ITT: The Elder Scrolls

ITT: The Elder Scrolls

Which game is the best installment of the series, and why is it Morrowind?

>no quest markers
>limited fast travel
>game isn't a pushover - you're fucked if you don't create a good character
>more melee weapons
>more ranged weapons
>spellmaking
>daedric artifacts are more powerful
>greater sense of adventure and exploration
>tons of factions that require more than completing a dull questline to gain ranks
>performing tasks is based on skill and chance, not by completing stupid minigames
>being able to fail creating potions & enchanting weapons - more realistic this way
>acrobatics
>athletics
>mysticism
>no load times
>numerous and detailed dialogue options from most NPCs
>anyone can be killed
>quests can be ignored/denied
>enemies are not usually leveled

Other urls found in this thread:

elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Umbra_Sword_(Morrowind)
youtu.be/UAakwqJbH_o?t=45
youtube.com/watch?v=NF-XMtNEudQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Love morrowind.

/Thread

So many months of my life sunk into that masterwork

morrowind was too much for me, the combat wasn't fun and it took too long to do stuff. it was tedious. i liked exploring and stuff but it was overwhelming to me. maybe if i was older when it came out i would have liked it more

Agreed, best game of TES. Near perfect.
>inb4 samefag

morrowind is the fucking greatest Elder Scrolls game. It's not even fucking close.

were you a kid? That would explain it being overwhelming. I played Skyrim in 2012, Oblivion in 2014, Skyrim again this summer and just bought morrowind two weeks ago.

The combat definitely isn't as fluid as it is in oblivion or skyrim, but I like how RPG-ey it is. It's frustrating not being able to hit anything starting, but understandable since you aren't skilled with the weapon. Also the variety of melee attacks is cool. Combat is secondary in morrowind and isn't nearly as important and doesn't happen near as often as it does in oblivion or skyrim

You got the thread name wrong.

It should be:

"What is the best immersive RPG ever made, and why is it Morrowind?"

best that I've played, but I've only ever played TES and KOTOR so I don't know if I can have that opinion

i guess i played it when i was 13 but i don't remember

>also medium armor

Gotta love being able to create a fireball spell large enough to engulf all of Balmora.

This is something i can agree with.

But what do you think a close second could be for the series? Im stuck between Oblivian and skyrim.

I suspect most of the morrowind fanboys have more than a healthy dose of nostalgia. Its graphics are shit, its interface is shit, it crashes at the drop of a hat, and its interminable dialog trees aren't all that and a bag of chips. Some of the pure writing is nice, I'll grant.

But it tells by far the best story, has the most immersive world, and the lack of objective markers place you in a much more realistic kind of game, where you are just left to try and find locations on your own without the game holding your hand.

Also, Daedric weapons looked awesome back then.

I hate the way leveling works in oblivion. I think it's stupid being forced to play the game in a rigid way to keep my experience in the right places is boring and limits experimentation. Also the personality skill I think it was called was retarded and useless, was like a trap for experience more than anything else.

I bought it two weeks ago. No nostalgia at all.

Graphics are shit by today's standards. The gameplay makes up for it

It's crashed twice in 60 hours of playing time for me. One was random and the other was after using a scroll of icarian flight which probably made the game flip shit

I had more fun playing oblivion. It felt more immersive to me

bump

12yo detected

>no quest markers
You can turn them off in the other games.
>limited fast travel
Nobody is forcing you to use fast travel. You're literally getting triggered because people aren't being forced to play a walking simulator.
>game isn't a pushover - you're fucked if you don't create a good character
MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS
>more melee weapons
Maybe with barest vanilla Skyrim, but Dragonborn pushes it way over the top
>more ranged weapons
???
>spellmaking
This is your first legitimately good point.
>daedric artifacts are more powerful
You clearly haven't acquired them all for the other games
>greater sense of adventure and exploration
Objectively false, especially compared to Skyrim. Morrowind's atmosphere just doesn't hold up well
>tons of factions that require more than completing a dull questline to gain ranks
This is your second legitimate point.
>performing tasks is based on skill and chance, not by completing stupid minigames
So dialog choices "by chance" is bad in Fallout 4, but great in Morrowind?
Fucking Retard.
>being able to fail creating potions & enchanting weapons - more realistic this way
It literally isn't though
>acrobatics
Shit
>athletics
Worse system than in Skyrim
>mysticism
I would say its about equal to Skyrim's
>no load times
You can't have an opinion on this if you're using a toaster. I get 5-10 second load times in Skyrim
>numerous and detailed dialogue options from most NPCs
Every NPC LITERALLY has the exact same dialog prompts. Every NPC in Skyrim has unique dialog.
>anyone can be killed
Skyrim's "NPCs always active" system prevents this. Enjoy getting an essential NPC killed and being unable to continue the quest :^)
>quests can be ignored/denied
They can also be in Skyrim
What's wrong with leveled enemies? You like being a superoverpowered moron past level 20?

