Do fans of metal music look down on the genre's classic bands- Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc...

Do fans of metal music look down on the genre's classic bands- Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, etc.- the same way many fans of rock music look down on bands like Led Zeppelin, The Who, and Cream? A common warcry of those opposed to such bands is dadrock, do metal fans feel similarly about the many both popular and important groups to their music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9aQvjMS60&list=RDXg9aQvjMS60#t=29
youtu.be/jhgEQMShj14
youtube.com/watch?v=TkvwpXGYfHY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No

I dunno but tell me what modern rock/metal bands will be as fondly remembered as the classics?

>the same way many fans of rock music look down on bands like Led Zeppelin, The Who, and Cream

All of these bands are revered by most rock fans, get off of Sup Forums more often

No

also, putting down The Who, get fucked

Only the most contrarian of faggots do. Most recognize those three as the most important bands, even if they're not necessarily their personal favorites.

No I listen almost exclusively to metal and punk and I frequent the metal threads, I always see Sabbath and Iron Maiden treated with reverence (deserved IMO). While there are plenty of metal hipsters they usually don't shit on classic bands like regular rock music hipsters do

I'm not referring to 'most' rock fans, I'm referring to the 'many' that do this. Don't deny there's a sizeable reaction against 'classic rock' nowadays with how people make fun of shit like school of rock or guitar hero-core, or that this kind of making fun is limited to Sup Forums or even the internet.

Not in real life

Led Zeppelin sucked from day one. The Who Cream, and the stones were the fathers of rock.

Sabbath is sacred under ozzy or Dio, Mauden has always been rad, and Metallica has always sucked massive chode

I don't think I know anybody who shits on Sabbath, Maiden or even 80s Metallica. That's because they are important figures in metal and anybody who thinks they suck are probably hating it because they think it's cool to hate.

>not including Priest
objectively the most important band in metal after Sabbath

Whoops, forgive me, I didn't mean to forget em

Not him, but fuck Priest. Sabbath and Maiden are cool, though.

>Judas Priest
>most important band in metal after Sabbath
That's not even close to true, and you know it.

It's absolutely true and you know it.

Maiden is directly influenced by Priest though.

>Judas Priest
>second most important metal band
Maybe for image or something. I would put Motorhead or Mercyful Fate above them.

>Mercyful Fate
>more important than Priest

Who do you think Mercy got the twin guitars and wailing screams from?

The Who and Cream shaped rock. They're not in the same league as Led Zeppelin.
Agreed.

I respect older bands, but that doesn't mean they're above any form of criticism.

>What's Venom

As ironic as it might sound, I think A7X and FFDPwill be remembered.

Blue Oyster Cult are the greatest band to ever exist and if anyone disagrees I will find out where they live, punch them square in the face, and dump a copy of their entire discography, including the two songs they did for movie soundtracks.

No, those bands are awesome

The metal scene is one of the genres where the whole "Le Wrong Generation" is actually true the older metal bands are much better than the current ones.

nothing interesting has happened in metal for like 20 years and the few things that have are despised by the metal community, they don't have a choice but to worship the classics

hipster rock fans have the whole 90s revival and the slew of indeh bands to be their canon so they can afford to shit on the 70s

hell no, you have to respect the greats for starting what has become the modern scene. as a prog snob, maiden, metallica, and zeppelin are all dope. in small doses tho.

>Led Zeppelin sucked from day one.
you're a fucking idiot

>Led Zeppelin didn't shape rock

what kind of stupid fucking shithole do you come from? were you purposely trained to be as stupid and contrarian as possible from birth? fucking seems like it because you're a genuine retard

reverence for the canon is a huge part of being part of the metal community- the hipster mentality is very much looked down on.

>led Zeppelin
>sucked from day one

The fuck man? They're like the greatest fucking rock band to grace the stage
Seriously, every person in that band is super next level
Plant is a fucking golden god

This

i think most metal fans are really into the calssics most of the time.

Fuck no. Metal is dad rock if you think about it. Led Zeppelin, The Who, and Cream are granddad rock. No insult intended.

Modern Metal suffers from being overcomplicated and overproduced. Sometimes even just overplanned as weird as it sounds.
It loses the spirit of what made metal so appealing in the first place.
Its not about cookie monster voices, rapid guitar solos, heavy drums, and emo lyrics.

Its about a bunch of dudes taking hard rock up a notch, fucking about with fun solos and crowd-pleasing sequences, and writing songs about whatever you like. Whether it be a song based on a book or poem you like, ancient mythology, science fiction, your own fucked up tales, or social commentary/parody etc.

Some bands still get it, but many are obsessed with technical wankery.
Metal has always been about the stage performance as much as the songs themselves.

Watch Dio live. Ronnie James Dio is an amazing showman who knows how to get a crowd hyped up and set up a stage.

Look at Rammstein too. They got qualifications in pyrotechnics just so they could fuck about with fire on stage.
Thats dedication to the craft.

