Still Harvest Moon.

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Can't disagree.

Best of all : Live At Massey Hall

best studio album: After the Gold Rush

Harvest
On The Beach
Zuma

why is this cocksucker still making music?

I haven't explored much of his discography, but Tonight's the Night is my favorite. I should listen to the other two albums of the Ditch Trilogy.
Harvest and After the Goldrush are great but they sound like, for a lack of a better word, "basic" 70s classic albums. I feel like TTN capture a more personal state of mind, and a more mature and laidback Neil.

Tonight's the Night

because of you

Harvest
Zuma

Gold Rush, Beach and Tonight are all pretty good but they seem to lack something compared to those three. The songwriting isn't quite as good and maybe a bit less catchy

yup, that and Greendale

it's a bit more blues-wankey, but i like rockin neil best

>Best of all : Live At Massey Hall
This.

Almost everything up to the mid-90s has at least some interesting/redeeming qualities. Forget his later career albums of being a grumpy old guy whining about politics.

>not posting On the Beach immediately
lads, you need sit down and think about what you have said. repent, my sons.

Best over all
Déjà vu

best solo
Harvest

somehow massey hall has the best version of most of his songs - old man moving to journey through the past, just him and the song, no need for a rock band to back him up
only problem is the clapping and cheering from the autistic audience

I guess that just goes to show you Grace Slick was right that rock stars should quit at 50, if Neil's last worthwhile album (Mirror Ball) came out just as he was turning 50.

Grace Slick was a frontperson, on par with Scott Weiland in terms of looking pretty on camera
who cares what they think

Neil can do whatever he wants

>still no mention of Arc

Crosby, Stills, and Nash [Atlantic, 1969]

Rated by request, I've written elsewhere that this album is perfect, but that is not necessarily a compliment. Only David Crosby's vocal on "Long Time Gone" saves it from a special castrati award. Pray for Neil Young. B+

CSN [Atlantic, 1977]

Wait a second, wasn't this a quartet? D+

American Dream [Atlantic, 1988]

Take this album for what it pretends to be, and to a certain extent is--four diehard hippies expressing themselves. Poor old guys can't leave politics alone--there's more ecology and militarism on here than back when they were princes of pop rebellion. Not that that's a reason to pay Graham Nash's ditties any mind, or that Stephen Stills's steady state ego isn't reinforced by stray references to judges. On the other hand, David Crosby's cocaine confessional makes "Almost Cut My Hair" seem self-abnegating, and Neil Young adds musical muscle and gains commercial muscle back. So not as bad as you'd think, nor worth giving a second thought to. C+

Thousand Roads [Atlantic, 1993]

David Crosby lends new meaning to the word "survivor", meaning "if you can't kill the motherfucker, at least make sure he doesn't breed" and until VH1 got onto the revolting "Heroes" video, I'd hoped I could safely ignore this piece of make-work for his rich, underemployed friends. Oh well. The only thing that could render it more self-congratulatory would be a cover of Jefferson Black Hole's "We Built This City". C-

Looking Forward [Reprise, 1999]

Right, like you didn't already know. Although I pray Y will render the title tune hopeful instead of smug, I know in the back of my mind that I'll hear N harmonizing insipidly behind him. And when S explains how when he was young, old people were wrong and now that he's old, young people are wrong and then proceeds to diss overfed talking heads while ignoring overfed exhead C next to him, part of me wishes some computer nerd with more brains than smarts joins the arms race just to get even. Still a menace and still conceited about it after all these years. C+

I think the same as you but inverse, I think the 3 albums you named in the first part are the ones that are lacking something

>and until VH1 got onto the revolting "Heroes" video

I've never seen this video, but what exactly is so bad about it?

Basically David Crosby whining about how terrible and unfair it was that he did time in jail for drug and weapons charges. One of the most douchebaggy, self-absorbed songs (and videos) I've ever seen. Christgau was definitely right on this one.

Can't choose between these three:

After the Gold Rush
On the Beach

its like mumford and sons but for hippies

On the beach imo)

Everybody's Rockin' [Geffen, 1983]

If Ronnie and Nancy are the only everybodies rockin' by name on the less than rousing title finale, then maybe what Neil means to say is that basic rockabilly isn't worth too much all by its lonesome. I agree, but expect the argument would be more convincing if Neil plus Ben Keith could match Brian Setzer chop for chop. The covers are redundant or worse, as are all but two of the originals. I hope Robert Gordon or somebody rescues "Kinda Fonda Wanda." And I hope Neil realizes that for all the horrible truth of "Payola Blues," nobody's three thou's gonna get this on top forty. Time: 24:36. List: $8.98. C-

Le Noise and Psychedelic Pill were great.

rust never sleeps

if dubs neil young dies before 2017

:(

Fantastic response to punk rock I might add, also his live shows from that period were among his best.