Ok, so I discovered there are software that converts a hum into notes

ok, so I discovered there are software that converts a hum into notes.

Are there any example of any musician that use it?

why would you want to use it?

need to make some music and have no musical training nor talent.

I can still hum some kickass shit though.

if you want to be a better musician you should be looking to develop software in your brain that converts a hum into notes

>Not thaving perfect pitch
I don't understand how one can be a musician without it

>thaving
fuck

Eh? The vast majority of musicians don't have perfect pitch. RELATIVE pitch is what you need to be a musician. Perfect pitch isn't really that useful, just a party trick where you can say "oh that's a G#" without first hearing any reference pitch.

whats the software called? is it pic related - piano roll?

Not really, considering we use the computer as an extension of our brain.

>Perfect pitch isn't really that useful
And that's where you're wrong. Being able to transcribe a solo without having to touch an instrument is pretty useful. There are more uses, but it's definitely not just a "party trick".

requesting software name

I would guess it's Sonar X2. The piano roll is an interface for inputting MIDI data that most DAW's have (named after the roll of paper with holes punched in it you would put inside an old player piano to program it)

I can transcribe a solo without having to touch an instrument, all I need is to use a reference pitch to figure out what ONE of the notes are and then I can go from there using relative pitch. So I guess it takes me about 5 seconds longer than someone with perfect pitch, damn.

dumb

But it's much easier to use the computer to express your ideas when you already know what notes you want, rather than trying to have it figure that out for you

Which someone with perfect pitch doesn't need, you don't *always* have a reference pitch. See, someone with perfect pitch doesn't have OP's problem. They hear something in their head, pick up an instrument and just play it. Not that it's impossible to be a musician without it, but it's definitely a useful tool that makes everything easier.

>they hear something in their head, pick up an instrument and just play it

But so do I... I don't think you really understand what relative pitch is and why it is much more relevant to music than perfect pitch.

Here's the only difference that would occur in someone with good relative pitch versus someone with perfect pitch, trying to play what they heard in their head.

Perfect pitch guy hears melody in the key of G in his head, plays it.

I hear a melody in my head, I'm not sure what key I'm hearing it in, so I take 2 seconds to find the root note, play it.

Honestly, it's really not that big of an advantage and I'll guarantee you the majority of people you think of as exceptional players do not have perfect pitch.

That is complete bullshit

So what you are saying is perfect pitch is worse than relative pitch?

That doesn't really make sense because they aren't mutually exclusive. Someone with perfect pitch, if they are a musician, will also have relative pitch.

Live is good at that shit

To clarify, relative pitch (knowing the intervals between the notes) is what allows both me and someone with perfect pitch to know how to play what they heard in their head. Perfect pitch just allows them to bypass the short step of figuring out what the key is.

I mean I'm talking as a non-musician, who doesn't have perfect pitch. From what you're saying, perfect pitch is useless. BUT, perfect pitch is, from my understanding of it, a tool if you will, that makes everything (music-related, of course) easier. I can't see how it could be considered useless.

Wherehas relative pitch is not as precise as perfect pitch because you still have to identify the key a melody is in, using an external reference, and also having to identify the intervals between the notes of the melody, someone with perfect pitch just hears the melody and plays it without having to think about any of this. Someone is clearly the winner between the two.

Thousands of "x in midi" videos.

at least you will get the notes right

>Wherehas relative pitch is not as precise as perfect pitch because you still have to identify the key a melody is in, using an external reference, and also having to identify the intervals between the notes of the melody

But I think you're under the impression that all of that is a lot of effort for a musician without perfect pitch. When I hear a melody, I know instantly what the root note (the note the key is named after) SOUNDS like, I just don't know it's name, and so it's as simple as finding that note on a piano or guitar. As for identifying the intervals, as a good musician that happens intuitively. You already know what they are, hence being able to play it right away as soon as you know the key.

And in fact, anyone who can sing along to something in tune is identifying intervals even if they don't know that's they're doing, so if it's that easy for people who aren't musicians imagine how easy it is for those who are.

But you're not disagreeing that having perfect pitch is still an advantage over not having it, even if it isn't necessary

I must ask, how does it work? Is it good? Because I know that if you convert an audio (usually WAV) file to .MIDI and import it into a sequencer the outcome is usually awful. Sure, you can manually remove any excess notes but it's still nearly impossible to get it completely right if you go that route. Looking at that screenshot, I can't help but think it does the same thing. Could anyone maybe export an example of them humming a famous song and upload it to vocaroo?

Basically in music, the relationship between notes is much more important than the notes themselves. Being able to identify that a note is the 3rd note of the scale is more important than being able to identify that it is, say, a Bb, without reference. If there is any advantage it is not significant.

>can hum some kickass shit
Singer here. You're probably really off key. If you've never recorded yourself in the past, you're DEFINITELY off key. You don't really sound the way you think you do. I learned that the hard way. Your actual voice sounds different than the way you hear it, if that makes any sense at all.

Not him but I usually put my hands facing upwards and push into my face to block the sound. When you sing then you should hear how you sound. Essentially like pic related but you can easily do it with your hands

I mean the rythm and some interval melodic structure, sorry bout that.

That's just blocking the sound of the reverb in the room, but there's no way to block out bone conduction

I guess. I sound the same as that though when recorded.