboard because gen 4 processors are LGA 1150 socket and gen 6 are LGA1151.

Also: GTX 1060 is 11% higher performing than GTX970 (single)

Dont go SLI, I'm not even going to get into explaining why, just don't do it. But thats been mentioned already.

Replying to my own post.
Getting the i7 will probably prompt the requirement for new RAM as well, as most LGA1151 socket mobos have DDR4 DIMM slots.

sli/cf is pretty much the only option when you have a high end card and want more performance. no shit you probably shouldn't ideally cf/sli two low-mid range cards but you also can't buy a 1090 or 1180 any time soon either.

i've been tempted to tri fire, once my cards get even cheaper i will.

then again i have lots of different computers and some of you fags are just barely getting into it and can only afford one nice thing and that's cool too.

>mfw i have a gaming pc at work i don't even have time to play on anymore

Exactly! Wait for the 770 is 100x1070 x2 x5 bullshit guy.