John Carpenter thread

halloweenmovies.com/john-carpenter-returns-to-halloween/

>John Carpenter, the multiple award-winning and legendary filmmaker and creator of the original Halloween films, will return to the franchise as executive producer on a new production of the iconic horror movie, it was jointly announced today by MIRAMAX® and Trancas International Films — MIRAMAX® and Blumhouse Productions will co-finance development and production, with Malek Akkad serving as producer under his Trancas banner and Jason Blum producing for Blumhouse. MIRAMAX®, which holds worldwide distribution rights, will determine its theatrical distribution partner at a future date.

>John Carpenter said: “38 years after the original Halloween I’m going to help to try to make the 10th sequel the scariest of them all.”

How do you feel about this, Sup Forums? What's your favorite film of his? Are you going to see him on his tour?

Other urls found in this thread:

storify.com/tvaziri/guillermo-del-toro-s-tweetstorm-about-john-carpent
youtu.be/Q3_QOVaBA98
bloody-disgusting.com/exclusives/3392162/heres-told-directing-halloween-exclusive/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>"Michael Myers is not a character," Carpenter said at an event announcing the deal. "He's not a person. He's a force of nature. He's one part human and one part supernatural."

Rob Zombie B T F O

Someone needs to post Based del Toro going HAM on twitter last night

storify.com/tvaziri/guillermo-del-toro-s-tweetstorm-about-john-carpent

thats great

even if its half as good as the original Halloween, it'll take a huge shit all over Rob Zombie's horrible movies.

>producer

It's fucking nothing.

rob did fine with those remakes and I thought the part where he tried to instill empathy on mike and show his tumultuous upbringing was nice but the movie in general wasnt very good

rather smoke some dank and eat CPT SPAULDINGS FAMOUS CHICKEN

I liked Rob Zombie's Halloween movies.

Nah you need to read between the lines. He's pushing 80 and really doesn't have the energy to be directing hands on anymore. The director will be some young dude that he hand picks and this will be the first true Carpenter movie in a decade (and probably the last).

He'll probably make the score and he'll have some say over how the film's made. That's better than him having no involvement whatsoever. Also, it's pretty shocking that he's returning to the franchise. After Season of the Witch flopped it seemed like he had given up on it forever.

>How do you feel about this, Sup Forums?

I don't get my hopes up at all because Carpenter is one of the most inconsistent filmmakers of his generation. Also

He produced the solid first sequel and the underrated part 3 back in the day

Before the 90s, Carpenter was a very consistent filmmaker. If he had quit directing right after the release of They Live he would have a nearly perfect filmography.

Pretty spooked, to be honest.

>One night, over dinner, I told John Carpenter, how much all generations love The Thing. How amazing it was that it had over time, "found its audience" and was now revered. "What fucking good does that do to me" he said. We ordered dessert.

>As one of the producers of THE THINg I was the first person to visit John after the opening weekend. When he opened the door he looked ten years older - as if he had physically been punched in the gut.He was really bothered by the idea that he had made something unclean, almost unfit for public consumption. Had a few beers and decided, indeed, to "Fuck them all "

HOLY CRAP YES! John Carpenter is my favorite director and him returning to Hollywood in any capacity is amazing! I loved his Lost Themes release last year and I wouldn't have minded him sticking with music, but I really hope this means more films coming from Carpenter in the future! I really want another Carpenter/Russell team-up!

>I loved his Lost Themes release last year
Are you going to see him on his tour? I'm seeing him in NY. I bought meet & greet tickets so I'm really excited.

Is this going to be like Halloween III or more Michael Myers shit? I hope it's an anthology thing. This seems like a good chance to turn the franchise back into what he wanted in the first place.

Imagine a new Halloween coming out every year, completely different than the last.

he's coming to Paris at the end of the year, i would be fucking glad to be able to see him there

Why does his ability as a filmmaker completely disappear when he's given a decent budget? It's like he can only make good films if he has literally no money to work with.

It's probably gonna be more Michael Myers but no details have been leaked about the script so it could be an anthology film. Keep your fingers crossed.

I understand what Rob was trying to do but all it did was cheapen and demystify the character.

I'd see him but he's playing at a really lame sit down theater in my city. I'd be there instantly if he played a club or bar or indie venue

youtu.be/Q3_QOVaBA98

>The Thing (budget: $15 million)
>Christine (budget: $10 million)
>Starman (budget: $24 million)
>Big Trouble in Little China (budget: $20 million)
>"It's like he can only make good films if he has literally no money to work with."

>Ghosts of Mars (budget: $28 million)
>shit
>Halloween (budget: $300,000–$325,000)
>classic

I pretty consistently love his filmography, from Dark Star right up until Escape from LA (with the exception of Memoirs of an Invisible Man and Village of the Damned).