>Look at Rammstein too

wow, that whole post was just setup for this line? pretty funny tbf

angry samefag

dotted line

heavy metal is kinda gay and homoerotic music which inspires the hidden queer in metalheads.

Not at all. If anything, it's the complete opposite - fans without reverence for the classics are seen as posers.

I feel like Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin are overrated even if they're pretty good
I personally don't give damn about The Who
Cream deserves all the attention they get though

Judas Priest is definitely the second most influential metal band.

Not only is Bruce Dickinson married with three children, he can drive a tank and fly airplanes. You're guaranteed to be heterosexual after listening to this.
youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9aQvjMS60&list=RDXg9aQvjMS60#t=29

All 3 are definitely important.

Personally find Maiden the most overrated/overhyped.. mostly because there are so many people who just 'love' Iron Maiden, buy the merchandise, and refuse to check out or appreciate much new music but will listen to Iron Maiden 24/7... I find that kind of boring.

They definitely have some really good albums back in their heyday, and tons of killer tunes, but my least fave out of the 3 for that reason. The new albums I've never been too bothered about. Saying that, I haven't even listened to Metallica's new album either.

Black Sabbath 70s stuff is great, really heavy for the time and brings da riffs.

Judas Priest probably my favourite because their whole discography is extremely diverse.

I think it's great that metal has evolved in such a way to become what modern metal is now.

>Its about a bunch of dudes taking hard rock up a notch, fucking about with fun solos and crowd-pleasing sequences, and writing songs about whatever you like. Whether it be a song based on a book or poem you like, ancient mythology, science fiction, your own fucked up tales, or social commentary/parody etc.
This is mostly true. I think it's wrong to say that metal is only this, but the best metal songs aren't guitar wankery. It's stuff like The Trooper and Holy Wars.
Now I'm probably going to be crapped on for this, but my favorite metal band is Babymetal. They are incredible performers, and their music doesn't focus on fitting into a mold. They do what they want to. I saw footage of their sold out concerts at Tokyo Dome (110,000 people over two nights) and it's some of the best metal music I've seen. I can't wait to see them in concert again.

>Babymetal
The music is pretty good while unoriginal, but the vocals are beyond annoying. I don't get why people like them at all.

>and the few things that have are despised by the metal community

You mean the Hatebreed -core type of bands. I find them obnoxious as fuck because they forgot to have any kind of pop sensibility like the 70s-80s bands did. It's just an ugly wall of noise with no hooks or sense of dynamics.

Maiden are overhyped because they had very few good songs in their 250 albums.

Its just music
If you like it listen to it if not don't.
Everything else in this whole board is just intellectual masturbation.

Why the fuck are you here?

The problem is that the evolution of metal practically stopped with Pantera and nobody has been able to move past mock-Phil Anselmo vocals and nu metal chugga chugga guitars.

Only dickheads and kids trying to be cool hate Maiden

>Nothing interesting in the last 20 years
>What was the NWOAHM
Mastodon, Lamb of God, Machine Head

mastodon, opeth, neurosis, isis, boris and electric wizard were all great in their prime and are absolutely detested by metal purists for being 'hipster metal'/ not real metal etc. oh except electric wizard, who are the most indebted to sabbath

metal has the most cancerous fanbase in all of music

I haven't heard much Opeth at all. I love Mastodon and early DT. Any recommendations?

I'd add Shadows Fall to the list, one of the few bands who did metalcore right: thrashy but very melodic at the same time. Their album Retribution is quite something.

In theory, metal is today's real rock and roll--the music of the people. It's basic, it's rude, kids love it, parents hate it. But the closer you look, the stupider and more delusory it seems. Metal isn't basic--it cultivates a pseudo-virtuosity that negates content. The dreams it promulgates are usually foolish and often destructive. Eighty per cent of the "people" who like it are male, and 98 per cent of them are white.

Aaaand thread ruined. Go home people.

Christgau only likes short, simple, upbeat songs that have a message he agrees with.

literally nothing wrong with this

>A FUCKING WHITE MALE

>It's just an ugly wall of noise with no hooks or sense of dynamics.

wrong

>FFDP
They have one good song that I'm aware of. I've tried listening to some others but I don't really care for them.

The good song: youtu.be/jhgEQMShj14

I'm fairly fond of A7x. They have good melodies in their solos and choruses and things and I don't really care one way or another about their pseudo glam rock GnR ish appearance.

I will always love Maiden and Priest. Never cared for Anthrax or Slayer much.

Guy who plays in a shitty metalcore band detected.

In theory, Robert Christgau is today's real rock and roll critic--the critic of the people. He's basic, he's rude, kids love him, parents hate him. But the closer you look, the stupider and more delusory he seems. Christgau isn't basic--his reviews cultivate a pseudo-virtuosity that negates content. The dreams he promulgates are usually foolish and often destructive. Eighty per cent of the "people" who like him are male, and 98 per cent of them are white.