Don't get me wrong, I love both games tho

>autism

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

NO

>not daggerfall
fucking casuals

Woah you just debunked his whole argument in one words :0

>more autism
>side of reddit

The thing about Morrowind's combat is that it is almost perfect for the type of game it is. It's an RPG game, true and true. Not an action RPG game like Skyrim. As such, most people who bitch about it are just idiots who don't understand this.

The beauty in Morrowind's combat is that it perfectly summarizes your characters growth. There's nothing more satisfying than entering a dungeon, having your ass raped up and down sideways, and then leaving, training, then coming back to the dungeon and destroying everything inside of it.

In Morrowind you are presented the opportunity to go from a nobody faggot nigger who can't fight a rat to fighting a fucking god at the end. It's awesome. You become a badass. Unlike in Skyrim where you start as a badass.

This is also one of the reasons why Skyrim is so boring and static.

I could go on and on about this too but I'll save everyone time and just end the post right now.

You got me le Reddit army is here to TROLL all you fricking idiots who can't formulate an argument in a video game thread XD.

you can't find shit if you turn quest markers off because you don't have a journal

adventuring, not walking

missing is part of sucking at the skill

?

throwing stars and crossbows

the only useful daedric artifacts in skyrim are azura's star and the skeleton key. everything else, especially the weapons, blows

no adventure bc fast travel and not using journal directions to find locations

never said anything about fallout 4

you can fuck up at doing anything dude

how can you not like acrobatics

or athletics?

skyrim has no mysticism dipshit

no load times > load times. skyrim has a shit ton more load times too

unique dialogue in skyrim but usually not helpful

if you kill an essential npc you are notified and can reload the save

talking to some people in skyrim will auto-start a quest. you can always say no and not have it take up space in your journal's quest section in morrowind

absolutely. it feels like you've actually made progress that way. also difficulty slider

You realize that Sup Forums is about calling you a retard with impunity and not about argumentation as if we were on reddit or in high school debate club, right kid? I don't need to form an argument for the fact that you're autistic to become apparent. All I have to do is to get you to reply like the butthurt socially broken adolescent you are.

Oblivion
Fucking with the athletics and acrobatics along with crazy stupis spells to become a super hero. Behold my sword that makes giant flashes of light for no reason. Tremble at a giant ass fireball that does practically no damage. Live on top of buildings causebyou can totally jump up there. Clear an oblivion gate? Fuck that! let those unholy rape monsters spawn andstealbthe souls from their flesh. Look at this ring that sets me on fire and these shoes that electrocute me, lol this hood has a built in air conditioner. Ow too cold. FUCKIN WEAKNESS TO MAGIC RUUUUUULZE

>percentage hit chances based on some arbitrary "skill" statistic makes it more of an RPG

>RPG: a game in which players take on the roles of imaginary characters who engage in adventures, typically in a particular computerized fantasy setting overseen by a referee.
Morrowind is literally for the autistic kids who played too much magic the gathering

Ooo you got me there mr. ebin meme man buzzword magician :^)

this

Morrowind and oblivion are for fallout 1, 2, and new vegasers. Skyrim is for fallout 3 and 4'rs

makes it more like classic board game RPGs where everything is determined by dice rolls

Millenials, everyone.

so i'm gonna try and help some people out w their morrowind experience....
yes, swinging and missing is GAY so....
Level using the master trainers before actually playing the game

step one
steal the items in the vivec house vaults, use the key in the redoran upper canton to unlock the redoran vault then make a level 100 lock opening enchant item with the soulgem in the balmora mages guild (steal by stealing a 2- gold pot next to the wood elf mage and pulling her downstairs when she chases you, reenter from the side stairs and sneak steal the tray, outside drop your inventory quick, find a guard and pay off the 2 gold bounty)

sell to creeper (or mudcrab if you can find him)
go to master trainers and power level

profit! plus because you'll be like level 25+ all the enemies will be top tier!