Too bad Halloween 1 fucking sucks and is Carpenter's worst film by far

better luck in the next life you old hack

0/10

>Halloween
Literally nothing happens : The Film. Only the music was good

Nice samefagging.

Nice redditfagging.

I don't understand why people who claim to be Carpenter fans don't like Ghosts of Mars.

Oh god I wish. Unfortunately he doesn't have any shows near me and I just recently had surgery so even if I could afford to travel I wouldn't be able to go very far. :(

That would be amazing.

> DUDE RAPPERS MAKE THE BEST ACTORS

Not same fagging or baiting, I strongly dislike Halloween and have tried and tried to understand why it is so well loved but it just gets worse every time I watch it. Bad film with no suspense and a stupid plot. I don't enjoy feeling this way, I promise, but I can't help it

Do you like any of Carpenter's films?

>DUDE WRESTLERS MAKE THE BEST ACTORS

I'm going to be on a roadtrip through all his major tour destinations in the NW, but sadly I am too poor to afford even the cheapest tickets. Also I'm not sure how I would feel about hearing him live. I like his work but concerts aren't really my thing except for punk music and stuff you can fight to. This seems more like an orchestral event

>DUDE WRAP YOUR PENIS AROUND MY NECK LMAO

Yes, I thought Dark Star was okay. Liked Assault on Precinct 13 and Escape from NY. Loved The Thing, They Live, and Big Trouble in Little China. Haven't seen Escape from LA in quite a while.

That's all I've seen, unfortunately.

>it's a Curtis sees Myers and no one believes her scene
>it's a Long shot but nothing scary happens scene
>it's a Myers is down but I'll just leave him there with a weapon nearby scene
>it's a Curtis drops her weapon for no reason scene
Bravo Hackpenter

The fog is really simple story wise, but worth the watch

>Escape from LA
It's definitely the weaker of the two but I have a very fond spot for it in my heart, I just adore it.

Yeah, I remember starting to watch it as a kid but for whatever reason I didn't finish. I need to revisit it. Same with Vampires, though I'm not sure how good that one will be

man I keep feeling like he's broke and that's why he is doing shit like this.

This is why he is broke

Vampires is decent, but if you read the book first, you won't like it. Basically, the only thing it has in common with the book Vampire$ (the title isn't even the same) is the name of 2 of the characters.

There's also a sequel with Bon Jovi. It's so low budget and the cast outside the main one is so green and awkward that I can't even hate on it, just like I can't make fun of a paraplegic autistic mongoloid kid with lupus and AIDS.

vampires I stopped after 10 minutes - when the motel brawl happened
it was awful. I never thought I'd see a carpenter movie that was that bad.

>10th sequel
???

>>it's a Curtis sees Myers and no one believes her scene
>>it's a Long shot but nothing scary happens scene
Those scenes were great, you pleb. Not enough jump scares for you?
>>it's a Myers is down but I'll just leave him there with a weapon nearby scene
>>it's a Curtis drops her weapon for no reason scene
It's completely believable that a teenage girl would act like an idiot when thrown into a life threatening situation.

Based Carpenter

Why the fuck they still making Halloweens?

because you're gay

they live is great. suck my dick. it had a great fight scene BECAUSE they knew what they were doing.

With the notable exception of The Evil Dead, every horror franchise gets relentlessly milked until it's total shit. Although Halloween hit rock bottom a long time ago so the only way they can go is up. I'm kinda looking forward to the new one since based Carpenter is going to be involved.

what a stupid bot. we get it. shes ugly as fuck and youre a fat piece of shit who takes the internet very seriously

bloody-disgusting.com/exclusives/3392162/heres-told-directing-halloween-exclusive/

>Mike Flanagan

But he is directing "I know what you did last summer" reboot for 2017.

>Mike Flanagan
Is he any good? I've never watched any of his films.

Very nice. Flanagan hopefully can be a future great horror director( quite an inexistent species in the last decades). His works so far are quite interesting and clearly evolving.

The Thing Prequel by Carpenter confirmed?

I hope he scores it. Lost Themes (I/II) were great.

First, executive producing doesn't mean shit.

Second, Carpenter is just in it for the check.

Ghosts of Mars is a piece of shit because it's John Carpenter celebrating himself. It took all of his movies concepts and threw them in a blender, and guess what? It tastes like shit.

Yay carpenter. Lost Themes ii came out recently, might be even better than the first album.

>Rob Zombie B T F O
go watch Halloween 2 again. It's actually pretty fucking good. Weird as piss, but I liked the changes this time around.
Hated the fucking movie the first time I saw it.

Sadly this.

I like his music to be honest.

The second one is excellent.

literally who?

MUH DICK HOLY SHIT YES

>People getting excited over this

You're wrong by 25 years, friends