Sup Sup Forums

Sup Sup Forums
I'm gonna go to survive in the Alaskan wilderness to survive for 40 days this spring. I'm packing bare minimum, so only a rifle, knife, fire starter, and water bottle.
Any suggestions? Any other items i should consider?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OKUj-nsEzoI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What kind of through hiking, or wilderness survival experience do you have?

I teach the very thing you're looking to go do. No, I'm not trying to sell to you, I'm genuinely concerned with your experience level.

a fleshlight

A girlfriend

A pad and pen so that your family has a record of your final days

Don't end up like Treadwell is all I'm saying

You'll only need one bullet for the rifle for killing yourself, save some time.

i have hiked but have not hunted, need to get the hang of that
some basic boyscout knowledge but thats it

If you're serious, you should go to /out/
Cause, you're gonna die.
$5 says anal trauma from breeding caribou.

gonna write my will before i go

lol who hasn't gone hiking. Pretty sure anyone past the age of like 10 has gone hiking before

Maybe try doing something like The Great Divide Trail or Pacific Crest Trail to get the hang of surviving out in the wild first.

A twelve foot long, four sided, double ended, uranium dildo.
Use it to call forth the Forbidden Ones and hit things.

Aluminum pot 2-3 qt
paracord 50 ft min.
needle/thread
Iodine
soap

well i have time to prep, so is there any pressing skills that i need to learn

Bears like to get surprised

thanks

Just do the GDT or PCT. It will eat up a year of your life and it's probably exactly what you're looking for anyway. The PCT takes about 300 days, the GDT takes like 100-150 days.
They're difficult as fuck but you at least encounter civilization every 50-60 days to refill on food, medicine, etc.

Lard.
What you do.is you find a tree with a nice sized hole and you lube it up and go to town

What rifle?

idk man, i want to be a little riskier.

Water filter for camping. Watch the movie "Wild".

not sure, suggestions?

Spring is the toughest time of the year to survive off the land cityfag, go in late summer/early fall when there's lots to gather and the deer are easy to hunt because they're in rut.

Quite a few people die on those trails if that's what you're so concerned about.
On the PCT you'll go from +40C to -40C, no cell signal, generally no gps signal, and many solo hikers get killed by grizzly bears when they hit Canada and go on the GDT.

I suggest a Kalashnikov Durian Launcher. Made of solid Thorium, and a decent clip size. It can take out anything bro.

Eskimo repellant

Big enough to take down a bear.
Small enough that a squirrel won't explode.

30-06 or 300 Win Mag range.

talk to the locals in the area

Broski.

You need to find a class, or something. Water collection and purification, shelter building, fire starting. Small game trapping and hunting. Cold weather survival.

I've literally been doing this shit since I was about 6. Dad was a Ranger, I grew up in the BSA, made Eagle Scout. I've hiked the PCT, climbed Mt. Rainier, done the 6-pack peaks challenge here in Southern California.

I've already done what you're seeking to do.

You need a lot more time on the trail, and a lot more experience in self reliance.

thanks

>small enough squirrels don't explode
>suggests 300 win

You don't shoot much, do you?

can you hunt on it though?

Living in Alaska, I have experience with this sort of stuff. You'll need a water filter unless you want to shit streams of skank mud and also some rain gear. Rope is nice to have but not nesscary and you will definitely want to read over plants and berries to stay away from. We have one flower up here that's rare but could send you to the hospital if you touch it.

this. More experience....there was a guy who went to Alaska just off the cuff and died because he was an idot. Christopher McCandless. There's a book of his short adventure.

>You don't shoot much, do you?

You don't hunt much, do you?

His heart was in the perfect place, it's a shame his experience and skills was not.

He literally died a few miles from help...

Also if you want a class. Like a legit class go to a local college called Alaska pacafic university (APU). All the degrees and stuff are outdoors related and you will learn how to live off of the woods real quick

There are small business that also teach these things (mine being one of them) but yes, anything... anything more than you already know.

Yous a gonna die out there bro.

Something durable, like the Henry 45-70 all weather, sure it packs a punch and will hurt you're shoulder after the first shotbut you'll get used to it especially out there, available in lower calibers too. Also be able to take down pretty much whatever you set your sights on, helpful when trying to get some deer steaks for dinner.

It crosses all the way from northern mexico and if you back to back the PCT with the GDT you can only hunt on like 50% of the trails I believe. It goes through national, provincial, and state parks in each country. You'll need a passport obviously since you're going to be travelling across 3 countries although you'll only need to stamp it in mexico. Sometimes helicopters will land as you cross the canadian border and ask to see your passport though (pretty rare though)

PCT starts in northern Mexico, ends in southern canada, and the GDT chains with it and ends in Northern Canada. If you do the full experience you'll basically in the wilderness for about 350+ days depending on how fast you go.
Most people don't hunt though, you plan food and supply drops at post offices and walk to towns near the trails. Hunting has a lot of regulations as is, like even in hunting areas you don't just go shooting every fucking thing you see, that's illegal.