I love morrowind, if you need help with any walkthroughs ill be up for awhile and yall can AMA

honestly though, skyrim and oblivion were better rendered environments, the graphic experience was better even if morrowind had the better story and creative world

You realize there are subgenres, right?

my only problem with that is, i have never been able to create a viable ranged character, just due to the level 1-2 miss everything

Whoa man I thought I was the only one.

It wasn't just all that but,

For fucksake the 36 LESSONS OF VIVEC with subliminal messages hidden inside (not just a world but one with a lot of readable religious epics)

with living gods you can see,

Fucking elves are low voiced badasses

Z EVERYONE HATES YOU no holding your hand (makes success so much more rewarding) omg need to play again

No matter how you look at it, it sucks.

>niggers don't know about Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back

Percentage based combat and mtg. Oh okay I get it you're a moron.

>arena. The game has the entire tamriel omg such details. Every region is different

One of the greatest games ever

the in game books in morrowind were leagues better than any other in the series

>hurr im retarded and dont know how to play the game so its the game that is at fault
You are what is wrong with todays games.

your short blade skill is probably shit. if you want to hit people with a short blade you should've chosen it as a major skill

Using the wrong weapon for the character. Sorry I know you need everything handed to you on a plate when you game.

>anyone can be killed

One time

>create one of my first few characters
>read online about umbra sword elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Umbra_Sword_(Morrowind)

>guy that owns it wants to die in a fight
>im like lvl 5 at best
>try all sorts of things like necromancy and various magic attacks
>die repeatedly
>like 20 times
>skip dialog, sneak around rocky area
>find a good spot
>shoot him from a distance with a shitload of arrows
>no seriously, it took a while
>I killed him and looted his corpse and got my sword

Several other characters I made:

> goto balmora after start
>go into weapons shop
>save
>start wailing on shop keeper
>die 9 times out of 10
>keep trying until I kill him
>get all his loot and his shop

I'm not a nice person when I play RPG's

i've don't recall every having crashes, but honestly despite the cliff racers morrowind easily won me over, nostalgia aside, i found the general story and amount of time i have been able to sink in to exploration of the land much more immersive than skyrim or oblivion, but i liked all of them

Even the magic doesn't fucking work.

this

The core of Morrowind was amazing and it did extremely well with spellcrafting, magic in general, and fucking you in the ass if you so much as breath in the wrong monster's direction.

The mods still make my dick hard. Lichcraft, Illuminated Order, Better Bodies, ANYTHING from Fliggerty...

That said, it is a shit game by today's standards. No getting around it. It's shit in the same way Pokemon Blue is shit; it crashes easily, the ingame writing was mediocre, the game is buggy... but Morrowind is probably the most responsible for nurturing the Elder Scrolls following enough for Skyrim to have popped up at all. God knows Oblivion isn't where we got so many people liking the series.

If only they would port a TINY bit more off of Morrowind and Oblivion...Mods can make up for the deficiencies, but we shouldnt NEED the mods to get back what they originally gave us.

Dude them booms teach you thay Vivec got his ass rammed by Molag Bal, chopped off his dick, used it as a spear, and shoved it down azuras throat. Chim is OP as hell.

You're fucking retarded as fuck. Morrowind had some of the greatest spells and spellcrafting.

>soul trap glitch
>fly around like superman
>create huge magic spells

The only RPG character deserving to be called goku

well done OP, well done indeed. that fuckin main theme song will forever be in my memory as the music of the most glorious days of my adolescent life

bitches, sluts, hoes, alcoholism, chronic partying, smoking everybody elses weed for free. none of it compared to geting home late at night and popping Morrowind into the ole Xbox. the delicious icing on the cake of being a hormone-crazed youngster

Nah my first game was oblivion but vanilla oblivion.

I played morro with tribunal and blood moon I think it's much better than vanilla oblivion despite the graphics.

It's just the amount of freedom, difficulty, anyone can be killed (you're the fucking decider you're not just riding the quest rails, you can actually fail at becoming the hero and keep playing) plus the religious epics

And the unorthodox elven world. The dark brotherhood seemed like the NSA and not a ragtag bunch of emo robin hoods. The armors were awesome and had a steam punk/organic style to it in a way.