8/10

You think they're annoying, I think they're great. I'll admit for a while I hated the two younger one's voices, but I got used to it and actually like it now. And Su's voice is seriously one of the best in the genre.

>ywn be her groupie

Sabbath, Maiden and Priest are just about the biggest Metal bands there are.

Priest are a lot more important than Motorhead, and Mercyful Fate owe everything to bands like Priest and Maiden.

>I've never l listened to Sad Wings, Stained Class, Sin After Sin, or Hell Bent for Leather

nah, metalcore has plenty of hooks though. and dynamics are in the tempo changes and all sorts of shit. think mosh parts/breakdowns etc.

but seriously, there are so many verse/chorus metalcore artists that are basically pop bands covered in metal clothing.

just saying that your description is wrong and just a result of your inherit bias towards the genre

if anything the description is more grindcore/noisecore which on Sup Forums appears has more respect than metalcore, you just have no idea what you're talking about

also i like both metalcore and grindcore so whatever

not with that attitude

DAD METAL FUCKING SUCKS AND EVERYONE PRAISING IT ITT ABSOLUTLEY NEED TO FUCKING KILL THEMSELVES

This

>the same way many fans of rock music look down on bands like Led Zeppelin, The Who, and Cream
The only people who do this are faggot hipsters that only listen to /Indie/

I would start with Ghost Reveries, personally I feel it's their most accessible album during their golden years. Then check out Blackwater Park, and Still Life. That makes their three best albums. Watershed is a close fourth for me. Damnation/Deliverance are great too.

ABBATHED

I gotta say, the old warrior can still belt it on a good night.

Any "metal fan" that looks down on Maiden, Sabbath, or Priest isn't a real metal fan and deserves to be beaten until he sees the error of his ways. Especially Sabbath, the first dedicated heavy metal band. You should always respect the ancestry/history or whatever genre you're passionate about.

>Fuck Priest

Poser faggot.

Rob has been performing quite good in the past 3 years, but he was awful around 2009 and looked like he was dying at a lot of gigs.

This. There are certain things you don't hate on as a true metal fan. Bands like the 3 OP mentioned are prime examples.

He's lucky he can still get up on stage at all given decades of intense live performances, screaming at the top of his lungs, drugs, alcohol, and gay sex.

I look down on butt rock shit, but classic "metal" (I'd call it hard rock personally) like Iron Maiden is pretty great. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is still one of my all time favorite albums without a doubt.

But I think putting Iron Maiden in the same basket as Judas Priest is an insult to the superior band.

Halford gave up booze and drugs in the mid-80s after his boyfriend committed suicide in front of him and he checked into rehab. He's been clean for over 30 years now.

What kind of metal fan doesn't like Sabbath, Priest and Maiden? They're posers.
Sabbath and Priest especially have plenty of different sounds and are huge influences to pretty much every metal band. Listen to Master of Reality or Sad Wings of Destiny and tell me you don't hear something amazing. Master of Reality came out in '71 and it's so goddamn heavy for its time.
I'm not the biggest fan of Maiden but I like select songs and Di'Anno's albums.

Saw them in 2008 on the Nostradamus tour and he was pretty good. Hit some good screams, especially in Painkiller. This is it actually: youtube.com/watch?v=TkvwpXGYfHY @4:30. You have to admire that.

>tfw Immortal opened for them but I didn't listen to them at the time and missed it

Rob can still deliver the goods (bad pun I know), it seems more like Glenn Tipton is starting to fall apart. The poor guy is doubled up in pain when he plays, especially during solos. Guess his hands are finally giving out.

He should go to that German doctor who treated Eddie Van Halen and Tony Iommi. Both of them have been playing really good recently after having hand troubles some years ago.

Why look down upon the founding fathers that's beyond idiotic...
I look down upon certain bands certain old school metal bands that are now just embarasssing to associate with A.K.A what is metallica ?!

>Metallicorporation

At least they don't still pretend they're relevant unlike Iron Maiden who just need to give up already.

Why? Iron Maiden just seems to be having fun and they obviously know their past their prime but they're following their passions.

The Japanese absolutely love Judas Priest fwiw.

Metal is a very visual form of music and Japan is a very visual culture.

And...they love their...fantasy epics.

Megadeth need to give up desu.

while i might not be a huge fan of bands any more i still respect their impact on thee the genre

with iron maiden and judas priest bringing more melody and storytelling to the table
and black sabbath inspiring like 8 different sub genres

If they do, they're simply not real fans of Metal. It is a genre that pays homage to it's "gods", instead of dismissing or insulting them.

>rappers don't venerate NWA and Tupac

I would say it's understandable not to be a fan of heavy metal, as in that specific genre of metal music, but I don't think the vast majority of self-proclaimed metal fans look down on those bands.