It was a sad story....but a good lesson on being prepared before you go into the Great Alaskan wilderness. Living here my whole life and I would still want to be over-prepared.

water filtering canteen and bandages. learn first aid and make sure you have enough layers and never sleep in the dirt or you will freeze to death.

that's exactly what i want to do though

then research as much as possible about self survival, and get to know the area you are going to be traveling in. Know the landmarks, learn how to navigate with a compass, (learn to make a compass), learn the pattern of the sun in Alaska (it is VERY different in the summer days), learn about the wildlife (both to eat and to defend yourself against), find a river or water source in the area with drinkable water (learn how to find good water without using a filter). just to get you started.

He wasn't an idiot. He graduated from an ivy league school.

One of the stories I tell in my hiking safety class, is of this 50 something year old, experienced through hiker, was training for kilimanjaro.

She was hiking alone in the San Gabriel Mountains here, slipped and broke her ankle. She didn't have anything more than her 1 literally bag, no coat, was wearing the typical under armor stuff.

She died from exposure in 50-60 overnight temps. And she was experienced.

Get training, skills training, experience... shoot, toss a 15 pound backpack on and try to hike 4 miles. Trust me... it'll put you in your place. I normally run a 20 pound day bag, 3 liter bag of water, and my normal kit. When I through hike, or multi day, I carry up to 60 pounds, and average and round 45.

We have a 40 mile hike we do every year, 20 in, 20 out. Takes three days, we like to leisure a little at the peak. I pack a 50-60 pound bag.

op how much exp do you have in camping?

He seems really, really adamant on killing himself. Just let him be man

Being educated does not preclude you from being an idiot.

i don't want to die, but i realize that i could.
i want a tale to tell if i live

honestly the most irritating thing will be the mosquitos and black flies so until you deal with that problem you won't be able to focus on more important shit like hunting/gathering, tending your fire, and staying alive.

>He wasn't an idiot.
>Ivy League son!
>dies of starvation
>less than 20 miles from town

I stand corrected.

Also get literature on Alaskan Plants and other edible things. Learn to fish and trap/Hunt

>He wasn't an idiot. He graduated from an ivy league school.

Lot's of idiots come from Ivy League.
Obama & Bush come to mind.

I've volunteered to maintain trails in the rocky mountains in Canada and a lot of the hardcore hikers there might have degrees, but many do not. It makes no difference. They all agree that the only way to actually make it is to train. It's pure physical exertion, you don't learn it in a book. You don't just magically cook food because you read it and if you drink shit water you could die when you're firing out liquid shits every half hour into a river in the middle of nowhere and if you're on a trail in the rockies in Canada your best bet is hoping someone on horseback comes to help you because you sure as hell aren't encountering hikers on backcountry trails too often.

When you start a legitimate multi-day hike you see like hundreds of people set off but if it's a 10+ day long trail I guarantee you by the 4th or 5th day you won't see anyone. Nobody lasts more than 3 or 4 days before turning back unless they have an actual guide assisting them or they're on horseback or mountain biking.

Mosquito netting. I'm not kidding.

Kekaroos, and I suppose you come from Stanford?

are there mosquitos in alaska?

MIT actually.

Sure you did lad. I believe you.

Take an axe. Also, first aid, an emergency beacon, water purification, a space blanket, a signal mirror, a pot, and cordage. Make sure you write and file a will, and make sure someone knows where to come find your body if you don't turn up. Last, the rifle, 308 or better, magazine rifle, large frame revolver as a backup.

clap your hands in front of you and you'll have killed 8. take a breath and they will smother you. the air will go dark with their numbers, the buzz of their wings defeaning. they are truly hellspawn

Read Into the Wild.

Reconsider.

this is exactly what i was thinking. Into the Wild all over again.

seen the movie, part of my inspiration

>Sure you did lad. I believe you.
I really don't care, Faggot.

Of course there are mosquitos. Common mosquitoes can survive down to live -5C before they even hibernate

The guy was a liberal hipster moron.
He and nature were going to be buddy's and he was expecting a spiritual experience.

Nature hates you and wants you dead.

/ I guess he did get his spiritual experience though.

youtube.com/watch?v=OKUj-nsEzoI

seriously. damn things will eat you alive, not to mention distract you from the important things like gathering and shelter.