Sup Forumscore cinema

Anyone else felt like High Fidelity basically portrays Sup Forums? I just needed Jack Black to say "pleb" or something and it would have been perfect.

Also, recommend movies about music and movies people in this board will probably like.

Bouncing this thread with a couple other movies I like, starting with Frank - a newer one which I have grown to absolutely love.

> featured commercial hollywood movie
>royal trux in the soundtrack
yup, I fuck with that movie heavily.

I'm Not There is incredible in my opinion, for avoiding the biggest trap biographical movies tend to fall in: telling the artists personal story. This movie is free from the tiresome craft of tying the artist's personal story with the world of his work, and instead follows what is really meaningful to us - the art (and the artist depicted within it) as a social and cultural phenomena.

It's weird, but I hated and liked it. The music making scenes where just way too cringey, but I liked the character interactions.

Juno

whiplash is pretty goat

I think they were supposed to be cringy, I think. Sort of a parody about pretentious bands. For me it's just the way they move around the studio though, I kinda dig the results... Even had the soundtrack on my phone for a while just for the 'weird' tracks.

Was it really a parody though? I thought it was based on the original Frank.

I love it as a movie, really cool and well made, but I feel like it misunderstood jazz. As long as you view drumming in the dude's life as an arbitrary element of strive for improvement and not as what drumming really is (an art...) - it works.

I think a subtle point of the movie is that the psycho teacher is approaching jazz completely wrong - his obsession with perfection is at odds with what jazz is mostly about

It only took the mask part from the original Frank. The band and the music are loosely based on Beefheart and a couple other weird ass artists. And yeah, i'm pretty sure it was a parody, because of the role this part plays in the movie (showing all the stupid shit Frank and the band thinks they have to do to express their talent).

Sing Street, albeit a bit corny, was pretty good

That's actually an interesting idea, but then, what does the movie mean? The cold, tehnical playing was never met with "the real" jazz as far as I remember. Even when the student leaves for a while, it's more about him seeing what there is to life outside of obsessive training than about discovering what jazz is all about. And then he just returns.

high fidelity is my favorite feel good movie
you should also check out american pop

I thought the movie was more a deconstruction of the 'hip to be depressed thing', like the ginger guy kept looking for some bleak life event to make him not shit at songwriting and then realises that he just can't do it.

>The cold, tehnical playing was never met with "the real" jazz as far as I remember. Even when the student leaves for a while, it's more about him seeing what there is to life outside of obsessive training than about discovering what jazz is all about. And then he just returns.

this. i mean, basically this is a movie about type-A personalities who happen to play jazz. they don't "express themselves," they perfect their craft. but that's why the final scene is so key, the kid gets pushed so far, the teacher breaks him publicly, he realizes he has nothing left to lose; NOW he is ready to express himself, he says "fuck you" to the teacher and "I know I'm the best" to the influential audience through his playing. and since it's the first time we see him play emotionally, it transcends.

I do actually like That Thing You Do.

Pump Up the Volume
Sid and Nancy
the Tapeheads

none are perfect movies, but cool and the music is awesome. PUtV' key track is Cohen's "Everybody Knows" and the credits have a version by Concrete Blonde, Napolitano can really pipe.

S&N is flawed (Rotten's actor really sucks, for just one) but it's an Alex Cox movie, stars Gary Oldman and there are good versions of "Oh Bondage Up Yours" and Eddie Cochran's "Somethin' Else"

Tapeheads' was scored by Fishbone who also perform, there are a billion music-related cameos, and the main act is The Swanky Modes played by Sam Moore (Sam & Dave) and Jr. Walker