I just wish they'd let you join house dagoth and I was stoked about dwemer airships lol but I understand the game's content must be limited.

master trainers

you'll need that and a super powerful bow to 1-2 shot stuff so high enchant and destruction in a good idea

i play on xbox so it's good luck being able to line up a second shot with thumbsticks: one hit sneak shots or you're riding the pine pony

Lets not forget it had the most memorable storyline and writing in the entire Elder Scrolls series. Seriously; Skyrim and Oblivion may beat this game in technical aspects but I was so immersed in the world of Morrowind, immersed like no other game has immersed me before. The games plot, the landscape, the dunmer. Culture, setting, and plot intertwine to form the most elegant masterpiece I have had the pleasure of playing. [spoiler] Talking to Vivec at the end has still got to be one of my top moments in gaming to this day [/spoiler]

>trying to cast spells with 0 fatigue

no character creation tho

thanks for the tip, when i get time to sit down and sink several hours i'll start a character based on it

Fine, if both combat AND magic suck, I'll be a thief-- oh wait...

>Female orcs have 45 willpower
>Low as fuck destruction skill
>litteraly 0 fatigue
Yeah, I am certain that morrowind is the problem...

Oblivion is clearly the best

i see what your doing

dude get over it, low level sucks yes, agreed but once you grind up it's more than playable and enjoyable, don't like it don't play

it does take a significant time investment
>=2.5 days

well it will have to wait until i'm done with assignments then

I flipped shit when I read that lol. Never looked at vivec the same way after I found out he took it up the ass from that daedra.

Who would marry 'the king of rape'

gotta grind out that leveling, or master trainers

>realistic
>potions and enchantments

My fucking sides. What a retard

youtu.be/UAakwqJbH_o?t=45

how is it shit by today's standards? is it not packed with enough action?

almost all the bugs are fixed in the morrowind patch project. the only bug that has affected my game so far is merchants equipping random things when I sell to them and that doesn't affect gameplay at all and is easily fixable with console commands.

everyone else seems to think it never crashes. it's only crashed twice for me

oh god

PLEASE green text

youtube.com/watch?v=NF-XMtNEudQ

That talking mudcrab though. Nobody was boss as he. I watched him take on one of those huge jellyfishfuckers once.

I'm with you. First time being told what it's like to be a god (believable and mind fuck).

It was literally like going to another world.

Everything had a unique history and/or explanation

>Spawn on boat
>Steal everything from every house in the starter village
>Sell in the next town
>Steal the armor and weapons from vendors there, equip them
>Steal everything of value and sell in the next town
>You won

Easiest game ever. You can literally just fucking jump on the roof and get away every time

Started playing Morrowind three years ago, and have played all of the Elder Scrolls games since then. Morrowind is the best of all of them.

Half the people in this thread are not even old enough to have played fallout 1 or 2.

You're wrong when it comes to oblivion

Oblivion > Morrowind > Skyrim

Holy shit I just remember the lusty chambermaid...

getting this mad kek

>>mysticism
>I would say its about equal to Skyrim's

What did he mean by this?

Didn't play much morrowind. Oblivion was my life for a while. Skyrim felt watered down as fuck. It took me like 4 years to actually give it a real shot when i gave up on it originally when i realized you couldn't choose skills.

Story+intrigue+plot? It's great. Probably the best RPG I'll ever play.

Everything else? Cobbled together by cavemen, or made by the players some time afterwards.

>Using the Wikia

Use uesp.net, it's much better.

How old do you need to be to play?

Every Tess Game has been amazing in each of their own rights with Skyrim being the most aesthetic.

Oblivion was clunky and weird, but had some of the most rewarding and creative quests for the time.

Morrowind God I loved mortowind. I must have been 12 when I first played it, waiting for Oblivion to be released.
At first I hated it, dropped it for a month then came back on new hope to quench the wait for TES: IV.

And I got gud, I sunk 1200 hours into that game and still played it after Oblivion released. Well until my save file corrupted...
Ughhh fucking livid about that.

One negative thing all the games including Fallout have in common is "fetch quest"...yeah that's 90% of the games content.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Bethesda pumps out next.

>What did he mean by this?
This isn't Sup Forums. Stop.

This